176b. Chum Fricassee

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
This episode isn't talked about much, which is too bad, because I enjoy this episode when it's on TV. Seeing the interactions between Plankton and Squidward is always fun to see. The idea of the episode is good and I do indeed wonder what Chum Fricasse tasted like...... I guess I'll never know :P

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I watched this episode and thought it was great. It seems like it was another episode focusing on Squidward and Plankton, but I thought Sweet and Sour Squid was better than this episode. Squidward was mean to Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob in this episode. This is the problem of this episode. I don't think Squidward deserves to be a doormat in the ending, but the ending was meh. Squidward's idea for Chum Fricassee was very creative and it was great seeing Squidward writing autographs. Mr. Krabs watching Squidward working at the Chum Bucket on TV was one of the best parts in this episode too. A great Season 8 episode. 9/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 8

Episode: Chum Fricassee

This episode was good. The plot was nice. I liked the interactions between Squidward and Plankton. There were some funny jokes. 8/10

iPlankton

The Original Single-Celled Organism
I'd give this one maybe a 7/10. One of the funnier episodes this season.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Something about the plot of this episode was just really engaging to me and there were enough jokes to keep it above the usual season 6-8 slog.

8/10

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
Squidward makes me want to try Chum.
A decent episode. I know we've seen Squidward and Plankton interact before but this was quite humorous and entertaining. The scene where Squidward was signing autographs was cool, but it's too bad those scenes don't last. The scene with Squidward's grandma was pretty funny but I think the joke where she squashed Squidward's foot with her zimmer frame was way overdone. SpongeBob wasn't at his best in terms of his character and neither was Mr Krabs. But I think the best scene with them was when that guy passing by them gave them some Chum.

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
I For the MOST part Loved this episode; Except even though Squidward's ego was overinflated; and while he DID deserve to get Punishment He Got Way more Punishment than he ACTUALLY Deserved!!

This episode was... fine enough. I think more could have been done with the plot but other than not, nothing in this episode is harmful.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Planet of the Jellyfish (A)
5. Ghoul Fools (A)
6. The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (A)
7. InSPONGEiac (A)
8. Mooncation (A)
9. Mermaid Man Begins (B)
10. Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation (B)
11. Plankton's Good Eye (B)
12. Home Sweet Rubble (B)
13. Walking the Plankton (B)
14. Karen 2.0 (B)
15. Glove World R.I.P. (B)
16. For Here or To Go (B)
17. The Way of the Sponge (B)
18. A Friendly Game (B)
19. Free Samples (B)
20. Chum Fricassee (C)
21. Sentimental Sponge (C)
22. It's a SpongeBob Christmas! (C)
23. Bubble Troubles (C)
24. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
25. Accidents Will Happen (C)
26. Treats! (C)
27. Fiasco! (C)
28. Squiditis (C)
29. House Sittin' For Sandy (C)
30. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
31. Barnacle Face (C)
32. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
33. Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go! (D)
34. The Googly Artiste (D)
35. The Other Patty (D)
36. Bubble Buddy Returns (D)
37. Patrick's Staycation (D)
38. Oral Report (E)
39. Restraining SpongeBob (E)
40. Face Freeze! (F)
41. Demolition Doofus (F-)
42. Pet Sitter Pat (F-)
43. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (F-)
44. Are You Happy Now? (F-)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I like this episode. It's far from the best, but it does have some good jokes (such as Mr. Krabs not valuing squidward at all) and the premise of the episode does sound cool, with Squidward and Plankton teaming up against Mr. Krabs, and unlike Sweet and Sour Squid, they actually made something out of that premise, with nothing annoying or frustrating going on, however I do think they could've done more. I also really like the ending, it's a pretty logical way of wrapping up the story, and it's just pretty cool to see the design of Squidward's grandmother.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This was a very excellent episode indeed it was absolutely hirlarious and very funny. I had a lot of laughs also that ending was in fact i would consider to be karma.

Rating: Awesome Episode

Rankings:
Mermaid Man Begins (Perfect)
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Its a SpongeBob Christmas! (Perfect)
Planet of the Jellyfish (Amazing)
Chum Fricassee (Awesome)
For Here or To Go (Awesome)
Restraining SpongeBob (Great)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Treats! (Good)
Squiditis (Good)
Karen 2.0 (Good)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
The Way of the Sponge (Good)
Plankton's Good Eye (Good)
Glove World R.I.P. (Good)
Are You Happy Now? (Okay)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Ghoul Fools (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
Pet Sitter Pat (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Demolition Doofus (Meh)
Face Freeze! (Meh)
Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up is Go! (Meh)
Free Samples (Mediocre)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (Mediocre)
Home Sweet Rubble (Mediocre)
Bubble Troubles (Bad)
Barnacle Face (Bad)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)
House Sittin For Sandy (Inferior)
Bubble Buddy Returns (Ridiculous)
Fiasco! (Terrible)
InSPONGEiac (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Okay, Squidward and Plankton interacting, take 2. That’s basically what this episode is, right? And I mentioned this in my review of “Sweet and Sour Squid”, that this episode actually does justice to this pairing.

