197a. Mall Girl Pearl

cameroncochran

Floating Shopping List
Like Larry's Gym, this episode focuses entirely on a side character, this time Pearl, and I think it works even better than in that episode. I also kinda like her friends as well, as they were pretty entertaining. The setting is very different and unique from anything we've seen before, and the overall tone and atmosphere is very good. There's also alot of little easter eggs in the background, which bring the re-watch value up for me by alot. I like the message of being yourself and doing what you enjoy despite what other people think of it.

Good episode (7/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Pull up a Barrel (8)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
7. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
8. Tutor Sauce (7)
9. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
10. Larry's Gym (7)
11. Jailbreak (7)
12. License to Milkshake (6)
13. Patrick! the Game (6)
14. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
15. Extreme Spots (6)
16. The Executive Treatment (6)
17. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
18. Squid Defense (6)
19. Gary's New Toy (6)
20. Bumper to Bumper (6)
21. Squirrel Record (5)
22. Séance Schméance (5)
23. Patrick-Man! (5)
24. Married to Money (5)
25. Evil Spatula (5)
26. Company Picnic (5)
27. Kenny the Cat (5)
28. Sanctuary! (5)
29. Spongebob Longpants (4)
30. The Fish Bowl (4)
31. Yeti Krabs (4)
32. Don't Look Now (4)
33. Squid Baby (3)
34. Little Yellow Book (2)
35. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Squid Plus One (8)
4. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
5. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
6. Tutor Sauce (7)
7. Larry's Gym (7)
8. Patrick! the Game (6)
9. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
10. The Executive Treatment (6)
11. Married to Money (5)
12. Company Picnic (5)
13. Sanctuary! (5)
14. Spongebob Longpants (4)
15. The Fish Bowl (4)
wow

cameroncochran

Floating Shopping List
Sherm:

obwdWOY.jpg
cool drawings

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
What’s this? Another episode focusing on someone outside the core four? And on Pearl no less?? Well, well, well, color me intrigued, and count me in! Yeah, “Mall Girl Pearl” is another one of those episodes that I’ve liked for quite a while now. For one thing, there’s all the reasons I just said, but this episode is also very enjoyable, and has a ton of fun background details that help keep things engaging. It’s not a typical direction for a SpongeBob SquarePants episode, but I like it.

So yes, this is a Pearl episode, and I must talk about that. I really like Pearl in this one, it’s nice to see her character be fleshed out beyond the typical teen archetype, though she still fits quite a number of cliches in this one. But I’m fine with that, her whole character is about being a teen cliche anyway. I’m also shocked, but also not, that she’s the only one out of her friends not to have a job…like Mr. Krabs didn’t make her get one? But he also does spoil her half the time, so again, not shocked.

This episode really is a novelty for how much SpongeBob isn’t in it…but that doesn’t mean he’s completely absent. Remember when I said there were background details that made the episode more engaging? Yeah, he’s at least part of those background details. His small little plot with Squidward continues to be hilarious throughout the episode, especially because we don’t even see them speak at all during the episode (except for SpongeBob at the very end). Speaking of background details, I adore the design of this mall. It looks like a really fun place, and there’s tons of easter eggs too. More environmental development for Bikini Bottom, what a win for me!

Another win for me—this episode is funny! I loved the bit with Mr. Krabs literally swallowing his wallet, that was pretty funny. As was his reaction to Pearl getting a job, which I suppose answers my question from earlier. Pearl causing havoc at the mall stores, just like SpongeBob in “SpongeBob You’re Fired” was also amusing. The joke with Pearl fretting hanging out with her dad was also perfect lol. Though, I don’t mind hanging out with my dad, so I can’t relate. Or the bit with Myrtle, that was great.

And of course, I can’t go without mentioning that this episode has an actual lesson it’s teaching, with aligns with how Pearl embodies teen cliches. The lesson here is basic, be true to yourself, don’t judge, yadda yadda yadda, but I think it’s done pretty well. I think Pearl’s friendship with Beatrice (played perfectly by Betty White) is wholesome, and it’s cute to see her have interests that are “uncool”. Though, I think some of these things are seen as cool now, like crocheting. But anyway, Pearl’s friends do ever so slightly grind on my gears, but I know that’s supposed to be the point, so I don’t get too annoyed. And they end up getting what’s coming to them anyway, so there’s really nothing bad for me to say. It’s just the same old trope of “MC needs to get better friends” that’s present in 90% of teen media lol.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Why are the pearl's friend's the worst?
  1. Plankton's Pet (10/10)
  2. Patrick! The Game (10/10)
  3. What's Eating Patrick? (10/10)
  4. Pull Up A Barrel (10/10)
  5. Mall Girl Pear (9.5/10)
  6. Lost In Bikini Bottom (9.5/10)
  7. Patrick-Man! (9.5/10)
  8. The Sewers Of Bikini Botoom (9.5/10)
  9. Safe Deposit Krabs (9.5/10)
  10. Evil Spatula (9/10)
  11. Tutor Sauce (9/10)
  12. Don't Look Now (9/10)
  13. Married To Money (9/10)
  14. SpongeBob Long Pants (9/10)
  15. Sanctuary! (8.5/10)
  16. Seance Schmance (8.5/10)
  17. Squid Plus One (8.5/10)
  18. The Fish Bowl (8.5/10)
  19. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8.5/10)
  20. Bumper To Bumper (8.5/10)
  21. Eek, An Urchin! (7/10)
  22. License To Milkshake (6.5/10)
  23. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)
  24. Jailbreak! (6.5/10)
  25. Gary's New Toy (6.5/10)
  26. Squirrel Record (6/10)
  27. Yeti Krabs (3.5/10)
  28. Squid Defense (3/10)
  29. Company Picnic (2/10)
  30. Kenny The Cat (1/10)
  31. Little Yellow Book (0.5/10)
  32. Squid Baby (0/10)
  33. SpongeBob You're Fired! (-99999999/10)

Back