169a. Are You Happy Now?

hfjs

The scene with Squidward's pet clam...........one of, if not, the worst season 8 moments.

Also, when Squid's destroying the fake Spongebobs..........looks like he's drunk........

The final line.................................................................whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Rocko's Milkmaid said:
The scene with Squidward's pet clam...........one of, if not, the worst season 8 moments.

Also, when Squid's destroying the fake Spongebobs..........looks like he's drunk........

The final line.................................................................whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
Well, I'm not surprised that they used a suicide joke in Spongebob. In fact, they actually did suicide jokes in other cartoons, back to Looney Toons for Pete's Sakes!

Looks like he's drunk? Looks more like he's snapped to the point where he needs to be put in an asylum!

And the final line, to me, felt like ................................ whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I actually didn't find this episode necessarily as bad as I used to, but it's still not very good. Squidward turned psychotic in the end (and made an unresolved ending) and Spongebob's last line was odd. Plus, I realize that they made darker episodes in the past, but this is a little TOO dark! At least One Coarse Meal had a somewhat better ending than this! Oh god... I actually defended this episode. I think I'm going to be sick...
puke.gif

heyfunboy

Baby Clam
The suicide jokes were LOL. Episode was a 5/10. As previous posters stated that the whole theme of this ep. has been done before.

Kumatora0203

Moby Dollar
Am I the only one who hates the title of this episode?
This episode was bad but not awful
5/10

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
SBManiac!!!!!! said:
Am I the only person on this topic who actually liked this episode? I thought it was pretty funny and that the visual gags were well done. (Then again, this is coming from a guy who likes to listen to They Might Be Giants, who gleefully sing about death and depression in many of their songs.)
However, I will admit that Squidward shouldn't hate SpongeBob ALL the freakin' time, and that I didn't like the ending either. (What the devilfish was up with SB calling Squidward "handsome" and why did I felt like the song "When Will You Die"* would've been appropriate for when Squidward was destroying the paper-maiche copies of SB?!?)

Either way, my final score: 7/10.

* It's not that I don't like the song (It's one of my favorites from TMBG, in fact), it's just that it shouldn't be used to describe SpongeBob!
I finally watched this episode again, and you know what? My opinion hasn't changed. I still think this is a well-written, funny, and sadly underrated episode.
The visual gags, are like I said before, top-notch, especially:
- static representing Squid's happiest memory
- Squidward opening the snow from the avalanche like a door and then locking it with a key
- SpongeBob coming out of the fax machine and being shredded by Squidward
- Squid's pupils being replaced with skulls

The scene where SB tries to call Squidward was also pretty funny, and I consider it the highlight of the episode. I also like how it's an episode revolving SpongeBob trying to help Squidward with his problems instead of annoying the crap out of him.

I only laughed at the noose/birdcage joke this time around, as I felt the baking/gassing gag was too brief for me to find it funny. (Yes, I think that prolonging a suicide joke makes it funnier. I sure am a sick ::dolphin noise::, aren't I?)

The problems, however, were still problems, such as Squidward going nuts and destroying all the papier-mâché SpongeBobs, when it's really out of character for Squid to hate SB with every fiber of his being like this. Also, "He's so handsome" still has to be one of the worst closing lines from an episode. It makes absolutely no sense, and turns SpongeBob into being gay for Squidward for no good reason yet again.

While the jokes were funny, they weren't "LOL" funny, either, and the ending is still too stupid for me to rate this anything more than an 8.

Once again, this is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

(I am also a major fan of creepypastas now, lol :P)

I bet many are inclined to ask me "why does Squidward's suicide joke make you hate this episode yet the toenail scene is perfectly fine for you?".

