188a. Kenny the Cat

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I finally got to see this episode and it wasn't bad. Pretty alright for the most part and got some mild laughs out of me. The story was pretty standard and I really didn't see anything heinous about it.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Ehhhh..... Let me just say that I think I need to watch it again to get my full full thoughts. I just thought this episode was a bit bland. Not terrible though and there were some moments here and there that I liked. Kenny The Cat himself was a nice character.

Also, may someone please explain how he works? As in, how does the whole air tank work? I was very confused at that. So, the air tank gives him air and then...... what? I don't get it!!!

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
It looks like I'm in the minority with this but I liked the episode. It definitely wasn't amazing by any means, but for how ridiculous of a plot it was, it was handled pretty alright.

Da Good
-First off, the art took a massive upturn in this episode, in no small part thanks to Erik Wiese drawing storyboards again. The show feels like it's finally taking advantage of the HD and every joke just seems to be communicated so much better now.
-"If you keep holding your breath like that, you'll eventually lose consciousness. Tentacles crossed!"
-"What in clams' name is a 'the cat'?"
-Kenny himself was a pretty cool character/"so stupid it's funny" concept even if he was a fraud. I liked his design. Biz Markie's voice on him was pretty cool, although slightly wasted for how little screentime he actually got. His walk and random "a-ok" handsign thing was amusing to me for some reason.
-Patrick's joke about forgetting to eat was pretty funny. "There you are, Pocket Taco."
-SpongeBob's Kenny tramp stamp was amusing.
-"Swoon, swoon..."
-I should really talk about this to someone or I might get-
*dramatic zoom-in*
...DEPRESSED"
-Seriously cannot express how much better the art was in this episode. Everything looked and felt so much more Season 4-ish as opposed to Season 7-8-ish. Even Sandy was drawn well and expressive in her suit for the first time in what feels like forever.

Da Bad
-As previously stated earlier in this thread, the plotholes were kinda annoying. How did Kenny know SpongeBob's name?
-"Mr. Krabs Makes A Profit Off Of The Episode's Main Attraction" Count: 27
-Another stupid ending. "Never trust a cat. Or is it a dog?" The show seems to have just totally forgotten how to end an episode well.
-Sandy, while justified in being a jerk at the end, still felt kinda jerky. It didn't even necessarily come out of left field, because she expressed her dislike/distrust of Kenny earlier in the episode, but... I don't know. Just didn't like that scene.

But aside from those complaints the episode worked for me. I can see why it wouldn't work for others, but for whatever reason it was good to me, had a lot of good lines and amazing art. I liked it, probably Cervalexander Lemons' best effort of the Season so far.

8/10.

sucks that after this we're probably getting yeti krabs though

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
Jibbix said:
-Another stupid ending. "Never trust a cat. Or is it a dog?" The show seems to have just totally forgotten how to end an episode well.
I think Sandy was talking about a proverb at the end, about not trusting a dog. It may seem easily interpreted as Sandy mistaking Kenny as a dog, which would be too stupid for her, but that's at least what I got out of it.

Well, here's MY thoughts on the episode. I basically agree with Nards. It wasn't really funny at all, but the story was beyond interesting enough to keep me into it. This episode isn't worth hating nor is it worth praising. I liked it though. I like that Sandy actually played a bigger role than Patrick and Mr. Krabs for once. I honestly want more. I was also surprised that Patrick wasn't mind-numbingly dumb in this episode. He seemed smart enough to know how far SpongeBob got in his obsession with Kenny.

Kenny seemed like a nice enough character. He was no jerk nor was he stingy, arrogant or snooty. He was humble and relaxed, and Biz Markie did a great voice. Sandy didn't come off too jerky in this episode. She was stating Kenny's fraud. She's been a LOT more jerky in past episodes.

Final vote: 7.5/10

Just needed some more jokes, but the story was interesting. It's kinda worth watching a few more times.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Smaher said:
What's wrong with that?
Watched it in Greek and even though I didn't understand a word of it, I could tell it was boring and basically a retread of Hooky (aka the plot where Mr. Krabs tells a story the main characters ignore and there are consequnces ooh). Doesn't look like a very interesting episode. I might be wrong but I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Jibbix said:
It looks like I'm in the minority with this but I liked the episode. It definitely wasn't amazing by any means, but for how ridiculous of a plot it was, it was handled pretty alright.

Da Good
-First off, the art took a massive upturn in this episode, in no small part thanks to Erik Wiese drawing storyboards again. The show feels like it's finally taking advantage of the HD and every joke just seems to be communicated so much better now.
-"If you keep holding your breath like that, you'll eventually lose consciousness. Tentacles crossed!"
-"What in clams' name is a 'the cat'?"
-Kenny himself was a pretty cool character/"so stupid it's funny" concept even if he was a fraud. I liked his design. Biz Markie's voice on him was pretty cool, although slightly wasted for how little screentime he actually got. His walk and random "a-ok" handsign thing was amusing to me for some reason.
-Patrick's joke about forgetting to eat was pretty funny. "There you are, Pocket Taco."
-SpongeBob's Kenny tramp stamp was amusing.
-"Swoon, swoon..."
-I should really talk about this to someone or I might get-
*dramatic zoom-in*
...DEPRESSED"
-Seriously cannot express how much better the art was in this episode. Everything looked and felt so much more Season 4-ish as opposed to Season 7-8-ish. Even Sandy was drawn well and expressive in her suit for the first time in what feels like forever.

Da Bad
-As previously stated earlier in this thread, the plotholes were kinda annoying. How did Kenny know SpongeBob's name?
-"Mr. Krabs Makes A Profit Off Of The Episode's Main Attraction" Count: 27
-Sandy, while justified in being a jerk at the end, still felt kinda jerky. It didn't even necessarily come out of left field, because she expressed her dislike/distrust of Kenny earlier in the episode, but... I don't know. Just didn't like that scene.

