182a. Little Yellow Book

léo elbarto

Bomb-Selling Pirate
the whole episode was OK and some jokes were really good, especially with oficier nancy brother. I was affraid that this would end up in a squidward abuse episode, but not really, overall it wasn't something that good, yet seeing squidward acting out of characters was interresting. Also, does that mean that in spongebob world, bublles are like cigarettes?! Think about it.
7,5/10

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
léo elbarto said:
the whole episode was OK and some jokes were really good, especially with oficier nancy brother. I was affraid that this would end up in a squidward abuse episode, but not really, overall it wasn't something that good, yet seeing squidward acting out of characters was interresting. Also, does that mean that in spongebob world, bublles are like cigarettes?! Think about it.
7,5/10
For SpongeBob, probably. It happened in WhoBob WhatPants as well, where he asked those guys if they minded him blowing bubbles to steady his nerves.

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
What do you guys mean by Squidward being OOC? It didn't seem like it to me...

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
TheBandGeek said:
Yeah, I don't really see it either. Maybe it's because he wasn't sorry at the end? Though I still don't really see that as OOC.

Cha

I love SBM
TheBandGeek said:
Maybe because he didn't apolgize in the ending, he just read SpongeBob's other diary when he got the chance.

JCM

#cancelspongebob
Little Yellow Book started out with so much potential and ended in the most unsatisfying way possible. This is an example of a episode with a great idea but sucky execution. A couple of members made parallels to Fools in April, and though FIA wasn't one of the show's best episodes, it did the whole people-turning-against-Squidward concept a lot better. Here's where I had the biggest issues in that respect: (Warning: spoilers)
  • Almost everybody chastising Squidward were just as guilty as he was. The fish in the restaurant were laughing and playing along as he read from SpongeBob's diary, and as soon as SpongeBob left the restaurant crying, they decided that invading people's privacy was wrong and just ganged up on Squidward out of nowhere. Squidward actually points out this hypocrisy when he tells Patrick that he read SpongeBob diary, too, but that doesn't even come close to making it better.
  • Squidward himself shows no remorse about anything he does, even as the town starts to treat him like a leper. It's only when his house is repossessed and he's left on the side of the street in a medieval torture device that he starts to think "Hey, maybe I should start being less of a jerk." Of course, he throws that out the window the second he hears the words "personal diary". He's even more unlikeable than usual in this episode.
  • SpongeBob pretty much forgives Squidward five seconds after the whole diary incident, and he gets his private journal PUBLISHED because "people seemed to be liking it so much". There's a fine line between naïveté and just being a complete freaking moron. Despite this, he probably deserves more sympathy than any of the other characters in this episode, since everyone else was a d-bag.
  • There wasn't enough Patrick. (jk jk :p)
Overall, I'd give this episode a 5/10, and that's just being nice. There were a couple of jokes I laughed at, but that doesn't make up or just all the wasted promise. It's a shame, too. I was looking forward to this ep, as were many of us. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next Season Niner and hope it isn't nearly as disappointing.

TheBandGeek said:
My only problem with the Brookshier/Ceccarelli team is that a lot of times their portrayal of Squidward is a bit overdone. In their episodes a lot of times they present him as hating Spongebob, the Krusty Krab, et cetera, more than he should. They lay it on a bit too thick. It's less out of character more than it is flanderized.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
OneHungryHippo said:
My only problem with the Brookshier/Ceccarelli team is that a lot of times their portrayal of Squidward is a bit overdone. In their episodes a lot of times they present him as hating Spongebob, the Krusty Krab, et cetera, more than he should. They lay it on a bit too thick. It's less out of character more than it is flanderized.
Yeah. Brookshier and Ceccarelli are great writers....When Squidward's not involved. The laziness and hatred of the Krusty Krab are traits they exaggerate, but those are fine. But then they exaggerate the hatred of SpongeBob to an irritating level. Are You Happy Now and this make me see that while they're great at everything else, they don't have a great handle on Squidward's character. He doesn't totally hate SpongeBob, he likes him deep down. Even Hello Bikini Bottom brings this up, and that was a recent episode.

And even if the SpongeBob thing wasn't an issue, Squidward was much meaner than usual in this episode. Reading SpongeBob's diary? Fine, I'd expect that from him. Reading it to the whole Krusty Krab? Less reasonable, but okay. Refusing to apologize? That's beginning to tread the line into OOC territory, too jerky, even for Squidward. Then, going through that montage, getting trapped on a headlock doo-hickey and then deciding to steal SpongeBob's real diary after he tries to defend you?

I don't know what that is, but it's not Squidward.

OldFanNewSkeptic

Moby Dollar
Lol at everyone getting upset when Squidward is being a jerk. I thought you guys would enjoy the person who gets abused in almost every episode playing the role of the abuser.

This is, without a doubt, a fantastic season 9 episode.

Pros:
The opening scene with Old Man Jenkins
Patrick appearing in the dumpster
Mr. Krabs hairpiece
Episode was a reference to Fools In April
People are complaining that the punishment was odd, over the top, but that's why I think it works. It's so bizzare for someone who just reads someone's diary. It could only happen in Bikini Bottom
Spongebob becoming successful
Krusty Krab music
Officer Nancy : "I had a brother once"

Cons:

I don't really like the visual humor the show uses. It seems like a cop-out for dialogue humor.

