173b. Demolition Doofus

SpongyMaterial

Moby Dollar
Loved this episode! The demolition derby was awesome and hilarious! And call me a sadist all you want, but I liked how they added a bit of dark humor in this episode with Mrs. Puff trying to get SpongeBob demolished and I don't blame her. 9 of 10!

Okay, I really wanted to talk about this episode in a long time. I can understand why everyone hates this episode so much because Mrs. Puff is bloodthirsty, SpongeBob was oblivious and he made Mrs. Puff a cripple fish that will never puff again (right?) but actually I like the premise of this episode. Sure Mrs. Puff trying to kill SpongeBob is wrong and Mrs. Puff can be nice to SpongeBob sometimes but It's actually understandable why Mrs. Puff want SpongeBob to die. After all these years, SpongeBob's car accidents made Mrs. Puff go to either jail or hospital and this time when SpongeBob made Mrs. Puff finally cripple, Mrs. Puff had enough with SpongeBob and she wants him to die. The concept is actually clever, If you ask me because the writers took a risk for making Mrs. Puff a bloodthristy person and It actually worked. One Coarse Meal is another dark story but I hate this episode with a burning passion because Mr. Krabs laughing at Plankton commiting suicide and Mr. Krabs is supposed to be a good guy and you guys know that even though Mr. Krabs and Plankton are enemies, Mr. Krabs and Plankton like being enemies of each other (Best Frenemies prooved it) and Mr. Krabs laughing at Plankton commiting suicide is a really out of character for him. Anyway, back to this episode. Poeple also seems to hate this episode because It's too dark for kids show. Umm, hello? A lot of kids shows did lots of concepts before. Remember the Invader Zim episode when Zim makes Dib getting hurt in the past, so he can die (Bad, Bad Rubber Pig) but people don't seem to complain about it. Then the episode of Ren and Stimpy when Ren tries to kill Stimpy just because Stimpy has too many fans and Ren has no fans (Stimpy's Fan Club) but people doesn't seems to complain about it. Same with most of Courage the Cowardly Dog episodes. My point is that I found people hating this episode just because It's not for a kids show stupid. Okay, maybe Mrs. Puff being bloodthristy is a bit too far but that's still not an excuse for disliking it. Okay, I have to admit that this episode has a few problems, despite Mrs. Puff being bloodthristy, I hated SpongeBob's characterization in this episode because at the begining, he knows that Mrs. Puff is going to pop after one last accident but SpongeBob still did the accident and Mrs. Puff became cripple. In fact, he kinda made fun of Mrs. Puff being cripple, "from now on I guess we'll have to call you 'Mrs. Pop'. Dahaha.". No wonder why Mrs. Puff want him to die. To be honest, SpongeBob characterization in this episode made me anger more than Mrs. Puff wanting him to die. There's also the ending, which the main problem of this episode. When Mrs. Puff became cripple, the doctor said she will never puff again. Then why Mrs. Puff puffed at the ending. That makes no sense. And besides I didn't like how Mrs. Puff didn't get arrested for killing SpongeBob. That's ironic. In some of Boating School episodes, Mrs. Puff gets arrested because of SpongeBob's actions but when Mrs. Puff did something wrong, she didn't get arrested. I think I'm done with my problems with this episode. Now lets get to the posities of this episode. Like I said before, I really like the concept of this episode because not only the writers took a risk, this is also a dark concept and I love those dark concepts. The demolotion derby scenes were both funny and enjoyable at the same time. Also I did laugh at a few times like when the doctor puts a shot in Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob, so they can pass out (good idea, doctor). Besides a few flaws, I really like this episode because I love the concept and I liked demolotion derby scenes. I do agree that kids shouldn't watch this episode because It's too dark and disturbing bt I still like the episode. So I'm going to give this episode 7.5/10 (B) It's okay, If you hate this episode though, I can understand.
Looking back at this review, it's not bad but it goes off-topic sometimes and overall the review is jumbled. I still stand by that this episode is decent tho. It has some flaws but I enjoyed darker tone of it and for the most part, writing is decent.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I don't hate it, but this episode can't seem to even decide which character the villain of the episode should be

