193a. Sanctuary!

BobCarotte

meep
MasiHosseini said:
Why are some people complaining about the so called "Squid Abuse"? There wasn't even "Squid Abuse" to begin with. Besides, his allergic reaction regarding snails doesn't count as "Squid Abuse." He was just unlucky. Some people treat him like Jesus or something. I have got it off my chest now.
I didn't complain about it, but you're right.

ryanator20x6 said:
It was very creepy, disjointed, and mostly devoid of humor. Also the animation seemed... off. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, I thought this episode was pretty bad. The whole thing seemed like a very rushed plug for Bob Barker's animal rights efforts.
What was off about the animation?

nortonstime

Floating Shopping List
A standard episode, I'm afraid. Not much goes on and Patrick, Mr. Krabs and Squidward might as well not be in it as their roles are rather inconsequential. It's kind of odd that Squidward just has to get hurt in some way in every episode as of late. In this case he just vanishes into thin air (I guess) when Spongebob gives the snails back.

I noticed the three references to Hunchback of Notre Dame:

1) The title
2) Spongebob falls in the mud, a snail under the back of his shirt , and gets up with a pained expression before yelling "Sanctuary!", clearly resembling Quasimodo at this point.
3) The snail named Esmeralda

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
The only problem was the pacing near the end, it could've definitely used another minute or two. Also I like how it portrayed the whole "crazy cat lady" stereotype there, it was pretty interesting as I like this creepy kinda stuff, like Nasty Patty, and Squidward in Clarinetland. 8.5/10 episode for me, just depends if you like the creepier side of SpongeBob, except for Squid's Visit because Squid's Visit is Squid's Visit and it's horrible.
Also Senor Poopus x Gary forever!

This episode is a season 6 episode done right, at least to me. It used gross-out in a silly and tolerable way, it actually made me laugh. SpongeBob was creepy in this episode but it was reasonable and it wasn't too far. As for Squidward's allergies, it's not a Squidward abuse lile others said. It was an allergy and the allergy thing was barely a continuty issue but even if it was, the show has no continuty, so not important. A lot jokes were really good like Patrick as a snail and Hunchback of Notre Dome references. Up there with What's Eating Patrick and Company Picnic as my favorite season 9.2 episode. 10/10

Supmandude

Squog
I just got the chance to watch this, because I've been pretty busy lately. Anyway, it was a 10/10 perfect joke and the live-action Dani head was perfect and hilarious and so was every single other gag!!! Perfect episode!!!!!

Did anyone else notice the outline of Gary's shell was colored here? Usually it's black, I think this is the first time it was a dark pink.

Also, I called the "spayed and neutered" line way back in the guest stars thread.

Kinda creepy, but nice!

1. What's Eating Patrick? (9.5/10)

2. Squid Plus One (9/10)
3. Pull Up A Barrel (8.5/10)
4. Tutor Sauce (8/10)
5. The Executive Treatment (7.5/10)
6. Sanctuary! (7/10)
7. Lost in Bikini Bottom (5.5/10)
8. Company Picnic (5/10)

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I rewatched this episode and it's better than I remembered. My rating is now a 9/10.

Invincibubble

Krabby Patty Perfectionist
Found this on the SpongeBob Tumblr:
"There's no such thing as loving snails too much."
tumblr_nw7v6e9g911qbtwyto1_500.jpg

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I will give it a 7.5/10 because it was creepy at times...I liked the ending so much :P He realized that it was Patrick and he said ''I am going to adopt you'' :P It had some good quotes too! 7.5 it's a good rate I believe :)

Marnie

Part Computer or Something
This was an interesting mixed bag. I've always been fond of episodes where Spongebob goes off the deep end. There are plenty of creative visuals in this episode I appreciated, such as Spongebob's arm being pulled up to reveal a human hand. It wasn't much of a joke, but it was entertaining to see. The plot doesn't sound too interesting but it ended up being interesting to follow. Squidward being left to handle both being a cashier and a fry cook is not an original setup by any means, and this episode does little to distinguish it, which was an unfortunate mark on the episode.

The funniest gag in the episode for me was Spongebob constantly being mistaken for a woman in his get-up. I loved the expression he wore. The artists managed to make it both hollow and off-putting, but not necessarily malicious. It gave the impression of a well-intentioned person with a few screws loose, which completely matched the tone of the episode. The first joke of the episode, where Spongebob names the stray snail 'Senor Poopus' fell flat and was another sour point.

The director of the Snail pound was my least favorite aspect of the episode. He appears out of nowhere, and although he explains the sudden abundance of snails, I disliked his character. Everything from his speaking pattern to his final line, "Don't forget to have your pets spayed and neutered," were annoying to me.

Despite my numerous complaints, this episode never stopped being entertaining and was even heartwarming in a sense. The episode took a simple concept, managed to get a few good jokes and visuals, with some hiccups along the way. Ultimately, I'd give the episode a 6.5/10.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode is really good, a creepy episode done right. SpongeBob as a snail lady is very amusing.

8/10

Back