This episodes gets an OFNS recommendation. 10/10

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
If Squidward apologized every time he made SpongeBob upset it would be less special the times that he does apologize. His is, first and foremost, the irritable, grouchy neighbor. The fact that he sometimes realizes he's gone too far and tries to make amends is nice when it does occasionally happen, but I don't think it's such a prominent character trait that it needs to happen consistently.

Take Grandma's Kisses. Squidward taunts SpongeBob in front of everybody at the Krusty Krab in that episode, causing him to run from the restaurant crying, but clearly doesn't feel any remorse because at the end of the episode he's part of the group still laughing at SpongeBob.

I'm not saying that I like when Squidward is a huge jerk. I love episodes like Fools in April and Christmas Who where he redeems himself. We haven't really had a decent "Squidward feels guilty" episode in a while. But I'm not sure why it's such a big sticking point that he didn't apologize in this episode in particular.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
I think the biggest problem with the episode is that they set it up so it looked like Squidward was going to apologize.....But then he didn't. And I think that's what got me the most. They subverted expectations in the worst way possible. And I think that's why Squidward seemed like a bigger jerk than usual. Because he didn't apologize when all signs pointed towards him doing that.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
It didn't sound so perfect when I first heard of the plot. I didn't like very much and I was expecting Squidward to a major jerk in it. I was right. Plus, this got to be the WORST episode from the people who wrote this. I am very disappointed in Luke Brookshier, Marc Cecarelli, and Derek Iversen, those guys are always writing better than average episodes. There were some good parts especially when the people threw tomato at Squidward for reading SpongeBob's diary. He deserved that for being a jerk. This felt like Fools in April, Squidward humiliating SpongeBob making him cry. However, he didn't feel sorry at the end. The episode just ended with Squidward laughing and laughing instead of scolding at the people. Worst ending ever. It is Whatever Happened to SpongeBob? all over again b./c of Squidward's harness toward SpongeBob. His harness here however was worse. I only had a few funny parts here and the funniest was Mr. Krabs' hair. This episode gets a 4/10. Wow, a not so good season 9 episode... :/

To reply OneHungryHippo You were right, Brookshier (as well as his two former partners) and Ceccarelli's episodes are usually better when Squidward isn't the main character in their episodes. Squidward in Brookshier's (w/ King/Cash/Cecarelli) episodes often get angry which is getting a habit for them (I thought that was Alexander/Cervas' habit of making Squidward like this) especially when they work on a Squidward episode. They're better when they write Plankton (Plankton's Good Eye, Plankton's Pet), just SpongeBob/Patrick as only main characters to appear (Extreme Spots), Sandy (Bubble Troubles, Squirrel Records), and other characters' own episodes expect Squidward (I might as well give Are You Happy Now? a lower score already b/c of this) . I don't want to see this score so low for them ever again and no working on a Squidward ep for awhile.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
fsaenz0125 said:
To reply OneHungryHippo You were right, Brookshier (as well as his two former partners) and Ceccarelli's episodes are usually better when Squidward isn't the main character in their episodes. Squidward in Brookshier's (w/ King/Cash/Cecarelli) episodes often get angry which is getting a habit for them (I thought that was Alexander/Cervas' habit of making Squidward like this) especially when they work on a Squidward episode. They're better when they write Plankton (Plankton's Good Eye, Plankton's Pet), just SpongeBob/Patrick as only main characters to appear (Extreme Spots), Sandy (Bubble Troubles, Squirrel Records), and other characters' own episodes expect Squidward (I might as well give Are You Happy Now? a lower score already b/c of this) . I don't want to see this score so low for them ever again and no working on a Squidward ep for awhile.
Actually, back when Brookshier was working with King, he had a much better handle on Squidward. Episodes like Squidtastic Voyage, Krusty Towers, Wishing You Well, and even Funny Pants have Squidward Abuse that's hilarious. It wasn't until he started working with Cash that things became different.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
Personally I enjoyed it. :) As DadMom pointed out, Squidward also made SpongeBob cry in "Grandma's Kisses" and didn't feel guilty, even going as far as to spy on SpongeBob in his grandma's house. But people don't seem to be complaining about that.

As for the storyline, I thought it was quite funny. :) Sure, Squidward's house being taken away was harsh, but I actually laughed when Squidward took SpongeBob's 2nd diary.

OldFanNewSkeptic

Moby Dollar
SBRoxMan said:
Personally I enjoyed it. :) As DadMom pointed out, Squidward also made SpongeBob cry in "Grandma's Kisses" and didn't feel guilty, even going as far as to spy on SpongeBob in his grandma's house. But people don't seem to be complaining about that.

As for the storyline, I thought it was quite funny. :) Sure, Squidward's house being taken away was harsh, but I actually laughed when Squidward took SpongeBob's 2nd diary.
I laughed when he didn't mind getting hit by all the tomatoes. ^_^

Squiddykins

take back the falls
This episode was pretty good. I liked it! It didn't exactly make my favorite episodes list this time, but I enjoyed it.

I thought Squidward was reading his actual diary instead of his work diary... until SpongeBob pointed it out. :P Squidward should've apologized for being a jerk to SpongeBob again as usual, but at least he said "please forgive me!" :)

Overall I give it an 8/10. :)

Planktonamorific

Hey man, that's not cool.
Squidward rocks in this episode and Spongebob sucks, end of story. B)
(Btw, don't ask why I'm on this.)

Back