This episode starts off pretty well, which is a big improvement over the previous episode, so I’m happy. I always say this, but I love when SpongeBob’s a little weirdo about work. It’s just so very endearing, and also funny. Him saying that he recreates his day at work when he goes home is just so funny, and Gary rocks that paper bag, idk. I wish I could love going to work as much as SpongeBob. Then the hours and days and years I give away in the name of capitalism wouldn’t feel so wasted. Oops, got serious for a second. Uh…let me get back to the show. Anyway, I always like to see Squidward’s disdain for his job contrasted with SpongeBob’s love for it. And Squidward’s disdain is well-vocalized in this episode. It makes me think of some of the other good examples, like “Squid on Strike” or “The Play’s The Thing”. I also like this first minute or two as a set up for the episode. Squidward running a restaurant? Count me in. “Squilliam Returns” was fun, so why not see something similar?

Plankton then bursts onto a scene, in an actually good example of a joke where the characters don’t notice him (catch it, “Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team-Up Is Go!”). And this is where excellence begins. This is just the first improvement over “Sweet and Sour Squid”—Plankton and Squidward start interacting very quickly. The second improvement is that I like Squidward coming into Plankton’s environment more than Plankton coming into Squidward’s. Idk, something about Plankton’s plan to steal the formula is something that does not change with context, while Squidward’s aspirations are something that change with context, and so this allows new character dynamics to shine or something like that. That’s my best guess, but I’m mostly speculating. I also just really like how this episode emphasizes how similar these two characters are. As Karen says, they’re both megalomaniacs. And I like that they’re not instant friends or anything, just business partners.

I like that Squidward’s family just happens to have a recipe that makes chum edible. And with the introduction of this recipe, we can see what direction the episode might take. But as I always say, predictability isn’t an issue on its own, and this episode proves that, because I like what’s to come, even if I can easily foresee it. It’s fun to see Squidward’s success in this next part of the episode, I really liked the commercial aspect (complete with those random stock images, lol).

Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then infiltrate “Le Chum Bucket”, and I love their outfits and fake facial hair here. This part of the episode is probably my least favorite, but that’s not saying much considering I really like this part too. And once Mr. Krabs completely starts bawling, this part is funny as well. I love some drama. Eventually, though, all good things must come to an end, and by this I mean good things for Squidward and Plankton. I love how Squidward’s grandma just pulls up to the Chum Bucket to school Squidward in making chum fricassee, and then leaves so that Squidward gets beat up by the angry customers LMAO. Squidward and Plankton’s resulting back-and-forth is fun to watch, and again a good example of their dynamic.

Another thing I want to note in this episode is that I really like the animation here. Just the character models and expressions are excellent, and it feels like we’re starting to move into that season 9 feel, which is something that I’ve been saying for a few different episodes now, I believe. Just wait until I discuss this trend in my season 8 overview.

“Chum Fricasee” is simply an excellent and hilarious episode that finally, finally does justice to Squidward and Plankton’s dynamic. Seeing these two interact is so fun, and as long as it keeps being done in a good way like this, I wouldn’t mind seeing a lot more of this kind of stuff.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Remember how I said this was a better version of sweet and sour squid? yeah
  1. It's A Spongebob Christmas! (15/10)
  2. Frozen Face Off (10/10)
  3. Ghoul Fools (10/10)
  4. Planet Of The Jellyfish (10/10)
  5. The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (10/10)
  6. A Squarepants Family Vacation (10/10)
  7. Mooncation (10/10)
  8. Mermaid Man Begins (10/10)
  9. The Hot Shot (10/10)
  10. Are You Happy Now? (9.5/10)
  11. Oral Report (9.5/10)
  12. Chum Fricassee (9.5/10)
  13. Drive Thru (9.5/10)
  14. Treats! (9.5/10)
  15. Plankton's Good Eye (9/10)
  16. A Friendly Game (8.5/10)
  17. The Way Of The Sponge (8/10)
  18. InSPONGEiac (8/10)
  19. Home Sweet Rubble (8/10)
  20. Walking The Plankton (8/10)
  21. Squidward's School For Grown Ups (8/10)
  22. Sweet And Sour Squid (7.5/10)
  23. Sentimental Sponge (7/10)
  24. Accidents Will Happen (6.5/10)
  25. Glove World R.I.P (6/10)
  26. The Other Patty (6/10)
  27. Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team Up Is Go! (6/10)
  28. Free Samples (5.5/10)
  29. Bubble Troubles (4.5/10)
  30. Fiasco! (4/10)
  31. Barnacle Face (3.5/10)
  32. Squiditis (3.5/10)
  33. For Here Or To Go (3.5/10)
  34. Karen 2.0 (3.5/10)
  35. Mr Krabs Takes A Vacation (3.5/10)
  36. Bubble Buddy Returns (3/10)
  37. Demolition Doofus (2/10)
  38. Restraining Spongebob (2/10)
  39. The Googly Artiste (1.5/10)
  40. Patrick's Staycation (1.5/10)
  41. Smoothe Jazz At Bikini Bottom (1/10)
  42. House Sittin For Sandy (1/10)
  43. Pet Sitter Pat (0/10)
  44. Face Freeze! (-9999999/10)

Back