169a. Are You Happy Now?

Donuts

Floating Shopping List
Jeez, did I really say 4/10? What I meant was 4/10, compared to the rest of the show. Compared to any other episode of any other show, it'd be a 10/10, because SpongeBob is perfect, but this episode is slightly less perfect.

Anyway, 4/10 is insane even in that context. I'd say about 7.5 or 8/10 now. It's pretty great and it is perfect, but it's not as perfect as the rest of the show.
Did you lose a bet or something?

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Seeing Supmandude unironiclly not only not giving a SpongeBob episode less than a 10 but a 4/10 is a sight to behold, even if it was past Supmandude.

I think it's time I actually posted my thoughts of this episode. (Rewatched it again; that was hard.)

So... you may or may not know that this is my least favorite episode of SpongeBob SquarePants. I don't know why the writers thought this was a good idea. I'm going to start off by saying that this contradicts way too many other episodes of the show, because Squidward HAS been happy numerous times throughout the show. For example, Band Geeks, House Fancy, Enchanted Tiki Dreams, and way more. Unless is somehow takes place before all those episodes (which I doubt is possible), this is an example of writers clearly not using their brains. This episode starts off with Patrick making a cameo in the dumpster. Patrick is never seen again and this is never brought up again, which makes that scene completely pointless unless Patrick being in the dumpster is supposed to be an omen for how this episode is going to be bad, because when Patrick's in the dumpster, things never turn out good (i.e. The Splinter and Little Yellow Book). The sad thing is that this is my favorite part of the episode, and things only get worse from here. Now we get to SpongeBob reading the Krusty Krab work schedule, and claiming that it's a book of his "happiest memories." I'm almost positive something similar to this happened in another episode as a one-time gag at most. But here, it's the main plot of the episode. Now Squidward comes in. It takes a bit, but then he asks SpongeBob, like always. SpongeBob asks Squidward if he has a happiest memory, then a TV error screen pops up. I get the joke, but it's not funny. Squidward seems to not care, but once a customer comes by, he does care? What is the logic? Whatever. After this is when SpongeBob tries to help Squidward find a happiest memory. This is nothing but STP. From him getting a violin stuck in his eye, his art being burned by Fiasco, and him being afraid of heights, all lead to the biggest problem of the episode, which are the suicide jokes is his state of depression. This is just sad, unnecessary, and begs the question: Why is the character that is supposed to be grumpy all of a sudden have real world depression? After this, we get SpongeBob trying to cheer Squidward up. Nothing much going on. And there's filler of SpongeBob talking to himself on the phone. Oh, yeah, and then there's the "party". The "party" is supposed to be the resolution to the episode. Let me just say this: They did it in the worst possible way. Squidward ripping up papier-mache SpongeBobs. Just... no.

So there you have. My review on the worst episode ever. When you mix filler, episode contradiction, unnecessary torture, suicide jokes, and a god-awful resolution, you get one terrible episode. 0/10.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Yeah honestly agree with you. The whole "happiest memory" thing is just so stupid it has to be seen to be believed. This episode actually makes me feel sad, you see Squidward go through a bunch of torture in the previous episodes, only for him the actually be depressed in this episode. It makes ZERO sense why they made him this sad all of a sudden, this is not something that should be played in a COMEDY show. Man, I know they want to go for a more serious episode, but this does it without respect, it makes Squidward so sad over something so stupid, that is actually offensive. I don't want to be that person that gets offended by everything, but this is probably the only episode that makes me feel this way. You can't go on an actual mental illness state (in SpongeBob) over something so mundane, it makes it look like people get depressed, but can fix it because they're just feeling sad.

In terms of a story, it's corrupt. SpongeBob tried to get Squidward to have a happiest memory, which is nice, but he keeps getting unluckily tortured, it's so sad. The whole tearing up SpongeBob paper bit, oh my god it literally makes me angry, and I wish I was kidding. They play it so serious only to have a joke ending, it's Back To The Past levels of inconsistent. A lot of this is just Squidward moping around at his house, which doesn't make for a good plot. The story isn't good, it's pretty bad.

