162. Ghoul Fools

Kerdem

Banished
I Watched This One Today.Its Definitaly Best Special I've Seen Since Friend or Foe... And My New Favourite Season 8 Episode...

10/10 (Very Interesting And Creative)

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 8

Episode: Ghoul Fools

This episode was good. The plot was good. I liked the appearance of The Flying Dutchman. There were many funny jokes. 8/10

MrTortellini00

lame funny
That ending... it was so weird. It makes me very confused about if I even like the story. At least I liked the jokes in it. 7.5/10
"Where is my pizza?" Forget that, have some tortellini instead.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
This episode was a little slow to begin with but as the episode progressed it got funnier and more epic. I liked the gag with the donut, Squidward acknowledging his torture and the song was pretty decent. Even though I think it would be more fitting as an 11 minute episode they did manage to throw in some funny moments as well, there wasn't much filler and it told a pretty decent story.

7/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
The story needed some work here and there but it was quite funny and interesting so I think it's a successful special.

8/10

TheHallMonitor52

Imitation Krab
HIGHLIGHT:The song (especially the instrumentals)
LOWLIGHT:The donut gag

This is imo one of the most solid episodes of season 8, a very good episode with cool designs and a fun song snuck in there

9/10 excellent episode

Klu

Moby Dollar
How in the world this episode is comparable to the first three seasons? I don't think that it's bad, it's just meh. Many jokes were predictable and slow, Patrick is jerk once again (big jerk, no less), and overall episodes seems kinda pointless. I'd rather made this episode Ghostbusters parody or just focused on one conflict. At first it's story about Spongebob and Patrick getting their souls back. Okay, fine. But then it's transformed into conflict about getting ghost pirate's treasure and then there is characters locked in their worst hightmares, and then there is the conflict with the Flying Dutchman.
This episode lacks any focus, being really slow-paced, it's kinda an achivment on it's own.
5/10

Another good Season 8 special. It's got that Halloween feel, it's got a couple funny jokes, and it's a nice watch. I'd recommend it for Halloween.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. Ghoul Fools (A)
5. Mooncation (A)
6. Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation (B)
7. Walking the Plankton (B)
8. A Friendly Game (B)
9. Sentimental Sponge (C)
10. A SquarePants Family Vacation (C)
11. Accidents Will Happen (C)
12. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
13. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
14. The Googly Artiste (D)
15. The Other Patty (D)
16. Patrick's Staycation (D)
17. Oral Report (E)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Meh thats all i gotta say

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
Mooncation (Good)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Patrick's Staycation (Okay)
Ghoul Fools (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)
Walking the Plankton (Bad)
A SquarePants Family Vacation (Inferior)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
How are we already at another 30-minute special? Season 8 you’re testing me, you really are. Luckily, I like this special too, so you get a pass this time season 8. This time.

“Ghoul Fools” is another staple on my Halloween marathon, and so that’s probably one of the reasons I like it, since I’ve seen it so much and it has that Halloween flair. I like when episodes are spooky, though this one is 99% played for comedy, except for maybe one aspect of it, but I’ll get to that later. Last time I watched this episode, before Halloween, I watched it with my roommates, which was fun! It’s always more fun to watch things with other people, because I think you just enjoy yourself and laugh more. I was definitely having a good time.

The beginning of this episode is nice and peaceful, not to mention it has a pretty funny joke snuck in there, “it calms my inner demons” (…you good, Patrick?). The cloud-watching reminds me of “Pressure”, which is always a nice association for an episode to have. Though of course this episode does the thing where Patrick doesn’t know who other main characters are which as always annoys me. It annoys me extremely when it’s done with Sandy, and it still annoys me, to a lesser degree, when it’s done with Mr. Krabs here. Can we please stop doing this?

One thing I really like in this episode are all the production touches. First we’ve got the designs, of both the flying houseboat and the ghosts inside, both of them look really cool. And then I loved how the flying houseboat brought night along with it, that looked really, really cool to me. And then there are other production things I enjoy, like the title card music, or the song that happens later in the episode, and as always the voice acting is stellar here. So really I like this episode from a visual and audio standpoint, it seems.

Anyway, back to the episode’s content, SpongeBob and Patrick go inside the houseboat on Patrick’s insistence, and they think it’s a haunted house. Which I guess it is, but in the most literal sense. This episode feels like a great precursor to “Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom” now that I’m thinking about it. I love how poor SpongeBob is terrorized at every opportunity, it’s hilarious. The snake part has got to be the best. Or maybe when SpongeBob gets taken into the closet, that had me rolling on the floor.

We then meet Lord Poltergeist, who’s a fun one-off character, I like him a lot. Even though The Flying Dutchman will always have my heart as our premier ghost character, it was nice to see another ghost for once too. Not to mention we still see my fave later in this episode anyway, so it’s a win-win. Patrick’s complete obliviousness is fun as well. It reminds me of “Shanghaied”. We then get the really fun song of the episode, Ghouls O The Briny Deep, which as I’ve already said, is really good. It’s a pleasant listen, and has all kinds of fun visuals, so this is a win for me. And there’s even a Gary appearance, so that’s another win.

