14a. SB-129

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Old review

BY FAR one of the best episodes its simple plenty of gags and its inasane (this used to be my favorite episode)

11/10 PERFECT

Last edited:

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
A very unique and classic SpongeBob episode. The title card is narrated and animated, so that sets the tone for the episode being different. This episode has a lot of interesting concepts involving time travel: like everything being chrome in the future, Squidward being stuck alone in "nowhere," and Squidward freezing himself for 2,000 years. Another interesting aspect is that this episode sort of set up the episode Spongebob B.C. (Ugh), when Squidward goes back to the past and meets prehistoric versions of Spongebob and Patrick. The prehistoric versions in Ugh are much more civilized in comparison though. It's also cool that this episode premiered with other Nicktoons to celebrate Y2K. The jokes are classic too, like the chrome, the "alone" gag, manners not being invented yet, "FUTUURREE!", and Squidward accidentally inventing jellyfishing in the past. Overall, a very memorable, unique, and awesome episode. One of my favorites.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
THIS IS IT MY FRIENDS! MY FAVORITE EPISODE ON THIS SEASON! This one had many funny jokes as well as the episode is very insane! This is easily my 3rd favorite episode of the entire show as well!

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
SB-129 (Perfect)
F.U.N. (Amazing!)
Pizza Delivery (Amazing!)
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Opposite Day (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Pickles (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Amazing!)
STUFG (Great)
Employee of the Month (Great)
Squeaky Boots (Great)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
MMABB (Great)
I Was a Teenage Gary (Great)
Scaredy Pants (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Boating School (Okay)
Hall Monitor (Okay)
Culture Shock (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)
Jellyfish Jam (Meh)
Sandy's Rocket (Meh)
The Chaperone (Bad)
Home Sweet Pineapple (Bad)
MuscleBob BuffPants (Bad)
Nature Pants (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
*points to "SB-129"* now this, this is a classic.

"SB-129" is nostalgia personified. I don't know why exactly, but this episode gets me so, so nostalgic whenever I watch it. I think part of the reason is because it was heavily used in YTPs, which I watched often when I was a kid. Yeah, I said it, I was a YTP kid, and you know what I stand by that.

Anyway, this episode has this weird atmospheric and almost liminal quality, and I don't just mean the part where Squidward's in the void. The empty Krusty Krab has the same feel to it, it's just off, just a little to the left of what's normal. I don't know how to describe it, but I dig it. I'm sure it wasn't meant to feel this way, but it does.

This episode is also just hilarious. The part where Squidward keeps slamming the door in SpongeBob and Patrick's face is just a good gag when they disappear and show up behind him. Also everything about the scene in the future just gets me rolling every time. The scene taking place in the past is probably the "weakest" part of the episode, if I can really call it that, because SpongeBob and Patrick can theoretically get annoying (for the same reason some people don't like "Ugh" I suppose. I like both "Ugh" and the past SpongeBob and Patrick so clearly this doesn't apply to me).

The ending of this episode is also very wholesome, and it's the first of many times we see Squidward show some actual fondness for the craziness that is his life being neighbors with SpongeBob and Patrick.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
*points to "SB-129"* now this, this is a classic.

"SB-129" is nostalgia personified. I don't know why exactly, but this episode gets me so, so nostalgic whenever I watch it. I think part of the reason is because it was heavily used in YTPs, which I watched often when I was a kid. Yeah, I said it, I was a YTP kid, and you know what I stand by that.

Anyway, this episode has this weird atmospheric and almost liminal quality, and I don't just mean the part where Squidward's in the void. The empty Krusty Krab has the same feel to it, it's just off, just a little to the left of what's normal. I don't know how to describe it, but I dig it. I'm sure it wasn't meant to feel this way, but it does.

This episode is also just hilarious. The part where Squidward keeps slamming the door in SpongeBob and Patrick's face is just a good gag when they disappear and show up behind him. Also everything about the scene in the future just gets me rolling every time. The scene taking place in the past is probably the "weakest" part of the episode, if I can really call it that, because SpongeBob and Patrick can theoretically get annoying (for the same reason some people don't like "Ugh" I suppose. I like both "Ugh" and the past SpongeBob and Patrick so clearly this doesn't apply to me).

