152a. Big Sister Sam

Zee

Flying Dutchman's Sock
"Oh wait, I don't have a sister." Anyone remember that quote by Patrick?

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
I didn't really care for this episode much. I never really liked it since its premier. I don't really know why though.

6/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
What's worse than an episode where Patrick's annoying? An episode with essentially two annoying Patricks!

2/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Pinhead Larry said:
This episode is actually really funny, you gotta love Sam in a way.

8.5/10
Hugely agree!

How can a SpongeBob episode deserve hate? (Someone above said that..) Its like saying you hate SB...Anyways, I liked this episode, I thought it was funny and it might made a good impression to me because it aired for the first time here in Greece on January 14, 2012 and we actually adopted my little doggy Yuyi on January 12, 2012 and I was really happy these days...There were some funny moments as well...Patrick wasn't stupid as some people here claim him to be, he was just feeling upset because they hated his sister...but I do agree that this Sam was really overprotective, she wasn't really a bully to me eyes, just an overprotective sibling...I've seen situations like this in real life too. I am giving it an 8/10

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Big Sister Sam (S7-E152-A)

I HATE THIS EPISODE!!! I hate when Big Sister Sam destroys both SpongeBob and Squidward's houses for no reason, leaving them homeless. SpongeBob and Squidward convinced Patrick to control her sister Sam, but instead, Patrick doesn't care about it. Patrick and Sam are both jerks in this episode. I rather watch 3 My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic sisterhood episodes (Sisterhooves Social, Maud Pie and Forever Filly) than this ::dolphin noise::ty episode because these episodes are bright and friendly, unlike this ::dolphin noise::ty, mean-spirited episode.

Final Score = 0/10

One thing I gotta say is that Patrick has to have the most destructive sister ever. And he's so oblivious about it! I think this one could have worked but the execution was very lackluster.

Ranking so far:
1. That Sinking Feeling (A+)
2. Earworm (A+)
3. The Inside Job (A+)
4. The Great Patty Caper (A)
5. Whelk Attack (A)
6. Tunnel of Glove (A)
7. The Abrasive Side (A)
8. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (A)
9. Buried in Time (A)
10. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
11. The Wreck of the Mauna Loa (A)
12. Enchanted Tiki Dreams (A)
13. Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (B)
14. Growth Spout (B)
15. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
16. Krusty Dogs (B)
17. Greasy Buffoons (B)
18. A Day Without Tears (B)
19. I Heart Dancing (B)
20. SpongeBob's Last Stand (B)
21. Karate Star (B)
22. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
23. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (B)
24. Kracked Krabs (C)
25. Gary in Love (C)
26. Love That Squid (C)
27. Shellback Shenanigans (C)
28. The Cent of Money (C)
29. Model Sponge (C)
30. The Masterpiece (C)
31. The Curse of the Hex (C)
32. Sponge-Cano! (D)
33. Back to the Past (D)
34. New Fish in Town (D)
35. The Play's the Thing (D)
36. Tentacle-Vision (D)
37. Hide and Then What Happens? (D)
38. The Main Drain (D)
39. Gramma's Secret Recipe (D)
40. Big Sister Sam (D)
41. You Don't Know Sponge (E)
42. Summer Job (E)
43. Rodeo Daze (E)
44. Trenchbillies (E)
45. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
46. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
47. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
48. A Pal for Gary (F-)
49. One Coarse Meal (F-)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Patrick i thought you and me were friends! I HATE YOU IN THIS EPISODE! Yes this is my least favorite episode of the show there are so many things wrong here!

0/10 Hellish

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Patrick i thought you and me were friends! I HATE YOU IN THIS EPISODE! Yes this is my least favorite episode of the show there are so many things wrong here!

0/10 Hellish
Still terrible but not my least favorite anymore. This is one of the very few episodes where i actually HATE Patrick. Not a good season finale.

