194a. Patrick! the Game

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
BenPaz said:
Best Season 9 episode 10/10.
I have newer opinions on this episode.

It's not exactly perfect. There are a couple of flaws in it. However most of the episode is pretty good. It gets a 8/10 from me

Also it's not my favorite Season 9b episode anymore.

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
The_Swedish_Spongebob_Fan said:
I haven't seen this episode yet, but it looks really good. The best part is easily Sandy threatening to beat up Squidward for being mean to Patrick. I love the idea of Sandy defending her friends! So far, I think I wouldn't be bothered by the "Squidward Torture". He has become very annoying to me recently, so it feels justified to see him being tortured here.

I love the off-model faces too. I didn't know Adam Paloian was so talented. He's a huge reason why the show's animation improved recently! (However, I do wonder why Zeus Cervas and Erik Wiese didn't have this many great faces in their episodes, considering their work in pre-movie -and early season 4- looks better than the rest of season 4-9a.)
I have seen the episode now, and I still stand by what I said. This really is a good episode. Squidward is a huge, unlikable jerk in this episode, and I'm still very happy that Sandy gets mad at him for being mean to Patrick. I have to admit, this episode has a few flaws though: Some parts were kinda slow and the music was unfitting in some scenes. But I like this episode.

Also, Spongebob technically got a driver license! :clapping:

9/10

TheAngryWumbologyNerd

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
I hadn't seen a season 9 episode in such a long time, but saw this one online today. Holy shrimp. All I can say is, this show has really gotten better over the past couple of years! Patrick was actually funny, the plot was good, and everything flowed pretty well. I hope the writers can keep making episodes like this until it gets canceled.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode is comedic gold, the characters play off each other wonderfully.

9/10

I know that I'm in the minority here, but I really don't like this episode. Squidward is a big party pooper, so you'd expect the treatment toward him to be justified. The problem there is not the mistreatment itself, but the fact that Patrick is extremely obnoxious with it. It was funny the first few times, but by the end of the episode, the joke of "rules being changed as the plot goes along" was so repetitive that I no longer found it funny. Also, even if Squidward was a big party pooper, was it really worth being sent to actual prison? That seems too harsh, in my eyes. I like that Sandy is in this episode, but she's not enough to make this episode good. 3/10

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I really enjoyed this episode. I actually liked the premise here and while the game was random, it was very enjoyable to look at. It was also nice to the 4 main characters in this episode, especially Sandy. I actually didn't mind Patrick's stupidity in this episode, as he actually wanted to invent his own game throughout the episode. I actually enjoyed his character here. I liked the parts where he was actually claiming to Squidward thay he invented the games like Tic Tac and Rock Paper and Butter. There was already Tic Tac Toe in Pineapple Fever, but whatever. The best parts were SpongeBob "driving" around the "table" and Squidward slamming Patrick on the floor. The episode in general was funny in many ways as well. The rules Patrick made up were funny too, even if they get repetitive at times. I think the way Squidward was treated here wasn't as bad as people think. It's very tolerable. I didn't mind it in this episode. The ending was okay though. The cops came out pretty random, but they didn't bother me here. I liked the silly faces here, unlike in Face Freeze and Squiward yelling the whole time and claiming that he automatically won the game was really funny. It's a really great episode and actually one of my favorite Season 9 episodes so far. I liked the title card as well. It looks great. :D

I enjoyed this episode. It felt a little mean towards Squidward at the end, but that's about the only complaint I have. Everything else is funny, the story is great, and I love how enthusiastic SpongeBob and Sandy are.

Ranking so far:
1. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
2. License to Milkshake (A)
3. Tutor Sauce (A)
4. Evil Spatula (A)
5. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
6. Patrick! The Game (A)
7. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
8. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
9. Bumper to Bumper (B)
10. Plankton's Pet (B)
11. Jailbreak! (B)
12. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
13. Patrick-Man! (B)
14. Yeti Krabs (B)
15. Extreme Spots (B)
16. Squid Plus One (B)
17. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
18. Gary's New Toy (B)
19. Company Picnic (B)
20. Don't Look Now (C)
21. Squirrel Record (C)
22. The Executive Treatment (C)
23. Seance Shmeance (C)
24. Sanctuary! (D)
25. Squid Defense (D)
26. Kenny the Cat (D)
27. Squid Baby (E)
28. Little Yellow Book (F)
29. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This episode is alright. My main problem with it is that the story doesn't really go anywhere, and there's no conflict up until the end when Squidward goes insane and tears apart the game. The characters are good, and I like all of the board game references, but I just wish that it actually built up to something.

Decent episode (6/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. Plankton's Pet (9)
3. Squid Plus One (8)
4. Pull up a Barrel (8)
5. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
6. Tutor Sauce (7)
7. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
8. Jailbreak (7)
9. License to Milkshake (6)
10. Patrick! the Game (6)
11. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
12. Extreme Spots (6)
13. The Executive Treatment (6)
14. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
15. Squid Defense (6)
16. Gary's New Toy (6)
17. Bumper to Bumper (6)
18. Squirrel Record (5)
19. Séance Schméance (5)
20. Patrick-Man! (5)
21. Evil Spatula (5)
22. Company Picnic (5)
23. Kenny the Cat (5)
24. Sanctuary! (5)
25. Yeti Krabs (4)
26. Don't Look Now (4)
27. Squid Baby (3)
28. Little Yellow Book (2)
29. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. Squid Plus One (8)
3. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
4. Tutor Sauce (7)
5. Patrick! the Game (6)
6. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
7. The Executive Treatment (6)
8. Company Picnic (5)
9. Sanctuary! (5)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Patrick! The Game” is an episode I’ve always adored from the very first watch, so I was very, very excited to rewatch it for the purposes of this review. There was always a lot to love here, even for much younger me. It was funny, the characters were great, and the characters included was another bonus. And I stand by these opinions now. The only difference is that now I can expound on these things.

The plot of this episode is pretty entertaining, and interesting, even if it is quite simple. Patrick’s failed attempts at trying to create a game were entertaining, and eventually he makes a real one after all. I like the idea of Patrick creating a board game, and I like how it was so dramatized in this episode, that he was going Frankenstein on this thing. I suppose that is what he ended up doing, going by the looks of the actual board, but still, very dramatic, and y’all know I love my drama. And I love how the whole point of the game is to just be random and do whatever, like maybe that sounds like my kinda game? Just kidding, I can be a rule freak.

As for the humor of this episode, like I’ve already said, this thing is funny. I loved the bit with Squidward being like “the operative word is think”. That’s not the funniest moment of this episode, but Squidward sounded exactly like me there (in terms of my own brand of humor), so I felt special haha. There’s plenty of other great jokes here as well. I loved the lightbulb gag, that’s one of my favorite one of those in the show. I loved Squidward’s constant misfortune in this episode, because it’s deserved and again, super funny. The jail bit was great.

Next up, I’ll talk about the characters. I love that the group of characters we get is slightly different than the main four, as we get Sandy instead of Mr. Krabs. And I think this works a lot better for the episode, I don’t think Mr. Krabs would’ve quite fit in here. As for the characters themselves, I think they’re all written very well. Patrick is funny, SpongeBob is just cute, Squidward is also funny, and Sandy is queenie as always. Also, this episode actually has some decent interactions between Sandy and Squidward, which I adore. Sandy working to protect Patrick’s feelings is wholesome and hilarious. I love how Squidward slowly gets more and more competitive as the episode goes on too. It reminds me of “Snowball Effect”.

In sum, “Patrick! The Game” is simply a good, fun episode. There really isn’t much for me to say, I just really, really liked it. And I always have.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

Back