189. SpongeBob, You're Fired!

delete my account

PRESIDENT
Oh, Neptune. Where do I even begin?

1. Rip off of not one, but TWO episodes: Bummer Vacation and Le Big Switch
2. For the vast majority of the episode, NOTHING HAPPENS. Did we REALLY need 22 minutes for this?
3. Humor is nonexistent, if any, Even if it is there, the jokes are just lame puns and visual gags.
4. The writers tried to suck out every remaining likeability of the characters: From Mr. Krabs (you CAN argue with a nickel, actually) to Sandy (who feeds people toxic waste with no sense of morality) and even Patrick (Unemployment! THAT's a great message for the kiddies!)
5. Spongebob cries for 35 seconds straight and for more than a minute in total. Gets annoying VERY quickly.
6. Filler. The first two minutes THEMSELVES are pointless filler.
7. The ending - Where our 3 main characters laugh at Old Man Jenkins who's about to ::dolphin noise:: himself.
8. SpongeBob has been fired twice in season 1 alone (Sleepy Time, Karate Choppers), so all of this hype was pretty unnecessary.
9. The ending was extremely predictable. In fact, when I first heard about this one, My first thoughts were "He's gonna get rehired. I guarantee it."

I'm honestly surprised by the positive reception this episode got. The writing is lackluster and the unoriginality is at it's highest.

FINAL SCORE: 2/10

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I thought it was a Meh episode, but I've seen worse. There were too many fillers,and Mr.Krabs cheapness was taken to a whole new level. Though I do like this quote from SpongeBob:
"I hope his pepperoni falls off"

Powerstars

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I didn't like it, I didn't even really find Spongebob's crying annoying, I just thought it was sad he was going through needless torture for 22 minutes.

Bioniclezilla76

Floating Shopping List
This episode was the dead center if ok for me. A lot of people says it rips off other episodes and even if it did it wouldn't be terrible. But I'm pretty sure all of those "rip offs" are intended to be omages. The crying was annoying, the reason mr. Krabs fired spongebob is not only bad but the only thing the episode that felt like it was recycling episodes, and they made Sandy unlikeable. At this point only one more character left which is Plankton. That happened three times before as recall. And the nothingness was dull. On the plus side there was some funny moments, Squidward beating up the restaurant dudes was enjoyably silly, the plot was entertaining and seeing Krabs pay for what he did was nice. 5/10

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Bioniclezilla76 said:
This episode was the dead center if ok for me. A lot of people says it rips off other episodes and even if it did it wouldn't be terrible. But I'm pretty sure all of those "rip offs" are intended to be omages. The crying was annoying, the reason mr. Krabs fired spongebob is not only bad but the only thing the episode that felt like it was recycling episodes, and they made Sandy unlikeable. At this point only one more character left which is Plankton. That happened three times before as recall. And the nothingness was dull. On the plus side there was some funny moments, Squidward beating up the restaurant dudes was enjoyably silly, the plot was entertaining and seeing Krabs pay for what he did was nice. 5/10
Great points. I don't really hate this one that much. It's meh for the most part and kinda weird how a cheater episode like this was made during this season. Kinda get the feeling the crew was forced to make this one in the midst of doing eps like "Plankton's Pet", "Safe Deposit Krabs," and "Jailbreak" all of which I really like.

Bioniclezilla76

Floating Shopping List
Great points. I don't really hate this one that much. It's meh for the most part and kinda weird how a cheater episode like this was made during this season. Kinda get the feeling the crew was forced to make this one in the midst of doing eps like "Plankton's Pet", "Safe Deposit Krabs," and "Jailbreak" all of which I really like.
Yeah I actually blame most the problems on this episode more on Nickelodeon than the SB cast because it's like they were making a normal "Firing" episode and the Nick executives are like "We want a special" so they put in some omages and padded it out with some nothingness and that's the episode we got today. It least a theory anyways.

end

Same here. This episode sticks out as...there. Some stuff I really liked in here that salvage it somewhat.

I can't believe I rated this a 7

I would give this a 5 tbh. The characterization was awfull.... why was Sandy a jerk?

léo elbarto

Bomb-Selling Pirate
E.V.I.L said:
I can't believe I rated this a 7

I would give this a 5 tbh. The characterization was awfull.... why was Sandy a jerk?
when exactly was sansy a jerk?

léo elbarto

Bomb-Selling Pirate
E.V.I.L said:
Oh, never
because nice people routinely give rotten, dangerous, and life-changing food to their townsfolk, never mind their best friend... that's what nice people do and that's totally in character for Sandster
actually sandy and patrick always kind of had a love/hate relationship and the main reasons she's underwater is for research purposes

léo elbarto said:
actually sandy and patrick always kind of had a love/hate relationship and the main reasons she's underwater is for research purposes
Yes, but where''s the love when you're TAINTING HIM with possibly dangerous food?
Love/hate relationships may involve tons of bickering, but there is never any actual harm intended because said people really do like each other.

And, yes, she is/was underwater for research purposes. However, she was very close to moving back in the episode Texas. The only reason she stayed is becuase she grew to view the Bikini Bottomites as a Texas under the sea; they became friends to her and not research subjects. I'm afraid that argument will not work in this case. =/
And as for more proof, in Chimps Ahoy, she had no scientific inventions due to Bikini Bottom becoming her home and she was miserable about having to leave so...

léo elbarto

Bomb-Selling Pirate
E.V.I.L said:
Yes, but where''s the love when you're TAINTING HIM with possibly dangerous food?
Love/hate relationships may involve tons of bickering, but there is never any actual harm intended because said people really do like each other.
what about band geeks or I had an accident?

léo elbarto said:
what about band geeks or I had an accident?
Once again, love/hate.

Yes, she thinks he's an idiot. Yes, she gets annoyed by his stupidity. NO, SHE DOES NOT HATE HIM!! NO, SHE DOES NOT WANT TO POISON HIM WITH POSSIBLY DANGEROUS FOOD!!

Would you consider it in-character for Squidward to poison SpongeBob with food?

léo elbarto

Bomb-Selling Pirate
E.V.I.L said:
Once again, love/hate.

Yes, she thinks he's an idiot. Yes, she gets annoyed by his stupidity. NO, SHE DOES NOT HATE HIM!! NO, SHE DOES NOT WANT TO POISON HIM WITH POSSIBLY DANGEROUS FOOD!!

Would you consider it in-character for Squidward to poison SpongeBob with food
actually she did know the food would not kill him just hurt him for his stupidity, something she does in the episodes i mentioned

léo elbarto said:
actually she did know the food would not kill him just hurt him for his stupidity, something she does in the episodes i mentioned
Ummmm...... it's clearly test food and it's clearly creating a second face on Patrick.
I wouldn't give my friends that food honestly, but whatever, I guess Sandy is secretly evil.

léo elbarto

Bomb-Selling Pirate
E.V.I.L said:
Ummmm...... it's clearly test food and it's clearly creating a second face on Patrick.
I wouldn't give my friends that food honestly, but whatever, I guess Sandy is secretly evil.
they're cartoon character

Back