178. Hello Bikini Bottom!

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler

Written By Aaron Springer, Sean Charmatz and Dani Michaeli

Wow, despite all the hype for the ep, I was surprised to see no topic for it. I haven't seen it fully, but what I did see was great. It looked as if Squidward and Spongebob's relationship was repaired in it somewhat, and I saw a lot of continuity references in the ep (I think Aaron Springer is learning a thing or two by directing Gravity Falls). It looked good, and a few songs I saw (It's High Tide Time We Go On Tour sounded good) looked nice. I especially look forward to seeing the Ukulele and Clarinet duets sprinkled throughout the episode. Also, I totally guessed Aaron Springer wrote this before the episode even aired. ALL BOW DOWN TO JIBBIX

Anyway, what did you guys think about the episode?

I actually REALLY liked this one! :thumb1: You didn't see too much argument from SpongeBob & Squidward, but it still wouldn't have mattered to me. That song was AWESOME! :thumbsup: It had a good melody. Not even Krabs bothered me, at least that much. I liked the tire jokes and the "Child's Birthday Paty" the most. I also liked how the next town's name was Next Town. :xD: Of course, it was rushed, though.

Also, did anyone notice that they referred back to a lot of chracters. Like the former wrestling champins in Krusty Krushers (they were also seen in "SpongeBob's Last Stand"), and Ned and the Needlefish from "Wigstruck." There was also Bert from Porous Pockets and that... guy from The Krusty Sponge. :xP:

So overall, a great episode, with no real flaws (except for Nick spoiling the whole episode with clips/trailers. Better start avoiding watching them). @_@ But overall: 9.7/10 :thumb1:

Perry The Platypus

....What?
i thought this episode was really darn good. it was funny, cool, and actually sort of sweet near the end. i also loved the songs, and just how well done it was. Good job Aaron.

Web Surfer

Banished
Hello Bikini Bottom - 8.8/10

Honestly, Spongebob just really outstanded me with this episode. It wasn't perfect, but WAY better than I expected.

There were some pretty good jokes here and there, even if the "Too loud" gag got old. But the thing I loved about this episode was the fact that

Squidward actually had some character development here. Notice how Squidward's opinion of performing with Spongebob changed throughout the episode. He learned how cooperation is always better than just being alone. It also brought back his soft side, which hasn't been shown for quite a while. The songs were pretty great as well.

There was also some nice references to older episodes, such as the crowd cheering after the song (Ripped Pants), Ned and the Needlefish bad appearing (Wigstruck), and the wrestlers (Krusty Krushers).

The only true problem with this episode was how mean the fish was. Seriously though, why did that ::dolphin noise:: get away with what he was doing?! :bleh: The episode was also kinda rushed.

Overall, this episode exceeded my expectations, and is overall just great. Also, E.V.I.L...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNtt3WENedw

Hello Bikini Bottom - 8.8/10

Honestly, Spongebob just really outstanded me with this episode. It wasn't perfect, but WAY better than I expected.

There were some pretty good jokes here and there, even if the "Too loud" gag got old. But the thing I loved about this episode was the fact that

Squidward actually had some character development here. Notice how Squidward's opinion of performing with Spongebob changed throughout the episode. He learned how cooperation is always better than just being alone. It also brought back his soft side, which hasn't been shown for quite a while. The songs were pretty great as well.

There was also some nice references to older episodes, such as the crowd cheering after the song (Ripped Pants), Ned and the Needlefish bad appearing (Wigstruck), and the wrestlers (Krusty Krushers).

The only true problem with this episode was how mean the fish was. Seriously though, why did that ::dolphin noise:: get away with what he was doing?! :bleh: The episode was also kinda rushed.

Overall, this episode exceeded my expectations, and is overall just great. Also, E.V.I.L...

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hehe 5:57)

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
even though i missed the episode last night, thanks for the video.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Just got around to watching this episode (thanks for the link, Web Surfer!)
I liked it. :)

Highlights:
- Squidward actually plays the clarinet well now? Those 13 years of practice are finally starting to show results ...
- Patrick walking into the KK with a car he found in the parking lot
- "It sure was nice of that Colonel Carper guy to let us borrow his entire wall of sound equipment."
- Customers playing along in the supermarket; it reminded me of the end of Jellyfish Jam
- Continuity - pretty sure the supermarket owner was a nominee at the Cheapskate Convention
- "Don't worry Squidward, these geezers really know how to party." / "Oh yeah, they've got one foot in the rave. Ha! Reaper jokes."
- SpongeBob and Squidward slowly moving their hands away from their instruments in the retirement home ("Too loud!")
- Pin-the-tail-on-Squidward
- Gary's college fund

Not-so-highlights:
- I'm a little disappointed that they managed to stuff a Krabs/Plankton sub-plot in the background when there wasn't really any need for it
- Seemed a little out of character for Mr Krabs to pawn the KK
- Some of the singing wasn't really necessary
- Cheeeeeks

Overall, enjoyed it.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I just noticed that SpongeBob is actually strumming his ukulele correctly.

uke.jpg

Writers/storyboard artists get bonus points for this.

