171b. InSPONGEiac

Insomnia

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Pretty decent episode, the nightmare was kinda cool it had some neat visuals. The only problem I had with this one was Mr.Krabs, he was such an ::dolphin noise:: in this.

6/10

Patty Sponge

Always Fear
While I hated Mr. Krabs at the beginning, it doesn't spoil a brilliant episode with SpongeBob's hilarious attempts at going to sleep (YOU'RE WASTIN' ALL ME MUSTARD BOY! - Mustard Dispencer Krabs)

8.5/10

Tuba95

Dead Inspector
The scenes with Patrick were amusing but Mr. Krabs and Squidward are both really annoying. I like the premise, and I actually liked the ending, so

5.5/10

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 8

Episode: InSPONGEiac

This episode was terrible. The plot was really weird (in a bad way). Some scenes were creepy (i loved some creepy scenes to be honest). Mr Krabs was really jerkish at the end when Spongebob was crying, and Squidward too (less than Mr Krabs, though). I only liked one or two jokes. 3.5/10

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
For some reason, I see a fair bit of hate for this episode on the SpongeBob wiki and I don't know why. Anyway, personally, I actually enjoyed this episode. Nothing amazing, but it certainly did have its moments. It seemed to be one of those episodes where the jokes don't hit as often, but when they do, they hit pretty well. I admit, Patrick and Mr. Krabs weren't at their best here, but I've seen worse from both of them ("One Coarse Meal" and "Yours, Mine and Mine" come to mind) and they still did have funny moments. ("It's not like I have a magic wand. Or do I?")

Anyway, I also found this episode fairly relatable, being someone who often has trouble sleeping at night. It definitely is with flaws, but is still fairly funny and overall an enjoyable experience for me. Leave it in the same category as "The Fish Bowl" and "I'm with Stupid," flawed, but good.

SCORE: 7.5/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
8/10
I enjoyed the episode. The thing I did not like was the Patrick scene.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
This episode is strange. I hated the beginning of this episode and the plot in general it was unoriginal and boring, We've seen SpongeBob struggle to get to sleep before in episodes like New Digs or Suds, Mr. Krabs telling SpongeBob he's an insomniac just because he's using a little too much mustard is honestly really stupid. Patrick didn't help this episode either he was acting stupid in an annoying way again. However I did actually like SpongeBob's dream it was pretty cool to see his imagination on the sleep-troll and other memories. The ending was also bad, it has the same moral as Stuck in the Wringer which is that Crying Solves Everything which I hope they never use that moral again because it's stuck in bad episodes like this and Stuck in the Wringer.

3/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Funnily enough this was one of the only episodes I caught on TV after I gave up on the show around 2008 and I hated this episode, however when I watched it again earlier this year my mind changed completely and I actually think this episode is very good!

I just love the plot of SpongeBob being an insomniac, it's very relateable and it makes for a plethora of fun scenes. I also thought Patrick was hilarious in this episode, one of the few times in seasons 6-8 where he shines really bright. Him reading the book of "The Land of Perpetual Excitement" among other things is hilarious, it feels much more like classic Patrick where he was trying to be a good friend and accidentally causes grief in hilarious and non-annoying ways. Not to mention the freak-out sequence is very interesting and does a great job tying in with the episode and has many interesting visuals. It also helps that there's a reason for this stuff to be happening. So over all this is a great episode with many good qualities... well it's close to being a great episode. I really didn't care for Mr. Krabs here, it makes no sense for him to be nit-picky, as long as the food is serviceable Mr. Krabs shouldn't care because all he wants is the money, a lazy beginning to one of my favorite season 8 episodes.

8/10

A very weird episode, but also very relatable. It's funny, got a decent story, and I think the idea of SpongeBob being an insomniac is great.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Planet of the Jellyfish (A)
5. Ghoul Fools (A)
6. The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (A)
7. InSPONGEiac (A)
8. Mooncation (A)
9. Mermaid Man Begins (B)
10. Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation (B)
11. Plankton's Good Eye (B)
12. Home Sweet Rubble (B)
13. Walking the Plankton (B)
14. Karen 2.0 (B)
15. The Way of the Sponge (B)
16. A Friendly Game (B)
17. Free Samples (B)
18. Sentimental Sponge (C)
19. Bubble Troubles (C)
20. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
21. Accidents Will Happen (C)
22. Fiasco! (C)
23. House Sittin' For Sandy (C)
24. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
25. Barnacle Face (C)
26. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
27. The Googly Artiste (D)
28. The Other Patty (D)
29. Bubble Buddy Returns (D)
30. Patrick's Staycation (D)
31. Oral Report (E)
32. Restraining SpongeBob (E)
33. Pet Sitter Pat (F-)
34. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (F-)
35. Are You Happy Now? (F-)

Juan90980

Imitation Krab
This episode I HATE it, it's literally a horrible episode where SpongeBob is tortured just because Mr. Krabs wanted to put the right amount of mustard on the Krabby Patties, Patrick is too much of a jerk and unfriendly, SpongeBob's nightmare sequence is too scary, and the ending is repulsive.

