196b. Married to Money

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I like Mr. Krabs in this one. He doesn't seem completely money hungry here and it feels like he genuinely likes Cashina from the bottom of his heart. I also like Cashina and Pearl's interactions. The main problem I have with this episode though is that we know it's Plankton the whole time. I think it would've been better if at first we didn't know Plankton was controlling Cashina and there were subtle hints throughout the episode that Plankton was actually behind this whole thing, which would've added at least a little more intrigue to this. The ending also leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. It just makes me feel kinda uncomfortable and sad.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Pull up a Barrel (8)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
7. Tutor Sauce (7)
8. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
9. Larry's Gym (7)
10. Jailbreak (7)
11. License to Milkshake (6)
12. Patrick! the Game (6)
13. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
14. Extreme Spots (6)
15. The Executive Treatment (6)
16. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
17. Squid Defense (6)
18. Gary's New Toy (6)
19. Bumper to Bumper (6)
20. Squirrel Record (5)
21. Séance Schméance (5)
22. Patrick-Man! (5)
23. Married to Money (5)
24. Evil Spatula (5)
25. Company Picnic (5)
26. Kenny the Cat (5)
27. Sanctuary! (5)
28. Spongebob Longpants (4)
29. The Fish Bowl (4)
30. Yeti Krabs (4)
31. Don't Look Now (4)
32. Squid Baby (3)
33. Little Yellow Book (2)
34. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Squid Plus One (8)
4. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
5. Tutor Sauce (7)
6. Larry's Gym (7)
7. Patrick! the Game (6)
8. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
9. The Executive Treatment (6)
10. Married to Money (5)
11. Company Picnic (5)
12. Sanctuary! (5)
13. Spongebob Longpants (4)
14. The Fish Bowl (4)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Married To Money” is another episode that I remember very well, as I remember watching it when it premiered. And I must say, the first thing that stood out to me for this episode, and still does, is that title card track. So…interesting. The second thing that stands out is the plot, but I’ll get to that in just a second.

Okay! So. That plot. Honestly, I love it. It’s so bizarre yet so in character. I mean…after “Money Talks”, “SpongeBob Vs. The Big One”, and “Safe Deposit Krabs”, it makes absolute sense that Mr. Krabs would fall in love with a sentient wad of cash. Honestly, the only thing I don’t like about this plot is that it’s not about Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff haha. But I like this exploration of Mr. Krabs as a character, that he’s legitimately a lonely old man and perhaps his love of money fills that hole in his heart, just a little bit. But this is still a comedic show so of course they don’t delve quite so deep.

Time to get chronological. The beginning of this episode is entertaining, dropping us right into a Plankton plot, this time involving sea bears! Ah, “The Camping Episode”, the most forgettable of the popularly-perceived “GOATs”. Oh wait, I shouldn’t say that out loud…uh, ignore that. Anyway, this is a good way to get me caring about the plot immediately, as it’s engaging from literally the first second. I love how Plankton’s schoolyard joke about “why don’t you marry it” ends up being the basis for the story of the episode haha.

“Married To Money” wastes no time in bringing Cashina to the fold, as Mr. Krabs comes across her when taking out the trash. His expression when he sees her is one that has been burned into my mind ever since I saw it for the first time…that’s good drawing right there! (I don’t know what to call it lol, I always say good writing for, you know, good writing, but how do you compliment a good expression?). You know, I wonder if this episode gave fuel to Plabs people…eh, let me not go down that road because I don’t want anyone from either side of that aisle coming up in here. I’ll just say that I think this episode is definitely better off having been done in more recent years rather than in the first few seasons, because you bet your butt the jokes would’ve been clear homophobia, sorry not sorry.

Anyway, I’m glad that Pearl makes an appearance in this episode, one that is more than just a cameo. Because if she didn’t, I might’ve had something to say about that. This is about Mr. Krabs and his love life…Pearl is a very important consideration there, just saying. And I like when we get Pearl inclusion, so that’s a win. And I love how Cashina (Plankton) struggles to bond with her, but it works eventually. It’s cute. I’m surprised Plankton managed to pull that off.

Just like the last couple of episodes, this one has the one issue of not being super funny. But I forgive this episode more because the plot is a lot more engaging than some of the previous episodes have been, so it works a lot better. Though there are times where even the plot starts dulling a little bit, and I start getting…not quite bored, but I start passively rather than actively enjoying the episode.

I honestly don’t know if this episode would’ve been better had we also not known if it was Plankton. I love a good plot twist, so I wouldn’t have minded. But the tension of Plankton trying to trick Mr. Krabs is what carries a lot of this plot, so the episode would’ve had to have some serious revisions in order for this to work. I still think it would’ve been worth though. Oh well, I still like “Married to Money” for what it is, though.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
The title card is interesting and its the best out of the imitation Krabs rip-off episodes aside from imitation Krabs of course
  1. Plankton's Pet (10/10)
  2. Patrick! The Game (10/10)
  3. What's Eating Patrick? (10/10)
  4. Pull Up A Barrel (10/10)
  5. Lost In Bikini Bottom (9.5/10)
  6. Patrick-Man! (9.5/10)
  7. The Sewers Of Bikini Botoom (9.5/10)
  8. Safe Deposit Krabs (9.5/10)
  9. Evil Spatula (9/10)
  10. Tutor Sauce (9/10)
  11. Don't Look Now (9/10)
  12. Married To Money (9/10)
  13. SpongeBob Long Pants (9/10)
  14. Sanctuary! (8.5/10)
  15. Seance Schmance (8.5/10)
  16. Squid Plus One (8.5/10)
  17. The Fish Bowl (8.5/10)
  18. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8.5/10)
  19. Bumper To Bumper (8.5/10)
  20. Eek, An Urchin! (7/10)
  21. License To Milkshake (6.5/10)
  22. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)
  23. Jailbreak! (6.5/10)
  24. Gary's New Toy (6.5/10)
  25. Squirrel Record (6/10)
  26. Yeti Krabs (3.5/10)
  27. Squid Defense (3/10)
  28. Company Picnic (2/10)
  29. Kenny The Cat (1/10)
  30. Little Yellow Book (0.5/10)
  31. Squid Baby (0/10)
  32. SpongeBob You're Fired! (-99999999/10)

Back