189. SpongeBob, You're Fired!

I love this episode it is a very funny episode. I knew SpongeBob would get rehired but I still watched it and loved. It is my 2nd favorite Season 9 episode sorry Plankton's Pet you are now 3rd.
9/10

The Lazy Starfish

Frozen Cephalopod
I thought this Episode was pretty Good, however it did get boring at some parts and The Crying was annoying Too
8.5/10

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
I give it a 7.5/10. It's not bad, but it got kinda boring seeing SB moping for a few minutes. I like how we got to see (somewhat) fatherly Mr. Krabs, (somewhat) caring Squidward (FINALLY) and concerned Sandy. This might be one of those quickly forgettable episodes, but it was still good.

I'm still shocked spongebob actually said "I'm ready" in this episode. This episode proves the improvement of spongebob, showing they can make a good special. It also went deeper than I expected. Well, here's my rating

Post-movie scale: 9/10
Pre-movie scale: 7/10

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
This episode didn't really live up to its hype. I didn't like how Mr. Krabs fired SpongeBob for a puny nickel! But, hey. At least it wasn't a penny. Also, SpongeBob's crying was too much filler, and most of the first half was just SpongeBob lamenting over his lost job. However, some parts were good, such as Patrick growing a second face, which was cute and funny. SpongeBob trying to find a job was funny, too. I also liked the part where the restaurant owners were fighting over SpongeBob, and then a guy in a Krabby Patty costume
who was actually Squidward
came to his rescue. And, Squidward's lines near the end were nice, too. But, other than that, the episode wasn't all that special, and it seemed more like a plain old 11-minute episode with time-fillers to make it longer, and the ending was too rushed and predictable. Overall, this episode, while not bad, didn't live up to the standards of an awesome special, and it could have been better. 7/10

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Milkmaid Strangler said:
Anyways, this was a terrible episode with lots of filler and annoying crying, and it was complete idiocy.
I beg to differ. I liked it!! To 9/10.

SandTaro05

I'm ready for 2015!
I thought this ep was ok. Some parts did get a laugh out of me (SpongeBob staring through the window with a sad face,
SpongeBob dancing down the street, the restaurant owners fighting over him, ...) and others I found interesting, (Spongebob NoJob and his attitude. It was amusing to see this side of him.) but this episode certainly didn't need all the hype it was getting. I'm glad I refused to have any high expectations, I would have been disappointed...again.

I agree with the filler and the fact that it was resolved too quickly. It didn't feel like a special at all, just an regular episode extended. :T (I'm starting to wonder if this was originally supposed to be a regular episode, but Nick wanted the writers to make it longer so they can gather more ratings...) I kinda wish Spongebob went off to start a snail food business, since it seemed to be implying that he was going to do that next (to me, anyway).

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to what's left to air.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
I liked the episode. I guess now that I think about it, there weren't a whole lot of funny parts. I just found it to be a interesting plot. There were a few good puns here and there though like, "That wiener has me chained to the grill. And he really seems to be relishing it."
Sometimes I feel like people don't take episodes for what they are... everyone seems to always be looking for things to hate about new episodes. If it was season 3 people would probably call it a classic... who knows.
I don't think it was the greatest episode ever or anything.. but it was one of my recent favorites probably.
8.5/10

Patrick-Man!

Floating Shopping List
finally watched it. damn it was great! idk why people say it has filler scenes, idk i see it as added funny XD wasnt as emotional as i though :p
but damn did a character pull through in the end *COUGH* but it was funnny and all characters had a great part.
9/10

abney317 said:
Sometimes I feel like people don't take episodes for what they are... everyone seems to always be looking for things to hate about new episodes. If it was season 3 people would probably call it a classic... who knows.
Absolutely nailed it. The moment I point out a flaw about Dumped for example, everyone is like WELL TAT HAPPENS MORE IN POST MOVIE LULLL. @_@

This episode was good, however, it was far from the best thing ever.

Highlights:

SpongeBob saying I'm Ready! (did not see that one coming)
Patrick having a little buddy on his head (that was so cute :sbface: )
Squidward making the action instead of Krabs (Thank god)
The puns at the beginning (Lel)
The incorporation of Sandy and LACK of Plankton (how long has it been since that's happened while BEING A KK EPISODE?)