Rating: Despicable Episode

Rankings:
Enchanted Tiki Dreams (Perfect)
Earworm (Amazing)
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
The Wreck of the Mauna Loa (Great)
That Sinking Feeling (Great)
The Inside Job (Great)
The Main Drain (Good)
Buried in Time (Great)
The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (Good)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
Love That Squid (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
Karate Star (Good)
Krusty Dogs (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Shellback Shenanigans (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
The Cent of Money (Okay)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Gramma's Secret Recipe (Alright)
The Masterpiece (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
The Great Patty Caper (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Sponge-Cano! (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
The Abrasive Side (Bad)
Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (Bad)
Whelk Attack (Bad)
Tunnel of Glove (Bad)
Hide and Then What Happens? (Bad)
New Fish in Town (Bad)
Rodeo Daze (Awful)
The Curse of the Hex (Awful)
Trenchbillies (Terrible)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
Big Sister Sam (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)
You Don't Know Sponge (Despicable)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Just had to have one last notorious episode, didn’t you season 7? Well, I’m not too mad, because I like revisiting these old dislikes to see if they’re actually as bad as everyone says. “Big Sister Sam” was always one of those episodes where I was really influenced by other people’s opinions, because I never had any strong ones of my own. So now that I’m older, I’m excited to see what I think of this episode now. And after rewatching, what I think is this: It ain’t good. But it's nowhere near the worst this show has to offer.

At least the beginning of this episode has Gary. That’s a win! And as the episode progresses, my first thought is that it reminds me a lot of “I’m With Stupid”, at least as far as Patrick cleaning his house for a family visit is concerned. As I watch, I futilely hope that this won’t extend to how he treats SpongeBob in this episode. And it kind of doesn’t, but more on that later. I love Patrick’s dramatics about losing his sister, which is even funnier to me when I think of the line from “Something Smells” about how he doesn’t even have a sister lol. Sometimes the sheer lack of consistency in this show is hilarious, and this is one of those times for me. I also really like the show of support from SpongeBob, it’s very wholesome. Even when Squidward comes onto the scene, I’m still very much enjoying what I’m watching, so this is a very good and promising start to “Big Sister Sam”.

Then we finally meet Sam, who is just what you’d expect: a bigger version of Patrick, basically. I actually like her just fine, she is not the source of my dislike in this episode. The most annoying thing about her to me is the fact that they made her basically unable to speak in any coherent manner, mostly conversing in grunts and single-word responses. Personally, unless you’re going for someone who is mute or selectively mute, or who lacks vocabulary or something, just make your characters speak coherently please…this kind of stuff is annoying.

And this is where the problems of the episode begin. Sam is clearly an overprotective sister, which is fine. I like that trope, so I have no problems there. My problems start when she launches SpongeBob in the air because he touches Patrick (because I guess she doesn’t understand what Patrick said when he said that SpongeBob is his best friend??? I don’t even know), and then Patrick makes no move to stop her, to explain to the situation, or, you know, check on SpongeBob who just got launched in the air (after Patrick himself gets slightly launched by accident, so he knows that this hurts). This is the gist of the main issue of this episode—Patrick completely not caring about how his sister is literally hurting other people. And this anger is all directed at Patrick, as, as far as I’m concerned, I don’t think Sam does much wrong here, considering she clearly doesn’t understand the situation, not that Patrick is making any effort to explain it. Even worse is when Squidward keeps insulting Sam, and Patrick decides to blame both Squidward and SpongeBob. Like wtf did SpongeBob do?? Not once in this entire episode does SpongeBob do anything wrong, so Patrick’s behavior here only pisses me off. And then when Patrick starts victimizing himself later…ooh that’s so irritating. Finally, Patrick starts seeing the light, which I would like more if it wasn’t such an abrupt switch that is inconsistent with how he was acting before.

This episode isn’t all bad, though, even if this problem is essentially the basis of the plot. There’s the great beginning I already talked about, and then scattered throughout the episode are some pretty funny moments. Like when Sam pushed Squidward’s house, that was pretty funny to me. Now, why Squidward thought further provocation was a good idea (even after SpongeBob tries to salvage the situation) is beyond me, so imo he kind of deserves what’s coming to him after that, if only because of his stupidity. I also just like SpongeBob’s character in this episode, as he is very sensible the whole time, something sorely needed in this episode where seemingly no one has anything greater than two braincells. Unfortunately, SpongeBob only gets mistreatment for his mediation here, so this pro of the episode is a double-edged sword. Like why does Sam destroy SpongeBob’s house after Squidward tries to bulldoze their rock??? What did SpongeBob even do???? And of course Patrick is no help either.

