164b. Pet Sitter Pat

hasfarr

your mom

Another episode that aired tonight. My thoughts as the episode goes on:

Guest star Marion Ross? Yay! Gramma's back!

The mystery of Gramma's age continues...

Squidward is probably still having second thoughts about pet sitting Gary, after the last time...

Of course SpongeBob's gonna trust Patrick to pet sit Gary... never trust a genie Patrick.

"I am the most responsible guy you know!" Yeah, right.

Patrick has to poop... until the nighttime...

Poor Gary. This is pretty much just another episode where Patrick acts stupid.

Gary Jell-O? Tasty.

Patrick is covering his tracks well.

Oh, great. Gary has rabies.

Not really.

Another call from SpongeBob.

Ouch.

Patrick's a pretty old-fashioned guy.

Flamethrowers don't make Gary happy.

The bath came to Gary... and this time, it worked!

That's not dry...

Well, SpongeBob's gonna have to pay a lot for the water bill.

And the clean-up...

And the veterinarian's bill...

SpongeBob is pretty worried about Gary.

He has a good reason.

An explosion of water!

Gary's reading PATRICK the bedtime story?

And SpongeBob notices nothing bad.

It was okay...

7/10... again.

Perry The Platypus

....What?
This was like Drive Thur, in that it has a simple premise in which all heck breaks loose, and it's funny.

Exactly what Spongebob should be\

Grade: A

Ugly Barnacle

I'm not really ugly, I just stink
I actually liked this episode a decent amount. I mean there was nothing really bad about it. It reminded me too much of "I was a Teenage Gary" (the whole taking care of Gary while SpongeBob's gone/not feeding him thing) except with Patrick not Squidward, and "Gary Takes a Bath" (Gary avoiding to take a bath and having the bath "come to him") but their were a lot of funny parts, like SpongeBob as Gary talking to Squidward, and Grandma not being able to blow out the candles. I will give this episode a 6/10. I only saw the end of "Barnacle Face", when it was on it before this episode today.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
This is one of the first times I actually fell out of my chair laughing when seeing an episode for the first time. The scene where the house flooded was maybe the best. Overall, 87/10.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
This was a good episode. Sure, the babysitting plot has been used many times over the years for tv shows but who cares with this one, I liked Pet Sitter Pat! It was funny, the side plot was cool with a nice return to SB's grandma and yea, overall, a nice addition to season 8 :)

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Now, before I made my request and review topic, I didn’t remember this episode. AT ALL. The thing that got me to remember this episode was a deviantart “Animated Atrocity” note by MrEnter, which is right here (WARNING, SLIGHTLY INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE AHEAD!!!): http://mrenter.deviantart.com/art/Mr-Enter-s-Notebook-Pet-Sitter-Pat-439430352

After seeing that, I thought “Huh, is it really THAT bad?” So, because I haven’t seen it in a while, I watched the episode again on YouTube, and boy was he right in what he said about it. To me, it’s not the worst episode ever, but it is DEFINITELY in my Bottom 3! This is basically another Gary Torture ::dolphin noise:: with Patrick as the torturer. While Patrick’s bad behavior is somewhat more believable than Spongebob’s in “A Pal for Gary”, it’s just as cruel. Even though Gary was wrongly punished in APFG, at least he wasn’t horribly injured in the process. Here, Gary is forced to go through just as much, if not more cruelty, than in A Pal For Gary. And who is the torturer? Why it’s the no good sack of dog poop PATRICK! I mean, he starves Gary and eats the food right in front of him. He floods the house after a miserably failed (and horrific) attempt to give him a bath. And after all that, he decides to watch the TV, which is broken. And what the heck is with the freaking scene with the flamethrower?! I mean, to wash Gary, Patrick goes ahead and uses A FREAKING FLAMETHROWER!! WHAT PET SITTER (OR OWNER) DOES THAT??? I swear, that scene is just so horrible and messed up that it’s unfortunately gonna stay in the back of my mind until the day I DIE. Oh, and about the ending. Yeah, I like how Spongebob cared for Gary here, but there are two things wrong. One, considering all the stuff that Patrick has put Spongebob (and pretty much everyone else) through, just why would Spongebob think that Patrick would make a good pet sitter? And two, I find it incredibly mind-boggling how Spongebob returns to his house and finds Gary reading a bedtime story to Patrick, and doesn’t even question 3 things. One, the fact that Spongebob’s bed is NOWHERE to be found, and that in place of where it should be is a giant pile of ashes. Two, the fact that there is water all over the place and it looks like the house has flooded. And three, THE FACT THAT HALF THE HOUSE IS IN RUIN!

