201b. Bulletin Board

Vincent Waller

Floating Shopping List
Visually the Bigger changes will be more apparent in the season 10 episodes.
Season 9 had us busy doing a LOT of rewrites of overly long scripts.
Which cut into our plussing draw ins time.
For the record a 25 page script for an 11 minute show is entirely too long, at least for an episode of SpongeBob.

JerryTheSnail said:
I didn't notice any difference in appearance.
Just a heads up, ALL the new episodes of Spongebob will be available on Hulu.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
Visually the Bigger changes will be more apparent in the season 10 episodes.
Season 9 had us busy doing a LOT of rewrites of overly long scripts.
Which cut into our plussing draw ins time.
For the record a 25 page script for an 11 minute show is entirely too long, at least for an episode of SpongeBob.

Just a heads up, ALL the new episodes of Spongebob will be available on Hulu.
My bad, I should've been more clear. Someone thought Bubble Bass looked different and I was just saying I didn't notice. The animation itself was amazing, lots of great drawings. I'm definitely looking forward to season 10.

Vincent Waller

Floating Shopping List
JerryTheSnail said:
My bad, I should've been more clear. Someone thought Bubble Bass looked different and I was just saying I didn't notice. The animation itself was amazing, lots of great drawings. I'm definitely looking forward to season 10.

JerryTheSnail said:
No, That was my bad. :) thank you for watching. Bubble Bass will be popping up a few places in Season 10

KrustyKrab

Part Computer or Something
Vincent Waller said:
Bubble Bass will be popping up a few places in Season 10
Were those Bubble Bass storyboards you posted on Twitter from Season 10?

nortonstime said:
While I loved the vibrancy of this episode, I thought it didn't quite live up to its concept.

First off, we get too much leading up to Spongebob's creation of the bulletin board. That could've established the premise with one shot and one line but instead we get Spongebob coming up with the idea and the overly long scene with the grandma. However, the episode really does pick up once the townspeople start getting into it. One thing I noticed is that Mr. Krabs (despite the usual references to his greed) seemed to care about how well-liked the Krusty Krab is and how nasty people were becoming. My favorite part of the episode is definitely when things spiral out of control and the comments turn vicious, along with people's reactions.

Nice to see that Bubble Bass hasn't changed at all (not). He's still trying to rile people up. Squidward stands up to him this time, which is nice. I really liked his line "I'll give you a number... Of contusions!" Guess he really gained confidence after learning karate.

(Spoilers follow):

I didn't like how most of the comments could be traced back to Patrick. Sure, he meant well and he wasn't being cruel on purpose, but in my opinion, finding out who PStar7 was didn't matter as everyone was being cruel to each other. He may have inadvertently started it, but everyone propagated it. It was satisfying watching Mr. Krabs throw people out of the Krusty Krab, but as usual, the townspeople don't really learn their lesson.

Squidward's reaction to seeing a negative review of him was funny, though: "Don't you yokos know I'm working here IRONICALLY?!"

The episode peters down when we get to the stakeout scene. Apparently Squidward has a tattoo now (what?) which Mr. Krabs and Spongebob make fun of. It's another Squidbob moment but oh well, I guess that was inevitable. Mr. Krabs destroying the bulletin board seemed like a casual affair than the climax they were trying to make it be, but it was nice how he moved Patrick out of the way instead of taking his anger out on him.

Interesting note: this episode leads directly into Food Con Castaways because everyone takes up knitting in the end, which is why Squidward is knitting in the next episode. "Bring back PStar7!" was kind of random. Now I'm wondering if there's supposed to be an episode leading up to this that explains Squidward's tattoo.
Is it ironic that "yoko" stands for "You only kill once."

BubbleBass9

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I liked this episode didn't really care that it was predictable still thought it was funny

BubbleBass9

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I really liked this episode it was cool seeing Bubblebass in the episode and it was just overall funny it was a lot like the episode

9.5/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
It finally aired in Greece on Wednesday, December 28, 2016 ....It was AMAZINGG ...I really liked the plot and the fish lady in the beginning was a good touch and addition to the show...and to continue the plot...I liked how they couldn't find out that PStar was Patrick when it was that obvious...I also liked SpongeBob's nickname in the board...the ending was good too, Mr.Krabs got crazy :P so what a better idea than mitting :PP it was so funny.. I also liked SpongeBob caring for the board...Mr.Krabs was like ''Let's just take it down'' , and SB was like ''NOOO, we can't...'' it was funny too ...some good quotes too... I'll give it 9.5/10