Simply a garbage episode, one of the worst of season 8 and one of the worst of the whole show.

0/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
BY FAR THE WORST SEASON 8 EPISODE I HAVE EVER WATCHED! Its so mean-spirited and i hated both Patrick and Mr Krabs. But Mr Krabs was way worse. (dolphin noise) you Mr Krabs!

Rating: Terrible Episode

Rankings:
Mermaid Man Begins (Perfect)
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Planet of the Jellyfish (Amazing)
Restraining SpongeBob (Great)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Karen 2.0 (Good)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
The Way of the Sponge (Good)
Plankton's Good Eye (Good)
Are You Happy Now? (Okay)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Ghoul Fools (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
Pet Sitter Pat (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Free Samples (Mediocre)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (Mediocre)
Home Sweet Rubble (Mediocre)
Bubble Troubles (Bad)
Barnacle Face (Bad)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)
House Sittin For Sandy (Inferior)
Bubble Buddy Returns (Ridiculous)
Fiasco! (Terrible)
InSPONGEiac (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well now, if it isn’t an episode I haven’t thought about in years, “InSPONGEiac”. The capitalization in the title is funny to me for whatever reason. Like…they had to emphasize that pun, huh?

This is such a small thing, but the Krabby Patty SpongeBob makes in this beginning part of the episode is so weird…like who puts the burger on top of the toppings??? That’s why they’re called toppings! But anyway, I love that this episode continues the running joke of Mr. Krabs being weird with his money by having him in a tanning bed full of money. Like who’s coming up with this stuff? Too funny. And of course, he’s gotta be a cheapskate, as he only gets out of his tanning bed full of money to tell SpongeBob he’s using too much mustard. I also think this is an interesting set up to the episode about SpongeBob being an insomniac. It kinda reminds me of “Pickles”. And just like that episode, SpongeBob starts suffering from a mental block, except this time it’s a mental block on sleeping. His sleeping problems are quite relatable though, being a part-time insomniac myself.

This episode also has so many interesting…art moments. Yeah, that’s what I’ll call them. From SpongeBob’s tired eyes in the title card, to another close up when he’s first trying to get to sleep, to the fact that Squidward’s house is completely missing during a shot of Conch Street. How did that last one even happen? At least that shows that backgrounds are not reused all the time I suppose.

With Patrick’s entrance to this episode comes a dread I’ve grown accustomed to, as when he suddenly appears in episodes it can be very…dodgy. But I actually liked his appearance here, so all is well. Him reading SpongeBob a bedtime story was a good role reversal for the two of them, even if it ends up with Patrick’s bedtime story getting extreme in a hilarious way. Even the part where Patrick starts singing his “lullaby” is pretty funny, especially with how it reveals pretty much everything you need to know about his childhood haha. SpongeBob being completely over it is pretty funny too. I’m not even annoyed by how Patrick completely doesn’t help things at all.

Things start getting pretty chaotic once SpongeBob drinks the coffee and starts running. He even starts seeing things that aren’t there, like the sea troll or the milk or the Mr. Krabs-Mustard hybrid, which pretty much shows that he’s most likely asleep by this point. This whole scene reminds me of “Procrastination”. We then get the reveal that he fell asleep in Gary’s litterbox, which is nasty, and then he goes to work in that nasty state. I wouldn’t say any of this is particularly funny, but it’s entertaining enough for me to watch. I don’t think very much of this episode is funny, to be honest. SpongeBob starts crying tears of mustard that are the perfect size, meaning that Mr. Krabs gets to capitalize on his sadness. All in a day’s work for capitalism, amirite? Just kidding! Mostly.

“InSPONGEiac” was…fine. I think the episode’s plot was mostly enjoyable, though on worse days I can easily see Mr. Krabs’ behavior as kind of irritating as you can’t really control being an insomniac (now if SpongeBob was staying up doing something unnecessary, that would be different). Other than that, I liked what I saw in terms of the plot. I also didn’t find the episode to be particularly funny, but that didn’t make me dislike it either. So, I’d say this is a high Good-tier episode.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.6/10

Back