181b. Squid Baby

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
I'm gonna do another live review of this episode when I get home, so in order burn it in my short-term memory for at least 30 minutes, at home I have to watch it 3 times

Doesn't that sound great?

(I could make this easier on myself by simply just taking notes on it)

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
I'm gonna do another live review of this episode when I get home, so in order burn it in my short-term memory for at least 30 minutes, at home I have to watch it 3 times

Doesn't that sound great?

(I could make this easier on myself by simply just taking notes on it)
oh boy this is going to be bad

Hugs4Softie

oh boy this is going to be bad
Why must I insist on reviewing episodes like Choir Boys and Squid Baby? Well, I took Pugs4Thugs advice about taking notes instead of watching it 3 times and burning it into my mind, watched the episode again, and now, can review it.

I remember actually LIKING this episode as a kid. Genuinely, I don't understand how I did. I like weird things, but this isn't funny-weird it's just deranged-weird, like something I'd see in a horribly weird nightmare that I can't forget. The fact someone took a super long (probably) to animate this disturbs me.

And I've been told by a reviewer once, "Everyone hates Squid Baby, can you be different for once and actually enjoy a hated episode?". My answer is I do enjoy some hated episodes like "Dumped" (today's review!!), "Krabby Land", and "Are You Happy Now?". Just not this one. Hey, listen, it's okay if you like this one, of course, I don't understand it, but that's perfectly fine. Seriously, I will not resort to opinion-bashing.

But anyway, for the review of this dumpster fire...

Most bad episodes always start off fine. Most of them don't seem like a trainwreck in the beginning. This episode follows that, we start off with Squidward trying to enjoy a relaxing day. Not unusual, just typical Squidward. And the typical SpongeBob and Patrick annoying him. They're looking through all their baby stuff. See, we could have still fixed this episode, but no, we had Squid Baby. I actually mentioned in my notes about this, it's like "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" but bad. Comparing this episode to "Rock-a-Bye Bivalve" should be considered a crime, personally, but I actually liked that episode. Because it was a baby clam, now it's an overgrown Squiward baby. Like that's actually Squidward...

Okay, next portion. Then Squidward comes out to tell SpongeBob and Patrick they're annoying, and then trips over on of their toys and hits his head, beginning the start of the baby Squidward. So they bring Squidward to the hospital, and Squidward is basically diagnosed with being a literal man-baby for the next week or so if I remember right (that wasn't in my notes). But basically, SpongeBob and Patrick have to care for this man-baby Squidward. They wrote this like I have to pretend he isn't literally a crabby old man character who just got turned into a baby. He can't hit his head anymore.

Next comes one of the parts I actually found pretty funny. Patrick just throws Squidward into the roof (which is what I wanted to do in the first place), which was really funny to me because I laugh at everything. This part made me laugh so hard. But why? I don't know. Okay, that's all for that scene. Then they try feeding this squirmy baby Squidward for him to spit all over them.

Man, then it's a lot of filler parts I never covered in my notes. I honestly forgot about what happens until Squidward's head gets crushed by the concrete (which was also funny, as you can tell, I really don't like man-baby Squidward). Until he starts crying...

He sounds like an actual demon. Man-baby Squidward crying will be the death of me. I think I actually muted this part, I couldn't listen to it anymore. It reminds me of the screeches from SpongeBob in "Choir Boys". Seriously, this part is when it all went downhill. And not slowly. More like, about as fast as I wanted this part to be over.

Then we had the Krusty Krab part. SpongeBob comes in there with man-baby Squidward and tapes him down at the register when Patrick falls asleep. Then baby Squidward tries eating one of the customers. Honestly, I understand Mr. Krab's and his anger towards SpongeBob. I'd be mad too.

Then, for another actually funny part. The quote "MY FACE! Also my leg but mostly, MY FACE!". Might have been a little redeemer for this awful part. But then all hell breaks loose when the next part comes up: Squidward :dolphinnoise: himself! Oh wow, just what I wanted to see: a man-baby in a diaper getting changed by SpongeBob. Now isn't that amazing?

Then Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob to change him back in the kitchen (nasty), and then SpongeBob falls all over and man-baby gets covered in ice on his head. And then... Squidward is turned back to normal with a ton of :dolphinnoise: in his diaper. This part made me want to turn this off right then and there, I'm so glad it was over.

The worst part is this was written by Mr. Lawrence. You're telling me, Mr. Lawrence took his time to write this?? And what was the point of writing this episode?? As I mentioned earlier, it's not even funny-weird, it's disgusting-weird.
Why did they make goo goo gas bad? also it feels like the writer's poorly disguised fetish
Agreed with SpongebobMaster...
The episode is grating on the eyes and ears
Real.
Much grosser than Splinter imo.
I'm actually starting to agree with this.

0.5/10, the 0.5 points only coming from the "MY FACE!" quote and baby Squidward being thrown into the ceiling.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
And I've been told by a reviewer once, "Everyone hates Squid Baby, can you be different for once and actually enjoy a hated episode?"
Sometimes I wonder if this is my ethos, since like you I enjoy quite a few hated episodes. But not this one. Certainly not this one LMAO.

I'm loving your reviews, by the way. I love seeing someone else be super long-winded like myself haha.

Hugs4Softie

Sometimes I wonder if this is my ethos, since like you I enjoy quite a few hated episodes. But not this one. Certainly not this one LMAO.

I'm loving your reviews, by the way. I love seeing someone else be super long-winded like myself haha.
Thank you!!

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Yeah no not giving this episode something atleast its breaking the mediocre streak
  1. Patrick-Man! (9.5/10)
  2. License To Milkshake (6.5/10)
  3. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)
  4. Gary's New Toy (6.5/10)
  5. Squirrel Record (6/10)
  6. Squid Baby (0/10)

Back