Votes: 28 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Adverage

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

hasfarr

your mom

In this episode, SpongeBob and Sandy's karate has gotten in the way of SpongeBob's work. (No references to any suggestive themes in this topic. We already went through that.)

One of my favorites, and I love the "hot sauce" part.

wambo69

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I love that part "with the power of naughtiness, may this hot sauce be extremely hot" I dont that's exactly how it goes but it's been a while since I've seen the episode :P

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
What suggestive themes? :confused:

This episode is special to me because it's the first one (if I recall correctly) I ever saw, back in '99 or 2000. I wasn't immediately hooked... but it didn't take long. :rolleyes:

wambo69

Bomb-Selling Pirate
What suggestive themes? :confused:

A lot of people think that the writers used karate in this episode as a metaphor for [censored] partly due to the fact of the tension that is built while sandy and spongebob are at the park

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Erm... that makes next to no sense. Who are "a lot of people"? A bunch of teenagers who see innuendo in everything? Whatever the case, I think "a lot of people" need to call apples apples, and karate karate.

Does it occur to anyone that the writers of Spongebob are likely quite secure about themselves and would not care or wish to pop such "metaphors" into episodes of a children's cartoon?

This sounds like the new-age hippies who see drug references in every Beatles song. (Whatever reinforces their worldview...) >_>

Seriously kids, grow up.

---

On the subject of the episode, I thought it was great 'cause it really highlighted Sandy and Spongebob's shared love of karate (which we didn't get to see too often). I also thought the writers did an excellent job of weaving the karate problem into Spongebob's work, and then having Mr. Krabs use their karate skills for his benefit (instead of firing Spongebob). To me, the idea of making something good out of a potential problem is partly why I initially liked this episode so much. :)

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
:umm:

Forgive me. I just never knew there was something "naughty" about this episode. The elephant walked into the room with the original post.

And I've never been a fan of one boosting one's own feeling of "maturity" by seeing how many innuendos one can spot. That's not maturity.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I did go off the end a little there. My bad. :umm:

But still... :confused:

wambo69

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Calm your beans. Who said anything about "boosting maturity"? and sorry for saying a lot of people what I meant to say was some people think that the episode has innuendo, or actually sorry for even saying anything and somehow offending you by answering a question. I know it's annoying when people constantly think something is dirty when it's really not, but I was just suggesting why people think that the episode is a little suggestive. I honestly think that in a way it can make sense that there is a double entendre in the episode, but I can also see why people don't think that at all. What I'm saying is that I can't say that there is a suggestive theme, but I can't say there isn't one either because I don't know the writers. It's just an opinion no reason to get your [censored] in a bunch over it.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I'm not offended. :xP: I can see how someone might think it's dirty. I just think that, as a society in general, we're always so keen to pick out what might be subversive, even if it really is just innocent or fun. And that there are some Spongebob episodes, more so than this one, which tread that line. I was merely surprised at how this episode could be called suggestive, given the myriad of other jokes in the series. (Combined with other observations that I won't elaborate on here.)

*sigh* :rolleyes:

wambo69

Bomb-Selling Pirate
True. I've noticed that too that in general society can take something completely innocent and twist it into something bad. For example this one mom I knew who was pretty strict, didn't let her kids watch spongebob, which is fine its her choice on what she allows her kids to do but I just thought her reasoning for doing so was pretty dumb. I can see why some parents aren't fans of the show because they think some of the humor can be a little crude, but this parent was looking WAY too deeply into everything. apparently she thought that the whole show had some twisted hidden meaning, she thought that spongebob was a metaphor for a tampon? and Mr. Krabs was a metaphor for an std and I forgot the other ones but they were just as dumb if not worse. I also hate when people say that the show was supposed to have been an adult show when it really wasn't... at least I'm pretty sure it wasn't :P

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
the show was supposed to have been an adult show

This is the "complaint" I read most often. For some reason, there's a rumour that it was originally an adult show. Some people add to that that Spongebob and Patrick were supposed to be a gay couple, or that it started out airing on an adult network etc. I'm not quite sure why people think this; basically it's just a rumour that goes round and round parenting forums but nobody debunks it/breaks the chain; therefore, more people accept it as true and bring it up at the next "Spongebob debate" (of which there are hundreds).

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
Quite a good episode for me, it's funny to see how SpongeBob and Sandy struggled with their temptation for karate in the park when everything they saw reminded them of it.

wambo69

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is the "complaint" I read most often. For some reason, there's a rumour that it was originally an adult show. Some people add to that that Spongebob and Patrick were supposed to be a gay couple, or that it started out airing on an adult network etc. I'm not quite sure why people think this; basically it's just a rumour that goes round and round parenting forums but nobody debunks it/breaks the chain; therefore, more people accept it as true and bring it up at the next "Spongebob debate" (of which there are hundreds).

For all I know, maybe it was supposed to have been an adult show, but at the same time if it was supposed to have been an adult show then why wasn't it? Also it wouldnt really make sense because it seems more logical that the creator wanted it to be a kids show because he already had connections with nickelodeon since he did write for a couple seasons of Rocko's Modern Life. It just seems like it would make more sense for him to have wanted it to be a kids show instead of trying to get it to be an adult show but who knows :P

hasfarr

your mom
Can we just start over? And there was a topic about the so-called "suggestive themes" in this episode.

:sandy: I LOVE karate!

:spongebob: I love kara-TAY!

:mrkrabs: I love money-AY!

:squidward: I hate all of you.

wambo69

Bomb-Selling Pirate
my favorite quotes of the episode are "sorry ma'am, I mean sir, I mean boss, I mean Puba" and "are you on a new allergy medication?"

SimbaObsesser

Flying Dutchman's Sock
This is one of the episodes where I dislike Mr.Krabs in because he was such a jerk to Spongebob. Making him quit from doing one of his favorite hobbies with the consequence of being fired from his job! I feel so sad for Spongebob when Mr.Krabs shouts at him "Spongebob, you're fired!" and then Spongebob bursts into tears! :(

cwn

Porous Freak
This is my favorite season 1 episode. Yes sir, I mean ma'm,I mean poobah.

TheBandGeek

Giant Clam
"I love kara-ta"
"I love money-ay"
"I hate all of you"

One of the many quotes of this episode. Love love love this episode. 10/10 for sure

Back