For the first half, SpongeBob is pretty much depicted as the bad one. And I'm pretty sure we're all meant to feel sorry for Mrs. Puff. (And we should, as an accident causing her to burst her inflation sack permanently does sound horrible) And SpongeBob's insensitivity to the situation is just wrong, I mean, even he should know not to make a joke about the situation right after she was just given the news

But then the episode goes the opposite direction. Of course, it's not right to kill someone, but if we're going to feel as if SpongeBob is the protagonist in this half, then don't make him behave the way he did in the first half. And it really goes from "Mrs. Puff just had a horrific incident and you should feel sorry for her" to "Mrs. Puff is the bad one in this episode". Perhaps they intentionally made SpongeBob annoyingly obnoxious so that Mrs. Puff had a reason to want to kill him, but it could have been executed so much better

Onto the positives, I did like the concept of the episode. For a SpongeBob episode, it's quite dark, and it's an original episode too. The Demolition Derby sequence was great, even with the negatives I gave above, it was pretty funny to see how SpongeBob won the Derby without even intending to do so.

My overall opinion is that the episode is okay, it has its obvious flaws, but it doesn't entirely ruin the episode. With perhaps a bit of better execution (like maybe trying to make SpongeBob less annoying to the audience themselves), it could've been a lot better too

mattman97

Baby Clam
Total character betrayal in this episode. I know we've seen Mrs. Puff get crazy trying to get SpongeBob out of her school but since the Summer Job episode i kind of grew a dislike of her character and in this episode, she went too far. She actually lost her sanity. I don't know what the writers were thinking when they wrote this. Still can't believe that Mrs. Puff would try to murder SpongeBob. She would get crazy wanting him to pass but this? She didnt even get arrested in this episode. Not fun at the least. I actually like her Pre-Season 7 character more.

Episode Rating: 1/10

Delta Stream

тhє fιєѕту qυιℓανα
This episode isn't really that terrible, but the part that really got on my nerves is how Mrs. Puff wants Spongebob dead and I'll rephrase this scene...

Spongebob: "Mrs. Puff, what should I-"

Mrs. Puff: "Why... are you still ALIVE?!?!"

Yeah, this part is unforgivable, even when she chases him out of the derby when she sees how Spongebob literally saves himself from his bad driving skills (which is what saved this episode from getting a bad score from me).

6/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
One of the worst episodes. It's up their with Squid Baby when it comes to worst idea for an episode.

I've heard the defense that "After all these years Mrs. Puff would want to kill SpongeBob" which I disagree with because

A. SpongeBob has no continuity

B. Even if this episode decides to have continuity for some reason the idea that this is a tragic cycle that comes to the point where Mrs. Puff feels the need to murder SpongeBob in order to end it completely ruins this dynamic with SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff and makes it seem more scary than funny.

Along with this horrible, horrible plot we have Face-Freeze and Pet or Pests levels of comedy and ugh... I just can't get over how much I hate the characters in this episode. SpongeBob is just such an annoying little twerp in this episode keeping his idiotic dumb smile when he potentially crippled someone for life and never showing a semblance of humanity making dumb remarks through out the episode and Mrs. Puff's characterization is just obviously terrible as well, I've enjoyed boating school episodes but never in a million years would I want to see Mrs. Puff try to murder SpongeBob, that just ruins the fun in these types of episodes. This is one of my least-favorites for sure.

2/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Honestly I think the animation is bad for SpongeBob standards. It's stiff and lifeless like all season 8 episodes excluding It's a SB Christmas

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Demolition Doofus (S8-E173-B)

Usually, I love SpongeBob episodes involving SpongeBob's reckless driving but I don't like this one. I HATE THIS EPISODE! After SpongeBob deflated Mrs. Puff in a car crash, Mrs. Puff is hospitalized and became skinny. Even worst, SpongeBob called Mrs. Puff "Mrs. POP!" :facepalm: How offensive and mean-spirited. I do like the demolition derby scene and the ending.

