148b. Whelk Attack

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This episode is ok in my opinion, there aresome funny jokes, but its not too funny. The story is nice too.

7/10

SquiddlyPie

random gal
This episode is good, hmm , the part I really don't like about this episode is when SpongeBob and Patricks do not have eyes (someone posted the picture somewhere there) It was really gross for me =/ Overall , the episode didn't bother me, I did laugh when Squidward said : ''Yep, that's one angry mama'' I found this a lil funny :P , hmmm IDK what to give this episode :P It wasn't that good to take an 8,9 or 10 but it was good...so I think I am going to give it a 6.5/10 :)

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
This episode has a much different vibe from other season 7 episodes. On top of that it had a good, well-paced plot with some solid jokes.

8/10

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
Tacomaster said:
https://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=Hwq%2FDvMEqrCrO0iiuMZnXWiDtE69huigg7ADBOmA8%2Bs%3D
ew can you please stop being obsessed with that or just be obsessed with it outside of sbm

Another episode I really like. It's funny, got awesome action, and I liked the whole vibe this episode gave. I also think the ending was pretty good as well. Aside from that though, not much to say, just all-around good.

Ranking so far:
1. That Sinking Feeling (A+)
2. Earworm (A+)
3. The Inside Job (A+)
4. The Great Patty Caper (A)
5. Whelk Attack (A)
6. The Abrasive Side (A)
7. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (A)
8. Buried in Time (A)
9. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
10. Enchanted Tiki Dreams (A)
11. Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (B)
12. Growth Spout (B)
13. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
14. Greasy Buffoons (B)
15. A Day Without Tears (B)
16. I Heart Dancing (B)
17. SpongeBob's Last Stand (B)
18. Karate Star (B)
19. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
20. The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (B)
21. Kracked Krabs (C)
22. Gary in Love (C)
23. Shellback Shenanigans (C)
24. The Cent of Money (C)
25. Model Sponge (C)
26. The Masterpiece (C)
27. The Curse of the Hex (C)
28. Sponge-Cano! (D)
29. Back to the Past (D)
30. The Play's the Thing (D)
31. Tentacle-Vision (D)
32. Hide and Then What Happens? (D)
33. The Main Drain (D)
34. Gramma's Secret Recipe (D)
35. Summer Job (E)
36. Rodeo Daze (E)
37. Trenchbillies (E)
38. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
39. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
40. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
41. A Pal for Gary (F-)
42. One Coarse Meal (F-)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I actually despise this one. Its just gross.

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Enchanted Tiki Dreams (Perfect)
Earworm (Amazing)
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
That Sinking Feeling (Great)
The Inside Job (Great)
The Main Drain (Good)
Buried in Time (Great)
The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (Good)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
Karate Star (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Shellback Shenanigans (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
The Cent of Money (Okay)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Gramma's Secret Recipe (Alright)
The Masterpiece (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
The Great Patty Caper (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Sponge-Cano! (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
The Abrasive Side (Bad)
Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (Bad)
Whelk Attack (Bad)
Hide and Then What Happens? (Bad)
Rodeo Daze (Awful)
The Curse of the Hex (Awful)
Trenchbillies (Terrible)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I don’t even need to rewatch the episode to know that “Whelk Attack” is underrated as all get-out. No one ever talks about it, and that’s enough for me to make such a judgement.

The beginning jellyfishing shenanigans of this episode are miles better than the ones “Trenchbillies” had to offer, so the episode is for sure getting off to a good start with this little bit here. And it’s funny because SpongeBob and Patrick crash into each other just like that episode, except this time there’s no obnoxious slo-mo to annoy me, so yay for small victories. One thing I don’t like is how when the whelks show up, SpongeBob and Patrick don’t know what they are, and then all tension and pacing is kinda lost for a moment, as the episode spends too much time with SpongeBob and Patrick not freaking out, and just de-sliming themselves. Maybe it’s because one of those Conversation tracks is in the background, but I just don’t like how the momentum of the episode just kind of stops here.

The tension does come back though, as SpongeBob and Patrick do proceed to freak out. Well, mostly SpongeBob, but yeah. And then unlike “Wormy”, these new creatures actually do properly attack the city lol. We learn that these are dangerous forms of sea snails known as whelks, and I admit that even though this is yet another example of tension not being properly undermined, I did enjoy Patrick being all like “I’m not afraid of these whelks” and then promptly almost getting his s*** wrecked. Well, I kind of enjoyed it, because it went on too long for me. Like I get why it went on so long, but that kind of comedy very rarely works for me. I did like how SpongeBob’s like “how’d it go” when Patrick is clearly running for his life though, that was hilarious.

Of course, for some reason a lot of episodes endeavor to involve the Krusty Krab when it’s not needed, so SpongeBob and Patrick run to the Krusty Krab. I’m not actually bothered by this trend, but I do have to admit that the Krusty Krab makes a lot of appearances in episodes it has no real business being in, it’s just a fact. I loved the sequence of SpongeBob explaining to Mr. Krabs what was going on, that perspective was super interesting, and I don’t think we’ve seen anything like that in this show before, other than maybe a quick shot or two, nothing as long as this. This episode has a lot of sequences like that, actually. There’s a few of them in Sandy’s treedome as well. Very interesting.

And then we get the reveal that yeah, these whelks we’ve been dealing with? Oh they ain’t s*** compared to what’s coming, which is a giant mama whelk that ends up eating Mr. Krabs faster than Jean Jacket was sucking up fools in Nope. Somehow, SpongeBob and Patrick make it out of this alive, and they manage to get to Sandy’s place, which as you can expect is a huge win for me. This is definitely Sandy’s best appearance in a while, considering that it combines both her love of thrills and of science. I loved the bit a little later when SpongeBob and Patrick are debating sacrificing themselves for the group, it’s a great exhibit of their friendship. Of course, this point ends up being moot, as SpongeBob, Patrick, and Sandy all end up being eaten anyway.

SpongeBob then saves the day with 2 great call-backs in 1: to the beginning of the episode, with him being a sponge, and to “Suds”, which was a very surprising thing to reference, but I love it! And of course, I just love an Everybody Laughs ending, so this ending was great for me!

“Whelk Attack” is an episode that enjoy very much, and like I said before, I consider it to be very, very underrated. And I get why. It’s a great episode, but I don’t think there’s much here that other people think is special. I think it’s a great Sandy appearance, and one of the few episodes that really does well at having multiple sets of characters be in it, though we don’t get much crossover interaction. But I get why other people tend to overlook this one, I suppose.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
I really like this episode it has good pacing it has good action really good this feels like a lost season 8 episodes i mean i like to call this part of the
" The 4 Classic monster parody episodes" which consist of this episode, the krabby patty that ate bikini bottom, planet of the jellyfish and it came from goo lagoon really good episodes 9/10

Back