147a. Hide and Then What Happens?

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Here we go again bad episode! This is super forgettable. Patrick NotStar scared the heck out of me when i was younger and he still does. Its also boring.

Rating: Bad Episode

Rankings:
Enchanted Tiki Dreams (Perfect)
Earworm (Amazing)
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
That Sinking Feeling (Great)
The Inside Job (Great)
The Main Drain (Good)
Buried in Time (Great)
The Monster Who Came to Bikini Bottom (Good)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
Karate Star (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
The Cent of Money (Okay)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Gramma's Secret Recipe (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
The Great Patty Caper (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Sponge-Cano! (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
The Abrasive Side (Bad)
Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle (Bad)
Hide and Then What Happens? (Bad)
Rodeo Daze (Awful)
The Curse of the Hex (Awful)
Trenchbillies (Terrible)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I don’t even have an intro for “Hide and Then What Happens?”, and that’s because this episode has so little substance to it I don’t know how to sum it up in so many words. So let’s just get right into the episode itself, so that you see what I mean.

This episode begins with a whole lot of nothing. I thought we left this kind of thing behind in season 6, why are we watching an entire sequence of SpongeBob and Patrick blinking? Speaking of leaving things in season 6, guess what’s in this episode? If you guessed the butt-ugly design of SpongeBob I dislike a lot, you’d be correct! Not to mention the unfunny joke of Patrick not knowing who SpongeBob is (but considering “You Don’t Know Sponge” is coming up, this is unsurprising). Honestly, this whole trend of Patrick not knowing basic things is nowhere near as funny as I’m sure it’s supposed to be. It’s rarely funny at all, especially when done like this. And to add insult to injury, this first part of the episode tries to do a blank stare joke like “Missing Identity”, but it completely fails because again, Patrick being dumb here is not funny. And the fact that this “joke” goes on and on is really not helpful at all. It wasn’t funny the first time, it wasn’t funny the second time, it sure as hell wasn’t funny the third time, just drop it already!

We get to the actual hide and seek eventually, and it’s hella boring. SpongeBob doesn’t get to properly hide, and Patrick continues to be so much of an idiot that it’s not even entertaining. Like where are the jokes? Or, where are the jokes that actually land? Patrick just leaving and going home is…not funny. And it also reminds me of a kinda sad childhood story so that makes it even less funny for me.

Finally, something actually entertaining happens with the scene between SpongeBob and Squidward. It’s like the scene from “Boating Buddies”, or “Summer Job”, but even more entertaining. And I do like the idea of SpongeBob searching all of Bikini Bottom for Patrick, if we didn’t already know it was a futile venture. At least we get to see other characters like Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff (yay! we don’t see her very often), and Sandy. This section ranges from being boring to being entertaining to being a tiny bit irritating (SpongeBob’s “are you sure”, I’m looking at you), so in general I find it decent. A huge improvement over the beginning of this episode, that’s for sure. And I like when SpongeBob’s search for Patrick becomes a huge epic journey, and I kind of wish the episode was more of this, it could’ve almost been like an improved version of “WhoBob WhatPants”…kind of. Yeah I know, it’s a weak connection, sue me.

And while we’re on this “epic journey” part of the episode, I love the vibes here. The music is great, and I loved the background of the End of the World Cafe and Gift Shop. And this scene is great as well, when SpongeBob finds Patrick Not-Star, like that might’ve been the second joke to actually get a chuckle/laugh out of me in this whole episode (the Squidward bit made me laugh earlier). When I’m able to count like that, you know it’s bad. Anyway, Patrick Not-Star ends up having some sound advice, although I feel like the episode kind of abruptly decided that SpongeBob’s motivation here was to win at all costs, like that’s not the feeling I got. I got more of a “SpongeBob just wanted to finish the game” type of feeling, not a competitive spirit. But whatever, I don’t even care at this point.

I don’t know how the episode did it, but the last little stinger actually made me at least smile, even though I could see it coming from a mile away. It would’ve definitely made me laugh if that hide and seek joke was at all funny during this episode, but oh well.

Yeah, so I don’t really like “Hide and Then What Happens”. The bits of it I do like kind of mask the unpleasant bits, at least until I rewatch those first few minutes, and then I realize how much of a slog this episode is, rife with missed opportunities. So let me go ahead and put it in the (barely) Tolerable tier before I forget. Because, see, Mediocre-tier episodes are not funny; Tolerable-tier episodes are unfunny. And this episode is definitely the latter.

Episode Tier: Tolerable
Episode Score:
4.6/10

Heyo_Heyo

Moby Dollar
I don’t even have an intro for “Hide and Then What Happens?”, and that’s because this episode has so little substance to it I don’t know how to sum it up in so many words. So let’s just get right into the episode itself, so that you see what I mean.

This episode begins with a whole lot of nothing. I thought we left this kind of thing behind in season 6, why are we watching an entire sequence of SpongeBob and Patrick blinking? Speaking of leaving things in season 6, guess what’s in this episode? If you guessed the butt-ugly design of SpongeBob I dislike a lot, you’d be correct! Not to mention the unfunny joke of Patrick not knowing who SpongeBob is (but considering “You Don’t Know Sponge” is coming up, this is unsurprising). Honestly, this whole trend of Patrick not knowing basic things is nowhere near as funny as I’m sure it’s supposed to be. It’s rarely funny at all, especially when done like this. And to add insult to injury, this first part of the episode tries to do a blank stare joke like “Missing Identity”, but it completely fails because again, Patrick being dumb here is not funny. And the fact that this “joke” goes on and on is really not helpful at all. It wasn’t funny the first time, it wasn’t funny the second time, it sure as hell wasn’t funny the third time, just drop it already!