There's not even really any comedy here, but even if there was, it would most likely clash with the sad atmosphere this episode portrays. I don't think they're smart enough to make subtle comedy to not ruin this tone.

This episode is Terrible: 1.5/10

Okay, so not much has changed. I found this episode a TEENSY bit better than what I said in my original review, but I still consider this one episode godawful. I feel like I didn't do a good enough job explaining why I hate this episode so much in my original review. So allow me to do that now. So let me just say something about the suicide jokes. They're not funny. I feel like the reason people like this episode is because the suicide jokes aren't real, and they try to fake you out for the lols. But it's not funny. It's not something a kid's shows should be doing, ever. I think that this is one of the worst things any cartoon can do, let alone one for kids. Squidward has turned from a stereotypical, grumpy neighbor to a clinically depressed man. Is this supposed to be funny? Let me just say that I didn't smirk once during the entirety of this episode. Look, if you want to want to make an episode that doesn't revolve around comedy, that's perfectly fine. But please, for the love of god, don't do it like this. I cannot bash this episode enough. It is THE most underhated episode in the whole show. Oh, and let me talk about that ending. Just awful. Make Squidward's happiest memory something actually GOOD. Look, it's nice that Squidward gets a happiest memory in the end, but his "happiest memory" is something that isn't even remotely funny. It's just amazing how Squidward can be affected by SpongeBob so much to the point where he's literally ripping up copies of SpongeBob to be considered "fun" for him. The only good thing about this episode is the fact that SpongeBob is actually trying to help Squidward. I no longer think this is the worst episode of the show, but it's still an extremely close second. I seriously hope that I never, and I mean never, have to sit through this mess again.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Ghoul Fools (A)
5. The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (A)
6. Mooncation (A)
7. Mermaid Man Begins (B)
8. Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation (B)
9. Plankton's Good Eye (B)
10. Walking the Plankton (B)
11. The Way of the Sponge (B)
12. A Friendly Game (B)
13. Sentimental Sponge (C)
14. Bubble Troubles (C)
15. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
16. Accidents Will Happen (C)
17. Fiasco! (C)
18. House Sittin' For Sandy (C)
19. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
20. Barnacle Face (C)
21. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
22. The Googly Artiste (D)
23. The Other Patty (D)
24. Bubble Buddy Returns (D)
25. Patrick's Staycation (D)
26. Oral Report (E)
27. Restraining SpongeBob (E)
28. Pet Sitter Pat (F-)
29. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (F-)
30. Are You Happy Now? (F-)

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
I Liked this episode. . . I Liked that Spongebob WAS Actually TRYING to help Squidward feel better; whenever Squidward had bad things happen to him here; it wasn't due to Spongebob's Idiocy; and Spongebob actually shows Genuine Concern for the Well-being of Squidward here.

In my opinion this is the worst episode of the entire series yes worse than one coarse meal, a pal for gary, and truth or square but why? the beginning is just bad but then spongebob takes squidward to make a happiest memory and it becomes a squidward torture episode. Also I think making a torture episode about someone in depression is a bad idea also the stick in squidwards eye was a very not entertaining moment. The we get to the part everyone agrees if awful squidward in his house in depression...... and he makes suicide jokes why? at least in one coarse meal you could say it's a part of the story sure it's awful there but here it's kinda offensive. Then it ends by saying squidward would be happy if he caused murder to spongebob. One of the worst parts is how realistic the depression is how do I know? Well currently your reading my review AKA the review of a man in depression right now.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I can totally see why people hate this episode but i thought this one was actually a mixed bag. The suicide jokes were not very funny and plus its kinda stupid but i liked this scene for some weird reason which was the highlight:
ezgif-4-bca29afed0.png

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Mermaid Man Begins (Perfect)
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Restraining SpongeBob (Great)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
The Way of the Sponge (Good)
Plankton's Good Eye (Good)
Are You Happy Now? (Okay)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Ghoul Fools (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
Pet Sitter Pat (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom (Mediocre)
Bubble Troubles (Bad)
Barnacle Face (Bad)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)
House Sittin For Sandy (Inferior)
Bubble Buddy Returns (Ridiculous)
Fiasco! (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Uh oh, another notorious episode. Though this episode is nowhere near as well-known as some of the entries on that list. And “Are You Happy Now?” is an episode I’ve always had a sweet spot for, and I say this in the interest of full disclosure. Perhaps this is hearsay to some, but that’s just how I feel, what else can I say? I really can feel the pitchforks coming this time...