But aside from those complaints the episode worked for me. I can see why it wouldn't work for others, but for whatever reason it was good to me, had a lot of good lines and amazing art. I liked it, probably Cervalexander Lemons' best effort of the Season so far.

8/10.

sucks that after this we're probably getting yeti krabs though
I haven't managed to see the whole thing in English yet, but from what I did manage to see (and the Greek version) I feel like I'm going to agree with you. The major thing that grabbed my attention in this episode was the look of the characters, their expressions, their poses ... I enjoyed that aspect so much that weaknesses elsewhere weren't such a big deal. It's a huge shame that Erik Wiese didn't stay but maybe he will return again in the future.

I thought the ending was OK. "Just get outta here already." :P

Also, "cats and squirrels are basically the same thing"? That's kind of mammalist, SpongeBob, just saying.

Mantis

killer queen best stand
I liked this episode, and both Zeus and Casey get 1 good point for this episode.

Cosmic-Loop

♥♫ The Luigi Queen ♫♥
Far away from California and/or Florida :,(
Okay, i'm on a computer, nobody's watching me slack, so let's go!

I actually liked this episode. Compared to other after-movie eps i've seen (excluding seas. 4), i think this one stands out quite a bit. The motion, expresions, colors, jokes, roles, (maybe even setting?) etc. were all verry different and refreshing. Sandy so surprised her head jumps upside-down? I found that to be a bit surprising (haha pun) since usually the "guy mains" get the wacky expressions. Also the expressions in that treedome-storyboard gif are just so cute to me for both of em gahh.

Also; Patt, Squid, and (somewhat) Krabs are minors? And SpongeBob and Sandy are the mains?! Holy crap, that's a switch. Usually Patt, Squid, and/or Krabs are mains along with SB, since a LOT of the episodes take place in the Krusty Krab at some point. And if Sandy is ever a main with SB, Patt is usually there to tag along (*derp voice* cuz he's SpongeBob's BEST FRIEND EVER so they MUST be together!!! [/sarcasm] But thats not how the world works see--) By the end, i was honestly like "Wait, Patrick wasn't on the whole episode!" before remembering he WAS there, and then i switched to Squid. And remembered like 5 whole minutes later he was there TOO. (I honestly think Krabs was sorta between minor and main roles, but whatever.) And where did this episode take place 50% of the time? The Krusty Krab! See? It really IS possible to not focus on characters for too long despite setting[, Nick]! I really liked this switch. A SB/Sandy duo plot that isn't at the treedome 90% of the episode.

Also, that one scene where SB discovers Kenny still has that air tank, in the bathroom? OH MY GOD. Was anyone else reminded of a cheesy "i just discovered you're cheating on me" kinda scene? I admit; i actually laughed during this episode. At this scene too, in fact. From the heart breaking to SB running out and Kenny's all "nooo, you don't understand!" Just... xD

And oh my gosh. That one scene after. "I should really see someone about this or I might get.... DEPRESSED." If i had a dring i would've sprayed it everywhere at this point omg. There were a few major things with this quote that i just-- First, i actually have depression, so when he said this i was (actually not offended, but) really surprised. Second; SB is such an optimistic character, hearing him say he'd get depressed is like "lol wait wut" Third; THAT EXPRESSION OMG, WILL REMEMBER 5EVUR

Also, in contrast to most peeps, I actually laughed at Sandy's taunting Kenny near the end. Oh, the wonders of oxygen (or no oxygen!) :P

But this episode really is about every big fandom ever. Also the begining; listing all the Kenny merch? Any similarities with our SpongeBob merch...? There's been so many promotions for the show lately, I wouldnt be surprised if SB really did get his own football field... xD
(Also, there used to be Sailor Moon everything. Look merch up, lol. There's also Hello Kitty everything; you can't deny, even if you're not in her fandom. We have a HK toaster for cryin--)

I really could just go on & on about this epi.... I won't nesecarilly say "it's the best episode eveeeeerr", but imo it's really not deserving of any hate.

I really do feel like this episode is just a big inside joke, that could go for multiple things. xD

Due to my indecisiveness, i can't really give a number grade... but i probably would give it an 8/10.

Also, there was Kenny the Cat everything, but no videogames mentioned? lol *makes Kenny the Cat videogame because joke* but what if i really did

Cha

I love SBM
I'm thinking that Kenny knew SpongeBob's name because he heard it from Mr. Krabs.

What an excellent idea SpongeBob. A clean cat is a money making cat I always say. Please amend yourself to the lounge facilities.
Yeah he definitely heard it from Krabs.

Sweat

Banished
I actually found it really good. The art style was awesome, and the character himself was really amusing. I like the way Biz Markie pulled the character off. While that's all good, I wasn't very impressed with the amount of jokes they put in [even though the tramp stamp was funny.] Either way, the episode is on the very good side of average.

7/10

Cha

I love SBM
I don't understand the people who think Sandy was too harsh, all she wanted to do is to find out the truth scientifically and morally. We get people like SpongeBob who is too in love with Kenny to tell that he's a liar. She didn't seem jerky to me tbh.

derp

More

VIP
I made a review on it in my best list topic (Not that it is absolutely great, though)

SpongeBox

Floating Shopping List
A pretty good episode overall. I don't like Kenny's design that much though. Not that I hate him though.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
Halibut said:
I actually found it really good. The art style was awesome, and the character himself was really amusing. I like the way Biz Markie pulled the character off. While that's all good, I wasn't very impressed with the amount of jokes they put in [even though the tramp stamp was funny.] Either way, the episode is on the very good side of average.

7/10
This is the exact same review I would have given it. I agree.

Back