Final Score = 2/10

A very bad episode. Everyone is out of character, nothing is funny, the plot is really bad, and the whole episode feels like a mess. I hate it, but of the F- episodes this one is probably the most tame.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Planet of the Jellyfish (A)
5. Ghoul Fools (A)
6. The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (A)
7. InSPONGEiac (A)
8. Mooncation (A)
9. Mermaid Man Begins (B)
10. Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation (B)
11. Plankton's Good Eye (B)
12. Home Sweet Rubble (B)
13. Walking the Plankton (B)
14. Karen 2.0 (B)
15. Glove World R.I.P. (B)
16. The Way of the Sponge (B)
17. A Friendly Game (B)
18. Free Samples (B)
19. Sentimental Sponge (C)
20. Bubble Troubles (C)
21. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
22. Accidents Will Happen (C)
23. Fiasco! (C)
24. Squiditis (C)
25. House Sittin' For Sandy (C)
26. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
27. Barnacle Face (C)
28. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
29. The Googly Artiste (D)
30. The Other Patty (D)
31. Bubble Buddy Returns (D)
32. Patrick's Staycation (D)
33. Oral Report (E)
34. Restraining SpongeBob (E)
35. Face Freeze! (F)
36. Demolition Doofus (F-)
37. Pet Sitter Pat (F-)
38. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (F-)
39. Are You Happy Now? (F-)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Honestly, Mrs. Puff wanting to kill SpongeBob kind of makes sense, since SpongeBob has done MANY terrible things to Mrs. Puff in the past, and even if he didn't, this episode still would've been okay, as I like the demolition derby segments and the humor.

Good Episode (7/10)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I rewatched it now. It is bad. Very bad. I did not find something good in this episode. 1.5/10

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
I Oddly Found Mrs. Puff to be Sympathetic in her Homicidal Rage against Spongebob. . .

Because That's EXACTLY How I Felt watching Spongebob being such an Insensitive D*ck in this episode; Because He was SUCH an Awful Person in this episode; I was legitimately rooting for Mrs. Puff to succeed; Even knowing that she WOULDN'T; simply because he's the Protagonist. . .

Honestly. . . Some of the Most HATED Things about particularly infamous episodes of Spongebob, is Protagonist-centered Morality; where EVERYTHING the Protagonist does is right, and can get away with whatever they want, simply because they're the protagonist, and anyone who either Goes against them, calls them out for it, or does the same thing they do is the Antagonist and we should root against them. . .

Snails

Floating Shopping List
This episode is so so so bad. Like unbelievably bad. This is my least favorite episode of the whole series. Nothing can beat this awful awful episode. Plus who do I sympathize with. I don't know.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode isn't really that terrible, but the part that really got on my nerves is how Mrs. Puff wants Spongebob dead and I'll rephrase this scene...

Spongebob: "Mrs. Puff, what should I-"

Mrs. Puff: "Why... are you still ALIVE?!?!"

Yeah, this part is unforgivable, even when she chases him out of the derby when she sees how Spongebob literally saves himself from his bad driving skills (which is what saved this episode from getting a bad score from me).

6/10
Per this guy from 2016. It was SpongeBob basically getting some karma for that car crash. Also the demolition derby scenes were pretty awesome but the "WHY ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?!?!?!?!?" quote was BY FAR one of the worst quotes ever said by Mrs Puff.

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Mermaid Man Begins (Perfect)
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Planet of the Jellyfish (Amazing)
Restraining SpongeBob (Great)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Squiditis (Good)
Karen 2.0 (Good)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
The Way of the Sponge (Good)
Plankton's Good Eye (Good)
Glove World R.I.P. (Good)
Are You Happy Now? (Okay)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Ghoul Fools (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
Pet Sitter Pat (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Demolition Doofus (Meh)
Face Freeze! (Meh)
Free Samples (Mediocre)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (Mediocre)
Home Sweet Rubble (Mediocre)
Bubble Troubles (Bad)
Barnacle Face (Bad)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)
House Sittin For Sandy (Inferior)
Bubble Buddy Returns (Ridiculous)
Fiasco! (Terrible)
InSPONGEiac (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Oh joy, notorious episode time! Unsurprisingly (or not, idk how y’all roll), I’ve never had very strong personal opinions on “Demolition Doofus”. I’ve been persuaded over the years, absolutely, but I’ve never had an actual opinion of my own that was very positive or very negative. Just kinda neutral. So, obviously, the rewatch was sorely needed.