mitchellthespongebobfan

Imitation Krab
The concept of a Bulletin Board coming to the Krusty Krab has great potential, but also has the chance of failing; the idea of a new thing coming to the restaurant has been used before in episodes like Skill Crane and Drive Thru, but I think it worked really well here, producing a generally unique feel. This episode was really good, especially for one based in the overused location of the Krusty Krab. The beginning felt a bit rushed, but it wasn't a problem as it helped get the plot going right away. Mr. Krabs greed wasn't unbearable in this episode, and the reappearance of Twitch along with the music from The Big One was I nice touch too. The jokes included were funny as well, most notably the sequence of characters reading insults about themselves from the board. One problem I did have with the episode was how obvious it was that Patrick was PStar7, but it wasn't too big of an issue. On a more positive note, I loved the inclusion of Bubble Bass. It was nice to see him back in a speaking role after so long, and I agree with others in the statement that he should be a part of more Krusty Krab conflicts. The stake out near the end was a nice touch, but the destruction of the bulletin board felt rushed. However, I did enjoy the closing scene that featured the characters knitting. Overall, the episode was somewhere in between good and amazing, as I didn't really have any major complaints but also it didn't stick out a ton.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
VERY funny, honestly! I'm not a Bikini Bottomites fan at all but this time they really played an important part in the episode's story, which made them better characters overall. To start and end the episode with the same fish was a smart move to make. And Bubble Bass cat-fighting with Squidward I could honestly go back and watch again.

I like this episode. There weren't too many gags, but there were a few, and they worked well. The true strength of the episode is the way it handles its conflict. Its conflict is an actual issue in the real world, and the episode portrays it really well by doing so realistically but also adding in a few funny jokes to take away from the seriousness of the issue. 8/10

Cha

I love SBM
I really like how this was suppose to be like a message board online and they even got the nosy Bubblebass along for the ride. And also liked how Patrick was just trying to be friendly all along. They have have kept it the anon writer a secret, but we've probably would have seen it coming anyways. This is one of my top favorites of the later SpongeBob era.

I liked this one. It's a great and funny portrayal of internet media, and it does a good job with the humor and a great job with the plot. Great episode.

Ranking so far:
1. CopyBob DittoPants (A+)
2. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
3. Larry's Gym (A+)
4. License to Milkshake (A)
5. Tutor Sauce (A)
6. Evil Spatula (A)
7. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
8. Patrick! The Game (A)
9. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
10. Bulletin Board (A)
11. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
12. Sharks vs. Pods (A)
13. Lame and Fortune (B)
14. Bumper to Bumper (B)
15. Plankton's Pet (B)
16. Jailbreak! (B)
17. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
18. Patrick-Man! (B)
19. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (B)
20. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (B)
21. Yeti Krabs (B)
22. Sold! (B)
23. Extreme Spots (B)
24. Mall Girl Pearl (B)
25. Squid Plus One (B)
26. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
27. Gary's New Toy (B)
28. Company Picnic (B)
29. Don't Look Now (C)
30. Squirrel Record (C)
31. Sandy's Nutmare (C)
32. The Executive Treatment (C)
33. Two Thumbs Down (C)
34. The Fish Bowl (C)
35. Seance Shmeance (C)
36. SpongeBob LongPants (C)
37. Sanctuary! (D)
38. Squid Defense (D)
39. Kenny the Cat (D)
40. Married to Money (E)
41. Squid Baby (E)
42. Little Yellow Book (F)
43. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was really funny and really clever. As someone who spends a lot of time on the internet, I think they handled the metaphor for real online message boards really well. It was also nice to see Bubblebass back, and I think they utilized him here well too. My only problem is that they made it very obvious who P-Star 7 was, and that kinda retracted from my enjoyment of the ending, but it's only a minor gripe in this otherwise really good episode.

Good episode (8/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Bulletin Board (8)
5. Sold! (8)
6. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (8)
7. Squid Plus One (8)
8. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
9. Pull up a Barrel (8)
10. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
11. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
12. Tutor Sauce (7)
13. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
14. Lame and Fortune (7)
15. Larry's Gym (7)
16. Jailbreak (7)
17. Copybob Dittopants (7)
18. Sandy's Nutmare (7)
19. License to Milkshake (6)
20. Patrick! the Game (6)
21. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
22. Extreme Spots (6)
23. The Executive Treatment (6)
24. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
25. Squid Defense (6)
26. Gary's New Toy (6)
27. Bumper to Bumper (6)
28. Squirrel Record (5)
29. Séance Schméance (5)
30. Two Thumbs Down (5)
31. Patrick-Man! (5)
32. Married to Money (5)
33. Evil Spatula (5)
34. Company Picnic (5)
35. Kenny the Cat (5)
36. Sanctuary! (5)
37. Spongebob Longpants (4)
38. The Fish Bowl (4)
39. Yeti Krabs (4)
40. Don't Look Now (4)
41. Squid Baby (3)
42. Little Yellow Book (2)
43. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Bulletin Board (8)
4. Sold! (8)
5. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (8)
6. Squid Plus One (8)
7. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
8. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
9. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
10. Tutor Sauce (7)
11. Lame and Fortune (7)
12. Larry's Gym (7)
13. Copybob Dittopants (7)
14. Sandy's Nutmare (7)
15. Patrick! the Game (6)
16. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
17. The Executive Treatment (6)
18. Two Thumbs Down (5)
19. Married to Money (5)
20. Company Picnic (5)
21. Sanctuary! (5)
22. Spongebob Longpants (4)
23. The Fish Bowl (4)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, “Bulletin Board”…I don’t have much to say about you because just like your sister, I haven’t seen you very much at all either.

