185. It Came From Goo Lagoon

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
I saw this episode again yesterday, and I think it's great, but could've been better. It would've been cool if Plankton just used it for world destruction or something instead of the usual recipe plot. I'm also glad we got a lot of Goo Lagoon.

Probably this season's best 22-minute special. I liked the action, I liked the jokes, I liked pretty much everything. I'd recommend it if you have some spare time.

Ranking so far:
1. License to Milkshake (A)
2. Evil Spatula (A)
3. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
4. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
5. Bumper to Bumper (B)
6. Jailbreak! (B)
7. Patrick-Man! (B)
8. Extreme Spots (B)
9. Gary's New Toy (B)
10. Squirrel Record (C)
11. Squid Defense (D)
12. Squid Baby (E)
13. Little Yellow Book (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Really liked this one. It was a nice mix of action and comedy, and this was one of the funnier episodes of the season so far. I liked how they foreshadowed using bubbles to clean up the goo early on with Spongebob cleaning the goo off of Patrick aswell, that was a nice little detail. If there's one thing that post movie Spongebob does really well, it's specials, and this is definitely no exception. By far my favorite episode I've seen so far.

Good episode (8/10)

1. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
2. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
3. Jailbreak (7)
4. License to Milkshake (6)
5. Extreme Spots (6)
6. Squid Defense (6)
7. Gary's New Toy (6)
8. Bumper to Bumper (6)
9. Squirrel Record (5)
10. Evil Spatula (5)
11. Patrick-Man! (5)
12. Squid Baby (3)
13. Little Yellow Book (2)

(Yes, I moved License to Milkshake and Extreme Spots down to a 6, and that's because I gave them too much credit. They really aren't that good.)

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff
(Copied from my 113 Reasons Why thread)

0/10

This episode is just so poorly made. Other than the animation, everything else about this episode just fails to be good. Plankton is a very unlikeable villain, which I really don't like. In earlier seasons, Plankton has a genuinely funny antagonist to the show, but from Season 5 forward, he became very mean-spirited. The fact that he cheated Krabs and still popped the bubble really shows how insulting his personality is in this episode. This episode didn't have to be a Plankton vs. Krabs episode at all, but the writers just couldn't think of anything better to do. Other than that, the jokes are terrible and the writing is very bland. There are little memorable moments in the episode (other than that horrendous ending). Oh wait, since I brought up the ending, I might as well mention it now. The episode should've ended with Plankton and the goo bubble stuck on the moon, but Plankton goes back down and ends up popping the bubble with no reason other than to be malicious. When I watched this episode when it was released, I literally cried because of how god-awful the ending was. The episode tries to redeem itself, but in the end it just couldn't.

Overall, I feel like this episode is just all of the worst qualities SpongeBob episodes have all smashed together into one terrible "special." Unlikeable characters, unfunny jokes, a bland and predictable plot, and a horrible ending all are present in this episode. Fortunately, I feel like this episode does feel like the proper way to end the dark age of SpongeBob- create an episode with everything that makes it bad. Surprisingly, Season 9B (which is after that) is my most favorite season of the entire series! While this episode was terrible, it does have a few decent moments as well, such as, like, two or three actually decent jokes. But it only gets better from here, as some of the next few episodes are the best in SpongeBob history.

So, while this episode may be terrible in my opinion, I can still understand why some of you enjoy it. But no matter how you like this episode, you should agree that Season 9B is a huge improvement from Seasons 6 to 9A.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
(Copied from my 113 Reasons Why thread)

0/10

This episode is just so poorly made. Other than the animation, everything else about this episode just fails to be good. Plankton is a very unlikeable villain, which I really don't like. In earlier seasons, Plankton has a genuinely funny antagonist to the show, but from Season 5 forward, he became very mean-spirited. The fact that he cheated Krabs and still popped the bubble really shows how insulting his personality is in this episode. This episode didn't have to be a Plankton vs. Krabs episode at all, but the writers just couldn't think of anything better to do. Other than that, the jokes are terrible and the writing is very bland. There are little memorable moments in the episode (other than that horrendous ending). Oh wait, since I brought up the ending, I might as well mention it now. The episode should've ended with Plankton and the goo bubble stuck on the moon, but Plankton goes back down and ends up popping the bubble with no reason other than to be malicious. When I watched this episode when it was released, I literally cried because of how god-awful the ending was. The episode tries to redeem itself, but in the end it just couldn't.

Overall, I feel like this episode is just all of the worst qualities SpongeBob episodes have all smashed together into one terrible "special." Unlikeable characters, unfunny jokes, a bland and predictable plot, and a horrible ending all are present in this episode. Fortunately, I feel like this episode does feel like the proper way to end the dark age of SpongeBob- create an episode with everything that makes it bad. Surprisingly, Season 9B (which is after that) is my most favorite season of the entire series! While this episode was terrible, it does have a few decent moments as well, such as, like, two or three actually decent jokes. But it only gets better from here, as some of the next few episodes are the best in SpongeBob history.

