189. SpongeBob, You're Fired!

Bmv277

SoBob RetroPants
3/10, this might be a long one
this had A LOT of potential for a cool episode
at some point it just felt like a “spongebob depressed” compilation then a “spongebob with a new job” compilation
the story is so empty to me, everything feels so… small
there are barely any new locations besides 4 restaurants literally cramped next to each other and despite that it only takes up the last few parts of the episode, everything else is basically on conch street, wheres the depth??
i kinda wish spongebob being fired had more of a reason instead of an (admittedly kinda funny) gag, it just leads to spongebob crying for an unnecessary amount of time
i do like depressed spongebobs design, it gave me a chuckle but the scenes with patrick being delighted about sb being fired just kinda rubs me the wrong way
id prefer if patrick phrased it as in “hey well im unemployed, we can have fun with it together!” instead of “YO BEING UNEMPLOYED IS SO COOL!!!!!!!!!” yfeel me?
the sandy scene is just so much nothing too ugh the amount it adds to the conflict is the same amount of style a small blue crayon mark adds on a white wall
all it did was make sb get knocked out of his depressive state (way too easily btw)
oh well, at least sandy shows some respect for sbs situation, that makes me a lil happy
i think the compilation of sb going to random restaurants is really unnecessary
in fact, yknow what wouldve been way better?
an episode where spongebob goes through an internal crisis where he starts having a lot of fun with a different job (maybe different from a restaurant as well) and is split on if he should move on completely or hope that mr krabs reconsiders, maybe these mixed feelings start effecting his work on the new job, leading to some kind of chaos that makes him get fired, then at the same time the krusty krab is going into havoc without spongebob so squid and krabs go get him back and reunite in the end
i know this isnt a very amazing plot, but with the premise, itd be WAY better than what we got to me
instead what we got was a half baked unfitting yet boring romp with the most missed potential ive seen so far in this series
it has some okay parts i suppose, but come on, a few good gags dont fix a mediocre at the LEAST episode
episodes with missed potential are worse than episodes that just are bad through and through to me

dont even get me started on the fact they forgot all of spongebobs hobbies (SANDY WAS RIGHT THERE THEY COULDVE DONE KARATE AAGAGHHH)

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
NO JUST NO
  1. Plankton's Pet (10/10)
  2. Patrick-Man! (9.5/10)
  3. Safe Deposit Krabs (9.5/10)
  4. Evil Spatula (9/10)
  5. Don't Look Now (9/10)
  6. Seance Schmance (8.5/10)
  7. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8.5/10)
  8. Bumper To Bumper (8.5/10)
  9. Eek, An Urchin! (7/10)
  10. License To Milkshake (6.5/10)
  11. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)
  12. Jailbreak! (6.5/10)
  13. Gary's New Toy (6.5/10)
  14. Squirrel Record (6/10)
  15. Yeti Krabs (3.5/10)
  16. Squid Defense (3/10)
  17. Kenny The Cat (1/10)
  18. Little Yellow Book (0.5/10)
  19. Squid Baby (0/10)
  20. SpongeBob You're Fired! (-99999999/10)

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
Aye, why not review this one?

This episode has been burned into my memory ever since I basically watched it on repeat as a kid because I really liked it. Not just a little bit, I mean a lot. As a 9-year-old, I thought this episode was true cinema. I clearly hadn't seen enough Season 2 SpongeBob (keep in mind I was kinda young around Season 9...). But as I mentioned in my "Squid Baby" review, I liked that one too. I hate Squid Baby now. Clearly, I've had a change of thought.

But continuing on. First I'll bring up something I've always thought about: I don't think this episode was good enough to deserve an entire DVD. Looking at the episode list, there are plenty of amazing episodes on that DVD as well, for example, "Welcome to the Chum Bucket", "Help Wanted", "Pizza Delivery", "Krusty Krab Training Video", "Employee of the Month", and "Wet Painters". Personally, I feel like "Employee of the Month" or "Help Wanted" would have made a great title for them to focus the DVD around. But no, they had to pick "SpongeBob, You're Fired". And I'm not here just to hate on this episode, I'm here to review, so I'll get on with it.

this had A LOT of potential for a cool episode
I agree with this too, this episode could have been good.s

I'm going to skip the intro discussion, I don't have anything to say about the title card, like most title cards.

