194b. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
Squidward has always been grumpy but also somewhat crazy on the inside. He often times has his inner-child get out of him (i.e. Idiot Box and The Snowball Effect). That gives away one explanation. SpongeBob has always been a childlike character. The reason they began throwing stuff down the toilet is because they unintentionally realized how fun it was.
yes I know that but they take it too far in the newer episodes

KaliniHoudini

Part Computer or Something
I'm sorry, but just because Kaz wrote it doesn't mean I'll cut the episode slack. I barely got a reaction out of it until I watched it for the second time, and it kinda grew on me, but nothing has really made the episode pop out, and even if it did pop at various moments, they were really minor. I don't know, maybe the episode will grow on me if I watch it again, but for now, I can recommend it to only people who are just simply curious.

7/10.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
Not saying much here except that I liked it and I found it pretty entertaining. Not as good as Patrick! The Game imo but still a solid episode
8/10
Edit: I changed my mind. I think this is just as good as its sister episode: I think I've been a little too generous with that episode

Supmandude

Squog
so squidward and spongebob just went bat ::dolphin noise:: crazy and just threw everything in the toilet?

that's so perfectly in character...

like I know it's annoying to complain about OOC but it's not very entertaining to watch when everything is just zaniness (which I know the show has always had, but not turned up to 11)
Squidward went a little crazy and then immediately realized how stupid it was to flush everything down the toilet. I thought it was much better writing for him than the completely one-dimensional personality he's had in most of post-movie (not to hate on post-movie, I still love it.)

The fact that Squidward acted differently than the one-dimensional version of himself was one of the many reasons this felt pre-movie to me.

I know it sounds like me being a die-hard Kaz fan but omf, I adored this episode for everything. For one, it was really fast-paced and it made the episode highly enjoyable. Even the subplot didn't feel slow or distraced, the subplot connected to the main plot very well. The plot was simple and that's how it should be. Yeah, I like complex plots too but since this is SpongeBob, you can do a lot of awesome stuff with just a simple plot and this episode was executed brilliantly. The episode was funny too, a lot gags really made me laugh, especially when Squidward and SpongeBob flushed down everything to toilet and more cartoonish gags. Speaking of Squidward and SpongeBob, this was their best episode in years. Yes, it was way better here than Squid Plus One. Their chemistry was so damn great and I should also mention that they made Squidward care for SpongeBob, that was something that I wanted it for years. He actually realized his actions were too far and he decides to find SpongeBob in the sewer. That is the Squidward I know and love. Mean and crazy but really cares about SpongeBob. Also the sword fish character (don't know his name) was awesome, seriously, these season 9 one-time characters are so damn awesome and memorable (I think one-time characters may even be season 9's highest point). It is rarely to find flaws in it imo. Yeah, it did have a few toilet humor but it wasn't focused that much and even it was there, it worked for the plot and it was actually kind of amusing. Everything about this episode was fantastic. Easily best season 9.2 episode and one of the best SpongeBob/Squidward related episodes in years. It deserves my highest grade, "A+".

Supmandude said:
Squidward went a little crazy and then immediately realized how stupid it was to flush everything down the toilet. I thought it was much better writing for him than the completely one-dimensional personality he's had in most of post-movie (not to hate on post-movie, I still love it.)

The fact that Squidward acted differently than the one-dimensional version of himself was one of the many reasons this felt pre-movie to me.
I completely agree with this. Squidward had more than just being a pessimistic person here. They gave him actual feelings, which was lacking in first-post-movie. Him being nuts, angry but at the same time a caring person made me really happy and that was what I wanted to see in Squidward in years. I dunno why I'm surprised cuz it was written by Kaz.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
Also, and this is very minor, but I have to say that the title card looks really good here, and it has an original music, like Eek, an Urchin!, Séance Shméance and Yeti Krabs in this season

MrTortellini00 said:
Also, and this is very minor, but I have to say that the title card looks really good here, and it has an original music, like Eek, an Urchin!, Séance Shméance and Yeti Krabs in this season.
I forgot to mention that, good thinking. It had a lot classic background music.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
I'm not sure if I liked this one as much as its partner, but this one was still good and fun to watch. But anyways, the writing was actually pretty solid for the most part and some of the jokes could fit perfectly in pre movie time. I liked the idea of two plots for the episode, but I kinda wish SpongeBob and Squidward's plot had more time because they have amazing chemistry together and it's almost certain that you'll get a great episode with these two.

I also liked the fact that Squidward seemed fairly worried about SB being flushed. Solid episode, and I do hope to see Kaz write more in the future.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
This may be my first viewing, but it will probably change.

Pros:
* Squidward was written much better here: not too hot-tempered or easily abused, but actually concerned. Kinda makes me think of Pizza Delivery. Kudos to Kaz for not screwing his character up.
* The Jeff Bennett voiced character, he was hilarious; also much of the subplot
* Some great use of BG music, animation, humor.

Cons:
* While his writing of the characters were in-character for SB, Squidward, and Krabs, Kaz's writing feels a little off in term of timing/jokes.
* Main plot needs more humor
* A tad boring

SCORE: 7/10 (GOOD)

Fun facts:
* First episode since season 3 where Kaz gets a writing credit; also his first solo effort (although it doesn't hold a candle to his season 3 work). In other notes, he's just credited as a writer, rather than doing storyboards.
* 2nd episode boarded by Lynne Naylor (Vincent thought Fred Osmond did this one as well, but it was Lynne instead); also, Dave Cunningham gets a storyboard supervisor credit.
* 4th post-sequel episode w/o Patrick.
* Jeff Bennett was the voice of Crupski, making it the first time he did a voice role in SpongeBob. I'm not surprised by this because if you think about, he's been showing up more and more Nicktoons these days and he doesn't show up in Cartoon network as much as he used to.
* Starting with PTG and this episode, Vincent Waller and Marc Ceccarelli are now supervising producers.

ScumBob

sicko m0de
The Lazy Starfish said:
IMO This episode was very well executed. It was pretty funny. The plot was very creative, and the ending was pretty funny as well. Not perfect but still very good.
8/10
it wouldnt be perfect anyway

President Squidward said:
so squidward and spongebob just went bat ::dolphin noise:: crazy and just threw everything in the toilet?

that's so perfectly in character...

like I know it's annoying to complain about OOC but it's not very entertaining to watch when everything is just zaniness (which I know the show has always had, but not turned up to 11)
tbh that was only one part in the episode

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Does anybody know what is the classical music playing when the snake is defeated and SpongeBob and Squidward return to Krusty Krab?

Loopers

Sportz?
I really liked the animation and the one-time characters in this episode, but however, this episode focused too much on the plot, instead of the jokes. So, a 7/10 at best.

WizKhali

Floating Shopping List
I love this episode! Especially since Squidward and Spongebob had a moment of happiness by throwing all of that stuff in the toilet. The animation is top-notch; I also love the Plot A and B formula and how it transitions back and forth. Kaz did a great job with this one. 9/10 for me!

Back