My god, I’m not sure whether to call this worse or not as bad as A Pal For Gary. This episode is a complete Gary torture fest with horrible writing, lots of unnecessary cruelty, and one of the worst, most messed up scenes in the show (WHY WOULD YOU USE A FLAMETHROWER, OUT OF ALL THINGS, TO GIVE A PET A BATH???).

-5/10 (my 3rd least favorite episode, only beaten by A Pal For Gary and Gone)

Growlie

Best Boy
GordokTheMad said:
Now, before I made my request and review topic, I didn’t remember this episode. AT ALL. The thing that got me to remember this episode was a deviantart “Animated Atrocity” note by MrEnter, which is right here (WARNING, SLIGHTLY INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE AHEAD!!!): http://mrenter.deviantart.com/art/Mr-Enter-s-Notebook-Pet-Sitter-Pat-439430352

After seeing that, I thought “Huh, is it really THAT bad?” So, because I haven’t seen it in a while, I watched the episode again on YouTube, and boy was he right in what he said about it. To me, it’s not the worst episode ever, but it is DEFINITELY in my Bottom 3! This is basically another Gary Torture ::dolphin noise:: with Patrick as the torturer. While Patrick’s bad behavior is somewhat more believable than Spongebob’s in “A Pal for Gary”, it’s just as cruel. Even though Gary was wrongly punished in APFG, at least he wasn’t horribly injured in the process. Here, Gary is forced to go through just as much, if not more cruelty, than in A Pal For Gary. And who is the torturer? Why it’s the no good sack of dog poop PATRICK! I mean, he starves Gary and eats the food right in front of him. He floods the house after a miserably failed (and horrific) attempt to give him a bath. And after all that, he decides to watch the TV, which is broken. And what the heck is with the freaking scene with the flamethrower?! I mean, to wash Gary, Patrick goes ahead and uses A FREAKING FLAMETHROWER!! WHAT PET SITTER (OR OWNER) DOES THAT??? I swear, that scene is just so horrible and messed up that it’s unfortunately gonna stay in the back of my mind until the day I DIE. Oh, and about the ending. Yeah, I like how Spongebob cared for Gary here, but there are two things wrong. One, considering all the stuff that Patrick has put Spongebob (and pretty much everyone else) through, just why would Spongebob think that Patrick would make a good pet sitter? And two, I find it incredibly mind-boggling how Spongebob returns to his house and finds Gary reading a bedtime story to Patrick, and doesn’t even question 3 things. One, the fact that Spongebob’s bed is NOWHERE to be found, and that in place of where it should be is a giant pile of ashes. Two, the fact that there is water all over the place and it looks like the house has flooded. And three, THE FACT THAT HALF THE HOUSE IS IN RUIN!

My god, I’m not sure whether to call this worse or not as bad as A Pal For Gary. This episode is a complete Gary torture fest with horrible writing, lots of unnecessary cruelty, and one of the worst, most messed up scenes in the show (WHY WOULD YOU USE A FLAMETHROWER, OUT OF ALL THINGS, TO GIVE A PET A BATH???).

-5/10 (my 3rd least favorite episode, only beaten by A Pal For Gary and Gone)
I don't know about you, but If someone I thought I trusted, had a Flamethrower on my cat....they'd be dead! Done! I'd kill them!

