154b. The Hot Shot

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: The Hot Shot (S8-E154-B)

I LOVE THIS EPISODE!!! ITS FIERY AND INTENSE!!! I love hot rods. At the ending, it became mediocre.

Final Score = 9/10

My second favorite boating school episode (Mrs. Puff, You're Fired is my favorite). The jokes are funny, the plot is great, and it's cool to see a plot where someone is a bad influence towards SpongeBob, and they pay the price for it. And the execution is great as well.

Ranking so far:
1. The Hot Shot (A+)
2. Drive Thru (A)
3. Accidents Will Happen (C)
4. The Other Patty (D)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This is by far my favorite boating school episode it so excellent! Its super fiery and super intense and super INSANE! I also like this jokes in this episode.

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
The Hot Shot (Perfect)
Accidents Will Happen (Great)
Drive Thru (Alright)
The Other Patty (Meh)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Now that I think about it, it’s been a while since we’ve had a Boating School episode, hasn’t it? I feel like the last time was in season 6, unless we count “Summer Job”. All this means that this episode was sorely needed. Well…maybe not this episode, considering my feelings towards it, but a Boating School episode was. I also didn't realize that I have such an unpopular opinion about "The Hot Shot". Oh well!

Let it be known that I’m not typically a fan of jerkwad characters. I also don’t typically care for in-universe celebrity characters. Tony Fast Jr. is both of these, and he is no exception to my typical rules. I also think that racing is one of the least interesting of all sports, so…not great for this episode. I get why they went with this plot here, but the child of a racing legend doing driver’s ed is not interesting to me, so that’s a little bit to this episode’s detriment. I don’t understand why we couldn’t have just had the literal racing legend in the episode. Just have him get a traffic violation like Squidward in “Boating Buddies”, and be forced to complete some classes. Why do we have to have their child? It feels like an unnecessary choice that puts distance between the actual interesting part of the plot, which is an expert driver being in boating school, and being forced to drive with SpongeBob. But, of course, it all depends on what the episode does with this plot too.

'Well…the episode kinda doesn’t do anything with it. It’s rather boring, if I’m being honest. I do like that this episode kinda provides an explanation for SpongeBob’s bad driving that will be expanded on in I believe “Bumper to Bumper”. Unfortunately, that’s kinda the end of anything especially good coming out of this plot.

As for the rest of the episode, it’s…meh. The very beginning just barely manages not to give me secondhand embarrassment. Also it felt really forced because why would all these people clap when the Fasts weren’t even there yet, and when someone else was walking in? They could’ve done that better. Additionally, everything just feels slow in this episode, and not in a good way. Maybe it replicates Tony Fast Jr.’s approach to driving, but even I know that that’s a stretch. Also, it’s kinda weird how Tony Jr. just like…becomes friends with SpongeBob I guess, but like nothing actually indicated that happening until he just let SpongeBob in his house. I don’t know if I’m explaining myself very well, but it almost feels like there was a missing scene or piece of dialogue or something. Idk. It makes the episode feel kinda disjointed.

There are a few things I like in this episode though. I mean for one thing, the last 2.5 minutes are really enjoyable, and what I’d been wishing I’d been seeing all along. SpongeBob is hilarious, and the street race is fun to watch (with a guest appearance by Larry!), especially once we enter full chaos mode with the cops and Tony Fast himself coming after the two. And then when SpongeBob completely snaps, I’m dying laughing.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.2/10

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I think this is a solid episode. Not the best by any means imo, but a pretty good one. I don't think the episode is the funniest, but it has a nice little story. It's cool how Tony Jr. unexpectedly becomes friends with SpongeBob, but later is shown to probably not be the best influence on him. You gotta give him some credit though! He had SpongeBob driving well for a while! I don't have a whole lot more to say about the episode. While I don't think this episode is that funny, it's still pretty entertaining.

Back