I just don’t understand the point of “Big Sister Sam”. SpongeBob is the only sensible character in this episode, and he gets treated like he’s supposed to be in the wrong. Squidward also gets treated this way, but he’s very clearly an instigator. Patrick, who’s probably the worst out of all 3 characters, gets not one iota of punishment. So I’m lost as to what the point of this episode is, other than being a frustrating mess with some good moments here and there. I can definitely see why this episode is infamous. It’s not nearly as bad as “Yours Mine and Mine” or “Stuck in the Wringer”, but it’s definitely a showcase of Patrick being horrible. This is a Tolerable-tier episode for sure, because SpongeBob is great here, and there are a few other things I like. But not much.

Episode Tier: Tolerable
Episode Score:
4.4/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Just had to have one last notorious episode, didn’t you season 7? Well, I’m not too mad, because I like revisiting these old dislikes to see if they’re actually as bad as everyone says. “Big Sister Sam” was always one of those episodes where I was really influenced by other people’s opinions, because I never had any strong ones of my own. So now that I’m older, I’m excited to see what I think of this episode now. And after rewatching, what I think is this: It ain’t good. But it's nowhere near the worst this show has to offer.

At least the beginning of this episode has Gary. That’s a win! And as the episode progresses, my first thought is that it reminds me a lot of “I’m With Stupid”, at least as far as Patrick cleaning his house for a family visit is concerned. As I watch, I futilely hope that this won’t extend to how he treats SpongeBob in this episode. And it kind of doesn’t, but more on that later. I love Patrick’s dramatics about losing his sister, which is even funnier to me when I think of the line from “Something Smells” about how he doesn’t even have a sister lol. Sometimes the sheer lack of consistency in this show is hilarious, and this is one of those times for me. I also really like the show of support from SpongeBob, it’s very wholesome. Even when Squidward comes onto the scene, I’m still very much enjoying what I’m watching, so this is a very good and promising start to “Big Sister Sam”.

Then we finally meet Sam, who is just what you’d expect: a bigger version of Patrick, basically. I actually like her just fine, she is not the source of my dislike in this episode. The most annoying thing about her to me is the fact that they made her basically unable to speak in any coherent manner, mostly conversing in grunts and single-word responses. Personally, unless you’re going for someone who is mute or selectively mute, or who lacks vocabulary or something, just make your characters speak coherently please…this kind of stuff is annoying.

And this is where the problems of the episode begin. Sam is clearly an overprotective sister, which is fine. I like that trope, so I have no problems there. My problems start when she launches SpongeBob in the air because he touches Patrick (because I guess she doesn’t understand what Patrick said when he said that SpongeBob is his best friend??? I don’t even know), and then Patrick makes no move to stop her, to explain to the situation, or, you know, check on SpongeBob who just got launched in the air (after Patrick himself gets slightly launched by accident, so he knows that this hurts). This is the gist of the main issue of this episode—Patrick completely not caring about how his sister is literally hurting other people. And this anger is all directed at Patrick, as, as far as I’m concerned, I don’t think Sam does much wrong here, considering she clearly doesn’t understand the situation, not that Patrick is making any effort to explain it. Even worse is when Squidward keeps insulting Sam, and Patrick decides to blame both Squidward and SpongeBob. Like wtf did SpongeBob do?? Not once in this entire episode does SpongeBob do anything wrong, so Patrick’s behavior here only pisses me off. And then when Patrick starts victimizing himself later…ooh that’s so irritating. Finally, Patrick starts seeing the light, which I would like more if it wasn’t such an abrupt switch that is inconsistent with how he was acting before.

This episode isn’t all bad, though, even if this problem is essentially the basis of the plot. There’s the great beginning I already talked about, and then scattered throughout the episode are some pretty funny moments. Like when Sam pushed Squidward’s house, that was pretty funny to me. Now, why Squidward thought further provocation was a good idea (even after SpongeBob tries to salvage the situation) is beyond me, so imo he kind of deserves what’s coming to him after that, if only because of his stupidity. I also just like SpongeBob’s character in this episode, as he is very sensible the whole time, something sorely needed in this episode where seemingly no one has anything greater than two braincells. Unfortunately, SpongeBob only gets mistreatment for his mediation here, so this pro of the episode is a double-edged sword. Like why does Sam destroy SpongeBob’s house after Squidward tries to bulldoze their rock??? What did SpongeBob even do???? And of course Patrick is no help either.