Also, this episode does something pretty great. Okay other episodes, take some notes. It makes Patrick a bad friend to SpongeBob…for a joke only. And that’s it. Amazing how that’s so much better than all these episodes where he’s a bad friend for the entirety of the 11 minutes, isn’t it? And the joke is that the ghost even lampshades that Patrick is being a bad friend. So the episode is poking fun at itself. You see how this is so much more entertaining? Can we please continue to do this, and not that other crap? Pretty please?

SpongeBob and Patrick then get dragged into a ghostly plot as they’re forced to get a gasket for the crew. This part of the episode is also really funny, as it uses…well I wouldn’t call it awkward humor, but it does that thing where the tension is completely undercut so that a joke can be made, if that makes sense. What I’m saying makes no sense unless you’re familiar with this part of the episode lol, so I’ll move on. SpongeBob and Patrick then proceed to act like idiots (in a good way) as they run into the Krusty Krab all freaked out by the ghosts. And because they go to the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs now gets involved in the episode, which I’m perfectly fine with because this is a special after all. Sandy also gets involved, as she’s interested in ghost-catching. And of course, Squidward gets in on this too, because he has the unfortunate position of being at work and desiring a break room LMAO. And of course, this show has to get in one little commentary about greed with Mr. Krabs’ line.

Back at the boat, things continue to be pretty entertaining and funny. Squidward critiques the art and furniture, and Mr. Krabs gets stoked about money. And no wonder Mr. Krabs bathes in money, he doesn’t believe in germs. Lord Poltergeist then turns a bit antagonistic (understatement) once Mr. Krabs and everyone (but SpongeBob as he’s but an honest lad, and Sandy because she doesn’t care) try to get away with the gold. The void of everyone’s greatest fears is great and pretty funny, I love how nonchalant Squidward is about it too (it works even better when you think about how he’s had experience with this with “SB-129”).

However, Lord Poltergeist ain’t nothing compared to the real antagonist of the episode, the Flying Dutchman. SpongeBob phoning the Dutchman is hilarious, as like I said, he is but an honest lad. After he gets double crossed by Lord Poltergeist and his crew yet again (LP is rather stupid for this LMAO), he turns himself into a literal nuke and nukes everyone into the void. Pretty funny ending to this great episode, if you ask me.

I really like “Ghoul Fools”, it’s just excellent Halloween fun, and it never misses. After season 8’s pretty rocky start, it definitely needed two amazing episodes like this one and the last. Let’s hope the rest of the season can keep this up, or at least do better than it has been.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.5/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
oop this review posted twice, so now this is here lol

Bmv277

SoBob RetroPants
honestly screw it, im giving this one my first 10/10
if some have you have seen my other posts (in particular the one i did on squidward in clarinetland) you would know i liked that episode for its visuals, but was a little dragged down from its somewhat barebones story
well this is basically the same thing, but the story aspect is actually extremely strong!
introducing new ghosts into bikini bottom is a great idea in general, if this was with the flying dutchman it definitely wouldve felt like diet shanghaied or something, but they didnt go that route!
gladly as well, the new characters are great
their designs might take a little getting used to due to how differently they stray from other ghost designs on the show, but i personally found them very nice regardless
plus theyre just very charming in general! you especially see this in their song number (which slaps HARD btw)
one of my favorite aspects has to be the void scenes with patrick squidward n mr krabs
this is what i meant by "basically the same thing" when comparing my enjoyment of squidward in clarinetland
the visuals are freaky in the best way possible, love that big green spongebob in squidwards
patricks void scene is just hilarious too, i love the donut guy and his voice
one of my other favorite parts of this episodes is the ending especially, with the flying dutchman wreaking havoc on the characters on the ship, with a little grotesque yet amazing scene where he becomes a BOMB and his face and menacing laugh layered on top of the explosion
it makes dutchman feel like a force to be reckoned with, moreso than most specials do, even the halloween ones
the last scene in the krusty krab in the void is definitely the cherry on top, very charming scene
i love the bill from the donut guy and the green spongebob randomly getting the dutchmans face
im genuinely surprised how much i like this episode (also how much i wrote about it-)
definitely a BIG hidden gem in these later seasons

Last edited:

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
We haven't gotten a GREAT like REALLY great special since season 5 SpongeBob squarepants is good but this one is REALLY GOOD
  1. Frozen Face Off (10/10)
  2. Ghoul Fools (10/10)
  3. A Squarepants Family Vacation (10/10)
  4. Mooncation (10/10)
  5. The Hot Shot (10/10)
  6. Oral Report (9.5/10)
  7. Drive Thru (9.5/10)
  8. A Friendly Game (8.5/10)
  9. Walking The Plankton (8/10)
  10. Squidward's School For Grown Ups (8/10)
  11. Sweet And Sour Squid (7.5/10)
  12. Sentimental Sponge (7/10)
  13. Accidents Will Happen (6.5/10)
  14. The Other Patty (6/10)
  15. Mr Krabs Takes A Vacation (3.5/10)
  16. The Googly Artiste (1.5/10)
  17. Patrick's Staycation (1.5/10)

Back