169b. Planet of the Jellyfish

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
This was a pretty great episode. It had tons of great jokes like "some random guy" and "hold the mayonnaise". I especially like the time card gag near the end (Don't get me wrong, the Wet Painters one is still the best). My favorite part in this episode is when some jellyfied person goes "I like mustard" after SpongeBob goes "I hate mayonnaise and mustard". :rofl:

Katniss

totally coral
It would've been nice to see this as a special, but I still think this episode was pretty good, one of my favorites from season 8. It was a really cool sci-fi movie homage.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 8

Episode: Planet of the Jellyfish

This episode was terrific. The plot was really scary and creative. I also liked the references to older episodes. There were many funny jokes. 9/10

BobCarotte

meep
Well, this is my favourite Season 8 episode. It was nice to see SpongeBob and Sandy teaming up. The best part was "11 minutes later" :rofl:. I give this episode a 9/10.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
I adore this episode. Like, Top-10 material adore. Upon the time I reviewed it, I was stunned. I remembered hating this episode when it first aired, but upon rewatching it it just felt... perfect. It's really funny, full of several great gags, it gets every part of the homage just right, and it has a really fun story as well. Even if you haven't seen what it's parodying, "Planet of the Jellyfish" is just an episode I could sing utmost praise towards. Easily my favorite post-movie episode, and an easy 10/10.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
I really like the creepy feel of this episode, I think it did the horror-movie schtick much better than The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom. It had good action scenes, decent jokes like "Random Guy!" and it told a pretty good horror story maybe even better than Nasty Patty...nah that's stretching it too far. My only gripe about the episode is once again, Mr. Krabs wins in the end even though once again he had literally nothing to do with the episode but everything else is so good, that doesn't really matter that much. It's an amazing episode and definitely the best of this season so far.

9.5/10

Donuts

Floating Shopping List
I really liked this one. It felt like a special without all the padding that tend to make specials lackluster. And I'm a sucker for time cards.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
There are few episodes I love from seasons 6-8, but this is one of them. The plot was a brilliant parody of sci-fi movies and it managed to balance the creep factor with excellent humor. The plot was really engaging and interesting as well. This is my favorite season 8 episode and it really is amazing.

9.5/10

This is probably the best "horror" episode of SpongeBob. I may have forgotten some, but it's a lot better than I Was A Teenage Gary and SpongeHenge. I like the vibe, I like the jokes, and it feels very focused. It's a great episode, however it doesn't quite make up for its garbage sister episode.

Klu

Moby Dollar
You know, looking at older threads, it's strange how many people were considering season 8 as major improvment. Maybe it's not that gross as season 6 or mean-spirited as season 7, but season 8 was even worse - it was boring and bland. Hovewer, I must agree, there were some exceptional stand-outs, such as Frozen Face-Off, Sweet and Sour Squid, It's Spongebob's Christmas and this one.
This episodes is fantastic, in my opinion. It it rather fast-paced compared to the most season 6-8 episodes, featured many strong gags and had overall quite old-school-ish spongebob vibe.
It is THE best parody of B-movie type plots as for now, beating even Krabby Patty Creature Feature (KPCF holding back some similarities to previous episodes and slow beginning with unnecessary laugh-gag)
9/10.

I like this episode. It gets the whole horror story aspect correct, and I enjoy a lot of the jokes they sneak in. The plot is also really cool, and it's a very cool watch.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Planet of the Jellyfish (A)
5. Ghoul Fools (A)
6. The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (A)
7. Mooncation (A)
8. Mermaid Man Begins (B)
9. Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation (B)
10. Plankton's Good Eye (B)
11. Walking the Plankton (B)
12. The Way of the Sponge (B)
13. A Friendly Game (B)
14. Sentimental Sponge (C)
15. Bubble Troubles (C)
16. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
17. Accidents Will Happen (C)
18. Fiasco! (C)
19. House Sittin' For Sandy (C)
20. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
21. Barnacle Face (C)
22. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
23. The Googly Artiste (D)
24. The Other Patty (D)
25. Bubble Buddy Returns (D)
26. Patrick's Staycation (D)
27. Oral Report (E)
28. Restraining SpongeBob (E)
29. Pet Sitter Pat (F-)
30. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (F-)
31. Are You Happy Now? (F-)

Birds858

Floating Shopping List
I find this episode mostly medicore, it’s was not very funny but the plot was interesting.

6/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I really liked this episode! It was a big improvement after the slightly mediocre clutches of its sister. I like the horror vibe to this episode as well as the "hold the mayonaise" gag. I dont even like horror movies and i liked this episode!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
Mermaid Man Begins (Perfect)
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Planet of the Jellyfish (Amazing)
Restraining SpongeBob (Great)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
The Way of the Sponge (Good)
Plankton's Good Eye (Good)
Are You Happy Now? (Okay)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Ghoul Fools (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
Pet Sitter Pat (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (Mediocre)
Bubble Troubles (Bad)
Barnacle Face (Bad)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)
House Sittin For Sandy (Inferior)
Bubble Buddy Returns (Ridiculous)
Fiasco! (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Now that’s what I’m talking about! Y’all know I love the horror-inspired episodes, so do I even need to say anything here? And “Planet of the Jellyfish” involves jellyfishing, which is one of the SpongeBob hobbies that I’ve always liked, so this episode really is tailor-made for me, at least in this way. And this episode very clearly inspired Around The Clock at Bikini Bottom, so that’s yet another good association for this one to have.

