145b. Enchanted Tiki Dreams

cwn

Porous Freak
Wow... Just today you became a starfish. But yeah, a good episode for season 7. 450 dubloons!

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Noone really likes this, and I can see why. One half is (a more stupid than usual) Spongebob and Patrick annoying Squidward. The other half is Squidward relaxing and a song. It wasn't particularly funny, either. To boot, it was from Aaron Springer and Richard Pursel, who, in the past, proved to be bad writers (Pets Or Pests). Maybe the addition of Sean Charmatz didn't help any matters either. In most people's eyes, it's a regular Season 7 episode that doesn't stand out, but, by the same reasoning, isn't bad, either.

To me, though, this is honestly the point at which a major Post-Movie problem was fixed: Squidward abuse. Spongebob and Patrick finally feel bad about what they do to Squidward (which, for the record, hadn't happened since Good Neighbors- or if you're picky, That Sinking Feeling, but that's a different situation). For the first time in a long time, Squidward won. And not some small victory, like in, say, House Fancy, or Suction Cup Symphony. Squidward literally gets six minutes devoted to him being happy and relaxing after 3 and a half Seasons of increasingly cruel "jokes" (Squid's Visit takes the freaking cake in regards to said jokes)
The first half is a normal episode, and honestly, it begins to dawn on you just how much Squidward has gone through when he literally breaks down and starts crying.

Spongebob and Patrick go through the trouble to create this world for Squidward to relax in. And... What's this? Friendship between Patrick, Spongebob and Squidward starts to blossom? Perhaps, if they made an effort to be nicer, Squidward would be a happier person- Yeah, whatever. Any questions that were possibly brought up in this episode get shot down once the Tiki Land is destroyed. Despite this, Squidward again, gets a victory: Getting to knock down Spongebob and Patrick over and over on a boat salvaged from the wreckage!

The reason this episode resonates with me is because it seemed almost like an apology from the writers. It seemed to say, "Hey guys, we're sorry for screwing everything up in regards to Squidward and his relationship with Spongebob and Patrick. We'll work on it." I doubt that was the intention, but still. And, coming from the same guys that wrote "Boating Buddies", that's really saying something. After this episode, I don't think we'll ever get another episode like Good Neighbors again. And, after this episode, Spongebob stopped acting creepy in regards to Squidward, too. Are You Happy Now didn't give me hope after this ep, however.

As an episode by itself, it gets a 7/10. For what it did for the show, it gets a 10. Very instrumental fixing episode in a very instrumental fixing Season.

Powerstars

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Yes, I love that Squidward FINALLY gets to be happy. I was actually sad when the "Tiki Land" got destroyed. I loved the song. I'll give it an 8, maybe.

LeElephantMonster

Moby Dollar
I got to say probably without the song in this episode it would have not stuck for me because I got the song stuck in my head. :D Also the first time I watched this epi my mom was in the room and the episode didn't confuse her so I will give it that. I'm am just happy the whole episode wasn't another squidward abuse day!

ps jibbix I love your post its fun to read!

LeElephantMonster

Moby Dollar
i know people dont like this episode but after this episode the squidward abuse toned down alot. Also this episode actually has a message in it, That nothing lasts forever. So thats a plus that we missed from lots of other episodes.

GoodNoodle

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Noone really likes this, and I can see why. One half is (a more stupid than usual) Spongebob and Patrick annoying Squidward. The other half is Squidward relaxing and a song. It wasn't particularly funny, either. To boot, it was from Aaron Springer and Richard Pursel, who, in the past, proved to be bad writers (Pets Or Pests). Maybe the addition of Sean Charmatz didn't help any matters either. In most people's eyes, it's a regular Season 7 episode that doesn't stand out, but, by the same reasoning, isn't bad, either.

To me, though, this is honestly the point at which a major Post-Movie problem was fixed: Squidward abuse. Spongebob and Patrick finally feel bad about what they do to Squidward (which, for the record, hadn't happened since Good Neighbors- or if you're picky, That Sinking Feeling, but that's a different situation). For the first time in a long time, Squidward won. And not some small victory, like in, say, House Fancy, or Suction Cup Symphony. Squidward literally gets six minutes devoted to him being happy and relaxing after 3 and a half Seasons of increasingly cruel "jokes" (Squid's Visit takes the freaking cake in regards to said jokes)
The first half is a normal episode, and honestly, it begins to dawn on you just how much Squidward has gone through when he literally breaks down and starts crying.

