165b. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This is both a Squid Torture and Patricks a jerk episode. And both done the wrong way. This is a terrible episode, that scene where Patrick eats Spongebob and Squidward's backstage pass infuriates me. Also that scene where Patrick goes on stage and orders food, like, why? And Patrick doesn't get Punished at the end, but Squidward does. Squidward just wants to go to a concert, is that too hard to ask? There isn't anything to redeem this episode, it's another Spongebob annoy Squidward episode.

0/10

PinkPearl

insert title here
Ah, one of the episodes that made me less interested in the show. Not only is it unfunny, but it's boring and not amusing at all. I don't dislike it because there is Squid abuse in it, but because it's handled badly. As someone said before me, Patrick literally comes out of nowhere just to make Squidward miserable. Just a failed attempt at humor, really. 2/10.

Fondue Pot

Delicious
SpongeBob was nice to Squidward, and Kelpy G appeared...that's all of the good things that I have to say.

Never before have I wanted to punch Patrick so hard. Oh yeah, he also appears just for a couple of """jokes""". Also, this is a pretty boring episode.

2/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I agree with everyone else here. This episode is truly horrible, the worst of season 8. Even worse than "Pet Sitter Pat". I don't know where to even start with this one. It's insanely boring with very few jokes. What is here is unfunny and repetitive. Everything seems to be out for Squidward here and it's SO REPETITIVE. We get it, everything hate Squidward! Tell some actual jokes already! In this episode they defy logic just to make Squidward's day bad, nothing makes sense and it's very annoying. Also this is probably Patrick's worst appearance in the show, the attempts at jokes are horrible to say the least. The nacho gag was one of the worst gags I've seen and the entire series, and that isn't even his worst moment in the episode! He has no reason to do anything he does, he just ruins the plot and makes me want to punch him. The witty and funny humor that Patrick can have is utterly destroyed. Patrick should've been removed from the episode, all he does is just make the episode nearly-unwatchable due to his annoyance. Patrick seems to not care at all for doing anything and eating the backstage passes, yet he gets rewarded! While Squidward gets punished for committing the heinous crime of wanting to go to a concert. Old Patrick had a motivation and idiotic logic behind his stupidity. He could come off as a jerk but he still had a heart and you can see why he would do his actions, but this episode had to be a train-wreck I guess. I hate this episode to say the least.

0.5/10

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
Ughhh... this episode was actually decent until they got to the place where Kelpy G. was performing sure it was a little slow but it didn't do anything wrong, however after that this episode went completely downhill. WHY THE HELL WAS PATRICK EVEN IN THIS EPISODE! He did not need to be in it, he was irrelevant and he made this episode absolutely horrific. SpongeBob wasn't exactly an angel either his actions on the bus were annoying and his wooing and shouting got really irritating. Now on to the main problem, it's a Squidward torture episode all he wanted to do was meet his idol Kelpy G. but NOOOO our writers pet SpongeBob had to meet him just to beat down Squidward even more and do I have to mention Patrick again? Why was he not being shouted at by the other Squids? Why was he being carried in the spotlight? Why the ::dolphin noise:: does he deserve it ughhh! It's a shame because this episode had potential but it just got turned into a mess.

1/10

Night Shadow

Imitation Krab
thedirtybubble said:

There's no topic for this episode yet so I thought I'd make one. It was pretty nice seeing Kelpy G again. I think he's a pretty cool character. There were several moments that made me laugh in this one such as the other squid's at the concert (loved the big guy that took Squidward's seat), the lemonade stand, Patrick eating SpongeBob and Squidward's backstage passes, Patrick being allowed backstage and given that huge sandwich to eat as if he was best buddies with the backstage crew, etc. Kelpy G knocking Squidward down and loving SpongeBob's music so much was very funny. When I first read the episode description I thought this would be boring but I didn't expect it to end like that and thought it was much better than I'd thought it'd be. I give this an 8/10.
Come and say that to my face. This episode is abs. Atrocious!

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
Lol, I saw this episode for only the 2nd time today. Kinda fun to watch cuz it was pretty much a new episode to me. But it was ehhh

Sky_Nova_20

Frozen Cephalopod
I liked this episode and I thought it was decent. Yes, I know there has Squid Abuse, but I don't really mind it. It's kinda annoying how Patrick ate the backstage passes. He was annoying in this episode, but I liked when he said: Na-chos.
Squidward wanted to visit Kelpy G and then he pushed Squidward and found his clarinet playing horrible. I find SpongeBob's ukulele playing to be decent.