This episode starts off with the French Narrator, which again I feel like it’s been some time since we’ve heard that voice outside of time cards, but I’m sure I’m being overly dramatic. When the episode properly begins, we see SpongeBob annoying Squidward by just being himself. And I love how he’s just being a little weirdo, laughing and smiling at what turns out to be the Krusty Krab work schedule. And from here, the episode gets dark quickly, as Squidward says that he doesn’t have a happiest memory, which is pretty sad when you think about it. Well, maybe not as sad as you might think, because I myself don’t have a happiest memory. I have plenty of happy memories, but there’s no memory where I’m like “this was the happiest time of my life”, and I think I’m better off for that lol. This episode clearly implies that Squidward has no happy memories though, so I’m not going to think too much about this.

I think it’s wholesome that SpongeBob tries to help Squidward find a happiest memory, and I think it’s a pretty good plot for an episode, when you don’t think of how dark and depressing it is, at least. And Squidward’s attempts being foiled is pretty funny. Also, Fiasco being in this episode is interesting given what the previous episode was. And wasn’t he a visual artist in “Fiasco!”, not a performance one? The hot air balloon attempt also had some great background art to go with it, so that was a double win there. I also love how random that attempt was compared to the other two.

The next part of the episode is where the infamous allegations really kick in, as Squidward is very clearly depressed. And the fact that the time skip was two weeks is…I’m trying not to think of that as intentional, but that’s a big coincidence too. In case you don’t know what I’m talking about, I’m referring to how the DSM 5 (and 4, I checked, since that’s the version that would’ve been used during production) says that to meet the criteria for Major Depressive Disorder, you have to be experiencing symptoms for 2 or more weeks. So…yeah, quite the interesting coincidence. Not to mention we get the infamous suicide jokes (which are nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe), and SpongeBob’s “at least we know he’s still alive”. I’m trying to decide how I feel about these. I don’t think they’re an affront to humanity, if that’s what you’re asking. I’m not even sure if they’re done in bad taste? Because I don’t see this episode as making light of suicide or even depression. I just think that this is a cartoon and they can’t get too dark or serious, so this episode does the best it can in handling a serious topic. Just…perhaps said topic shouldn’t have been handled? I don’t know, I think of suicide jokes and the handling of depression like this: are they sending a harmful message? Usually, it’s one of toxic positivity, but there’s a variety of bad messages that can be sent regarding these topics. And I don’t think this episode is doing that. I don’t think it’s sending any messages about depression at all. I think it’s just using it as a plot point. I can see why that is upsetting to people, but I don’t take much issue with it personally.

SpongeBob then kidnaps Squidward and takes him to the Krusty Krab, where he has set up a bunch of paper mache replicas of himself. Squidward then goes ham on those replicas, and you know what, good for him. It gives him his happiest memory, and keeps the real SpongeBob safe from harm. A win-win! And no, I don’t know what the handsome end line means, but if a SquidBob gets in my replies we’re going to fight so don’t start. I mean it.

“Are You Happy Now?” was a pretty enjoyable episode, and I say that with my whole chest. I’ve already said how I feel about it’s handling of depression, so I don’t think I need to go over that once more. I just liked what I saw, and there's nothing else I can really say. I think some people need to take a chill pill or 5, but I can understand the general disdain towards this episode. That's just not how I feel, though.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Uh oh, another notorious episode. Though this episode is nowhere near as well-known as some of the entries on that list. And “Are You Happy Now?” is an episode I’ve always had a sweet spot for, and I say this in the interest of full disclosure. Perhaps this is hearsay to some, but that’s just how I feel, what else can I say? I really can feel the pitchforks coming this time...

