192a. Company Picnic

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one was... weird. I don't really know how to feel about it. There's alot of things here that just don't make sense, like Mr. Krabs agreeing to sign the contract, Squidward acting very childish, and all of the stuff just being a hologram. This episode isn't really bad per se, it's just really confusing.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. Plankton's Pet (9)
2. Squid Plus One (8)
3. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
4. Tutor Sauce (7)
5. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
6. Jailbreak (7)
7. License to Milkshake (6)
8. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
9. Extreme Spots (6)
10. The Executive Treatment (6)
11. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
12. Squid Defense (6)
13. Gary's New Toy (6)
14. Bumper to Bumper (6)
15. Squirrel Record (5)
16. Séance Schméance (5)
17. Patrick-Man! (5)
18. Evil Spatula (5)
19. Company Picnic (5)
20. Kenny the Cat (5)
21. Yeti Krabs (4)
22. Don't Look Now (4)
23. Squid Baby (3)
24. Little Yellow Book (2)
25. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. Squid Plus One (8)
2. Tutor Sauce (7)
3. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
4. The Executive Treatment (6)
5. Company Picnic (5)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one was... weird. I don't really know how to feel about it. There's alot of things here that just don't make sense, like Mr. Krabs agreeing to sign the contract, Squidward acting very childish, and all of the stuff just being a hologram. This episode isn't really bad per se, it's just really confusing.

Meh episode (5/10)

1. Plankton's Pet (9)
2. Squid Plus One (8)
3. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
4. Tutor Sauce (7)
5. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
6. Jailbreak (7)
7. License to Milkshake (6)
8. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
9. Extreme Spots (6)
10. The Executive Treatment (6)
11. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
12. Squid Defense (6)
13. Gary's New Toy (6)
14. Bumper to Bumper (6)
15. Squirrel Record (5)
16. Séance Schméance (5)
17. Patrick-Man! (5)
18. Evil Spatula (5)
19. Company Picnic (5)
20. Kenny the Cat (5)
21. Yeti Krabs (4)
22. Don't Look Now (4)
23. Squid Baby (3)
24. Little Yellow Book (2)
25. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. Squid Plus One (8)
2. Tutor Sauce (7)
3. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
4. The Executive Treatment (6)
5. Company Picnic (5)
Per JoeyBoi

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Plankton's Pet (Perfect)
License to Milkshake (Perfect)
The Executive Treatment (Amazing)
Patrick-Man! (Amazing)
Séance Schméance (Amazing)
Squid Plus One (Awesome)
Eek, An Urchin! (Awesome)
Safe Deposit Krabs (Awesome)
SpongeBob You're Fired (Great)
Squirrel Record (Great)
Kenny the Cat (Great)
Extreme Spots (Good)
Evil Spatula (Good)
Tutor Sauce (Good)
Squid Baby (Okay)
Jailbreak! (Okay)
Squid Defense (Mediocre)
Company Picnic (Meh)
Lost in Bikini Bottom (Meh)
Bumper to Bumper (Meh)
Gary's New Toy (Bad)
It Came From Goo Lagoon (Bad)
Yeti Krabs (Bad)
Little Yellow Book (Inferior)
Don't Look Now (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
One thing I really like about these newer episodes is that they’ve been taking established groups of characters and putting them in situations they’re not normally in, and you can see this most clearly with the Krusty Krab trio. SpongeBob, Squidward, and Mr. Krabs are almost always at the Krusty Krab. But this episode, “Company Picnic” starts a new precedent where these three characters interact in other locations, in this case Jellyfish Fields. And yes, we’ve seen this before, like in “SpongeBob vs. the Big One”, but it’s been happening a lot more as of late. I don’t think “Company Picnic” caused it, but it’s clearly an episode that is part of this trend, so I’ve always got a soft spot for this one because of that alone.

This is another episode that takes some time to get started, and again, I’m okay with that. SpongeBob playing with patties is pretty funny, and it of course leads to chaos when Squidward ends up gets his eye burned. I love how SpongeBob gets so invested in his patty play lol. And this episode reminds me a lot of “Yeti Krabs”, with Mr. Krabs trying to give SpongeBob something to do. It’s kind of funny, since those episodes are relatively close to each other in production order, though of course in two different halves of the season.

I like this idea of the Krusty Krab crew (I really wanted to spell crew with a K but…not in that sentence…just no) going on a company picnic to raise morale. Mr. Krabs’ reactions to SpongeBob’s suggestion are hilarious, he really is a greedy boss, and a stand-in for most corporate entities. I’m telling you this show has an anti-capitalist message underlying it, but maybe I’m just inhaling copium. I love how the company picnic ends up being this cheap-o affair, because of course it would be. This is Mr. Krabs we’re talking about. Though of course, he ends up abandoning SpongeBob, the only true believer in the Krusty Krab cause ,to join Plankton’s company picnic.

We then of course see Plankton’s entrance into this episode, as I suppose it’s been a little bit since we’ve seen him. And now it means we get to see him in a different place for once too! Also, props to Mr. Lawrence, that sequence of sounds Plankton made when getting out of the van were really funny to me for whatever reason. Anyway, Plankton’s set up here makes me think of “Welcome to the Chum Bucket”. That’s not important to how I view this episode, but it’s something I wanted to say. Mr. Krabs’ confidence that his employees won’t desert him, promptly followed up by Squidward’s mad dash to the delicacies, is pretty funny, and expected. It also leads to a neat visual gag, so wins all around!

It is of course up to SpongeBob to save the day here, as Mr. Krabs and Squidward are almost entranced into signing away their livelihoods to Plankton (well…livelihood in Mr. Krabs’ case. I don’t think Squidward cares other than his very hidden and repressed well of care for his job and the people there). Turns out Mr. Krabs isn’t the only cheap-o around either, because Plankton was just making all of his stuff look good. Ew.

Another thing I like in this episode (and that I’ve been liking for a while), is the animation. All the characters look so cute here, especially SpongeBob! Remember when I used to say back in the day that seasons 1-3, but particularly season 1, understood the “SpongeBob being cute” assignment? Yeah, we’re finally seeing this understanding return, because SpongeBob is so cute in the newer episode style, and we’re only going to see this get better and better as we move through these double-digit seasons. I’m excited.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.9/10

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
The slo-mo scene sets off my misophonia, but not as bad as in Bubble Buddy. Kinda reminds me of Sonic in that one AoStH episode.

Back