195b. Larry's Gym

Kukimao

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Supmandude said:
Storyboards by Adam Paloian:

And a deleted scene! Larry was supposed to originally say that the only thing worse than donuts is ground glass and then smash a glass cup in the fish's mouth. Unfortunately, Nickelodeon refused to let them do this gag and it was censored.

tumblr_o2nw69Xg701u1wgwdo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2nw69Xg701u1wgwdo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2nw69Xg701u1wgwdo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2nw69Xg701u1wgwdo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_o2nw69Xg701u1wgwdo5_1280.jpg
What I find odd about this scene is that in the episode the fish still walks off in a daze even though Larry never touches him.
tumblr_o2o1tocsll1s2kw58o2_r1_540.png

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 9

Episode: Larry's Gym

This episode was very good. The plot was nice. There were some funny jokes. 8.5/10

Invincibubble

Krabby Patty Perfectionist
I thought this episode was great, but I personaly thought 'SpongeBob LongPants' was better. I thought it was cool to have SpongeBob's body resemble the Invincibubble, and I liked the my leg joke and when the guy tried to bring in donuts and Larry said "Dough-NOT bring those in here!". Overall great episode: 7.2

babydoll

Bomb-Selling Pirate
okay i FINALLY just watched this episode and it was.....surprisingly good. better than SBLP. i don't really know how to describe it but i enjoyed it and it feels very different but familiar at the same time. i'm liking the direction that the show is starting to take.

also, is it just me or did the pacing of this episode make it feel as though it was longer than eleven minutes?!

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode has actually grown on me a lot. I found my self laughing more and there were a lot of cool touches and drawings, it also has a very interesting story that uses Larry very well, going to bump my score to an 8/10.

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
The Idea of Larry opening a gym is new. It is not a surprise he would do it, do to the fact that he goes to the gym in Krabby Kronicle,Ghost Host,& Is super actively working out In A life in a day. The subplot of Mr. Krabs taking up the gym is kinda new, But not really since he even loved money in help wanted,Culture shock,Kills Spongebob off for it in Born again Krabs. Even the ending has been seen before in Imitation Krabs, Wishing you well, & now Larry's gym. But this is funny seeing Mr. Krabs Staying there forever. And I like when Larry chucks the scissors into the guy on the street. Plus the "my leg!" gag is back, but it hasn't been seen since Krusty Krushers. Also I love the my leg gag and so dose my friend. I like it more then longpants but they are very close to each other:

Good Episode 93/100
long pants: Good Episode 92/100

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Episode was great, but it's weird how in the end it still didn't really work for SpongeBob if it did for Larry, and if he had money to open a gym, then why not hire an accountant or something? Also the krabs subplot was funny with some callbacks like the towel to Clams and the ending to Wishing You Well's.
9/10

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
The ending kinda bugs me, because this has happened three times before, but the rest was great! The My Leg gag was changed to My Legs, though, which isn't as funny as My Leg. I know it's changed because it was in Lame & Fortune, which was the 5th time this ending happened! My Leg is back now! No really, watch Pineapple Invasion. It's the first episode since Shuffle-boarding to have My Leg, & just My Leg.

9.3/10

Vladimir King

Blue Neighbor
season 4-9 aint all so bad said:
The ending kinda bugs me, because this has happened three times before, but the rest was great! The My Leg gag was changed to My Legs, though, which isn't as funny as My Leg. I know it's changed because it was in Lame & Fortune, which was the 5th time this ending happened! My Leg is back now! No really, watch Pineapple Invasion. It's the first episode since Shuffle-boarding to have My Leg, & just My Leg.

