158b. The Googly Artiste

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
I don't get the hate for this episode. While this one is not great, it's not too bad. I like the idea of Patrick becoming an artist. It's fun to him being appreciated and famous.
However, I don't understand the support for Squidward in this episode. He's not being tortured in this episode at all. He's not even sympathetic here. Just extremely egotistical.
Patrick is actually not a jerk in this episode at all. He is himself here. Same with Spongebob.

This is the most overhated episode of Season 8. There is not really anything wrong with this episode. All complaints for Patrick are petty and unjustified. He did not really do anything wrong, and he wasn't trying too. Squidward is unsympathetic here. He's just a show-off.

7/10

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
Oh boy this wasn't a good watch. The episode was pretty mediocre throughout the whole thing, the pacing was slow, it was dull, there was hardly any jokes (apart from the Gambling one), the plot was uninspiring and very boring and the whole thing just felt like a bad rip-off of Artist Unknown, but they had to make it worse with that horrible ending. Seriously why does Mr. Krabs win in the end? He literally had nothing to do with the episode until 10 minutes in and he won? Also Squidward gets punished for no reason that's what bugged me most, he literally did nothing to deserve it unlike Squid's School for Grown-Ups. Definitely one of the worst episodes I've seen so far of this season and I don't want to see it again.

2/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Wake me up when it's over.

I did like the joke about Squidward's gambling problem though.

3.5/10

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episoode: The Googly Artiste (S8-E158-B)

I don't like this episode that much. Squidward's dream of being an artist was ruined by the art critic just because the art critic loves Patrick's childish rock art with googly eyes. Squidward and SpongeBob's art looks beautiful and divine to me. I even don't like the ending too. Better if Squidward has the happy ending too, not just SpongeBob. Just decent and mediocre.

Final Score = 4/10

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
I love this episode! It's number 19 on my 100 best episodes list. For comparison, the poster boy for the number 1 episode, Band Geeks, is at number 27.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
This episode isn't abysmal, but it definitely isn't good. It's just a pain to watch because of how boring and condescending it is to Squidward. Around this time the show had a bad habit of giving the win to someone who definitely didn't deserve it, and Patrick definitely didn't deserve the win here. Seeing Squidward's hopes and dreams get crushed is a good plotline only so many times, and this episode was way past that mark, especially since it didn't even try to be funny.

A very light bad episode. I wasn't all that entertained by this episode, nor did I find too many jokes funny. It's also pretty forgettable, too.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Frozen Face-Off (A+)
3. Drive Thru (A)
4. A Friendly Game (B)
5. Sentimental Sponge (C)
6. Accidents Will Happen (C)
7. Sweet and Sour Squid (C)
8. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (C)
9. The Googly Artiste (D)
10. The Other Patty (D)
11. Oral Report (E)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
Plot: (0/10): This episode is my LEAST favorite episode of the show. Patrick becomes a jerk to Squidward, and sells trash googly-eye rocks, and people like it (I'm talking about the bottomites, not you people)? Really doesn't make sense, and is just really dumb. This is most boring, unlikeable, and unfunny episode ever!

Humor: (0/5): Not only is it dumb, but is unfunny as heck. Even the few jokes in this episode, either made me cringe, or were just not funny. Nothing in this episode screams unfunny. Not even a single chuckle.

Visuals: (6.5/10): Even with the bad plot, and the unfunny jokes, at least this episode maintains the uglyness of season 8. There's also not much gross-out, which is probably this episode's ONLY quality.

Episode score: 65 points.

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Eh i thought this one was a mixed bag. Its really nice and funny but it has a lot of uncalled for Squidward torture and its very boring.

Rating: Okay Episode

Rankings:
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Oral Report (Great)
A Friendly Game (Great)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Sentimental Sponge (Good)
Frozen Face Off (Good)
Sweet and Sour Squid (Good)
The Googly Artiste (Okay)
Drive Thru (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)
Squidward's School for Grown-ups (Mediocre)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Oh I remember this one, this was that episode that was taken way too seriously by “critics”, right? Yeah…good times, good times. Other than that little tidbit, this isn’t an episode I’ve ever felt too strongly about, other than being annoyed by Patrick. So I wonder if this is still going to hold up today.

I suppose the greatest sin of this episode is that it’s kind of boring from the outset. An episode all about Squidward’s art being critiqued is not exactly interesting content. And when an episode begins with the track Tip Toe Through the Seaweed, I already feel bored (even if the track is good on its own, just used in the most boring moments). Very few of the jokes in this episode land well, and the rest of it is just kind of middling. It does just barely enough to keep me engaged, but I’m still not happy.

The second big sin of the episode, which isn’t actually very much of a sin, is that it continues the unfortunate trend of making Patrick a jerkwad for absolutely no reason. Now, to be very fair, Patrick is hardly that much of a jerk in this episode. He really only has like…2 moments. So his jerkness is actually way overblown. BUT, I don’t really like Patrick here even with this in mind. I’m kinda just bored of him, and apathy is not a thing I want to feel about anything in this show. I fear I’m being too harsh on Patrick, being too influenced by old reviews circa like 10 years ago, but I feel the way I feel, you know?

This episode does have its good moments though. Like the part with the critic and Squidward was pretty funny, especially when he’s all like “I’m a critic; I don’t make things, I judge things.” Like that’s very clearly a dig at the actual critics of the world, and I love it. It makes me think of that one little review and it so very missed the point—this episode is about Rotten Tomatoes type critics, not little nobody YouTubers like let’s be serious. Am I being mean? I don’t care lol because it’s fun. Anyway, the guy who is clearly addicted to art is pretty funny too. And the interaction between SpongeBob and Squidward about his “gambling problem” is hilarious. I also liked when Mr. Krabs finds out that Patrick’s selling his art in the Krusty Krab, it was funny. And I know I’ve said this before, but I like when this crustacean wins by being a horrible cheap person LMAO. It’s just enjoyable.

I suppose I should also make mention of how “The Googly Artist” is similar to “Artist Unknown”. I actually don’t think the episodes are that similar, definitely not enough to warrant calling this one a rip-off, especially because the messages of the two episodes are, in my eyes, connected yet distinct. This episode is about the nature of criticism, while that episode was more about what constitutes “real art” (and the answer is anything). I’m sure that this episode was inspired by that one to some degree, but I also think it was inspired by the real experiences of the writers and such working in the entertainment industry. And not in a “getting back at the critics” way, that’s just asinine.

“The Googly Artist” was much better than I remembered, but it still wasn’t very great. I was just kind of bored throughout most of it, other than some funny and enjoyable moments here and there. There were also a few Patrick scenes I didn’t like. But other than that, this episode is decent and harmless.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.8/10

Sponge64

New Kelp City's Mayor
Man. I just want to comment "Eh." but I've committed myself to giving short paragraph reviews. Look, it's an episode. That's for sure. Some jokes were funny, but they didn't make me laugh. Didn't hate it, but not a highlight.

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
we were doing good season 8... WHY?! as a artist who draws stuff this episode was kind of insulting i dunno if its a joke but this episde is very insulting for me aka someone who likes to draw
  1. Frozen Face Off (10/10)
  2. The Hot Shot (10/10)
  3. Oral Report (9.5/10)
  4. Drive Thru (9.5/10)
  5. A Friendly Game (8.5/10)
  6. Squidward's School For Grown Ups (8/10)
  7. Sweet And Sour Squid (7.5/10)
  8. Sentimental Sponge (7/10)
  9. Accidents Will Happen (6.5/10)
  10. The Other Patty (6/10)
  11. The Googly Artiste (1.5/10)

Back