189. SpongeBob, You're Fired!

Hasbean

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I don't think that there's much in this episode that I could say that hasn't been said already. I found it to be boring for most of the time; it really should've been 11 minutes (the first few minutes of SB cleaning up the KK were pretty cool, but could've been shortened) and I actually thought it was going to be while watching it. The crying jag likewise went on for too long, but it wasn't at the grating volume or pitch of "All that Glitters". I was just waiting for the episode to get on with the plot, only to realize that the plot was about as thin as Pizza Pete's crust. It was highly structured and predictable, which is a shame when a lot of the strength of post-movie eps were in interesting plots. There weren't enough gags to make up for it either, although there were some (I smiled at: the mini-sponges cleaning the dishes, the firing puns, Squidward's dress, and the refs to Pickles and Best Day Ever).

While the four restaurants being located next to each other was amusing (I live in the suburbs where we have a Walgreens every 6 blocks), the reason why he kept getting fired was inane as it was confusing, considering what occurs later on. So he makes all of the food perfectly, except he uses the pizza/hotdogs/noodles/burritos as patties. Can't the owners just take the buns off? Furthermore, where did SB even get buns at the pizza/Mexican/Chinese places? But the huge "Huh?" moment was when the Weenie guy kidnapped him; sir, if you wanted him that badly, you shouldn't've fired him in the first place. Then, for no reason, the other restauranteurs realized they made the same mistakes and began fighting over him too. Mr. K ended up looking pretty fair as far as restaurant owners go.

I agree that it seemed like SB was going to open up a Snailpo business when Pat and Gary liked his homemade kibble. That probably would've been more interesting than what we ended up with. I would have preferred it if SB had actually enjoyed his new job and the episode would focus more on how ST and Mr. Krabs were getting along; it would've been an opportunity to put in lots of jokes/visual gags, which this trio is good at.

There were good things about SYF. What made me happy about SB's firing was that it wasn't mean-spirited, or anything that was really his fault, etc. looking too happy. I also appreciated that it wasn't Squidward who manned the grill and sucked at it for the nth time (because hasn't Mr. K learned anything?), but Mr. Krabs, whom we haven't seen cooking since Squilliam Returns and wasn't much better than he is now. Fridge Logic kicks in a bit when you realize that as the creator of the Krabby Patty, he really should know how to cook his own food, though. Mr. Krabs actually respecting the law was good, too.

Gary was so heartwarming in this episode I can't even, which is good to watch post-Treats (although I much prefer Treats to this ep). "You need me?" <3 Even if it was just so SB fed him, it was sweet. Sandy though, wtf; feeding toxic waste to someone who's supposed to be her friend (Patrick). In the words of SB, "Are you sure that isn't illegal?" Furthermore, you notice how nobody needed a water helmet inside the tree dome? Squidward, hooray! I've been waiting for you to say something nice to SB since Sponge-cano!, and you almost pulled through. At least there's something ST hates more than SB, and since actions speak louder than words, a guy who knows nothing about karate willing to beat up 4 potential sponge-nappers (while sacrificing his dignity wearing a Krabby suit) is actually very selfless. Mr. K was decent at the end, although the beginning brought back some S6 "will kill you for a nickel" tendencies.

All in all, this was a "Meh" episode. There weren't that many grossout pics (barring that one of fun-employment!SB), the characters seemed to like each other, and the crying wasn't especially annoying. However, it wasted a good plot and wasn't funny enough to get a 'great' rating from me. Honestly, I was disappointed that Mr. Lawrence, Luke Brookshier, and Mark Ceccarelli, the creators of Plankton's Pet and Eek! An Urchin, couldn't come up with anything better.

Overall: 5/10 at the lowest, 6.5/10 when I'm in a good mood

(Sorry to all who read this about crappy grammar/transition phrases. I might as well write my feelings down while they're hot.)

Mantis

killer queen best stand
This episode is worst than Atlantis Squarepantis and Truth or Square COMBINED. I mean really, SB get fired OVER A FRICKEN NICKEL. How cheap can Mr. Krabs get? Well I JUST TOLD YOU. I got bored of this episode faster than the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point can take off. I turned it off AFTER TWO MINUTES. The writers of this episode were lazy and uncreative D:<

This episode is worst than Atlantis Squarepantis and Truth or Square COMBINED. I mean really, SB get fired OVER A FRICKEN NICKEL. How cheap can Mr. Krabs get? Well I JUST TOLD YOU. I got bored of this episode faster than the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point can take off. I turned it off AFTER TWO MINUTES. The writers of this episode were lazy and uncreative D:<
Shouldn't you watch the episode in its entirety before reviewing it?

