198a. Sharks vs Pods

J-444

Floating Shopping List
Sgt. Tibbs said:
P.S. If you use headphones and recorded this from TV, did the audio mixing sound a little strange to you (Specifically, the jukebox music at the beginning almost only being on the RIGHT SIDE!?)
Vincent Waller said:
Yes, we did that intentionally in the mix, to give it a cheap old Juke sound.
Okay, then. I somehow never saw this without headphones (What the?) and I feel quite silly now for not recognizing the effect. (If I could watch on my computer with this grand little product...)

Also: Nice to see you here, Vincent! (In an effort to not bombard you with questions (Like some of the fanbase), that is all.)

Nincompoop

Part Computer or Something
I can't get over how good this episode was. Everyone was perfectly in-character, the gags were hilarious...it felt like an episode from s1-3. I loved how it was all just a big dance competition at the end, I didn't even see that coming. The animation was flawless; the parts where the characters were dancing were just so smooth, so big props to the animators for this episode.

10/10!

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
Pretty good, & better than the rest of the May 2016 new week (besides Sold!).

9.7/10

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
Much better than I expected it to be. The build-up was very good, the twists near the ending were very good and Spongebob's dancing was awesome! Patrick and Mr. Krabs have very weird cameos near the end, but it's not a bad thing. Still wonder why Sandy wasn't there, though.

9/10

I adore this episode. The gags are very good. I also love the music in this episode. It's very catchy and exciting. Plus, the random bits with the police officers and business people? Hilarious. Another enjoyable moment is Johnny's "dance". I'm sure most of you noticed Reg and other characters from No Weenies Allowed. 9/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
10/10
Favorite part: When Patrick says, "we saved the rec center"
Overall, a pretty good episode. One of my favorites in the season.

TheDivertRealm

Floating Shopping List
Unpopular Opinions Ep. 2

User's Rating: 4/10
A.R.R: 8/10

Summary: SpongeBob joins "The Sharks", but they meet the Pods, so SpongeBob must help the Sharks win the battle.

Even though I adore the animation, the structure and SpongeBob getting development, this is an episode I don't recommend at all. The twist didn't really lead to anything and this thing isn't even SpongeBob at all. It's more of a poor-man's Grease. Plus, the jokes are lamo here and not many are visible throughout this "out of context" episode. So yeah, in my opinion, it's one of the weakest post-sequel episodes.

Nadir: The dumb twist

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
This episode had jokes. It had plot. My favorite part was the one where Squidward does zany, wacky season 1-3 Squidward stuff. I liked it, but I also don't like it. I give it a 9/11 because it's okay but not great but it's still bad and low-denominator SpongeBob that Casey wrote.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
When I saw Ohio Blackie's post it really made me wonder why I haven't reviewed this episode yet.
I think it's very cool. The awesome outfits give me a T-Birds vibe every time and SpongeBob joining a tough gang is something that the crew has only attempted once, so kudos to them for delivering such a fresh plot. It's really good fun. I love seeing SpongeBob's timid side that later turns to a strong and confident one when trouble falls. And then he has to fight Squidward and the Pods - and I wasn't disappointed by the dance moves he did, either. Heck, I've liked this episode from the very start! :D
The animation was also top-notch - the exact sort that I like. Would've liked it to stay a bit longer, but season 10 and 11's is not completely horrible at least.

A great and enjoyable episode. We don't see too much of these types of episodes. But this one delivers. It's got the action, it's got the comedy, it's got everything. But I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed others.

Ranking so far:
1. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
2. Larry's Gym (A+)
3. License to Milkshake (A)
4. Tutor Sauce (A)
5. Evil Spatula (A)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
7. Patrick! The Game (A)
8. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
9. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
10. Sharks vs. Pods (A)
11. Bumper to Bumper (B)
12. Plankton's Pet (B)
13. Jailbreak! (B)
14. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
15. Patrick-Man! (B)
16. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (B)
17. Yeti Krabs (B)
18. Extreme Spots (B)
19. Mall Girl Pearl (B)
20. Squid Plus One (B)
21. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
22. Gary's New Toy (B)
23. Company Picnic (B)
24. Don't Look Now (C)
25. Squirrel Record (C)
26. The Executive Treatment (C)
27. Two Thumbs Down (C)
28. The Fish Bowl (C)
29. Seance Shmeance (C)
30. SpongeBob LongPants (C)
31. Sanctuary! (D)
32. Squid Defense (D)
33. Kenny the Cat (D)
34. Married to Money (E)
35. Squid Baby (E)
36. Little Yellow Book (F)
37. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was pretty good. As someone who had to read The Outsiders (the book this episode was probably based on) in middle school, I really like how they handled it here, and the 60s greaser talk was really spot on. I also like the visuals in this episode, and the twist that these characters are actually a dance group. The characters in question are also very fun and memorable, and only added to the theme and comedy of the episode.

