191a. Squid Plus One

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
Honest Slug said:
Squidward isn't hurting SpongeBob in any way. Squidward doesn't need to bring him to the showing if he doesn't want to. I really don't know why it's so heinous for Squidward to just not want to bring SpongeBob when he isn't the type that'd fit well at a fancy art gallery.
I'll admit it's not THAT heinous, but it's still not fair or justified, if you ask me. All Spongebob wanted was to spend some time with him.
If they didn't show SB being sad (very brief, but still), this wouldn't have been such a huge issue for me.
Growlie said:
So that what Introvert means!
Yes, apparently. :xP:

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
Honest Slug said:
Squidward is supposed to be a grumpy introvert. I think he has a right to not bring SpongeBob considering how annoying he finds him. (And I find him too at times)
what do you mean remember the episode the lost matress

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
This episode actually fits me and among others. As a person who has always been an introvert, I loved this episode. I liked it more than other people did here. I usually act like him the most, being too critical to little things and trying to stay alone. So, we all thought that SpongeBob was going to be annoying in this episode, but he actually wasn't, so he was playing with the jump rope the entire time. We've seen the mailman (Norton) sometimes, but he actually turned to be shy and more sensitive in this episode than he did in the other episodes he appeared in and that's actually a good thing as it makes things more unique. I was surprised to Larry in this episode and never saw him with Squidward together before. Something fresh here, wow. But also surprising, because Larry isn't the type of guy who likes fine arts like Squidward does, but he admitted himself that he isn't that type of guy. I think this episode was better than The Executive Treatment. The ending was actually great. I don't think it would be weird to see Squidward and SpongeBob hanging out with each other at the end, as we already saw them together in a few episodes, but as SpongeBob isn't really a fine arts type of guy, then why bother? Instead we see Squidward with the mirror SpongeBob was actually holding. What a good way to end the episode. A great episode if you ask me and a gem of Season 9.

A pretty good episode. I won't lie, I don't like it quite as much as others do, but it's still enjoyable, and an episode I would recommend. But this episode could've used a few more jokes. That's all.

Ranking so far:
1. License to Milkshake (A)
2. Tutor Sauce (A)
3. Evil Spatula (A)
4. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
5. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
6. Bumper to Bumper (B)
7. Plankton's Pet (B)
8. Jailbreak! (B)
9. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
10. Patrick-Man! (B)
11. Yeti Krabs (B)
12. Extreme Spots (B)
13. Squid Plus One (B)
14. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
15. Gary's New Toy (B)
16. Don't Look Now (C)
17. Squirrel Record (C)
18. Seance Shmeance (C)
19. Squid Defense (D)
20. Kenny the Cat (D)
21. Squid Baby (E)
22. Little Yellow Book (F)
23. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is a nice episode. Norton is honestly a really relatable character in my eyes, and his anti-clarinet speech was really funny. I also like how Squidward was portrayed here. Instead of him being just a soulless jerk, he feels like just an introverted guy who struggles interacting with other people, which I can definitely relate with. The ending was pretty funny too. Really enjoyed this one.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Plankton's Pet (9)
2. Squid Plus One (8)
3. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
4. Tutor Sauce (7)
5. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
6. Jailbreak (7)
7. License to Milkshake (6)
8. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
9. Extreme Spots (6)
10. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
11. Squid Defense (6)
12. Gary's New Toy (6)
13. Bumper to Bumper (6)
14. Squirrel Record (5)
15. Séance Schméance (5)
16. Patrick-Man! (5)
17. Evil Spatula (5)
18. Kenny the Cat (5)
19. Yeti Krabs (4)
20. Don't Look Now (4)
21. Squid Baby (3)
22. Little Yellow Book (2)
23. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Good episode that i enjoyed a lot