Karen 5000

Is it Rainbow Crash or Rainbow Dash?
I give it a 8/10. I am not sure why Mr Krabs fires Spongebob for JUST A NICKEL.(That can prove to you that Mr Krabs is cheap)
Anyway this episode makes me hungry as there is the Krusty Krab, Weenie Hut, Pizza Piehole, Taco Sombero and Wet Noodle. I like the pay toilet because Old Man Jenkins can't find the nickel for it.

EVSPONGEFAN

Balloon Traveler
It was a eh...episode. I was really looking forward to this episode! But, to me it seemed very short and I don't remember seeing ANY Patchy stuff. It had a lot of crying (that wasn't the worst part) the worst part was that it was too predictable!!! I liked SpongeBob going to the different restaurants for a job, but the gags were dull and I didn't laugh. They could have changed the plot instead of Mr. Krabs being so cheap it was so annoying!! They could have said something like the best fry cook in the under-sea world was in Bikini Bottom and he was going to make Mr. Krabs triple they money he gets from SpongeBob's cooking. That plot would have changed my opinion about the episode. It was a big disappointment for me, but like I said I enjoying SpongeBob working at the other restaurants were fun to watch.

SurprisedPatrik

Floating Shopping List
0/10. Bland, Ripping off stories, has way too much filler,and barely tells a story whatsoever

Spongetron Robotpants said:
*claps* bravo! bravo! :D

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Doowopasaurus said:
Shouldn't you watch the episode in its entirety before reviewing it?
Well I turned it off after two minutes the first, then I went back and watched the rest of it. And I was not pleased by it.

OldFanNewSkeptic said:
Especially because this episode gets good if you keep watching it. It just gets off to a slow start.
No it doesnt. This episode hits rock bottom, and continues to dig deeper.

spongebobfan64 said:
I FINALLY got to see this episode on Christmas Eve. It was a really great episode.
Maybe you didnt know this, but the episode hits rock bottom and continues to dig deeper. Its like if Ed wrote this episode with Patrick and GIR.

SuprisedPatrick said:
0/10. Bland, Ripping off stories, has way too much filler,and barely tells a story whatsoever

*claps* bravo! bravo! :D
Im glad you hate this episode. Im so sick of everyone treating this episode like its God.

Spongetron Robotpants said:
Well I turned it off after two minutes the first, then I went back and watched the rest of it. And I was not pleased by it.

No it doesnt. This episode hits rock bottom, and continues to dig deeper.

Maybe you didnt know this, but the episode hits rock bottom and continues to dig deeper. Its like if Ed wrote this episode with Patrick and GIR.

Im glad you hate this episode. Im so sick of everyone treating this episode like its God.
NO ONE treats this episode like a God. Sure there are some people who thinks this episode is perfect but this episode got so many negative reviews by fans. Plus, It got the first place on top 30 Worst SpongeBob Episodes 3rd Edition (Inspired by Mo' Bros)". Honestly, I like this episode but I wouldn't call it masterpiece. It has some flaws and I can understand why you hate this episode.

ThePineappleLord

Moby Dollar
Hey guys lets rip off every mediocre episode, load it with tons of filler, have an interesting subplot that goes nowhere, call it a special, and still make the ending as predictable as all heck. 4th worst episode on my list 2/10

