181a. License to Milkshake

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Is it weird for me to say I have nostalgia about a season 9 episode? Because I do. Honestly, I have nostalgia for all of season 9a, even if I don’t think it’s the strongest set of episodes (we’ve yet to have an Amazing-tier episode and we're already 4 episodes in, which means that this is the weakest start we've ever had to a season...I don’t think me saying this isn't a strong set of episodes should be coming as a surprise).

The most unrealistic thing about this episode is that no one ever orders the milkshakes at the Krusty Krab. Like are you kidding me? I love milkshakes. I also think it’s funny that in Bikini Bottom you need a license to milkshake. And the drama of the Milkshake Academy is also inherently hilarious. Maybe they need me, because even though I only ever make smoothies, I’m sure I can make a mean milkshake. This episode set up reminds me a lot of “The Inmates of Summer”, which is an episode I adored, so I’m excited.

One small thing, but I loved Tom Kenny’s delivery on “Oh dear” when SpongeBob is trying and failing to make a milkshake with a new machine. SpongeBob is for sure the type to say “oh dear” lol, and idk, just something about that line made this scene a lot more enjoyable for me. Can’t explain it though. Maybe because it makes SpongeBob seem older than he’s commonly portrayed to be, which is a win for me because that means we’re for sure on the adult side of the line. I feel like we haven’t been dipping as much into the child side so far in season 9, and that is 100% okay with me, y’all know how I feel about it.

Captain Frosty is a pretty fun character. He’s no Warden, but very few characters can reach that level of excellence. I love him for what he is, let’s put it that way. I think my main problem with him is that he’s not dramatic enough, and that might be down to the delivery? Michael McKean does a great job voicing him, but I don’t think his voice is the right one for the character. But again, it works well enough, so I’m not too bothered by this. It doesn’t really directly affect my enjoyment of the episode, more my enjoyment of the character.

Poor SpongeBob doesn’t seem to take to the instruction in this episode, repeatedly making solid blocks instead of a real milkshake. And eventually, everyone’s biting comments about him start to get to him, and he becomes determined to prove that he can indeed make a milkshake. And I’m rooting for him, of course. Maybe if this Academy spent time actually teaching one how to make a milkshake instead of throwing them into it, SpongeBob would learn lol. Anyway, this all means that we get more overly dramatic scenes, such as SpongeBob riding a motorcycle into the (gorgeous) sunset, and just the training montage as a whole.

Of course, things can’t be that easy for SpongeBob, as he completely fails to get his milkshake license. I feel like this is the humorous combination of SpongeBob’s inability to get a boating license, and his inability to cook anything other than a Krabby Patty. And I like it. And of course, SpongeBob’s most staunch critic, Captain Frosty, literally hasn’t touched a milkshake machine himself in 20 years…this says something about our society. lol. Anyway, the result of SpongeBob’s training, making a milkshake inside of himself, is funny and so very SpongeBob. This man uses his body like a multitool nearly every episode, and I love it. Makes for plenty of fun visuals all the time.

“License to Milkshake” was a pretty fun and enjoyable episode. Again, not super funny, but simply fun. I guess season 9 hasn’t quite gotten its footing when it comes to the humor? This means that I yet again cannot give this episode an Amazing-tier rating. Perhaps the next episode will be that one? (hahahaha, no. Just no.)

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.8/10

Back