So, while this episode may be terrible in my opinion, I can still understand why some of you enjoy it. But no matter how you like this episode, you should agree that Season 9B is a huge improvement from Seasons 6 to 9A.
Per Matt i hated this episode it was just bland and unfunny and i hated the "Insignificant Things My Wife Told Me" book joke

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
License to Milkshake (Perfect)
Patrick-Man! (Amazing)
Eek, An Urchin! (Awesome)
Squirrel Record (Great)
Extreme Spots (Good)
Evil Spatula (Good)
Squid Baby (Okay)
Jailbreak! (Okay)
Squid Defense (Mediocre)
Bumper to Bumper (Meh)
Gary's New Toy (Bad)
It Came From Goo Lagoon (Bad)
Little Yellow Book (Inferior)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Is this possibly the most boring special of the entire show? It’s for sure the most forgettable, other than “Party Pooper Pants”, though that episode I kind of push out of my mind so it’s arguably more memorable. I also remember this episode premiering, and then a subsequent lack of recognition of it. So maybe that says everything you need to know.

The first disappointing thing about this episode is that it’s horror-themed and it does this theme…not well. Like lean more into the horror, man! That’s what we’ve been waiting for! Or at least, that’s what I’ve been waiting for, idk about y’all. Horror-themed episodes are some of my favorite kinds, as I’m sure everyone here knows by now. And the name and title card of this episode literally make it sound like we’re about to get a really fun horror homage. But that’s not what comes.

Let’s do my normal chronological look into this episode. So we start out with SpongeBob and Patrick enjoying some fun in the sun, which is neither a good thing or a bad thing. Well…it becomes a bad thing because this first minute or so isn’t that entertaining. I did like the call-back to “SpongeGuard On Duty” with SpongeBob and Patrick being unable to swim, though. It could’ve been funnier, though. But at least it means our plot gets kickstarted quite quickly as SpongeBob and Patrick come across the weird purple goo. They then play with it causing a lot of people to kinda almost drown lol. Okay, so I know I like always praise this show’s music choices, which makes this even more apparent to me, but Spongemonger was not the right choice for this scene, not at all. I don’t even think any of the “chase” music would work…maybe Slide Whistle Stooges? I just think something else woulda been better, that is all. So that kinda took me out of the scene.

Because this is a special, all sorts of characters join the fray. First there’s Plankton, because of course he’s here trying to sell his chum. Then we get Squidward, whose peaceful day is foiled. And then there’s the biggest surprise to me, which is Sandy. I mean, I’m definitely glad she’s here, I’m just shocked because usually she gets introduced last…or not at all. Anyway, when Sandy comes into the picture, the episode grows rather predictable from her warning to everyone to stay away from the bubbles, to Plankton’s interest in that danger. You can just tell that no one will listen to Sandy, and Plankton will use his newfound knowledge to do something nefarious. So since the plot of the episode is so clear, the best thing I can do is hope that the humor will be good and the plot will be done in an enjoyable fashion. And I mean, Sandy’s frustration at Bikini Bottomites is pretty funny, because they’re all so stupid.

We then get a montage of the goo being distributed to Bikini Bottom citizens, and it’s…reasonably entertaining. Nothing crazy good, but at least not boring. And the scene between Plankton and Karen is pretty funny and entertaining too. The episode keeps returning to Sandy being the person to warn everyone, and nobody listening, and while this is…incredibly realistic, it plays out so boringly and it’s not that funny to me. More frustrating, honestly. Because all these people are idiots. And this part of the plot is kinda dropped unceremoniously when Sandy goes to run tests on the giant ball of goo. So that was kinda weird.

The ball then starts floating off…somehow lol, and Patrick gets stuck on it. Again, my main problem with all of this is that the plot is meh and nothing is really funny, so the issues in the writing are very apparent. Finally, we get a joke that makes me laugh with Sandy having missiles in her submarine, for when she gets “stuck in traffic”. Let’s do more of these good jokes please. I also thought it was funny how completely over it SpongeBob, Sandy, and Patrick where when Plankton was gloating.

I also like how the episode decides to become a kaiju parody lol. Except it’s not done very entertainingly, and ends up not affecting the plot in any type of way. So I guess I like the fact that they thought to do it, but not them actually doing it. In fact, I don’t really care for much between the beginning of this and when Plankton gets blown up by the fake formula. And of course, Mr. Krabs turns a quick profit on this catastrophic situation. A true capitalist to the end.

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score:
5.8/10

drmope18

Imitation Krab
Good episode, 5/5. I watched the first disc of my season 9 DVD!

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
I liked it tho it was one of the better season 9a episodes very good tho! I liked the parody style a lot! the ending kind of sucked tho
8.5/10

Back