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
Wow, just wow. GREAT episode, I think they're actually making SpongeBob funny again. Favorite quote was: "Don't worry Squidward, these geezers really know how to party." "Oh yeah, they've got one foot in the rave. Ha! Reaper jokes." Good episode, lots of jokes, but seemed a little rushed and the song at the beginning was too long. Overall, 8/10.

Web Surfer

Banished
Just rewatched it, and I'm actually gonna raise my score to a 9.3/10.

Cha

I love SBM
I really liked this episode watching it for a second time. The song were catchy and easily can be remembered. I love all the references to older episodes, ex: Ned and the Nettlefish. I'm surprised and glad there wasn't much of an argument between SpongeBob and Squidward.

9.4/10

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
Ok, well I found another good quote in this episode during the first song. When Mr. Krabs walked by Squidward, he sang "Excuse me girl". I Don't know why, but that was pretty funny for me. Anyways, raising my score to 9/10.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Ah. Well, a lot to say. Considering this was an episode written by Charmatz and Springer, I expected the episode to involve an adventure and character development (Enchanted Tiki Dreams and A Squarepants Family Vacation dealt with these factors and were directed by the same people). So, let's break down the episode in it's good and it's bad.

The Good
-I know I've bagged on Aaron Springer A LOT in the past, but I really appreciated his involvement in this episode. His directing habits can be incredibly odd (Giving Krabs, Pat and SB giant cheeks, making SB's legs incredibly close together and feminine, and sequences that go on for too long and feel pointless), but here, they worked, actually. Perhaps it was Sean Charmatz balancing his habits out with his Pre-Movie style in the episode, but Aaron Springer did a beast job here. I especially love the "Never Give Up" musical number, because while the song was written by Charmatz, the direction throughout the entire song is just Pure Springer, and I love that. He's really rebounded in the past.

-I feel the episode really repaired the relationship b/t Squidward and Spongebob. The abuse in the episode was minimal, and by the end, Squidward and Spongebob's relationship seemed to be less "I HATE YOU NOW GO DIE" but Squidward seemed tolerant of Spongebob, perhaps even to the point of having them be friends. I hope this continues into new episodes.

-The songs were good. "High Tide Time" did feel a little long and a bit off. But "Never Give Up" was fantastic, and I liked the emotion in the number especially. The songs weren't cringe worthy, and the lyrics were pretty good.

-The Plankton subplot was funny, as was the "Too Loud" bit. The episode was genuinely funny throughout. Good humor abound.

-The direction in this episode was also spectacular. A lot of continuity references in here, too. Counted ones to Boating Buddies, Band Geeks, Kracked Krabs, Penny Foolish and Wigstruck.

The Bad
-Mr Krabs swung between being the annoying cheapskate he can be and just an okay character. He was pretty okay, but could get annoying sometimes in the episode.

-Where they did the gigs was a missed opportunity; A Supermarket could've been the Barg-N-Mart, and Shady Lanes should've been Shady Shoals, as well.

Other than that, the episode was really good. 9/10. A very fitting finale to the Eighth Season. Cannot wait for the DVD. If we ever get one.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I LOVED this episode! :D

- Brilliant songs, the second one being quite emotional
- Nobody was out of character (Mr. Krabs did steal some stuff, but we already knew he did that since "Life of Crime")
- Squidward didn't seem to despise SpongeBob in this episode, he was mostly friendly to him
- On that note, besides the very beginning, SpongeBob did nothing to annoy Squidward
- Lots of funny jokes, like the retirement home scene, the supermarket
- "They're cheering 'Squidward and SpongeBob', 'Squidward and SpongeBob'"

TheAngryWumbologyNerd

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
AMAZING EPISODE! My favorite episode since season 5. The humor was there, the songs were BOSS, but the plot was fantastic. A very well excecuted episode. 9.8 out of ten

Ugly Barnacle

I'm not really ugly, I just stink
I finally got around to seeing this episode and I just wanted to say how much I LOVED IT! The songs were phenomenal, especially "Don't Give Up" and I really liked the little ukulele-clarinet melody played throughout the episode as well. Each character was perfect! Mr. Krabs was cheap, but not as selfish as he usually was, Squidward didn't act like he wanted to kill SpongeBob and he wasn't really abused at all (except for the cactus part, but that was pretty funny. :goof: ) Patrick wasn't extremely stupid; I loved his comment on the meteor shower and Colonel Carper was pretty funny, I wish he could of been seen a bit more, though. This episode and many other recent ones show that SpongeBob truly is getting better quality-wise, and humor-wise as well. There were a few flaws here and there, most of them mentioned in the comments above me, but I really, really liked this one. A great season finale to Season 8, and an episode that gives me hope that the show will go back to its old roots. 8.9/10

OldFanNewSkeptic

Moby Dollar
Again, disappointing me. I liked the cactus joke because I like the gross-out humor that some of the newer episodes have. Otherwise, I thought it was dull.

SpongyMaterial

Moby Dollar
I'm sorry guys, but I don't like this episode. It was actually very boring and kind of stupid. And, to top it all off, the song at the beginning was WAYYYYY too long! 3/10

Back