Dislikes:

SpongeBob cried way too much
It went by way too slow, and the part for finding a job was way too short
It wasn't too funny for most of it

Overall, I can give it a 7.

SpongeBobsNumber1Fan

Imitation Krab
Hi guys,

You may remember me if you were on the SpongeBob Wiki during the time when they actually had comment sections on articles. I always like to read what people think of new episodes, so I've been coming here for quite some time, but now that I have more time on my hands I will be contributing to the discussion for new episodes from now on. Anyway, here's what I thought of "SpongeBob, You're Fired!":

I LOVED this episode!!!! In my opinion, this is one of the best, if not the best, episode of Season 9 so far. The beginning was cute, I loved how SpongeBob split himself into tiny SpongeBobs to clean the dishes. The scene where he gets fired is very good because it just seems so... real. There isn't any dramatic build-up, Mr. Krabs just gives it to him straight. I do think it's a bit ridiculous that he got fired just for a nickel, but Mr. Krabs would sell SpongeBob's sould for 62 cents, so... maybe it's not too far of a stretch. I loved the "canned", "pink-slipped" and "axed" puns. When SpongeBob started to cry it made me genuinely sad. It literally broke my heart a bit to see him that way. I don't think I've seen anything as depressing on SpongeBobb since "Have You Seen This Snail?". This is a good thing, it means that the scene was very powerful and it touched my heart. So I think it was very well done, and representative of what happend in the workforce every day (not the crying part, the part where really good employees get laid off just to save some money). And to anyone who says SpongeBob cries too much: He just had his lifelong dream crushed before his eyes. You would cry, too!

The scene with SpongeBob coming home to Gary is depressing at first, but it was really heartwarming how Gary comforted SpongeBob. SpongeBob is right, there's nothing like the unconditional love of a pet! It was also really sweet how Patrick was upset by SpongeBob's crying. That is a true friend! And it was hilarious when SpongeBob couldn't say he got "fired" and Patrick started naming foods that started with F, especially when he said "I can't think of any more foods that begin with C!".
smile.png

The "Early The Next Morning" time card looked really cool.
biggrin.png

SpongeBob's appearance the next morning was quite depressing, especially his "Best Day Ever" mug... for some reason, this really pulled on my heart, probably the idea of SpongeBob making a slight attempt at cheering himself up, but failing miserably. Patrick trying to teach SpongeBob the joys of "fun-employment" was really funny, especially with SpongeBob trampling Squidward's petunias and trying to stick to Patrick's rock using Gary's snail slime.

It was cute how SpongeBob pulled off a piece of himself, dunked it in his coffee, then ate it, only to have it grow right back. I loved the scene with Sandy. Patrick's second head was hilarious, as was Sandy's "psychological experiment". I thought it was awesome how Sandy was concerned about SpongeBob and tried to cheer him up and get him back on his feet (Spandy Moment!), and how Patrick encouraged SpongeBob to follow his heart. It was really great to see SpongeBob revert back to his positive, happy self thanks to his friends' encouragement. This was really inspiring! It was so great to hear SponheBob's trademark "I'm Ready!" again, we haven't heard that in a very long time!
biggrin.png

The scenes of SpongeBob trying out jobs at those fast-food places were well done, too. The Weenie Hut, Pizza Piehole, Taco Sombrero, and Wet Noodle were all very creative and I love how each owner wears a costume of his restaurant's primary menu item, and how each owner is named after this food item (Mr. Weiner, Pizza Pete, Señor Taco, and Noodle Guy). I also love how The Weenie Hut is a reference to Weenie Hut Jr.'s. It was funny seeing SpongeBob make patties out of each food item and then get fired for it, and then mistake each restaurant owner for Mr. Krabs and complain about getting fired. It was sad to see him cry so much but this was justifiable. I also liked the snarky comments SpongeBob made to each restaurant owner when he got fired.