I just don’t understand the point of “Big Sister Sam”. SpongeBob is the only sensible character in this episode, and he gets treated like he’s supposed to be in the wrong. Squidward also gets treated this way, but he’s very clearly an instigator. Patrick, who’s probably the worst out of all 3 characters, gets not one iota of punishment. So I’m lost as to what the point of this episode is, other than being a frustrating mess with some good moments here and there. I can definitely see why this episode is infamous. It’s not nearly as bad as “Yours Mine and Mine” or “Stuck in the Wringer”, but it’s definitely a showcase of Patrick being horrible. This is a Tolerable-tier episode for sure, because SpongeBob is great here, and there are a few other things I like. But not much.

Episode Score: 4.4/10
it cant just be me but, she has the Patrick S1 color pallete

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast

Episode Score: 4.4/10
I was kinda surprised about this one I absolutely hate this episode

Also only one more episode to go until Season 8 :D

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
You know whats worse than 1 idiot season 7 patrick?
2 idiot season 7 patricks!
Lol yeah
  1. Enchanted Tiki Dreams (13/10)
  2. Growth Spout (10/10)
  3. Whelk Attack (9.5/10)
  4. Squidward In Clarinetland (9.5/10)
  5. Earworm (9.5/10)
  6. Gary In love (9.5/10)
  7. The Inside Job (9/10)
  8. Love That Squid (9/10)
  9. I ❤️ Dancing (9/10)
  10. The Great Patty Caper (9/10)
  11. The Curse Of Bikini Bottom (9/10)
  12. The Wreck Of The Mauna Loa (8.5/10)
  13. The Abrasive Side (8.5/10)
  14. Tentacle Vision (8.5/10)
  15. Greasy Buffoons (8/10)
  16. Buried In TIme (8/10)
  17. Back To The Past (8/10)
  18. The Bad Guys Club For Villains (8/10)
  19. Welcome To The Bikini Bottom Triangle (8/10)
  20. Spongebob's Last Stand (7.5/10)
  21. Krusty Dogs (7.5 Wieners/10 Wieners)
  22. Kracked Krabs (7/10)
  23. Tunnel Of Glove (6.5/10)
  24. Shellback Shenanigans (6.5/10)
  25. Model Sponge (6.5/10)
  26. Sponge-Cano! (6.5/10)
  27. The Masterpiece (5.5/10)
  28. Karate Star (5.5/10)
  29. That Sinking Feeling (5/10)
  30. A Day Without Tears (2.5/10)
  31. The Plays The Thing (2.5/10)
  32. Yours Mine And Mine (2/10)
  33. The Monster Who Came To Bikini bottom (1.5/10)
  34. Grammas Secret Recipe (1.5/10)
  35. The Curse Of The Hex (1.5/10)
  36. Hide And Then What Happends (1.5/10)
  37. New fish in town (1.5/10)
  38. Summer Job (1/10)
  39. Rodeo Daze (1/10)
  40. The Main Drain (1/10)
  41. The Cent Of Money (0.5/10)
  42. Trenchbilles (0.5/10)
  43. Big Sister Sam (0.5/10)
  44. You Don't Know Sponge (0.5/10)
  45. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (0.5/10)
  46. Stuck In The Wringer (0/10)
  47. Someones In The Kitchen With Sandy (0/10)
  48. A pal for Gary (0/10)
  49. One Coarse Meal (-99999999/10)

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
A CINEMATIC MASTERPIECE! THE DRAMA IS ENGAGING AND TOUCHING! Big Sister Sam is such a compelling and interesting character! She should return! THE WRITING OF THIS EPISODE IS SOME OF THE BEST I'VE SEEN IN ALL OF MEDIA! VERY EVENTFUL EPISODE TOO! THERE'S A VARIETY OF LOCATIONS THE CHARACTERS ADVENTURE TO! THIS WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE SERIES' BEST EPISODES!

Back