Rating: 7.50/10

EDIT: Now I started to get annoyed by the Squidward Abuse and I hated the ending and I find it more annoying that Patrick ate the backstage passes. SpongeBob wasn't that bad in this episode, but he was a bit annoying. The best part was the part that Squidward "wanted" a lemonade, just because he don't want to be in the concert with SpongeBob. The beginning was okay, SpongeBob playing his ukulele was great, Patrick saying "Na-chos" was funny. But the execution of this episode was meh. The ending is one of the worst endings in Season 8. I hated the ending as much as I hated the endings in Face Freeze, inSPONGEiac, House Sittin' for Sandy, and Are You Happy Now?. 6/10

Ignore this. Old news and crap. I watched it multiple times and it made really very terrified. The older I got, the more I hated the episode. I started to act like Squidward in real life lately. I even found SpongeBob to be more annoying than before, but not like Choir Boys/Boating Buddies level. He wasn't bad, but just annoying. Patrick made this episode even worse. He came out of nowhere and it was just awful when he ate the backstage passes. Even in the beginning where he ate his ticket. The Na-chos thing isn't even funny to me anymore. Why did I even say that? Oh boy, I don't know. I also don't like how the people treated Squisward that badly, especially the fat fish, the fat with the headphones/hat, Kelpy G and worst of all, the squids/octopuses, thinking that he had no knowledge on smoothe jazz, but that is because of SpongeBob. Another thing is the big octopus where he took Squidward and SpongeBob's seats. Squidward wanted to have a good day, but it actually failed. The ending was even worse. Yes, Squudward is a terrible clarinet player, but receiving this treatment is just horrible. He had no luck in the beginning either when he called multiple times to get into the concert and while SpongeBob became the 100th caller, I believe? Yes, after that, things changed. It was just not a good episode and definitely one of the worst Season 8 episodes. In before, people will say that I based on the others. No, I didn't. I tend to change my mind sometimes and being more knowledgeable on episodes than before is what makes my opinions change. I can watch Good Neighbors many times and still find it meh, but this one is just bad, especially for Season 8.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Smoothe Jazz @ Bikini Bottom (S8-E165-B)

I HATE THIS ::dolphin noise::ING EPISODE!!! It's full of Squidward Abuse. I ::dolphin noise::ing hate it when Patprick Star eats both Squidward and SpongeBob's backstage passes just because he wants nachos. The ending, where Kelpy G chose SB instead of Squidward, is ::dolphin noise::ing mean-spirited. I'll never watch this ::dolphin noise::ing atrocious episode EVER AGAIN!!!

Best Character: :sbx: & :squidx:

Worst Character: :patx: (for eating SB and Squidward's backstage passes)

Best Part: none

Worst Part: Patrick eating SB and Squidward's backstage passes. :facepalm: :thumbdown:

Final Score = 0/10 :patboo: (Season 1-3 version Patrick Star reacting to Season 4-9 version Patrick Star here in this ::dolphin noise::ty episode.)

Patrick is annoying, seeing Squidward is depressing, and the whole episodes is horrible. I don't think this episode would be that bad if it was just SpongeBob and Squidward, but add Patrick and it's a horrible mess of a terrible excuse for an episode.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Ghoul Fools (A)
5. Mooncation (A)
6. Mermaid Man Begins (B)
7. Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation (B)
8. Plankton's Good Eye (B)
9. Walking the Plankton (B)
10. A Friendly Game (B)
11. Sentimental Sponge (C)
12. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
13. Accidents Will Happen (C)
14. House Sittin' For Sandy (C)
15. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
16. Barnacle Face (C)
17. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
18. The Googly Artiste (D)
19. The Other Patty (D)
20. Patrick's Staycation (D)
21. Oral Report (E)
22. Pet Sitter Pat (F-)
23. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (F-)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode is quite boring. Patrick actually saved this episode from being an outright borefest, yeah he comes literally out of nowhere but it made me at least get a little interesting. Other than that there wasn't anything else that memorable.

Mediocre Episode (4.5/10)

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
This is for the original episode. For the season 12 rip off, see "Krusty Koncessionaires"

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Old review

BRUH I LOVE THE SCENE WHERE PATRICK EATS SQUIDWARD'S BACKSTAGE PASS!!!!However i might think this episode is funny but i do have my cons. My con here is the ending which shows Squidward torture sure the previous scene i mentioned above counts as that too but for me that wasnt torturey enough

Dont kill Me.... 10/10 Amazing...

Last edited:

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Words cannot explain how much I hated this episode. Patrick is irredeemably obnoxious, selfish, and shoehorned, Spongebob is constantly showing very little respect for Squidward's peers, and Squidward spends the beginning of the episode super excited for his concert, only for the rest of the episode to go into this constant cycle of conveniently slipping unfortunate, then fortunate, then unfortunate events for Squidward; thus continuously slapping me in the face for assuming that this will actually turn out to be a good day for Squidward. Not a single joke in here landed because the only jokes that they actually tell here relate to Patrick's "stupidity" and the overall cringe-worthiness of Spongebob acting really loud and random as opposed to the squids.