Obviously, this is a boating school episode, and “Demolition Doofus” wastes no time in getting us straight to SpongeBob’s boating test, where he predictably crashes multiple times. This beginning is pretty engaging, though nothing is funny. But nothing is trying to be funny, so I’m fine with this. Anyway, SpongeBob crashes enough times to get Mrs. Puff to inflate enough to where she ends up making the boat float. And then, because of SpongeBob, they end up crashing into the lighthouse at the boating school, resulting in Mrs. Puff being unable to puff herself up. So…pretty bad. I don’t exactly feel any type of way about this. I know some people see this as Mrs. Puff abuse, and I can see where that idea comes from, but that’s not how I feel. I mean…this is simply par for the course in a boating school episode. It has always been this way, with SpongeBob harming Mrs. Puff in some capacity, since day one. Now, I might have an issue or two with this writing decision (more in that Mrs. Puff only exists to be hurt because she is SpongeBob’s teacher, and not given much of a character outside of that), but in the context of this episode, I have no problems.

Anyway, after SpongeBob makes a pretty bad joke (which I think is out of character, he wouldn’t make light of something of this magnitude, imo), Mrs. Puff goes ballistic, which is well within her rights. It’s kinda funny seeing murderous rage depicted in this cartoon show. Also funny is the joke with the doctor tranquilizing both Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob. I’ve always liked that doctor character.

You know, I really like Mrs. Puff in this episode. Like I said earlier, it’s funny seeing her have actual homicidal rage towards SpongeBob, because it feels both out of place and perfect in this show, idk. And that’s coming from me, someone who prefers when SpongeBob gets along with everyone. But maybe I’m just ecstatic that we get to see more of Mrs. Puff for once, having her do something else other than simply teaching SpongeBob. Though I guess here she’s trying to get him killed/kill him herself. But hey, a woman needs hobbies, amirite? I also think that Mary Jo Catlett did a really great job, like better than usual, with Mrs. Puff in this episode.

The demolition aspect of this episode comes into play soon enough, as the casualties of the latest demolition derby come into the hospital, where they continue to demolish each other even though they’re in a med bay lol. This part is pretty entertaining, just like the doctor says. And Mrs. Puff gets an idea, which is actually a pretty good one, and that is to enter SpongeBob into this demolition derby. I say it’s a good idea because I can already see this will be funny. The whole set-up reminds me of “Krusty Krushers”. While that wasn’t the best episode, I still did like it well enough. And just like Captain Lutefisk says, SpongeBob’s actually a natural at this demolition derby stuff, considering what he’s like behind the wheel. So I love this idea.

We then get to the demolition derby, and it’s just as entertaining as I expected. Definitely better than “Krusty Krushers”, that’s for sure. Mrs. Puff’s cackling throughout the entire thing is great. And the action sequence of this whole scene is great and full of so many entertaining visuals. And of course, I love to see SpongeBob win in the most unlikely of circumstances. Once the chaos really gets started, as marked by Greenhorn Rag, things continue to be really amusing. I just love what I’m seeing! Mrs. Puff eventually has enough, and decides to take care of SpongeBob herself. And I love this part too, because Mrs. Puff is such a boss here. Where did she even get that insane vehicle? Speaking of insane, clearly Mrs. Puff has gone a little mental here, but I think she’s a little justified haha. And it’s fun to watch anyway, so who cares? And that’s a big thing about the reactions I see to this episode…like who actually cares LMAO. Just enjoy it. Or don’t. I guess I can’t be too mad at people making think pieces considering my “Stuck in the Wringer” review, huh? Anyway, Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob crash, and she’s able to regain her puff again, though her school crumbles in the process. Status quo is king.

“Demolition Doofus” was so much better than I expected. See what happens when I dislodge the 2013-2016 criticism stick from my butt? It’s so easy to enjoy things when people aren’t telling you that something is bad. And that’s the story of so much of these reviews, by the way. This episode was really funny, and crazy amusing. And I wonder if that’s because I like the Fast & Furious movies lol.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

Back