We get to the actual hide and seek eventually, and it’s hella boring. SpongeBob doesn’t get to properly hide, and Patrick continues to be so much of an idiot that it’s not even entertaining. Like where are the jokes? Or, where are the jokes that actually land? Patrick just leaving and going home is…not funny. And it also reminds me of a kinda sad childhood story so that makes it even less funny for me.

Finally, something actually entertaining happens with the scene between SpongeBob and Squidward. It’s like the scene from “Boating Buddies”, or “Summer Job”, but even more entertaining. And I do like the idea of SpongeBob searching all of Bikini Bottom for Patrick, if we didn’t already know it was a futile venture. At least we get to see other characters like Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Mrs. Puff (yay! we don’t see her very often), and Sandy. This section ranges from being boring to being entertaining to being a tiny bit irritating (SpongeBob’s “are you sure”, I’m looking at you), so in general I find it decent. A huge improvement over the beginning of this episode, that’s for sure. And I like when SpongeBob’s search for Patrick becomes a huge epic journey, and I kind of wish the episode was more of this, it could’ve almost been like an improved version of “WhoBob WhatPants”…kind of. Yeah I know, it’s a weak connection, sue me.

And while we’re on this “epic journey” part of the episode, I love the vibes here. The music is great, and I loved the background of the End of the World Cafe and Gift Shop. And this scene is great as well, when SpongeBob finds Patrick Not-Star, like that might’ve been the second joke to actually get a chuckle/laugh out of me in this whole episode (the Squidward bit made me laugh earlier). When I’m able to count like that, you know it’s bad. Anyway, Patrick Not-Star ends up having some sound advice, although I feel like the episode kind of abruptly decided that SpongeBob’s motivation here was to win at all costs, like that’s not the feeling I got. I got more of a “SpongeBob just wanted to finish the game” type of feeling, not a competitive spirit. But whatever, I don’t even care at this point.

I don’t know how the episode did it, but the last little stinger actually made me at least smile, even though I could see it coming from a mile away. It would’ve definitely made me laugh if that hide and seek joke was at all funny during this episode, but oh well.

Yeah, so I don’t really like “Hide and Then What Happens”. The bits of it I do like kind of mask the unpleasant bits, at least until I rewatch those first few minutes, and then I realize how much of a slog this episode is, rife with missed opportunities. So let me go ahead and put it in the (barely) Tolerable tier before I forget. Because, see, Mediocre-tier episodes are not funny; Tolerable-tier episodes are unfunny. And this episode is definitely the latter.

Episode Tier: Tolerable
Episode Score: 4.6/10
Hahaha I knew that you weren’t gonna like this episode it’s so boring that even the very positive Pugs can’t be positive on it

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Hahaha I knew that you weren’t gonna like this episode it’s so boring that even the very positive Pugs can’t be positive on it
lol I try my best, but there are some episodes that even optimism can't save

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
While i like the concept of a hide and seek game going too far we know where patrick is and the pacing is horrible i would have gave it a 1.5/10 but patrick notstar makes it a 2.5 he is pretty cool

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Patrick notStar my beloved
  1. Enchanted Tiki Dreams (13/10)
  2. Growth Spout (10/10)
  3. Squidward In Clarinetland (9.5/10)
  4. Earworm (9.5/10)
  5. Gary In love (9.5/10)
  6. The Inside Job (9/10)
  7. I ❤️ Dancing (9/10)
  8. The Great Patty Caper (9/10)
  9. The Curse Of Bikini Bottom (9/10)
  10. The Abrasive Side (8.5/10)
  11. Tentacle Vision (8.5/10)
  12. Greasy Buffoons (8/10)
  13. Buried In TIme (8/10)
  14. Back To The Past (8/10)
  15. The Bad Guys Club For Villains (8/10)
  16. Welcome To The Bikini Bottom Triangle (8/10)
  17. Spongebob's Last Stand (7.5/10)
  18. Kracked Krabs (7/10)
  19. Model Sponge (6.5/10)
  20. Sponge-Cano! (6.5/10)
  21. Karate Star (5.5/10)
  22. That Sinking Feeling (5/10)
  23. A Day Without Tears (2.5/10)
  24. The Plays The Thing (2.5/10)
  25. Yours Mine And Mine (2/10)
  26. The Monster Who Came To Bikini bottom (1.5/10)
  27. Grammas Secret Recipe (1.5/10)
  28. The Curse Of The Hex (1.5/10)
  29. Hide And Then What Happends (1.5/10)
  30. Summer Job (1/10)
  31. Rodeo Daze (1/10)
  32. The Main Drain (1/10)
  33. The Cent Of Money (0.5/10)
  34. Trenchbilles (0.5/10)
  35. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (0.5/10)
  36. Stuck In The Wringer (0/10)
  37. Someones In The Kitchen With Sandy (0/10)
  38. A pal for Gary (0/10)
  39. One Coarse Meal (-99999999/10)

Back