197a. Mall Girl Pearl

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
WhoBob said:
WAT? Excuse me? You are not the only one who loved it. I loved it too, many people did.
Yeah, but so far I am the only person that put 10 out of 10. Also you didn't put an 'H' in 'what.'

babydoll

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Great plot, great idea, and a good story overall, but the execution's a little botched. Pearl clearly can't carry an episode all by herself. She's a little bit too obnoxious all by herself, but I absolutely love the idea of having a lesser character being given a shot at carrying an entire episode. It shows that the writers are trying to do new and different things. As for Betty White, well, she's adorable. I love her acting, I love how sweet she is, and I love her entire role in the episode. I also love all the callbacks they did in this episode, so many characters from the past getting passing cameos. Squidward and SpongeBob in the background were hilarious. The only thing I really hated about this episode is "Grandma Power". That is seriously one of the stupidest climaxes I've ever seen. Overall, a nice effort, but a little shoddy. 6/10

ia, that ~grandma power~ bit was super-cringey.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Sherm:

Character design roughs 4 recent SpongeBob episode: Mall Girl Pearl collaborators @JohnTrabbic & @VincentWaller72
obwdWOY.jpg

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
RE-review. my last one was to long.

HERE YOU GO!

GOOD PARTS
-SaxaBoogie (production music from season 3) Is back!
-cool to see minor characters shop.
-a lot of memories when some parts are shown
BAD PARTS
-There is no bad parts

9.5/10

GREAT!

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
SO MANY REFERENCES, TWAS GLORIOUS

Slightly on the duller side but certainly not a bad one.

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
I keep coming back to this topic......... A fun episode review (updated) 9.9/10 (10/10 out of .5 ratings and numbers)

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Am I the only one who doesn't completely adore this episode? I mean, it's nice for Pearl to get her own episode for a change, but really, cut out the Blink-and-You'll-Miss-It cameos, and the episode really doesn't have enough substance to be "good" in my head. I may need to rewatch it, but I mean, if you haven't seen the earlier episodes, the "Squidward Smells" gag and cameos won't really work, and over all, the humor is a bit dull to me. It's not terrible, though. There definitely is enough humor here to at least make it a high "Meh," such as the "Grandma Powers" sequence, amongst other gags, but in a similar sense to "The Executive Treatment," it takes too long to get started, but unlike that episode, it doesn't really take off from there. Idk. I'm probably one of the few people who thinks "Two Thumbs Down" is far better than this one.

RANKING: 6.5/10

Donuts

Floating Shopping List
The mall is a great setting for an episode. It allows characters to congregate and intertwine, and the store possibilities are endless. It should be used more often imo

SquiddlyPie

random gal
It finally aired last Friday here in Greece and it was truly fantastic...I really liked the cameos of SB chasing Squiddy in the backround and also I really liked that finally after a long period Pearl got a main role in an episode....I really like Pearl :D ...I also like the moral of the episode, never disgrace something because it's old or anything...I also liked Beatrice's role, such a cute grandma...I also liked how her friends were not all the same girly girls (apart from one of them..) the other 2 were an average teen girl...I loved it ...10/10

mitchellthespongebobfan

Imitation Krab
Wow, an episode staring Pearl that doesn't make you either hate her or wanna kill Spongebob. One thing I think everyone can agree on is that Spongebob has a really strong cast of secondary/background characters like Larry, Mrs. Puff, Mermaid Man, Barnacle Boy, the Flying Dutchman, Karen, and Squilliam all being good examples. I love how they've been giving some of these secondary characters their own episodes in season 9 like with Larry and Larry's Gym. Now to the actual episode: I loved it, probably one of my favorite of season 9. The cameos were amazing and made the episode feel nostalgic with the appearances of Carl from Selling Out, Bubble Buddy, Granny from Have You Seen This Snail?, and Dougie Williams from Squirrel Jokes among others. The actual episode was good too; I loved getting to see inside the Bikini Bottom Mall as well as Pearl's struggle to fit in. I thought that Beatrice was an interesting character who propelled the story enough. If I had one complaint it would be the little to no humor involved in this episode, but the story was strong enough for it not to be a problem. Another great season 9 episode!

This is one of my favorite season 9 episodes. The plot is very nice, and the (admittedly) few jokes the episode has are pretty good. I also like the message at the end. What sells the episode for me, however, is the many callbacks and references to previous episodes. I love these little additions. 9/10

I would have just considered this one okay, but those references in the background brought this episode up. They were great. The episode itself isn't bad, but I would have liked to see more.

Ranking so far:
1. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
2. Larry's Gym (A+)
3. License to Milkshake (A)
4. Tutor Sauce (A)
5. Evil Spatula (A)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
7. Patrick! The Game (A)
8. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
9. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
10. Bumper to Bumper (B)
11. Plankton's Pet (B)
12. Jailbreak! (B)
13. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
14. Patrick-Man! (B)
15. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (B)
16. Yeti Krabs (B)
17. Extreme Spots (B)
18. Mall Girl Pearl (B)
19. Squid Plus One (B)
20. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
21. Gary's New Toy (B)
22. Company Picnic (B)
23. Don't Look Now (C)
24. Squirrel Record (C)
25. The Executive Treatment (C)
26. The Fish Bowl (C)
27. Seance Shmeance (C)
28. SpongeBob LongPants (C)
29. Sanctuary! (D)
30. Squid Defense (D)
31. Kenny the Cat (D)
32. Married to Money (E)
33. Squid Baby (E)
34. Little Yellow Book (F)
35. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Like Larry's Gym, this episode focuses entirely on a side character, this time Pearl, and I think it works even better than in that episode. I also kinda like her friends as well, as they were pretty entertaining. The setting is very different and unique from anything we've seen before, and the overall tone and atmosphere is very good. There's also alot of little easter eggs in the background, which bring the re-watch value up for me by alot. I like the message of being yourself and doing what you enjoy despite what other people think of it.

Good episode (7/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Pull up a Barrel (8)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
7. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
8. Tutor Sauce (7)
9. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
10. Larry's Gym (7)
11. Jailbreak (7)
12. License to Milkshake (6)
13. Patrick! the Game (6)
14. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
15. Extreme Spots (6)
16. The Executive Treatment (6)
17. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
18. Squid Defense (6)
19. Gary's New Toy (6)
20. Bumper to Bumper (6)
21. Squirrel Record (5)
22. Séance Schméance (5)
23. Patrick-Man! (5)
24. Married to Money (5)
25. Evil Spatula (5)
26. Company Picnic (5)
27. Kenny the Cat (5)
28. Sanctuary! (5)
29. Spongebob Longpants (4)
30. The Fish Bowl (4)
31. Yeti Krabs (4)
32. Don't Look Now (4)
33. Squid Baby (3)
34. Little Yellow Book (2)
35. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Squid Plus One (8)
4. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
5. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
6. Tutor Sauce (7)
7. Larry's Gym (7)
8. Patrick! the Game (6)
9. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
10. The Executive Treatment (6)
11. Married to Money (5)
12. Company Picnic (5)
13. Sanctuary! (5)
14. Spongebob Longpants (4)
15. The Fish Bowl (4)

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like the return of boys who cry but the whole episode to me is just boring and Pearls friends were jerks :patmad:

HOWEVER! I do like the fight scene:ssjunfair:

1/10 Unacceptable

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff
8/10. It's one of the best in Season 9, and the best Pearl episode overall. It's a nice change from the traditional characters, plus I like all the details they put into the episode (the side characters, the shop names. etc.)

Back