The ending of this episode is also very wholesome, and it's the first of many times we see Squidward show some actual fondness for the craziness that is his life being neighbors with SpongeBob and Patrick.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
i like how when he finally gets what he wants (loneliness) he gives it up to go back to his normal life

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
while I think its good I don't think its not one of the best still good but not one of the best really its one where I like the jokes but the plot Is eh

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
This episode is the best.

I actually, in dedication to SB-129, made the bot role in my server Spongetrons.

This episode hasn't always been my favorite, it used to be Band Geeks, but SB-129, rewatching it one day, became my #1.

12/10 episode!! Off the charts

SpongebobMaster

I actually, in dedication to SB-129, made the bot role in my server Spongetrons.

This episode hasn't always been my favorite, it used to be Band Geeks, but SB-129, rewatching it one day, became my #1.

Can't wait for your opinion for pl-1413 when it comes out of course

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month

I still agree with this, it's still a great episode. But I thought I'd dive further into it. I mean, it's my favorite episode after all.

I'm making this review from school, instead of doing what I should be doing, but if they wanted me to do what they wanted, they should have called a snow day yesterday (I'm still super bitter about that). I re-watched this one last night, since I left Season 1 on while I was catching up on some homework (and reviewing "Something Smells"), so I decided to review it while it was still fresh in my mind.

It's true I've ranked plenty of other episodes 10/10, but I believe SB-129, along with a few other episodes, should be graded above the normal 0-10 scale (goes the other way too, I have negative rankings for certain episodes). SB-129 happens to be one of the "Off the Charts" episodes, in a positive way. Some of my old favorites are also on the "Off the Charts". And then there's "Below the Charts". Basically, the most awful and diabolical episodes. But SB-129 is far from it.

As you may know from reviews of "Are You Happy Now?" or maybe some others, I love creative/cool title cards. And SB-129 is one of the best title cards in my opinion, with the robotic voice saying "SB-129". I think this is one of the only ones that doesn't play any music, which is interesting, at the time of SB-129's release, I think nothing had been done like that on SpongeBob before. The title card already gives the "feel" of the episode, futuristic, chrome-looking. Because everything is chrome in the future!

But anyways, I love how Squidward hides from SpongeBob and Patrick, reminds me of me, except for the fact I was never locked in a freezer. No, I've been locked in many places, but never a freezer. Though, I do have one question that's been puzzling me for the longest time... how did nobody realize Squidward was in that freezer? I mean, SpongeBob is back in the kitchen all the time, that's his job! And in episodes like "Imitation Krabs" (which I reviewed too), we see both SpongeBob and Krabs going into the freezer, would have thought someone would have known. But a good buddy of mine made a bit of a theory, regarding the "out-of-order time line" that I mentioned in the "Are You Happy Now?" review, someone had brought it up may have been possible the Krusty Krab closed. But they had a ton of business... I try not to think about it too much, you know?

But as the episode continues, and we get to the future segment, my first comment is I like the futuristic SpongeBob end credits theme playing in the back. I also like the idea of SpongeTrons X, Y, and Z. I liked it so much actually that I changed the server bot role on my server to match the SpongeTrons. "Everything is chrome in the future!". But anyway, why did Squidward do that (reference)? It was funny but why did he start getting his daily crunches in? Idk, I mean, he did kinda just get unfrozen into some unknown future he doesn't know about. I don't really know what I would do. Now, I'm wondering, what kind of cans do they need that huge can opener for? Do they have comically large cans in the future too? Honestly, I'd like to live in a time with comically large cans of that one chicken noodle soup they sold at Costco one time. I miss that soup, wish they still sold it. But, anyway, small, but I'd like to bring up the time machine music, I liked it.

Next part. Squidward time travels back in time to the past. "This must be before manners were invented!", I don't know why, but this made me laugh every single time. This part always reminds me of the "Ugh" episode, I honestly wonder if they took place around the same time. Eh, who knows. But, I like the part when Squidward teaches them how to jellyfish. A start to a super ironic joke in the end.

The scene taking place in the past is probably the "weakest" part of the episode
I actually agree with this, that's probably why I had much more to say about the future segment. I don't have a whole lot to say about the past part actually.

But then, one of my favorite parts: "The Void". With the alone part, it makes me question: what even happened there? Always thought he'd been somewhere in the middle of space and time. Or maybe he was almost non-existant to the rest of the universe temporarily. I also like how he said he even missed SpongeBob, a small, but another part when Squidward was actually nice to SpongeBob.

i like how when he finally gets what he wants (loneliness) he gives it up to go back to his normal life
I enjoyed this part. This happened in "Squidville" too. What does Squidward want anyway?