This episode starts off with the French Narrator, which again I feel like it’s been some time since we’ve heard that voice outside of time cards, but I’m sure I’m being overly dramatic. When the episode properly begins, we see SpongeBob annoying Squidward by just being himself. And I love how he’s just being a little weirdo, laughing and smiling at what turns out to be the Krusty Krab work schedule. And from here, the episode gets dark quickly, as Squidward says that he doesn’t have a happiest memory, which is pretty sad when you think about it. Well, maybe not as sad as you might think, because I myself don’t have a happiest memory. I have plenty of happy memories, but there’s no memory where I’m like “this was the happiest time of my life”, and I think I’m better off for that lol. This episode clearly implies that Squidward has no happy memories though, so I’m not going to think too much about this.

I think it’s wholesome that SpongeBob tries to help Squidward find a happiest memory, and I think it’s a pretty good plot for an episode, when you don’t think of how dark and depressing it is, at least. And Squidward’s attempts being foiled is pretty funny. Also, Fiasco being in this episode is interesting given what the previous episode was. And wasn’t he a visual artist in “Fiasco!”, not a performance one? The hot air balloon attempt also had some great background art to go with it, so that was a double win there. I also love how random that attempt was compared to the other two.

The next part of the episode is where the infamous allegations really kick in, as Squidward is very clearly depressed. And the fact that the time skip was two weeks is…I’m trying not to think of that as intentional, but that’s a big coincidence too. In case you don’t know what I’m talking about, I’m referring to how the DSM 5 (and 4, I checked, since that’s the version that would’ve been used during production) says that to meet the criteria for Major Depressive Disorder, you have to be experiencing symptoms for 2 or more weeks. So…yeah, quite the interesting coincidence. Not to mention we get the infamous suicide jokes (which are nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe), and SpongeBob’s “at least we know he’s still alive”. I’m trying to decide how I feel about these. I don’t think they’re an affront to humanity, if that’s what you’re asking. I’m not even sure if they’re done in bad taste? Because I don’t see this episode as making light of suicide or even depression. I just think that this is a cartoon and they can’t get too dark or serious, so this episode does the best it can in handling a serious topic. Just…perhaps said topic shouldn’t have been handled? I don’t know, I think of suicide jokes and the handling of depression like this: are they sending a harmful message? Usually, it’s one of toxic positivity, but there’s a variety of bad messages that can be sent regarding these topics. And I don’t think this episode is doing that. I don’t think it’s sending any messages about depression at all. I think it’s just using it as a plot point. I can see why that is upsetting to people, but I don’t take much issue with it personally.

SpongeBob then kidnaps Squidward and takes him to the Krusty Krab, where he has set up a bunch of paper mache replicas of himself. Squidward then goes ham on those replicas, and you know what, good for him. It gives him his happiest memory, and keeps the real SpongeBob safe from harm. A win-win! And no, I don’t know what the handsome end line means, but if a SquidBob gets in my replies we’re going to fight so don’t start. I mean it.

“Are You Happy Now?” was a pretty enjoyable episode, and I say that with my whole chest. I’ve already said how I feel about it’s handling of depression, so I don’t think I need to go over that once more. I just liked what I saw, and there's nothing else I can really say. I think some people need to take a chill pill or 5, but I can understand the general disdain towards this episode. That's just not how I feel, though.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.8/10
eyy another person who likes this episode

i genuinely think the first ''8 minutes'' of the episode are really great

this episode is weird tho, cause it feels like a S6 episode more than a S8 one

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
eyy another person who likes this episode

i genuinely think the first ''8 minutes'' of the episode are really great

this episode is weird tho, cause it feels like a S6 episode more than a S8 one
I agree, it definitely feels like it came from a different season.

Emma the Mermaid

Cute Patrick <3
This episode was just shown in the UK and they cut the bits where Squidward puts his head in the oven and hangs up a birdcage.

I'm curious, is it censored or cut in the USA or other countries?

Last edited:

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
This episode was just shown in the UK and they cut the bits where Squidward puts his head in the oven and hangs up a birdcage. I think they may have also cut the bit where he says "I might aswell go to bed for 100 years, wake me when I'm dead" but I don't remember.

I'm curious, is it censored or cut in the USA or other countries?
I think here in the US, the episode is banned from the main Nick channel. I think it airs infrequently on Nicktoons though at later hours. I don't think any of it is cut when it airs here

Back