175. It's A SpongeBob Christmas!

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Not gonna post my actual review until the special really airs. But I will say it was really good. Took some pics from the DVD I got. They suck a little, though. It's not pictures SBM already has- It's pics of the credits and the animatic.

GBKVj.jpg

Some comparison with the animatic and the actual special.

etOyY.jpg

3yNmU.jpg

dithK.jpg

cZCz7.jpg

sxHwx.jpg

If anyone cares, Marc Ceccarelli wrote his first song on the show.

QyQgy.jpg

And Tom Kenny is a writer.
tongue.png

Cha

I love SBM
Man, I wanna see Tom Kenny apart of more future episodes! And thanks for the pictures AJ.

ringoffirejrc

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Truly amazing episode. I like this just as much, if not more, than "Christmas Who?". I actually shed a tear of joy at the end of the "Don't Be A Jerk (It's Christmas)" montage.

Kukimao

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Not gonna post my actual review until the special really airs. But I will say it was really good. Took some pics from the DVD I got. They suck a little, though. It's not pictures SBM already has- It's pics of the credits and the animatic.

GBKVj.jpg

Some comparison with the animatic and the actual special.

etOyY.jpg

3yNmU.jpg

dithK.jpg

cZCz7.jpg

sxHwx.jpg

If anyone cares, Marc Ceccarelli wrote his first song on the show.

QyQgy.jpg

And Tom Kenny is a writer.
tongue.png
Thanks for these, got the DVD today but these are not on it.... weeeird.

ringoffirejrc

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Thanks for these, got the DVD today but these are not on it.... weeeird.
Odd, indeed. The special features are on mine. Where'd you buy it? I got my copy from Amazon.

What are the special features on the DVD?
Behind-the-Scenes Feature
Animatic
Yule Log
Two MP3-Compatible songs: "Santa's Eyes" & "Hot Fruitcake"

Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Me being TREMENDOUSLY late, I found there's no blu ray coming out, so I'll be buying the DVD today. At least I'll watch the episode again in high-def on NickHD when it premieres :teef:

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
As we get closer to the CBS premiere date, and reviews of the episode start coming out, it's getting increasingly difficult to avoid spoilers. Therefore, I decided to watch the episode tonight. Just once, so that I can read reviews and watch clips without spoiling any surprises.

I only watched it once so I can't remember absolutely everything, but it was just as great as I was hoping it would be. I'm so happy with how the episode turned out, and to be honest my expectations were so high that I would have been disappointed with anything less than excellent, but it definitely met those expectations.

I'm not going to watch it again until the premiere because I don't want to get bored of it before it's even Christmas, but in a few weeks I will sit down and do a proper review. :)

Well, I waited until the day. It was sure hard to do, but it ended up being worth the wait! :D

And what a sepcial it was. I bet you sooo much work was put into this special, to make seem like classics such as Rudolph. Speaking of that, how about dat Rudy reference? :weehammer: Anyway, it had some nicely done, spread out humor, to go with the great ideas of design for the claymotion. My favorite was SpongeBob. He actually looked quite cute! The way he just tries to save Bikini Bottom, and defeat robots. That part was funny! What else? Well, it had some fantastic musical numbers, unlike "Atlantis SquarePantis." It dealt with Plankton, not focusing too much on his or Krabs' restaurant. I can't wait to see the Patchy segments, hopefully Nickelodeon will show them on December 9th. :goof:

9.4/10 :w00t:

I think this was actually pretty good. It did have some logic problems (if Santa's watching everybody all the time, then wouldn't he know about Plankton's evil plan), but it was still good. It had a few funny moments, including Patrick's desires to capture Santa Claus, very similar to his desires to capture Spongebob in "Nature Pants". Squidward probably wouldn't want Santa to go away, I thought that was a little out of character. But what do I see? Sandy gaining back some of her character? Although she was a bit of scientist archetype this episode, I noticed one thing different. She used one of those southern terms like in "Suds". It looks like Sandy's regaining a bit of her original character. The Plankton formula was kept fresh by the fact that the Krusty Krab was barely in the episode. The song numbers weren't too bad, the first one dragged on for a bit long. But as a whole this episode seemed to be in the vein of a lot of cheesy Christmas specials. I preferred "Christmas Who?", however I still think this was not too bad of an episode. I'll be a bit generous with my score, since I wasn't expecting that much out of the episode.

8|10 Overall

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
This episode was higher than my expectations. Patrick HAD to be my favorite. I can even name some quote in this episode (which I'm not going to spoil), which hasn't been able to happen for awhile. The plot was great, and I was happy that it didn't just center around the Krusty Krab. Also, the songs were better than I thought they'd be. This episode is one of the best of post-movie, IMO. 10/10

Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I just absolutely LOVED it! They surely had the Christmas special to make the whole family enjoy it, like every Christmas special should be!

DirtyDan

Giant Clam
I LOVED this episode! Truly, I did! I've been dreading the premiere of this episode because until now, there's only been 1 Christmas themed episode and it's one of my favorite episodes! (And my favorite Christmas special of ANY show) But, I feel like they did a really good job! I don't think it took away from Christmas Who at all!

I am a little confused though. Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't this episode first announced like 2 years ago? What took them so long? Also, the "Don't be a jerk" song started airing on Nick like 4 years ago! :huh:

Nevertheless, this was a great episode! 10/10

kev

innit
It was announced last year

But the special, on the other hand, was fantastico 10/10

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I am a little confused though. Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't this episode first announced like 2 years ago? What took them so long? Also, the "Don't be a jerk" song started airing on Nick like 4 years ago! :huh:

Nevertheless, this was a great episode! 10/10

Well, stop-motion is more labor-intensive than regular animation and they had to build all the sets and puppets etc. Then there's the fact that it was double length, and they always take longer to write. They had a couple of new songs, too. And it was probably actually finished several months before it aired, because we got the trailer in July 2012.

DirtyDan

Giant Clam
So if I understand correctly, there are Patchy the Pirate segments in this episode, they just weren't included in the CBS premiere.

I guess I'll have to watch the nick premiere too. :p

So if I understand correctly, there are Patchy the Pirate segments in this episode, they just weren't included in the CBS premiere.

I guess I'll have to watch the nick premiere too. :p

Are there seriously Patchy the Pirate segments?

Ughhh, I hate that bearded pirate in some random California suburb. -.- And that patchy parrot, I just wanna burn. Those two are almost as annoying as me. :O

I wonder if Encino is a real place.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Yeah, this was a great episode. Finally, and Christmas episode 12 since "Christmas Who?"! 9.5/10

Web Surfer

Banished
Perfect episode. It wasn't too funny, but everything else pretty much made up for it. Patrick's trap box was hilarious though, and so were the Patchy scenes. 9.5/10

Back