ThePineappleLord

Moby Dollar
So before I begin tearing apart this episode I want to talk about the concept of Sponge Bob getting fired, he has been fired before on numerous occasions, episodes such as "Karate choppers" and "Squid on strike" can be some examples. Also before this episode came out it was referred to as a “special” in the commercials, I can assure you that that is far from the truth because that episode is just a compilation of predictable situations that we have already seen in other episodes.[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
Alright enough beating around the bush lets review this...[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
So right off the bat we see our first problem with the episode, THE FILLER. When I say filler I mean stuff in the episode that has no relevance to the plot or humor, and there is a lot of that here. After sponge bob demonstrates his love for the krusty krab, because you know that wasn’t relevant since episode one, Mr. Krabs comes by to tell sponge bob some news that he is getting fired. And get this, Mr. Krabs fires sponge bob because if he cuts sponge bob’s pay out completely, he will save a nickel...[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
*throws computer at the wall* THATS IT I AM DONE!!![SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
Or not... Mr. Krabs can I speak with you for a second, how is it a good business choice for you to fire your only employee that can cook for a nickel, even though you have made the exact same mistake in a plethora of other episodes? I Mean Come ON!! [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
After that there are some painfully unfunny visual gags. Ha ha, you said "I'm giving you the can" and you gave him a can! *no one laughs* Gee I wonder why?[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
Then Sponge bob cries for a whole minuet, (no surprise there) and he finally leaves. But squid ward raises a good question. Who is going to cook the food? This is a good question because NONE OF THEM CAN COOK! Mr. krabs then says that he was a five time voted chef in the navy, no Mr. Krabs you were a terrible cook on the S.S. diarrhea, also if Mr. krabs is such a "good" cook then WHY DID HE HIRE SPONGEBOB IN THE FIRST PLACE![SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
After that Sponge Bob goes home and feeds Gary, this is the beginning of a subplot that will go nowhere, and then Patrick shows up at sponge bob’s house to cheer him up. This entire segment of the episode not only includes a very insensitive "joke" about unemployment but it also manages to bore the audience out of its mind! [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
Sponge bob goes to Sandy’s house where the writers of the episode manage to make sandy very unlikable by making her serve radioactive waste to strangers, wow, just wow. [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
This bit of the episode ends with sponge bob going out to find a new job, but not without completely distorting his catchphrase first! [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
Sponge bob finds himself a job at weenie hut Jr’s (which is not an ice-cream parlor in this episode for some reason?) and he gets fired from there because he was accidentally making krabbie patty versions of the food, wait wasn’t this conflict used in “le big switch”? Sponge bob does the same thing at his other new jobs and he gets fired from there as well. All of these scenes are very rushed almost as if the writers just wanted to get them over with. [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]
Sponge bob then goes home to feed Gary but it seems that they are out of snail food, so sponge bob cooks some; Gary then says that it was the best sail food that he ever tasted. So is sponge bob going to sell his snail food to become a corporate mastermind and outsell his former boss? NOPE! That plotline is forgotten about completely! [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]

Instead Sponge bob’s former boss at weenie hut Jr’s KIDNAPPS HIM and forces him to cook those krabbie sliders that his customers loved (you mean the ones that you threw on the floor earlier?) However the pizza guy comes to the rescue but he stopped by the taco guy and the noodle guy. The four restaurant owners have a fight over sponge bob even though some of sponge bob’s food creations were established a failure. The four stop fighting when a krabbie patty super hero called the killer patty comes by and fights off the noodle guy the pizza guy and the taco guy, the hot dog guy gets hit by a bus. [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]

The killer patty takes sponge bob back to the krusty krab which is in a state of disaster (no surprise there!) and it turns out that it was squid ward dressed up as the killer patty, who knew that he could fight like that? Oh wait, HE CAN’T![SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]

So the episode wraps up with Sponge bob getting hired back which was an ending that the audience saw coming from a mile away. [SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]

Well what can I say, this episode was awful, it ripped off plots from other episodes, its subplots go nowhere, the conflicts are stupid, and it manages to make likable characters seem like heartless idiots in just a few seconds[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]

Final score: 1.5/10 (and I am being nice right now)[SIZE=16pt][/SIZE]

ScumBob

sicko m0de
Wasn't really worth waiting almost a whole year for. Literally, nothing happens. SpongeBob gets fired, plays with Sandy and Patrick, looks for a new job, gets fired from every one of them and gets rehired at the Krusty Krab again. That's it.
Honestly, this was kind of a ratings trap because SpongeBob has been fired many times before, we already knew from the start he was gonna be rehired. Boring and just bad.

4/10

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
SpongeCob said:
Wasn't really worth waiting almost a whole year for. Literally, nothing happens. SpongeBob gets fired, plays with Sandy and Patrick, looks for a new job, gets fired from every one of them and gets rehired at the Krusty Krab again. That's it.
Honestly, this was kind of a ratings trap because SpongeBob has been fired many times before, we already knew from the start he was gonna be rehired. Boring and just bad.

4/10
It's probably an episode that people at Nick wanted to promote the show and usually those don't really turn out so good.

Gary Look Doubloons!

Magister Slayer
Now, my review will be short and sweet. There aren't any perfect episodes of Spongebob (except the idiot box in my opinion) but this is kind of going off the deep end. Not a great episode... 6.4/10

iyamtheman72 said:
It's probably an episode that people at Nick wanted to promote the show and usually those don't really turn out so good.
I agree all the way!

Back