9.3/10
Another Scumbob Mr Krabs Turns Into A Live Action Krab Again

This is one of the funniest episodes of this season. The plot does have a few holes in it (if Larry has enough money to open a gym, shouldn't he also have the money to hire an accountant?), but it barely matters to me because of the many jokes in this episode. The ending is one of those jokes, as well as the "brug" joke. My favorite joke, however, is the guy being hurt outside the Krusty Krab ("slightly less okay!"). All in all, it's a fantastic episode. 9/10

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was interesting for sure. I like how the episode mainly focuses on a side character, Larry, which we don't get to see often. Even though Spongebob is a big part of this episode, Larry still gets most of the spotlight, which is refreshing. Although this episode isn't that funny there's still enough jokes to keep me laughing every now and then. They also handled the story very well. So yeah, while this episode isn't the funniest thing ever, it's an interesting story with a good moral, which I can respect.

Good episode (7/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Pull up a Barrel (8)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
7. Tutor Sauce (7)
8. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
9. Larry's Gym (7)
10. Jailbreak (7)
11. License to Milkshake (6)
12. Patrick! the Game (6)
13. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
14. Extreme Spots (6)
15. The Executive Treatment (6)
16. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
17. Squid Defense (6)
18. Gary's New Toy (6)
19. Bumper to Bumper (6)
20. Squirrel Record (5)
21. Séance Schméance (5)
22. Patrick-Man! (5)
23. Evil Spatula (5)
24. Company Picnic (5)
25. Kenny the Cat (5)
26. Sanctuary! (5)
27. Spongebob Longpants (4)
28. Yeti Krabs (4)
29. Don't Look Now (4)
30. Squid Baby (3)
31. Little Yellow Book (2)
32. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Squid Plus One (8)
4. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
5. Tutor Sauce (7)
6. Larry's Gym (7)
7. Patrick! the Game (6)
8. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
9. The Executive Treatment (6)
10. Company Picnic (5)
11. Sanctuary! (5)
12. Spongebob Longpants (4)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Finally, we’re at the episode that makes it very clear that they’re basically elevating Larry to main character status—”Larry’s Gym”. Yeah, even if it isn’t official, that’s basically what’s happened to the guy. I mean…if Pearl and Karen are main characters, then I think Larry basically counts. But 10 is a good number, so I get why he isn’t officially promoted. Anyway, this episode also shows that an ensemble cast is the way to go, because we get all these cool storylines just by following a different character for once.

This episode really starts to make use of the potential of Larry as a character. I think that “Squid Plus One” really showed how funny this lobster could be, and this episode decides to give him a chance to hold 11 minutes on his own. And I think this was a good decision, because even though his character is seemingly limited, I think he can carry an episode quite nicely. Maybe not perfectly, but decently. Anyway, Larry trying to deal with the insanity that is some of our main characters, namely Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob, is pretty funny, and a good way to spend the episode. I just love how Larry really doesn’t actually like pretty much any of the main characters we ever see him interact with, other than Sandy. It’s just funny to me how he’s so clearly on the edge of acquaintanceship.

The plot of this episode is fine, nothing too special about it other than what I’ve already said about Larry. SpongeBob becoming this ultra mega ripped dude, while Larry wastes away doing paperwork, is an interesting role reversal, though I don’t think enough was done with this…they should’ve had Larry and SpongeBob interact more, in my opinion. But anyway, it’s interesting enough seeing SpongeBob struggle with doing literally everything now that he’s so buff.

Fun little fact about this episode (yep, going on a tangent), but I was taken straight out of it when SpongeBob was like “I’m not good at lifting things”, and this is because there’s this SpongeBob lofi mix video I used to listen to quite a bit freshman year (I still use it to study from time to time, though I’m much more likely to use the show’s actual soundtrack lol), and one of the tracks on there used that line as a sample. Here’s a link to the video, with a timestamp to the sample so you can hear it. Speaking of music, since we’re here, this episode uses another track that I really like, Pacific Blue. I wish it was used more.

“Larry’s Gym” is…funny, but not too funny. It doesn’t have that push that makes me laugh out loud, let’s say that. And that’s why I don’t consider this to be an Amazing-tier episode, it just doesn’t have the chops. But, it’s still Great-tier! This season 9B has really been knocking it out of the park, if this is the lowest-scored episode thus far.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.5/10

Back