Let me elaborate a few examples here for you.:
For starters, the toenail scene happened relatively mid-episode, It was just a sharp, 5 second downturn that peaked right back up to normal after it was completed. It was a the cherry at the top of an ice cream sundae for a cherry hater, easily ignorable. However, the suicide joke happened very close to the ending, leaving a bad taste in my mouth after the episode ended. Squidward being an arse and telling SpongeBob he basically hated him despite his effort just hurt this episode even more.
Second of all, the cruel scene is nowhere near as harsh in "House Fancy" than it is in "Are You Happy Now?." In House Fancy, it's a somewhat forgettable, albeit graphic, toenail scene. It was abuse to Squidward, but it isn't something that could wear Squidward down, make others feel really sad for him, or make him realize depression. The suicide joke? That's a VERY deep and sensitive topic to some. When you see a character you care about, no matter how fictional, seeing even implied suicide is very heartbreaking; a 5-second, graphic toenail scene can't compare. It's like eating your ice cream, enjoying the cherry, but finding out at the end that your chocolate sauce at the bottom of the sundae lost it's flavor and tasted like literal crap. Even though the rest of the sundae was amazing, you can't ignore the horrid, crappy ending.
Third of all, the scene made us feel more remorse for Squidward in "Are You Happy Now?." Seeing your best friend talking about killing themselves, even implying it "jokingly", is enough to get your heart to skip a beat. Right? (and if it's not, you don't care about your best friend as much as one should care about their best friend, and of course, it's only for a millisecond where your heart skips a beat). That's simply human nature, whether the person is a fictional Squid or a person we love deeply. If you saw your best friend's toenail get ripped horribly, you'd run to get aid, but would your heart ache and skip a beat? Probably not.

That's why comparing these scenes are an apples to oranges comparison, they're too different in their own right to justify an argument.

DiabolicalGenius

Mad Scientist/ Evil Genius
Oh gosh, this episode is just so... NO. Seriously, what were the writers thinking? Poor Squidward deserves so much better than this and I don't even know if I have a happiest memory... Do you really need one? I wonder if that means I have no soul...

The jokes weren't good, the ending was weird, and poor Squidward getting that depressed and trying to kill himself... Poor guy. He deserves so much better than that. Poor Squidward.

Rating: 2.5 / 10 (Rated an extra 1 point for going to the Music Hall with SpongeBob)

SurprisedPatrik

Floating Shopping List
i am not happy now. you know why there are so many awful episodes? one writer. Zeus Cervas. he may not have wrote this horror episode. but i think the writers of this one were inspired by Zeus's works,A pal for Gary and one coarse meal. both take place in the death and horror genre. they also could have been inspired by Derek Iverson, He and Zeus came up with SQUIDS VISIT! YAAAY! THE PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR EPISODE!!! screw these writers and FIRE THEM

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Hey look its the sister episode of One Coarse Meal. How wonderful.

2000sKid

Giant Clam
Oh gosh, this episode is just so... NO. Seriously, what were the writers thinking? Poor Squidward deserves so much better than this and I don't even know if I have a happiest memory... Do you really need one? I wonder if that means I have no soul...

The jokes weren't good, the ending was weird, and poor Squidward getting that depressed and trying to kill himself... Poor guy. He deserves so much better than that. Poor Squidward.

Rating: 2.5 / 10 (Rated an extra 1 point for going to the Music Hall with SpongeBob)
I don't have a happiest memory either, don't worry ;)
But, this episode is decent. 5.5/10
It lost points only because of the suicide jokes. Not cool writers

Pyreflies of MJ

Imitation Krab
SBManiac!!!!!! said:
Am I the only person on this topic who actually liked this episode? I thought it was pretty funny and that the visual gags were well done. (Then again, this is coming from a guy who likes to listen to They Might Be Giants, who gleefully sing about death and depression in many of their songs.)
However, I will admit that Squidward shouldn't hate SpongeBob ALL the freakin' time, and that I didn't like the ending either. (What the devilfish was up with SB calling Squidward "handsome" and why did I felt like the song "When Will You Die"* would've been appropriate for when Squidward was destroying the paper-maiche copies of SB?!?)

Either way, my final score: 7/10.

* It's not that I don't like the song (It's one of my favorites from TMBG, in fact), it's just that it shouldn't be used to describe SpongeBob!

