196a. The Fish Bowl

Patrick was the main issue. Him being a jerk didn't make me laugh nor interest me. How they resolved this was just facepalm. Squidward was so ooc with his sudden ice cream obsession. Other gag were just so unfunny. I liked Sandy in this episode tho.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
I find this episode to be very bland and forgettable. I actually didn't mind Squidward's OOC behavior, but what annoys me is that I don't get that ending at all
!

Invincibubble

Krabby Patty Perfectionist
I personally don't hate it at all, it probably ranks #4 on my favorites of Season 9. It is also one of my favorites of the whole series. :)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Just read the dang topic. There are plenty of reviews there discussing why the episode was disappointing to people.

Cha

I love SBM
merged with The Fishbowl actual thread

This is one of the only season 9B episodes that I don't like. The plot had so much potential, but they didn't take it to any new or exciting places. It felt underwhelming. Patrick was also a big jerk here, and the resolution for that doesn't work in my opinion. Also, the running gag of Squidward wanting ice cream doesn't make too much sense, since he really doesn't seem to be the type of person to obsess over it. Plus, the gag itself wasn't that funny. 4/10

KarateSponge

Parawhore
Horrible episode. Patrick was a jerk, and not a funny one or good one. Every single running gag was horrible, and this episode is the worst one since Hillenburg returned, in my opinion. 3.4/10

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
Not really. He's also been unlikeable in episodes before that, so almost every main character had at least one unlikeable appearance. SpongeBob, Patrick, Mr. Krabs, Squidward and Sandy are examples. I don't care about Pearl, Larry, Karen and Mrs. Puff much, but they also had some unlikeable moments, especially Mrs. Puff in Demolition Doofus.

Anyways, it is not as bad as many people think, but I don't like that much either. They could have made Patrick less jerkish here, but it wasn't as bad as in episodes like Yours, Mine and Mine. He was a jerk in this one too, but he somehow apologized. I kinda agree with Squidward being different here. I was surprised to see him being obsessed with ice cream, because he never seemed to be that type of guy to like ice cream in my opinion. This brings me vibes of Squidward's School for Grown-Ups, where Squidward actually liked food similar to coral or something like that? I don't know how to explain it. I also don't like how SpongeBob and Patrick were standing still during the cameras at the first time before the real experiment started. Remember Tentacle-Vision? They were in camera and didn't stand still. Instead, they were playing around and having fun. Even Patrick used a recorder in MM & BB 6: The Motion Picture. I think this episode could've been better if it weren't for these issues, but it's far from atrocious/abysmal. It's tolerable to watch, but not something I really enjoyed. Speaking of bad episodes, I think this is the most tolerable bad or meh episode. I would call it either a bad or even a meh episode. Patrick's jerkiness was kinda over the top, but I wasn't very angry with it. I liked the idea here, but did Sandy already realize how sea creatures behave throughout the series? She already knew how many people in Bikini Bottom behave, but at the same time, she's never really spoken about psychology that much. The best part was definitely Sandy with Gary. Yes, Gary being probably the only character without any unlikeable moments.

EDIT: I think I was kinda harsh on this episode. This episode is just rather mediocre now. I kinda changed my opinion and don't think it is as bad as I thought. There were some really interesting parts and Patrick didn't bother me as much as some of you guys, but it is still very obnoxious. I don't think his appearance in this episode is even that close to his appearances in Seasons 7 & 8 (he was okay in Season 6, even with veru bad appearances like in The Card, but also good ones like in Porous Pockets). It's far from those appearances. Squidward loving ice cream was still very weird and I don't get it. It is lazily done, but the concept of the episode in general was actually interesting, when Sandy tried to figure out the behavior of SpongeBob and Patrick, even if she already knew that, but at the same time it is very strange and not interestingly enough for the episode to be that good. The episode was kinda dull as well, but at least it has some redeeming qualities to make it up and I believe it was just meh/average overall. It's a little bit overhated, I guess? Yes, I guess it is.

Supmandude

Squog
Why does everyone think they hate this episode? It's not my favorite of Season 9b, but it's still perfect. 10/10

hippythehippo

Banished
I am probably the only one who has zero issues with Patrick's characterization. It's been a while since I've last watched it, but I don't remember him being too bad. He had a motivation for being a jerk, which is more than I can say for a bunch of episodes. If the worst thing he did was ruin Spongebob's ice cream, than I can't really say he is back to 6-8 levels of jerkiness. I really can't ask for much else than what they gave.

That said, there are a ton of other problems that plague this episode. This was the beginning of Squid's zaniness without much prompt, and I can't say I disliked it here, it was still pretty unfunny. Maybe the ending joke is good, because of how stupid the plot twist is. Sandy is....not good, especially at the bus scene. I feel there was a more subtle way of doing what they were trying to do, but here, she was way too obnoxious for me to enjoy. She takes a backseat in the second half, but it makes her look pretty stupid for not realizing Patrick would go mad for power. I'm glad that Spongebob actually stood up too Patrick, but the lead up is SO boring. Counting sand, really? Can't think of much else interesting? An episode with this much potential shouldn't delve into the obviously somehow interesting activity of counting sand. I also feel that this has a problem that Mutiny on the Krusty had, in which not much happens. Characters disappear and reappear at a snap of a finger, and most of the episode is just the characters bickering.

As far for how bad this is, it's probably on the upper side, close to meh. If the worst this episode can do is bore me, than I can't really be too harsh. I don't even think it is the worst of 9b. Maybe this is a stand out because Pat is a jerk? I really don't see how this is apparently that bad. It's just wasted potential at worst.

Pretty bland episode. Patrick doesn't do much with his new power, and if it is something, it's very useless and only happens to annoy SpongeBob. Pretty mediocre.

Ranking so far:
1. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
2. Larry's Gym (A+)
3. License to Milkshake (A)
4. Tutor Sauce (A)
5. Evil Spatula (A)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
7. Patrick! The Game (A)
8. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
9. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
10. Bumper to Bumper (B)
11. Plankton's Pet (B)
12. Jailbreak! (B)
13. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
14. Patrick-Man! (B)
15. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (B)
16. Yeti Krabs (B)
17. Extreme Spots (B)
18. Squid Plus One (B)
19. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
20. Gary's New Toy (B)
21. Company Picnic (B)
22. Don't Look Now (C)
23. Squirrel Record (C)
24. The Executive Treatment (C)
25. The Fish Bowl (C)
26. Seance Shmeance (C)
27. SpongeBob LongPants (C)
28. Sanctuary! (D)
29. Squid Defense (D)
30. Kenny the Cat (D)
31. Squid Baby (E)
32. Little Yellow Book (F)
33. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
Ew why are my posts here so cringey

spongebob-cringe-elite-daily.png

Btw I don't like this episode now lol

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was so weird and pretty boring. Nothing remotely interesting really happens until 10 minutes in when Spongebob finally gets fed up with Patrick's antics (which should've happened WAY earlier because it would've gave more time for the theme of behavioral psychology and how relationships can be affected by other people's actions), and even then the ending isn't that interesting. Patrick's behavior doesn't bother me much here because the power got to his head (much like Rule of Dumb), but you can definitely feel that season 7/8 aura surrounding Patrick, which isn't very pleasant. So yeah, this episode is pretty boring and bland, and the characterizations here are just off.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Pull up a Barrel (8)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
7. Tutor Sauce (7)
8. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
9. Larry's Gym (7)
10. Jailbreak (7)
11. License to Milkshake (6)