Good episode (8/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
6. Pull up a Barrel (8)
7. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
8. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
9. Tutor Sauce (7)
10. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
11. Larry's Gym (7)
12. Jailbreak (7)
13. License to Milkshake (6)
14. Patrick! the Game (6)
15. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
16. Extreme Spots (6)
17. The Executive Treatment (6)
18. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
19. Squid Defense (6)
20. Gary's New Toy (6)
21. Bumper to Bumper (6)
22. Squirrel Record (5)
23. Séance Schméance (5)
24. Two Thumbs Down (5)
25. Patrick-Man! (5)
26. Married to Money (5)
27. Evil Spatula (5)
28. Company Picnic (5)
29. Kenny the Cat (5)
30. Sanctuary! (5)
31. Spongebob Longpants (4)
32. The Fish Bowl (4)
33. Yeti Krabs (4)
34. Don't Look Now (4)
35. Squid Baby (3)
36. Little Yellow Book (2)
37. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Squid Plus One (8)
4. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
5. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
6. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
7. Tutor Sauce (7)
8. Larry's Gym (7)
9. Patrick! the Game (6)
10. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
11. The Executive Treatment (6)
12. Two Thumbs Down (5)
13. Married to Money (5)
14. Company Picnic (5)
15. Sanctuary! (5)
16. Spongebob Longpants (4)
17. The Fish Bowl (4)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
We’re finally at "Sharks vs. Pods"! Yes, yes, and more yes. I have always adored this episode. Like…it was my favorite modern SpongeBob episode for many, many years. I’m not sure if that still holds up now, considering that 1) this isn’t even “modern SpongeBob” anymore, and 2) there’s lots of episodes I still need to look at to decide. But the fact is this is an episode that has never gotten a bad word from me. And after rewatching it, I can affirm that it shall stay this way.

So the first thing I love about this episode is the atmosphere. The music and the designs of these characters really help to set the scene, and y’all know how much I love atmosphere. Oh, and how could I forget the dialogue? The voice acting here is great, and I love the wordplay, it really helps to flesh these characters out, even if we only see them for just a few minutes. Also, I just love how a group of Squids is called the “Pods”…like that’s actually genius. And their snapping being their pods getting unstuck? Brilliant. All the new characters we meet in this episode are also super great. The Sharks are just a funny group. I especially loved every time they brought up Johnny and just completely lost it. Too good. And at the end of the episode, I love the inclusion of all these different dance troupes.

I love how the truth about the Sharks can be deduced from the beginning of the episode, as what entrances them about SpongeBob is his dancing, not anything else. If only SpongeBob didn’t let paranoia cloud his mind lol…though I mean it’s certainly some warranted assumptions that he made, especially after that ransom note LMAO. But speaking of paranoia, I love seeing SpongeBob when he’s all dramatic like this, as we’ve well established. And it’s fun seeing SpongeBob try to act like a 50’s “gangster”, way too funny.

We then learn that the Sharks and Pods rivalry has nothing to do with fighting, but rather dancing! And Squidward’s part of the Pods too, which I thought was a nice touch. The explanation for everything that SpongeBob misinterpreted is great, because I love how sensical yet improbable the explanations are. Except for Gary being a DJ. That I believe. The very end of the episode is great, as we get plot twist after plot twist. I mean…the cops being in on this dance thing? I love it. Also, the cops randomly having accents is funny to me haha. And then Internal Affairs showing up? Love that too. And speaking of the end of the episode, I just love this scene. Seeing all the different dance styles is super fun, and of course I adore seeing SpongeBob win in the end with his full-of-heart dance moves. It’s like “I Heart Dancing”, now that I think about it.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Damn this animation is good and popping off! also I love the shark's voices they are a better version of the bubble gang from whatever happened to spongebob
  1. Plankton's Pet (10/10)
  2. Patrick! The Game (10/10)
  3. Sharks Vs Pods (10/10)
  4. What's Eating Patrick? (10/10)
  5. Pull Up A Barrel (10/10)
  6. Mall Girl Pear (9.5/10)
  7. Lost In Bikini Bottom (9.5/10)
  8. Patrick-Man! (9.5/10)
  9. Two Thumbs Down (9.5/10)
  10. The Sewers Of Bikini Botoom (9.5/10)
  11. Safe Deposit Krabs (9.5/10)
  12. Evil Spatula (9/10)
  13. Tutor Sauce (9/10)
  14. Don't Look Now (9/10)
  15. Married To Money (9/10)
  16. SpongeBob Long Pants (9/10)
  17. Sanctuary! (8.5/10)
  18. Seance Schmance (8.5/10)
  19. Squid Plus One (8.5/10)
  20. The Fish Bowl (8.5/10)
  21. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8.5/10)
  22. Bumper To Bumper (8.5/10)
  23. Eek, An Urchin! (7/10)
  24. License To Milkshake (6.5/10)
  25. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)
  26. Jailbreak! (6.5/10)
  27. Gary's New Toy (6.5/10)
  28. Squirrel Record (6/10)
  29. Yeti Krabs (3.5/10)
  30. Squid Defense (3/10)
  31. Company Picnic (2/10)
  32. Kenny The Cat (1/10)
  33. Little Yellow Book (0.5/10)
  34. Squid Baby (0/10)
  35. SpongeBob You're Fired! (-99999999/10)

Back