I like how nothing about the Jelliens are explained in this episode, because I think it makes this episode more amusing to me. They’re just creepy jellyfish whose weakness is mayonnaise. And the Jellien King has a pretty cool design. There’s nothing more I can ask for. If this was a special, then maybe an explanation would’ve been good, but as it is it’s about as unexplained as The Twilight Zone.

Luckily for the Jelliens, SpongeBob is kinda an idiot, so they manage to get away with cloning Patrick, and spreading themselves across Bikini Bottom, with SpongeBob being none the wiser. But unluckily for them, SpongeBob is an idiot with plot armor LMAO. Nah but seriously, this entire plot is very entertaining for me, and there’s only so many ways I can say it. The set up of everyone becoming clones is great and the tension is built very well, intermixed expertly with some humor too. The foiled attempts of the Jellien to bite SpongeBob are pretty funny. Poor Gary doesn’t remain unscathed…but he does get a neat design from it lol.

Once we get to the Krusty Krab, things continue to be great, especially once we see the Jelliens’ hatred of mayo. Same, Jelliens, same. Though I don’t explode when I eat mayo, so. Maybe not same. Then SpongeBob finally figures out what’s going on, and seeing him try to act normal is pretty funny, considering the Jelliens probably have no idea of what normal is lol. The bit with the random guy (AKA Harold) is funny too.

Then we get the surprise appearance of Sandy, which thank god because she would never get herself cloned, she’s too good for that LMAO. Her interrogation of SpongeBob is pretty amusing, and when SpongeBob tries to Uno Reverse the accusation on her, I like how she just ***** slaps him. The bit with the two of them pretending to be Jelliens is pretty fun as well, and then when they get their cover blown we get a pretty great action sequence. We even get some fun quips at the end when they face the King Jellien. Mr. Krabs selling the King Jellien’s literal corpse has gotta be up there with the grossest endings LMAO. I mean I don’t actually feel disgusted, but logically…come on. And of course we end with “hold the mayo”, which begs the question…are the Jelliens actually gone? Does a preference for no mayo come with eating the literal corpse of the King Jellien? Who knows? I feel like I used to have a whole theory about this back in the day.

“Planet of the Jellyfish” is simply what an Amazing-tier episode is all about. It’s funny, it’s interesting, it’s entertaining, and there’s nothing bad I can say about it. So I won’t say anything else either. Let me just say that it's been a long time since I've seen an episode this atmospheric. Maybe since "Gone"? Or even "Graveyard Shift". I don't know, all I know is that it's been a while.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.6/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
This episode is just filled with great quote after great quote funny joke after funny joke great visual after great visual
Thoughts: its a very funny episode with great 1 liners it has those season 8 charm to it I really don't have a lot to say like are you happy now but both of these episodes are really good and are some of my favorite season 8 episodes

Tier Im putting it in: S Tier 10/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
This episode is just filled with great quote after great quote funny joke after funny joke great visual after great visual
Thoughts: its a very funny episode with great 1 liners it has those season 8 charm to it I really don't have a lot to say like are you happy now but both of these episodes are really good and are some of my favorite season 8 episodes

Tier Im putting it in: S Tier 10/10
yeah that sums it up right
  1. Frozen Face Off (10/10)
  2. Ghoul Fools (10/10)
  3. Planet Of The Jellyfish (10/10)
  4. The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (10/10)
  5. A Squarepants Family Vacation (10/10)
  6. Mooncation (10/10)
  7. Mermaid Man Begins (10/10)
  8. The Hot Shot (10/10)
  9. Are You Happy Now? (9.5/10)
  10. Oral Report (9.5/10)
  11. Drive Thru (9.5/10)
  12. Plankton's Good Eye (9/10)
  13. A Friendly Game (8.5/10)
  14. The Way Of The Sponge (8/10)
  15. Walking The Plankton (8/10)
  16. Squidward's School For Grown Ups (8/10)
  17. Sweet And Sour Squid (7.5/10)
  18. Sentimental Sponge (7/10)
  19. Accidents Will Happen (6.5/10)
  20. The Other Patty (6/10)
  21. Bubble Troubles (4.5/10)
  22. Fiasco! (4/10)
  23. Barnacle Face (3.5/10)
  24. Mr Krabs Takes A Vacation (3.5/10)
  25. Bubble Buddy Returns (3/10)
  26. Restraining Spongebob (2/10)
  27. The Googly Artiste (1.5/10)
  28. Patrick's Staycation (1.5/10)
  29. Smoothe Jazz At Bikini Bottom (1/10)
  30. House Sittin For Sandy (1/10)
  31. Pet Sitter Pat (0/10)

Back