We have the ironic jellyfishing joke at the end, and Squidward saying "I wanna go back." This episode is all over the place, but in the best way possible. There's so much to love about SB-129.

So I keep my rating from my old review 12/10, again, Off the Charts!

SpongebobMaster

I still agree with this, it's still a great episode. But I thought I'd dive further into it. I mean, it's my favorite episode after all.

I'm making this review from school, instead of doing what I should be doing, but if they wanted me to do what they wanted, they should have called a snow day yesterday (I'm still super bitter about that). I re-watched this one last night, since I left Season 1 on while I was catching up on some homework (and reviewing "Something Smells"), so I decided to review it while it was still fresh in my mind.

It's true I've ranked plenty of other episodes 10/10, but I believe SB-129, along with a few other episodes, should be graded above the normal 0-10 scale (goes the other way too, I have negative rankings for certain episodes). SB-129 happens to be one of the "Off the Charts" episodes, in a positive way. Some of my old favorites are also on the "Off the Charts". And then there's "Below the Charts". Basically, the most awful and diabolical episodes. But SB-129 is far from it.

As you may know from reviews of "Are You Happy Now?" or maybe some others, I love creative/cool title cards. And SB-129 is one of the best title cards in my opinion, with the robotic voice saying "SB-129". I think this is one of the only ones that doesn't play any music, which is interesting, at the time of SB-129's release, I think nothing had been done like that on SpongeBob before. The title card already gives the "feel" of the episode, futuristic, chrome-looking. Because everything is chrome in the future!

But anyways, I love how Squidward hides from SpongeBob and Patrick, reminds me of me, except for the fact I was never locked in a freezer. No, I've been locked in many places, but never a freezer. Though, I do have one question that's been puzzling me for the longest time... how did nobody realize Squidward was in that freezer? I mean, SpongeBob is back in the kitchen all the time, that's his job! And in episodes like "Imitation Krabs" (which I reviewed too), we see both SpongeBob and Krabs going into the freezer, would have thought someone would have known. But a good buddy of mine made a bit of a theory, regarding the "out-of-order time line" that I mentioned in the "Are You Happy Now?" review, someone had brought it up may have been possible the Krusty Krab closed. But they had a ton of business... I try not to think about it too much, you know?

But as the episode continues, and we get to the future segment, my first comment is I like the futuristic SpongeBob end credits theme playing in the back. I also like the idea of SpongeTrons X, Y, and Z. I liked it so much actually that I changed the server bot role on my server to match the SpongeTrons. "Everything is chrome in the future!". But anyway, why did Squidward do that (reference)? It was funny but why did he start getting his daily crunches in? Idk, I mean, he did kinda just get unfrozen into some unknown future he doesn't know about. I don't really know what I would do. Now, I'm wondering, what kind of cans do they need that huge can opener for? Do they have comically large cans in the future too? Honestly, I'd like to live in a time with comically large cans of that one chicken noodle soup they sold at Costco one time. I miss that soup, wish they still sold it. But, anyway, small, but I'd like to bring up the time machine music, I liked it.

Next part. Squidward time travels back in time to the past. "This must be before manners were invented!", I don't know why, but this made me laugh every single time. This part always reminds me of the "Ugh" episode, I honestly wonder if they took place around the same time. Eh, who knows. But, I like the part when Squidward teaches them how to jellyfish. A start to a super ironic joke in the end.

I actually agree with this, that's probably why I had much more to say about the future segment. I don't have a whole lot to say about the past part actually.

But then, one of my favorite parts: "The Void". With the alone part, it makes me question: what even happened there? Always thought he'd been somewhere in the middle of space and time. Or maybe he was almost non-existant to the rest of the universe temporarily. I also like how he said he even missed SpongeBob, a small, but another part when Squidward was actually nice to SpongeBob.

I enjoyed this part. This happened in "Squidville" too. What does Squidward want anyway?

We have the ironic jellyfishing joke at the end, and Squidward saying "I wanna go back." This episode is all over the place, but in the best way possible. There's so much to love about SB-129.

So I keep my rating from my old review 12/10, again, Off the Charts!
well back to the past is similar... wonder what you think about that one

Back