195a. SpongeBob LongPants

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
I Enjoyed watching this episode. . . though found the ending to be rather sadistic to Spongebob; Not being allowed to watch his favorite Movie

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I didn't really like this one. The plot feels like a weird mix of Grandma's Kisses and To Squarepants or Not To, which aren't episodes I'm a big fan of anyway. The story feels pretty dull and unfocused, and the ending was weak. There was also barley any comedy. No doubt the worst of 9b so far.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Squid Plus One (8)
5. Pull up a Barrel (8)
6. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
7. Tutor Sauce (7)
8. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
9. Jailbreak (7)
10. License to Milkshake (6)
11. Patrick! the Game (6)
12. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
13. Extreme Spots (6)
14. The Executive Treatment (6)
15. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
16. Squid Defense (6)
17. Gary's New Toy (6)
18. Bumper to Bumper (6)
19. Squirrel Record (5)
20. Séance Schméance (5)
21. Patrick-Man! (5)
22. Evil Spatula (5)
23. Company Picnic (5)
24. Kenny the Cat (5)
25. Sanctuary! (5)
26. Spongebob Longpants (4)
27. Yeti Krabs (4)
28. Don't Look Now (4)
29. Squid Baby (3)
30. Little Yellow Book (2)
31. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Squid Plus One (8)
4. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
5. Tutor Sauce (7)
6. Patrick! the Game (6)
7. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
8. The Executive Treatment (6)
9. Company Picnic (5)
10. Sanctuary! (5)
11. Spongebob Longpants (4)

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I liked seeing SpongeBob in his "long pants" and I think he looks much more distinguished and elegant in them compared to his old short square pants

This is especially true once he entered the French restaurant and traded his Krusty Krab tie for a fancy bow-tie

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I had this review done yesterday and I totally forgot to post it! Oopsie.

You know, if I had a nickel for every time I thought an episode relating to SpongeBob’s pants was a special when it was actually the normal 11-minute slot, I’d have two nickels. It’s not a lot, but it’s weird that it’s happened twice. Yeah, both “To SquarePants or Not To SquarePants” and “SpongeBob LongPants” have fooled me. Probably because of the marketing for both of them.

I’ll just say right now that this episode does the “SpongeBob changes up his look” idea better than that other episode, because this episode does not take itself nearly as seriously, and the way everyone fails to recognize SpongeBob is actually funny rather than bordering on annoying like that episode. So it seems we’ve learned from our mistakes here. Another, related reason why this episode works better is because SpongeBob likes the altered perception he gets of himself, it’s not hurting him. At least not at first.

The plot of this episode is pretty entertaining, mostly because I love seeing some roles switches going around. Like when SpongeBob and Squidward have to switch places, that was entertaining. Or really just the different treatment SpongeBob gets throughout the episode is entertaining to me. Like how SpongeBob is made the restaurant greeter, that’s pretty fun to watch. I love how he lays on the charm, and how he starts getting a little bit of a big head. It reminds me of “As Seen on TV” or “Model Sponge”.

SmugBob is frequently (not always) a fun watch, and that’s true for this episode. SpongeBob leaves the Krusty Krab, claiming that he’s “outgrown” it. This scene is played with the perfect amount of drama. I love how Mr. Krabs doesn’t even stop him, he even supports him. This is me getting my quasi-father-son crumbs, so that’s a win. Anyway, seeing SpongeBob try and immerse himself in these fancy establishments is enjoyable, and I think it’s done much better than “Porous Pockets”, so that’s another win for me. The more these newer episodes can dunk on previous writing mistakes, the better. Now that I’m thinking about it, this episode is also an improvement on “Squidward’s School For Grown-Ups”…double win! I also like how like…the atmosphere of the rich people’s place has far more soul than the environments in “Porous Pockets”, but that’s another conversation. Anyway, I love how SpongeBob calls himself “SpongeRobert”, too funny.

Of course, things can’t always go SpongeBob’s way, as when he eventually ditches the fancy people for his real friends, he ends up not being able to see the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy movie because of his long pants. At least, not until Mr. Krabs steps in (I’m telling you, my crumbs!). This part of the episode also debuts one of my favorite new tracks, Uku Bye Layly, so that’s yet another win for me. So many wins today!

The big thing that this episode is missing, in my opinion, is humor. There’s funny moments, don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t call this a funny episode. The driving test part was really funny to me, so there’s that…the Mrs. Puff cameos were excellent too. I also liked the bit with the “foreign film”, because that’s honestly how it feels watching art films sometimes, can’t lie.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.8/10

Back