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Growlie said:
I don't know about you, but If someone I thought I trusted, had a Flamethrower on my cat....they'd be dead! Done! I'd kill them!
Yeah, I'd do that too, honestly. I mean, that scene with Patrick trying to give Gary a bath with the FLAMETHROWER is so sadistic and messed up that I wanted to murder Patrick at that point!

Growlie

Best Boy
GordokTheMad said:
Yeah, I'd do that too, honestly. I mean, that scene with Patrick trying to give Gary a bath with the FLAMETHROWER is so sadistic and messed up that I wanted to murder Patrick at that point!
And we could get away with killing an animated character more then we would a real-live person.

Homie

get outer my space!
Yeah, that sums up what I wanted to do to Patrick in this episode. It's easily the worst episode just due to how awful he truly is. It makes Yours, Mine and Mine or I'm With Stupid look like hes flawlessly characterized.

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Patrick's a monster in this one. He doesn't feed Gary, he chases Gary down with an effing flamethrower, and he was just a complete idiot to the point where it got annoying.

DON'T KILL ME FOR THIS, GORDOK AND MR. ENTER. To be honest, I like this episode. Yes, I do. I liked it when I was it first and I watched it again and I still like it. I know It had Gary abuse and I know Patrick was very stupid and I agree Patrick using flamethrower to bath Gary was horrible (one of the worst moments in this show) but the reasons that I liked this episode is that SpongeBob was actually worry about Gary and I loved that he wasn't oblivious like himself in A Pal for Gary. He came to his house to rescue Gary and you can see that Gary was fine at the end of this episode. Also I loved the part with Gary attcked Patrick. This is definetly a better version of A Pal for Gary, which had worse Gary abuse than this episode. The surprising thing is that people didn't say this episode rips offs "I Was a Teenage Gary", to be they are very same.

Also I did laugh at some parts in this episode. Here's couple of them.

Squidward: Look what that disgusting pest did to my substainable kelp garden! He chewed it up, ruined it!
SpongeBob: Gary, is that true?
Gary: [smiles and shows mouth full of kelp bits] Meow.

- Patrick mistaking snail food for bath soap.

Patrick: "Oh, now we gotta dry you off. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any salt." (Is it bad that I laughed at that joke? I like dark humor, deal with it.)

- Patrick seeing Gary moving on water and saying "Sheesh, Gary! Well, if you wanted another bath, why didn't you just ask?"

- The ending.

I did feel bad for Gary too and I hated Patrick's actions in this episode too but I still like it. SpongeBob was likeable and Gary was fine at the end of this episode. I can understand why many people hate this episode though. 7.5/10 (One of the weakest season 8 episodes but still good)

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Yeah, it's just Patrick being really really stupid for 11 minutes (kind of like in "The Card" rather than an outright jerk like in "Yours Mine and Mine" IMO) and not understanding what he was doing wrong and I really wish they had made it clearer as to why Gary starts to like Patrick more after they play in SpongeBob's flooded house. It's very close to being a plothole right there. At least SpongeBob actually gives a ::dolphin noise:: about Gary in this episode though he was kinda gullible to believe that Patrick of all people would make a good pet sitter. Anyway, I was really expecting this to make me as angry as "A Pal for Gary" but somehow it just comes across as being really meh than anything else. At least the story was a lot more coherent than that episode, cough cough. 5/10.

SecretBox

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I think that Mr. Enter was exaggerating when he said that this episode is a terrible remake of A Pal For Gary. The only humor A Pal For Gary had was SpongeBob's obliviousness when this episode had actual humor. The best moments in this episode was SpongeBob's Grandma struggling to blow out the candles and Patrick trying to give Gary his bath. It still has some problems like Patrick's obliviousness being annoying at times and I didn't like the joke where Patrick chases Gary with a flamethrower. It's far from being a bad episode, but it's one of the weaker season 8 episodes. Although the ending made no sense, it was still pretty funny. 6/10

Back