This episode doesn’t know the meaning of stalling, because we jump right into the plot we’ve been promised basically immediately. Well, we do after a hilarious set up between Mr. Krabs and an old lady. This episode proves once again that SpongeBob is really the heart behind the Krusty Krab business operations, because he comes up with yet another great idea for this restaurant. And I really like the idea in this episode, because it makes Bikini Bottom feel like a legitimate community. Just like in “Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm”, the Krusty Krab is portrayed as a community space. I like that.

Things take a turn once the bulletin board gets its first negative note about the Krusty Krab. And the tensions between private and public reveal themselves here, as Mr. Krabs wants to take the note down, but the public nature of the bulletin board threatens such censorship. Technically, Mr. Krabs would be allowed to do so since it is a privately owned bulletin board lol. But anyway, the note is obviously from Patrick, given that it uses Patrick canonical handwriting, and it is signed by “PStar7”. Of course, we learn later that Patrick wasn’t trying to complain at all, but it was interpreted as such. Which is another thing that supports what I’m about to say in the next paragraph.

The episode takes another turn as the bulletin board starts basically turning into the internet, where negativity thrives in anonymity. And once that comparison becomes clear, I have to say that this episode is extremely clever. I mean, I’ve talked about this before—this show tries not to date itself by adding modern technology. So why would it reference any one social media site (this is definitely Reddit, by the way), when it could just SpongeBob-ify things and make it fit perfectly into the environment of the show? Now we don’t have to question the existence of the Internet or social media in SpongeBob SquarePants. Very clever indeed. Anyway, as the episode goes on, the parallels to the real Internet become more and more clear. And just like the actual internet, I become very annoyed with the masses haha. But in a good way, this time. Patrick becoming a bulletin celebrity is also very par for the course. Great analogies abound.

Once the board gets to be too much, the Krew decides to hold a stakeout to determine the identity of PStar7. And this stakeout is very entertaining. Not to mention, it ends in some fun chaos as Mr. Krabs immediately goes on the attack, destroying the board for good. I love how the episode ends so randomly too, with Mr. Krabs making everyone come with him to a knitting circle so he can calm down.

“Bulletin Board” also sees the return of Bubble Bass as a supporting character, something we haven’t seen in a very, very long time. But I’m excited for when he’ll start being prominent in some of these newer episodes, because he’s a very enjoyable character. Not to mention he sounds exactly like a Redditor or, god forbid, a 4chan user.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Alright fine i will put this one high because It reminds me of the Krabby kronicle and twitter and cyber bullying!
  1. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (14/10)
  2. Bulleting Board (12/10)
  3. Plankton's Pet (10/10)
  4. Patrick! The Game (10/10)
  5. Sharks Vs Pods (10/10)
  6. What's Eating Patrick? (10/10)
  7. Pull Up A Barrel (10/10)
  8. Mall Girl Pear (9.5/10)
  9. Lost In Bikini Bottom (9.5/10)
  10. Patrick-Man! (9.5/10)
  11. Sold! (9.5/10)
  12. Two Thumbs Down (9.5/10)
  13. Sandy's Nutmare (9.5/10_
  14. The Sewers Of Bikini Bottom (9.5/10)
  15. Safe Deposit Krabs (9.5/10)
  16. Evil Spatula (9/10)
  17. Tutor Sauce (9/10)
  18. Don't Look Now (9/10)
  19. Married To Money (9/10)
  20. SpongeBob Long Pants (9/10)
  21. Sanctuary! (8.5/10)
  22. Copybob Ditto pants (8.5/10)
  23. Seance Schmance (8.5/10)
  24. Squid Plus One (8.5/10)
  25. The Fish Bowl (8.5/10)
  26. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8.5/10)
  27. Bumper To Bumper (8.5/10)
  28. Eek, An Urchin! (7/10)
  29. License To Milkshake (6.5/10)
  30. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)
  31. Lame And Fortune (6.5/10)
  32. Jailbreak! (6.5/10)
  33. Gary's New Toy (6.5/10)
  34. Squirrel Record (6/10)
  35. Yeti Krabs (3.5/10)
  36. Squid Defense (3/10)
  37. Company Picnic (2/10)
  38. Kenny The Cat (1/10)
  39. Little Yellow Book (0.5/10)
  40. Squid Baby (0/10)
  41. SpongeBob You're Fired! (-99999999/10)

Back