Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
As the month changes over to July, these reviews change over to season 9! That’s right, we’ve finally made it to HD widescreen baby! And what a sight to behold, seeing SpongeBob in such bright color. I actually remember this episode premiering, vaguely. Good times, good times. It’s so weird that I’m going to have a pretty clear memory of almost every episode premiere from now on. Especially because during season 9 and season 10, I tried to actually watch the episodes right when they premiered (yeah, I’ve still only done a cursory look at season 12, and barely any of season 13, what about it?).

This episode sees the return of Sand Mountain, aka my favorite OST in Battle For Bikini Bottom. lol yeah that’s a stretch but I wanted to share that. But seriously, it’s fun to see the return of this old location, which we haven’t seen since I think “I Had An Accident”?? This beginning part reminds me a lot of “To Save a Squirrel”, but less dark and creepy haha. I feel like this episode also reminds me of “Sun Bleached” and “A Life in A Day” put together. The visuals of the Drastic Radicals are pretty fun, I like extreme things, and I love the fact that it’s like a whole title sequence too. Also, the old lady reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Hoodwinked, so that’s pretty awesome.

This is one of those episodes that’s just all about the antics, and this episode for sure delivers. Seeing SpongeBob and Patrick try to join the Drasticals is fun. I also really like seeing their own activities Drastical-ified. The bit with the jump rope was pretty funny (when Patrick is offended to discover he’s exercising). The funniest part has to be when Johnny Krill KOs that pillow, and the bed comes up and kicks his butt. And even more fun is when they reveal that one of their prime pastimes, jellyfishing, is actually pretty extreme for the novice ‘fisher. It reminds me of “I’m Your Biggest Fan”, and I like that. I truly don’t mind when episodes remind me of old ones. To me that just shows every avenue of an interesting idea being explored, writing consistency, and just an honoring of what came before, if that makes sense. I also like how unlike that episode, the Drasticals are actually open to SpongeBob and Patrick joining and doing extreme sports like them, they’re just trying to get them to be actually extreme. They make fun of SpongeBob and Patrick, but they’re not a-holes.

The namesake of this episode is just kinda weird. It’s a very out of place joke to have this pretentious British person say sports like “spots”, and then a whole big deal is made out of it. It’s weak and I think this episode could’ve done much better. And the fact that this joke is done so much in this episode means that this is a decently significant thing I don’t like here. There’s also a few other things that I’m not a big fan of, like some slow moments here and there. Such as when Patrick uses jellyfish to give himself some “extreme spots”, this just drags on and wasn’t very funny. But there were very few of these moments, so that’s good.

“Extreme Spots” was a pretty good opener to begin season 9 with. This wasn’t the best episode, as there were some slow moments, and the entire namesake joke just did not work for me, but there was also so much good stuff here. I’d say it’s a good fit for my Great tier, just on the lower side, because of those issues and the fact that the episode simply isn’t super hilarious.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.1/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
As the month changes over to July, these reviews change over to season 9! That’s right, we’ve finally made it to HD widescreen baby! And what a sight to behold, seeing SpongeBob in such bright color. I actually remember this episode premiering, vaguely. Good times, good times. It’s so weird that I’m going to have a pretty clear memory of almost every episode premiere from now on. Especially because during season 9 and season 10, I tried to actually watch the episodes right when they premiered (yeah, I’ve still only done a cursory look at season 12, and barely any of season 13, what about it?).

This episode sees the return of Sand Mountain, aka my favorite OST in Battle For Bikini Bottom. lol yeah that’s a stretch but I wanted to share that. But seriously, it’s fun to see the return of this old location, which we haven’t seen since I think “I Had An Accident”?? This beginning part reminds me a lot of “To Save a Squirrel”, but less dark and creepy haha. I feel like this episode also reminds me of “Sun Bleached” and “A Life in A Day” put together. The visuals of the Drastic Radicals are pretty fun, I like extreme things, and I love the fact that it’s like a whole title sequence too. Also, the old lady reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Hoodwinked, so that’s pretty awesome.

This is one of those episodes that’s just all about the antics, and this episode for sure delivers. Seeing SpongeBob and Patrick try to join the Drasticals is fun. I also really like seeing their own activities Drastical-ified. The bit with the jump rope was pretty funny (when Patrick is offended to discover he’s exercising). The funniest part has to be when Johnny Krill KOs that pillow, and the bed comes up and kicks his butt. And even more fun is when they reveal that one of their prime pastimes, jellyfishing, is actually pretty extreme for the novice ‘fisher. It reminds me of “I’m Your Biggest Fan”, and I like that. I truly don’t mind when episodes remind me of old ones. To me that just shows every avenue of an interesting idea being explored, writing consistency, and just an honoring of what came before, if that makes sense. I also like how unlike that episode, the Drasticals are actually open to SpongeBob and Patrick joining and doing extreme sports like them, they’re just trying to get them to be actually extreme. They make fun of SpongeBob and Patrick, but they’re not a-holes.

The namesake of this episode is just kinda weird. It’s a very out of place joke to have this pretentious British person say sports like “spots”, and then a whole big deal is made out of it. It’s weak and I think this episode could’ve done much better. And the fact that this joke is done so much in this episode means that this is a decently significant thing I don’t like here. There’s also a few other things that I’m not a big fan of, like some slow moments here and there. Such as when Patrick uses jellyfish to give himself some “extreme spots”, this just drags on and wasn’t very funny. But there were very few of these moments, so that’s good.

“Extreme Spots” was a pretty good opener to begin season 9 with. This wasn’t the best episode, as there were some slow moments, and the entire namesake joke just did not work for me, but there was also so much good stuff here. I’d say it’s a good fit for my Great tier, just on the lower side, because of those issues and the fact that the episode simply isn’t super hilarious.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.1/10
i keep confusing this one with ''sportz''

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Alright this is going to be my longest ranking since this is the longest season... so this is a mediocre episode to watch after how hello bikini bottom was so pretty mediocre leaning towards good
  1. Extreme Spots (6.5/10)

Back