I actually liked this episode too! I didn't mind the suicide jokes and I thought it was sweet that Sponge went through so much trouble to give Squidward a happiest memory, even if it totally backfired. What I didn't like was the ending. Not what SpongeBob said (and we all know Sponge has been gay for Squiddy since the dawn of time), but the morose nature of Squidward's "happiness". I would have much preferred if the episode ended on a genuinely sunny note, it'd actually be one of my favorite episodes' then. Oh well.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Dark and very disturbing episode. I don't know what the writers were on when they came up with this. Now, the first half was okay. SpongeBob trying to help Squidward find a happiest memory was kind of funny, but hasn't there already been times when Squidward was happy? Does Squidward beating Squilliam in the Bubble Bowl in "Band Geeks", and having the fanciest house in "House Fancy", and living in the world of his dreams in "Enchanted Tiki Dreams" ring a bell? And, the more major problem with this episode was the second half with Squidward's "suicide attempts". Are you serious? I didn't find that funny in the slightest. I was just heart broken by what I saw poor Squidward going through here. The ending was no better for this depressing, sad episode. SpongeBob's line at the end was one of the worst endings ever for an episode" "Aw, he's so handsome!" REALLY? Writers, you made me sick. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for putting Squidward through this. For those who haven't seen this episode, skip it, leave it alone, and avoid it at all costs. You WILL be heart-broken. 2.5/10

SecretBox

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode is so depressing. I did chuckle at SpongeBob having more than one work schedule and Squidward putting paper SpongeBob into the shredder, but chuckles don't change my score. I think the only thing this episode really accomplished was that they made it more depressing than Good Neighbors. Good job writers! 1/10

Supmandude

Squog
This is one of the few episodes that people love to hate that I won't defend. I didn't think it was the worst thing ever and the jokes never went too far for my personal taste but come on, it's SpongeBob for crying out loud. Jokes about suicide just aren't really funny for a show like this. I actually do defend One Course Meal because unlike what Mr. Enter and others say, Plankton wasn't driven to suicide out of depression, he thought he was going to die and figured he may as well just give up. That's not a funny topic on its own but it wasn't a joke on its own, it was a plot device and Mr. Krabs wasn't portrayed as the good guy. This is a whole different level, though and even though I'm a fan of some dark jokes, this just doesn't feel like SpongeBob.

Not to mention they could have at least given Squidward a real happy ending. I thought they were going to tie him destroying the SpongeBob statues to the guy that destroyed his art before and he'd come in and be impressed by his destruction skills and he'd get popularity at the art museum for that. It seems like they set that idea up and didn't use it. It was a wasted opportunity to tie the two gags together and make Squidward's happiest moment something real instead of just him going crazy. 4/10

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
I'm starting to really dislike this episode but I don't know.... I used to enjoy it and ignore the fact that it's very despressing...... But now, I realize that this episode is freakin unlike Squidward! Why so depressed! Haaa, no continuity anyways @_@ It was cool seeing SB trying to make a happy memory for him but the plot is so disgustingly depressing.

Insomnia

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I actually kinda like what they did here. They took a character getting depressed over his main characteristic, that's actually a pretty decent idea. and at least this time when they some sort of reference to suicide they made a joke out of it (unlike One Coarse Meal) , it wasn't great but I'll admit it did get a laugh out of me it's a fairly adult joke, something the show pretty much never does nowadays. I like that Squidward actually wanted help from Spongebob here, and what was happening in the first few scenes was fairly funny. The only real problem was maybe they could have added more jokes during the 4 minutes Squidward was depressed. And I did like the ending with Squidward destroying all the Spongebob cutouts.

Personally I think this episode is over hated.

6.5/10

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Are You Happy Now?- NO IM NOT YOU SADISTIC WRITERS! DID YOU WATCH ONE COARSE MEAL AND DECIDED TO MAKE AN ENTIRE EPISODE ABOUT THE SAME PLOT, JUST HAVE SQUIDWARD INSTEAD OF PLANKTON? THATS JUST EVIL AND STUPID! Side Note: It did not have the same plot to One Coarse Meal, just felt like it.

Back