Rating: Awesome Episode

Rankings:
Plankton's Pet (Perfect)
License to Milkshake (Perfect)
Patrick-Man! (Amazing)
Séance Schméance (Amazing)
Squid Plus One (Awesome)
Eek, An Urchin! (Awesome)
Safe Deposit Krabs (Awesome)
SpongeBob You're Fired (Great)
Squirrel Record (Great)
Kenny the Cat (Great)
Extreme Spots (Good)
Evil Spatula (Good)
Tutor Sauce (Good)
Squid Baby (Okay)
Jailbreak! (Okay)
Squid Defense (Mediocre)
Lost in Bikini Bottom (Meh)
Bumper to Bumper (Meh)
Gary's New Toy (Bad)
It Came From Goo Lagoon (Bad)
Yeti Krabs (Bad)
Little Yellow Book (Inferior)
Don't Look Now (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Yay another episode premiere that I remember! I remember loving this episode back in the day, so clearly that’s gotta translate to now, right? Yes, yes it does.

Remember when I was talking about how these episodes have been starting to really focus on other characters more? Well this episode is another example of that. Of course, SpongeBob is present, but “Squid Plus One” is pretty much all Squidward. And that’s a good thing, because Squidward is written very well here, being the clear cause of his own misfortune. And it’s fun to see him interact with other Bikini Bottom citizens, something he rarely does.

Squidward can be so me-core with his little self-care routine with himself. This first scene with him and SpongeBob is pretty entertaining, and full of great expressions too. And then I love how he ends up yelling at the mailman, too funny. And this first instance of him being rude to a Bikini Bottomite is a great look at what’s to come, as Squidward will proceed to be rude and insufferable towards every person he comes across in this episode. But it’s all done in such an entertaining and enjoyable way, so I’m not upset by any means.

Anyway, Squidward receives an invitiation to a gallery opening…an invitation for him and a plus one. And here’s where our plot comes into play. This episode takes its time with setting up the plot, and I’m fine with that. Some episodes don’t need to jump straight into things, as long as they’ve got their pacing down, and this one does. Okay back to the episode. Squidward starts getting insecure about having no friends, so he goes to literally anyone he can think of, who isn’t SpongeBob, to see if they’d join him to the gallery showing. And this is where I think the episode misses an opportunity to actually use the established camraderie between Mr. Krabs and Squidward…but oh well. Anyway, Squidward finds pretty much no success in befriending the masses of Bikini Bottom, both because he’s insufferable, and also because some of them are insufferable to him (like the mailman and his clarinet rant…though I relate to him because I too am highly opinionated). Eventually, Squidward is forced to accept SpongeBob’s friendship, though he only makes SpongeBob carry his plus one…a mirror of himself. Pretty good ending, I’d say.

I’m trying to decide how I feel about the underlying themes of this episode. Is it about how it’s okay to go to events by yourself, who cares what other people think? Or is it a warning not to be a miserable, judgemental grump or else no one will want to be your friend? Is it both? Is it neither? I’m not sure. All I know is that the expectation that people need to go to all events with someone (including dinner) is ludicrous, and people should be comfortable doing things on their own. It is for this reason that I’m choosing to see this episode as an undercover co-opter of this statement lol. So basically, the mailman is the real loser, Squidward would’ve been a winner if he didn’t listen to him, and that’s that on that.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.1/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
This episode was mostly carries by the humor and other stuff and the ending is okay
  1. Plankton's Pet (10/10)
  2. Lost In Bikini Bottom (9.5/10)
  3. Patrick-Man! (9.5/10)
  4. Safe Deposit Krabs (9.5/10)
  5. Evil Spatula (9/10)
  6. Tutor Sauce (9/10)
  7. Don't Look Now (9/10)
  8. Seance Schmance (8.5/10)
  9. Squid Plus One (8.5/10)
  10. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8.5/10)
  11. Bumper To Bumper (8.5/10)
  12. Eek, An Urchin! (7/10)
  13. License To Milkshake (6.5/10)
  14. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)
  15. Jailbreak! (6.5/10)
  16. Gary's New Toy (6.5/10)
  17. Squirrel Record (6/10)
  18. Yeti Krabs (3.5/10)
  19. Squid Defense (3/10)
  20. Kenny The Cat (1/10)
  21. Little Yellow Book (0.5/10)
  22. Squid Baby (0/10)
  23. SpongeBob You're Fired! (-99999999/10)

Back