172a. Face Freeze!

SpongyMaterial

Moby Dollar
Oh, man! I LOL'd at this episode! I laughed so hard that I almost froze MY face!!! :funny: I love this episode so much that I'm giving it a 10/10!

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
lol @ Sandy's "gentle mammalian hands"
This was just a really weird episode... after Squidward got the face freeze I was ready for it to be done

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
This is now my second least favorite episode. It was very annoying to dealt with. Most of the faces were annoying and not that funny. Only laughed three times in the episode. 3/10

LeElephantMonster

Moby Dollar
Hey I tried to look at the cons of this episode, but there aren't many. The only thing I liked was Mr krab's story, and maybe when they were camping outside because that reminded me of the camping episode but other than that this episode was a complete wreck. After Mr krab's face froze I wanted the episode to be done with. His face was completely disturbing and so was squidward's. This episode was a waste of time and full of making freaky faces. I think the goal of this episode was to freeze the images in our heads because it certainly happened to me.

GoodNoodle

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Meh...It's just weird. I do like how Squid's face froze on a smile. It felt like a strange spiritual succesor to Hooky. 5/10.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
  • “Funny faces make me laugh!”
  • OK … I can see what they were going for. I remember reading/hearing one time that a lot of the episode ideas come from the writers' childhood experiences, so I'm guessing this is one of those episodes. We've all heard “your face will stick that way” before.
  • I'm really not a fan of these Ren-and-Stimpy-style designs. In fact, the weirdness of the faces kind of ruined the episode for me … if that makes sense. A lot of the time I was so distracted by the ugly faces that I didn't even notice the dialogue and jokes until I viewed the episode a second time.
  • Spongebob's Gary face reminds me of “I Was A Teenage Gary”.
  • “Let's combine whatever it is you get out of whatever it is you're doing with the quiet of sleep.”
  • “And you're a licensed masseuse, right Sandy?”/ “Well, I wouldn't say licensed.”
  • GSLDKJFSHDF waaaaay too ugly now. Urrrgh. Whhyyy? What's with the creepily realistic facial details? At this point I had to pause the episode and take a long, hard look at my life. I questioned why I was still a fan of the show. I wondered if I should just turn off the episode and pretend it never happened. But I don't like to leave things unfinished, so I took a deep breath and pressed the play button.
  • Those faces will haunt me forever. When I think about this episode, I feel a combination of shame and fear. It felt like a massive step backwards into Season 6 territory.
TL;DR
Had potential. Didn't reach it.

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
  • “Funny faces make me laugh!”
  • OK … I can see what they were going for. I remember reading/hearing one time that a lot of the episode ideas come from the writers' childhood experiences, so I'm guessing this is one of those episodes. We've all heard “your face will stick that way” before.
  • I'm really not a fan of these Ren-and-Stimpy-style designs. In fact, the weirdness of the faces kind of ruined the episode for me … if that makes sense. A lot of the time I was so distracted by the ugly faces that I didn't even notice the dialogue and jokes until I viewed the episode a second time.
  • Spongebob's Gary face reminds me of “I Was A Teenage Gary”.
  • “Let's combine whatever it is you get out of whatever it is you're doing with the quiet of sleep.”
  • “And you're a licensed masseuse, right Sandy?”/ “Well, I wouldn't say licensed.”
  • GSLDKJFSHDF waaaaay too ugly now. Urrrgh. Whhyyy? What's with the creepily realistic facial details? At this point I had to pause the episode and take a long, hard look at my life. I questioned why I was still a fan of the show. I wondered if I should just turn off the episode and pretend it never happened. But I don't like to leave things unfinished, so I took a deep breath and pressed the play button.
  • Those faces will haunt me forever. When I think about this episode, I feel a combination of shame and fear. It felt like a massive step backwards into Season 6 territory.
TL;DR
Had potention. Didn't reach it.

About stepping back in season 6 territory, I don't think that will happen. Because that episode was already released already in Canada sometime last June (I read that on the Wiki) so it's not really new, just for us. And plus, that was in season 8 so it was before and the newest episodes are good, and I usually base SpongeBob off of the newest episode. Now I didn't enjoy this episode too much, it still wasn't as bad as some episodes like The Splinter, Squidward's School for Grown Ups, Restraining SpongeBob and To Love a Patty. I'd give it a 5/10.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
It's time for Jibbix to be "that awkward guy in the room"!

I liked it. I really liked it. Maybe it's because, as a fan of things like Ren And Stimpy, and deranged animation in general, it just worked for me. Maybe after watching so much stuff in animation, I'm just desensitized to stuff like this. But honestly, I do not see how a face can look.....gross. Disturbing, maybe (and these faces weren't even disturbing to me), but not gross. Every design was wonderful. The faces were done in a way that made them look funny, which is what I guess they were going for.

The plot was definitely not something I'd expect from Mr. Lawrence. Felt really different. Like a Season 7 episode. Anyway, it was handled nicely. Nothing to honestly complain about from me. I liked the episode. Nothing fundamentally wrong. It wasn't too funny, but it was good. Best part: Snady paddling up to Spong and Pat and saying, "You need help." That was funny.

7.0/10, but only because it wasn't as funny as it could have been.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
The episode was funny in some parts, like when Squidward and Mr. Krabs got the face freeze, my main problem was that SpongeBob's face was creepy and somewhat depressing. I assumed the ending would be that Squidward's face freeze would make SpongeBob and Patrick laugh so hard that somehow they reverted back to their normal faces, kinda like how in "Not Normal", normal Squidward scared spongebob so much he turned back into his normal form.

Ugly Barnacle

I'm not really ugly, I just stink
This episode was very offbeat and goofy, but still good. I thought that the premise was cute and very creative. The faces were downright creepy, but I couldn't help but laugh. I don't agree that this episode is in Season 6 territory, but some of the animation did remind me of that terrible season. This episode could've been a Ren and Stimpy episode. I'd give it a 6.5/10 (Pretty good)

SpongeBuddy Sr.

Part Computer or Something
SpongeBob and Patrick make stupid faces.
Mr. Krabs warns them NOT to make stupid faces.
SB and Patrick continue to make stupid faces.
One of SB and Patrick's stupid faces gets stuck.
Mr. Krabs finds out they got the face freeze, and gets the face freeze.
Squidward gets the face freeze too.
The episode ends.

It's pretty overrated.

Dr. Peter Lankton

Giant Clam
It's fun seeing people complain about this episode. I just laugh at them for complaining that the faces wanted to make them throw up or hurl their tv out the window, please grow up you baby. Why did you even watch it in the first place? Oh, right post-movie haters like to complain about every single episode they watch after the movie.

Back on topic though, this episode was well...creative? I didn't find anything disturbing about the faces. The plot was sort of stupid though and it kind of reminds of Sailor Mouth when they're trying not to say those bad words.

Overall this episode was pretty wacky (in a good way), though I can't say I laughed a lot when watching this episode so...7/10.

Yece

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I felt like I was on something just by watching this episode. It's entertaining to look at their nightmare-fuel faces though.

9/10

Back