It was realy nice to hear SpongeBob refer to the snail food by it's brand name, Snailpo, this was a nice nod to the earlier seasons. I like how SpongeBob made his own snail food, this scene showed that SpongeBob was able to become happy by making others happy.
smile.png

It was hilarious to see SpongeBob get kidnapped by the fish in the hot dog costumes and kept as prisoner in The Weenie Hut. It got even more wacky when each fast-food restaurant owner tried to capture SpongeBob and almost ended up ripping him to pieces! This was a fantastic and hilarious scene. I loved how the Krabby Patty Man turned out to be Squidward... to be honest I really didn't see that coming! It was so touching and heartwarming how Squidward was the one to invite SpongeBob back to the Krusty Krab... he didn't want to admit it, but you could tell that Squidward really did care. It was also great seeing SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs make up, perhaps Mr. Krabs will try to be a bit less cheap from now on. I literally let out a cheer when SpongeBob exclaimed "My life has purpose again!"! It was great seeing SpongeBob restore the Krusty Krab, he's back and better than ever!
biggrin.png

I do admit that this ending was sort of predictable, but it was still really well executed and quite touching and heartwarming, I felt. I knew The Krusty Krab couldn't last without SpongeBob! It was cool to see all the fast-food restaurant owners eating together at The Krusty Krab. The ending with the 5-cent fee to use the bathroom was funny as well, but I do feel bad for Old Man Jenkins! I hope he found his nickel.
smile.png

If I could make one suggestion to the writers, it would be this: what they cold have done is have Mr. Krabs say, "Sorry, SpongeBob, but a nickel's a nickel. Besides, I just burned the last of the patties and now me customers are gone! I need to come up with a gimmick to get them back." At this point, SpongeBob would say, "I have an idea!" and the scene would cut to SpongeBob serving Hot Dog Patties, Pizza Patties, Taco Patties, and Noodle Patties to many happy customers including the fast-food restaurant owners. SpongeBob would then be hired back. An ending ike this might flesh out the episode and give some added meaning to SpongeBob's job hunting. But don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the ending we got!
smile.png

All in all, "SpongeBob, You're Fired!" was a cute, clever, funny, original, deep, and powerful episode. From the wacky plot to the characters' personalities to the references to old episodes, this episode is one of mt very favorites, not only from Season 9, but of all time! I like how the episode promotes the power of optimism, friendship, and perseverance, while also teaching a bit about the economy. I absolutely LOVE this episode and I give it a 10 out of 10!
biggrin.png

luvsSpongebob

Floating Shopping List
^ wow that's some review Gene Scallop....haha

I fell asleep half way. Not because it was bad, I was just super tired. Curse my sleepiness. I'll search for it online later.

Dazed

Floating Shopping List
Yes, this episode did have some humorous parts, but when it comes down to the characters' actions, I'm a bit disturbed.

First off, after seeing the preview, I was ecstatic to see what the hell SpongeBob could've done to make Mr. Krabs fire him. Because, let's be honest, Krabs treasures SB as an employee. Best frycook in Bikini Bottom.....depressed when SB went and worked for the Chum Bucket....and, just putting this out there, the nickel gag was already used. Remember when SB had to take a vacation in order for Mr. Krabs to save money. As I recall....it was a nickel! Seen it.

Secondly, WTF SANDY?! Sandy is supposed to be one of the sweet/nice/good-natured characters in this show along with being physically strong and intelligent. It's been established that she's good friends with Patrick and most of Bikini Bottom actually. But.... SHE'S FEEDING PATRICK TOXIC SLUDGE!! TOXIC. WASTE. What is the meaning of this?

And finally, I liked the idea of SB going to the various food joints and putting the Krabby Patty spin on them, but it was absurd how quickly he was fired from these locations. Hello, Pizzaguy! Just take the buns off! Duh. I dunno. This could have been executed better. How? I dunno, give me an hour and I could probably come up with a more reasonable plot.

Alas, perhaps I'm too cynical for my own good. But this one just didn't hook me in. Rating: 3/10.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
This one had some funny moments, boring moments, and depressing moments. It was a good episode, but it almost feels like it would work better if it was a 16 minute special (Like Shanghied or Back To The Past). Patrick's "Little head buddy" was LOL-worthy, and Gary was heartwarming. I give it a 8/10.

Back