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I used to like this episode when i was younger but i thought it was okay. It has some funny moments like the scene with Patrick ordering food on the stage and a lot of the jokes were funny. But its an episode where i hated Patrick.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
Mermaid Man Begins (Perfect)
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
Plankton's Good Eye (Good)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Ghoul Fools (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
Pet Sitter Pat (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
Barnacle Face (Bad)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)
House Sittin For Sandy (Inferior)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
The first thing I have to say about “Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom” is this: why is ‘smoothe’ spelled like that? Because that’s not how you spell smooth. The second thing I have to say is this: I quite enjoy jazz. I don’t typically listen to smooth jazz, but I like it well enough too. I like more energy in my jazz. And then the third thing I have to say is this: is this episode infamous or not? I honestly have no idea. Back in the day I thought people hated it, but that was most definitely because of that one reviewer that I will not be naming today. And I mean, in discussions of the worst episodes in the show, I don’t think I normally see this one pop up, though I also haven’t seen such discussions in some time. I have taken a peep at the discussion post for this episode before writing the review, and it seems to be negative, but it also only has 3 pages, which is nothing compared to some other entries.

Y’all already know what I’m gonna say as this episode begins—gorgeous background oh my god!! Just fantastic. This is me, of course I’m gonna say this. And coupled with that smooth jazz…oh yes. That’s a vibe. The fact that Squidward’s socializing is so swayed by the music he’s listening to is so relatable (I say as someone who is not swayed by the music I listen to at all). SpongeBob saying the code word for not liking the music is such a red flag though…like who doesn’t enjoy some smooth jazz???? Bombastic side-eye. I’m kidding, by the way, just to be clear. SpongeBob’s dramatics about the concert being sold out were fun though, and I liked them paired with Squidward’s faux ones when he reveals that he actually bought a ticket.

And right here, when Squidward is lampshading the exact thing that’s about to happen to him, is where the episode begins to lose me. See, it’s not even that Squidward losing the ticket “due to some manner of folly” that irritates me. It’s that it’s yet again Patrick, and not even that, but Patrick doing something stupid. Why do we have 3 episodes in a row of this kind of behavior? Please make it stop. And yeah, I’m not exactly a fan of Squidward’s concert experience being immediately ruined like this either, but I don’t know if it’s fair for me to critique that since I do enjoy Squidward’s life being foiled in other ways. I don’t know what it is about this one that bugs me though.

SpongeBob manages to win the free tickets from the radio, and he offers to have Squidward go with him. Now, I like this. Have this episode just be about SpongeBob and Squidward, and we’re great. It’s Patrick that’s the issue. That’s always been the issue, as far as this season goes. I don’t know what’s going on but none of Patrick’s dynamics and interactions have been right this season. But whatever, I’m going to ignore that and go back to enjoying the SpongeBob and Squidward dynamic here. SpongeBob is very much me when going to concerts, so he doesn’t quite fit the vibe of a smooth jazz concert. Same, SpongeBob, same. Now, to be fair, I fit the vibe of my concerts because I’m a metal and punk fan, but still lol. These people could use some excitement, but maybe they’re more…subdued in their presentation of excitement. People judging Squidward for SpongeBob’s actions, though, make them jerkwads, just saying. And it’s kinda annoying.

Just as I was beginning to truly enjoy myself, the episode decides that I wasn’t annoyed enough earlier, so Patrick appears yet again. You see how it wasn’t necessary to include him, and yet here he is? This, of course, leads to Squidward’s concert experience being completely ruined as he ends up losing his seat and getting kicked out of the show. It’s not very pleasant because there’s nothing to actually laugh at. Patrick eating SpongeBob and Squidward’s backstage passes isn’t even funny, it’s just lazy and annoying. If you’re going to have SpongeBob and Squidward lose their backstage passes, make it happen in an interesting and funny way. And it doesn’t help that Patrick somehow gets away with everything he does, but SpongeBob and Squidward don’t. Like why does Patrick get crowdsurfed, but SpongeBob get booed (before the concert even begins, might I add)??? It’s nonsensical.

At least SpongeBob and Squidward manage to get into the backstage after Patrick (somehow) leaves it. Though they are quickly stopped by Kelpy G’s manager. And then we get another not entertaining sequence that ends with Squidward first groveling and then trying to bargain his way into meeting Kelpy G through his clarinet playing. Of course, no one likes Squidward’s clarinet playing, but SpongeBob’s ukelele? Well, that’s actually good. See, I don’t mind SpongeBob winning in this episode because I like seeing him win. But it’s weird to see him win and Squidward lose when for the most part, they’ve been working like one unit in this entire episode, with Patrick playing more of an antagonistic role. Now, of course, at the end Squidward does earn his loss because his ego gets in the way, but other than that everything is pretty unsatisfying regarding Squidward.

“Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom” was…not that good. It has its moments for sure, but overall there’s just so much unpleasant stuff in here, particularly where Patrick is concerned. If the Patrick stuff was gone, this episode would’ve been great, actually. Also, did you know that Kelpy G was voiced by Rodger Bumpass? I didn’t. Great voice work, there.

Episode Tier: Mediocre
Episode Score:
5.6/10

Back