Spongebob and Patrick go through the trouble to create this world for Squidward to relax in. And... What's this? Friendship between Patrick, Spongebob and Squidward starts to blossom? Perhaps, if they made an effort to be nicer, Squidward would be a happier person- Yeah, whatever. Any questions that were possibly brought up in this episode get shot down once the Tiki Land is destroyed. Despite this, Squidward again, gets a victory: Getting to knock down Spongebob and Patrick over and over on a boat salvaged from the wreckage!

The reason this episode resonates with me is because it seemed almost like an apology from the writers. It seemed to say, "Hey guys, we're sorry for screwing everything up in regards to Squidward and his relationship with Spongebob and Patrick. We'll work on it." I doubt that was the intention, but still. And, coming from the same guys that wrote "Boating Buddies", that's really saying something. After this episode, I don't think we'll ever get another episode like Good Neighbors again. And, after this episode, Spongebob stopped acting creepy in regards to Squidward, too. Are You Happy Now didn't give me hope after this ep, however.

As an episode by itself, it gets a 7/10. For what it did for the show, it gets a 10. Very instrumental fixing episode in a very instrumental fixing Season.
This is also why I like Accidents Will Happen, and upped my rating for Treats!
(Fixing Krabs' cheapness, and a happy Gary. No more Penny Foolish and Grooming Gary!)

Spongeo

Professional Mayo Player
I love this episode probably one of the best in this season there is barely any squid abuse and Squidward actually is not depressed it is not a lazy written episode very entertaining too! 9/10

hfjs

Other than the first couple minutes, great episode.

I loved this episode so much. It's definetly on my top 10 season 7 episodes. I'm glad the writers finally made up for Squid abuse episodes. There weren't too much funny moments in this episode but this episode was very enjoyable. I thought this episode was okay until SpongeBob and Patrick built a tiki World. I really loved the song of this episode so much. I wish Squidward's tiki world didn't get destoryed but at least the tiki boat didn't get destoryed and Squidward turned the tiki boat into a swingset to make his dream last. I thought this episode wasn't funny but there were a few funny parts too. I think the only funny moments are SpongeBob and Patrick annoying Squidward at the begining, Squidward saying "Don't matter to me 'cause... 'cause I'm CRAZY, man!" and the ending. I recommend this episode to everyone, especially to Squidward fans. 10/10

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Wow! One of Season 7's bright spots. Just a very sweet, feel good episode and the best part is that SpongeBob and Patrick actually care about Squidward's feelings here. With terrible dreck like "The Main Drain" and "One Coarse Meal" being made in this same season, it's even more impressive thinking about it that way. I think I've found another episode I can proudly call one of my favorites when it comes to the post movie era.

Cha

I love SBM
Good idea, semi poor execution. The first half of course was needed for the audience to really see how Squidward can be tormented sometimes. I wish the episode had more of the enchanted tiki world. Like they could dive deeper into it the surroundings and Squidward could realize he was actually on an island. Squidward and others could manage to have fun together for once. It doesn't have to necessarily be all that funny. Maybe they could have gone on an adventure (Robot Pirate Island! Nah I'm kidding. :p) Maybe the friendship between the three could have been expanded on, like when they're in the enchanted world they bond deep respect and stuff after saving each other from a dreaded, ancient tribe of tiki god worshipers or something. Of course the world eventually ends and goes back to normal.. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I just felt like it was too short and not that interesting in someways.

7/10

Insomnia

Flying Dutchman's Sock
While not to much happens in this one it's refreshing to see Spongebob and Patrick really work hard to make Squidward happy. While the first few minutes were pretty annoying the rest was pretty good even if there was pretty much no humor in this.

7/10

Mantis

killer queen best stand
Good to see Squidward win. (Especially in post-movie episodes.) Aaron Springer, good to see you again!

More

VIP
One of the better episodes of Season 7. Not funny, just very entertaining.

9/10

Back