But as the episode starts, we're introduced to the main problem: the nickel. Of course, we've seen similar Krabs behavior before, like in "Born Again Krabs", which I also find to be an "alright" episode. I gotta admit it's a funny problem and sort of in character for Krabs. But, unlike Born Again Krabs: he doesn't even regret it until he realizes his restaurant is going downhill. Like no :dolphinnoise:, he's your best fry cook, you've even said it yourself! Actually, this brings up the reason I like episodes like "Welcome to the Chum Bucket", where Mr. Krabs is actually seen to care about and miss SpongeBob. But no, throw that all away, and bring out this.

But then, we queue SpongeBob's crying for like 10 minutes straight. Oh god, I thought the "Funny Pants" laughter was bad. Well, it was, but now we have to deal with it again. Crying more than me on Sunday after realizing I had to return to school, I got so sad when I heard that. But aside, it's just all crying. Nothing more.

Next, we see our "funemployment", just basically a depressing, dead husk of SpongeBob. Does this episode completely ignore SpongeBob's hobbies? The answer is yes. Of course, I understand what they were getting at (possibly??): Things don't feel the same when something bad happens to you. But knowing SpongeBob in earlier Seasons, he isn't like me and would come up with some crazy solution. But no, now he's "funemployed", like Patrick calls it. How does Patrick get any money anyway? Does he steal it? Does he get it from either pair of his parents? They probably covered this and I just forgot.

But then, SpongeBob tries to get a new job. I kinda liked this part, seeing the different restaurants was nice, seeing somewhere other than the Krusty Krab or The Chum Bucket. Watching this part was probably the best part of the episode.

The episode gets legitimately interesting about 17 minutes in, which…yeah, not good. But anyway, I love the way all these restaurant people keep fighting over SpongeBob, because he’s such a good cook
I thoroughly believe this is the best part in this special. It's actually an interesting and funny part.

But the ending... kidnapper Squidward basically is just like "hey, come back," because Mr Krabs was gonna go bankrupt. Which baffles me, I thought Mr Krabs was a multi-millionaire. I mean, it'd make sense, seeing how the Krusty Krab seems to be the most popular restaurant in Bikini Bottom, they make this very clear throughout the show. So he's suddenly gonna go broke? Another plot hole: I thought Mr Krabs would have been good at making patties considering it's revealed in Friend or Foe that him and Plankton were the original creators of the Plab Patty, and Mr Krabs made the first ever Krabby Patty. I could get into Krusty Krab lore forever, but that's aside from this episode.

So for a final rating, this episode left much to be desired, it was a lackluster special, for sure.

3/10 Pretty bad.

SpongebobMaster

I don't think this episode was good enough to deserve an entire DVD. Looking at the episode list, there are plenty of amazing episodes on that DVD as well, for example, "Welcome to the Chum Bucket", "Help Wanted", "Pizza Delivery", "Krusty Krab Training Video", "Employee of the Month", and "Wet Painters". Personally, I feel like "Employee of the Month" or "Help Wanted" would have made a great title for them to focus the DVD around. But no, they had to pick "SpongeBob, You're Fired".
Yeah like why didn't. it came from goo lagoon get a dvd when this slop gets one instead?! oh well atleast the dvd in this one has really good episodes

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
Yeah like why didn't. it came from goo lagoon get a dvd when this slop gets one instead?! oh well atleast the dvd in this one has really good episodes
That's exactly what I'm saying. Truly it's a pretty good DVD with plenty of classic episodes and even some pretty good "modern" episodes (modern in quotes because SpongeBob You're Fired came out in 2013, over 10 years ago), but the DVD was advertised with "SpongeBob You're Fired!". I rest my case, "Help Wanted" or "Employee of the Month" would have made a much better title.

SpongebobMaster

That's exactly what I'm saying. Truly it's a pretty good DVD with plenty of classic episodes and even some pretty good "modern" episodes (modern in quotes because SpongeBob You're Fired came out in 2013, over 10 years ago), but the DVD was advertised with "SpongeBob You're Fired!". I rest my case, "Help Wanted" or "Employee of the Month" would have made a much better title.
well it came from goo Lagoon does have a DVD this website just doesn't show it when you go to the episodes the dvd has:scaredsquid:

Back