13b. I Was A Teenage Gary

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
6.5/10

This episode isn't as bad as most people think. Sure, there's the transformation scene, and the ending, but the beginning I find pretty funny. I also like it just before the transformation scene where SpongeBob was doing snail-like things, I found that enjoyable. Other than that I find most of the episode pretty meh, and probably a little boring.

Naughty Nautical Neighbors: (10/10)
Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the Tree-Dome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Pizza Delivery: (9/10)
Plankton!: (9/10)
F.U.N: (9/10)
Boating School: (8.5/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Culture Shock: (7.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Pickles: (7/10)
Scardey Pants: (7/10)
The Chaperone: (6.5/10)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I: (6.5/10)
I Was A Teenage Gary: (6.5/10)
Home Sweet Pineapple: (6.5/10)
Employee of the Month: (6.5/10)
Opposite Day: (6/10)
Squidward The Unfriendly Ghost: (5.5/10)
Nature Pants: (4.5/10)
Sandy's Rocket: (4.5/10)
Hall Monitor: (4/10)
Squeaky Boots: (3.5/10)
MuscleBob BuffPants: (2/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The first ever episode of the show that truly gained infamy, but honestly I believe it's gained too much infamy. There are some pretty big problems, but there are also some positives. I did like some of the jokes, such as Squidward's enlarged head after consuming all the snail food. I also thought the concept was interesting, it just wasn't executed well at all. But we'll talk about that later. Right now we gotta talk about the animation, which is the minor-est issue that i have with the episode, but it's not that good. Some of the character's proportions are pretty off, and the sloppy cel animation really shows here. The story is where everything crumbles though. There is a LOT of setup and pointless scenes, thus the whole sequence of Spongebob transforming into a snail and annoying Squidward (which is what should've been the meat and potatos of the plot) barely has anytime to play out. I'm also not a big fan of the ending, it just kind of feels open-ended, like there shoul've been more and there wasn't.
I will say that even though i think this is a bad episode, I wouldn't consider it the worst of the pre-movie era.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Again i feel like im the only one here who didnt mind the ending. But this one is funny.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
F.U.N. (Amazing!)
Pizza Delivery (Amazing!)
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Opposite Day (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Pickles (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Amazing!)
STUFG (Great)
Employee of the Month (Great)
Squeaky Boots (Great)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
MMABB (Great)
I Was a Teenage Gary (Great)
Scaredy Pants (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Boating School (Okay)
Hall Monitor (Okay)
Culture Shock (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)
Jellyfish Jam (Meh)
Sandy's Rocket (Meh)
The Chaperone (Bad)
Home Sweet Pineapple (Bad)
MuscleBob BuffPants (Bad)
Nature Pants (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, the other SpongeBob Halloween episode of season 1. And man, do people not like this one. I am very pointedly not a part of that group, by the way. I actually enjoy this episode quite a bit. Is it as good as "Scaredy Pants"? No, but it isn't bad at all. In fact, I'd call it pretty good.

First off, this episode is a win as a Gary stan. Not only do we get to see lots of Gary, but we get to see lots of SpongeBob interacting with Gary which I adore because they are so cute and wholesome in this from beginning to end. I like the character dynamics in general this episode. I really wish we got to see Squidward and Gary interact in earnest, but I'll take what I can get. And then Squidward and SpongeBob had a pretty good thing going on in this episode too, with Squidward actually owing SpongeBob for once.

I think the beginning of this episode is probably the slowest part, but things pick up once Patrick shows up, which isn't very far into the episode. From there, I find "I Was A Teenage Gary" to be pretty funny throughout, and a good Halloween tale that can be enjoyed any time of year. The whole "chase" scene in Squidward's house is hilarious, and I just love how the house gets flipped in the end, I think that's a great bit of visual comedy. And then the ending of the episode is the perfect kind of stinger I love to see, from Gary, SpongeBob, and Squidward singing like some alley cats, to Squidward getting hit by the boot, to Squidward's pained singing in the end. It's all very solid and entertaining.

Other than these few remarks, I really don't have all that much to say about this episode. It isn't rolling on the floor type of hilarious, but it is pretty funny in moments, and it doesn't really bore me. As I said before, the beginning starts a bit dully, but other than that the episode is plenty engaging. The only actual problem I have with the episode is the scene where SpongeBob transforms into a snail, it's just weird and out of place. So, this episode sits right in my "Good" tier.

Episode Score: Good
Episode Tier:
7.8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Ah, the other SpongeBob Halloween episode of season 1. And man, do people not like this one. I am very pointedly not a part of that group, by the way. I actually enjoy this episode quite a bit. Is it as good as "Scaredy Pants"? No, but it isn't bad at all. In fact, I'd call it pretty good.

First off, this episode is a win as a Gary stan. Not only do we get to see lots of Gary, but we get to see lots of SpongeBob interacting with Gary which I adore because they are so cute and wholesome in this from beginning to end. I like the character dynamics in general this episode. I really wish we got to see Squidward and Gary interact in earnest, but I'll take what I can get. And then Squidward and SpongeBob had a pretty good thing going on in this episode too, with Squidward actually owing SpongeBob for once.

I think the beginning of this episode is probably the slowest part, but things pick up once Patrick shows up, which isn't very far into the episode. From there, I find "I Was A Teenage Gary" to be pretty funny throughout, and a good Halloween tale that can be enjoyed any time of year. The whole "chase" scene in Squidward's house is hilarious, and I just love how the house gets flipped in the end, I think that's a great bit of visual comedy. And then the ending of the episode is the perfect kind of stinger I love to see, from Gary, SpongeBob, and Squidward singing like some alley cats, to Squidward getting hit by the boot, to Squidward's pained singing in the end. It's all very solid and entertaining.

Other than these few remarks, I really don't have all that much to say about this episode. It isn't rolling on the floor type of hilarious, but it is pretty funny in moments, and it doesn't really bore me. As I said before, the beginning starts a bit dully, but other than that the episode is plenty engaging. The only actual problem I have with the episode is the scene where SpongeBob transforms into a snail, it's just weird and out of place. So, this episode sits right in my "Good" tier.

Episode Score: Good
Episode Tier: 7.8/10
the ending scene was hilarious

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
I actually I have with the episode is the scene where SpongeBob transforms into a snail,
SpongeBob originally turned into Fortnite, in ''I was a teenage Gary'' but the writers thought the kids wont get it so they made SpongeBob a snail the original title was ''i was a teenage Fortnite''

YuYuYuuki

Glitter Gloss
I basically, like, never hated this episode, but I did have the original airing of it and Scaredy Pants on, like, VHS when I was a kid or something. It seemed to be, like, my first time seeing SpongeBob and my mom, like, taped it for me 'cause she, like knew I was enjoying it. The tape starts in the middle of Scaredy Pants when Patrick, like, comes over Sponge's place for some reason. That's how I know there wasn't a, like, cut scene in this episode. Rumour loving kids made that up.

This episode was, like, SOOOO kawaii. The dehydrated Gary, like, upset me more than the, like, snail transformation. In fact, I seemed to have played along with it using my, like, hands or something. This episode is like, a whole pastiche on old horror movies where freakazoid things happen 'cause, like, science is EEEVIL. I basically love science, and I always have. It, like, shouldn't be evil for some reason.

Best parts??? "I'm going to go home and throw up." And the whole, like, buildup of the transformation, especially when Sponge's voice, like, echoes or something. And Sponge as a, like, snail. So adorbs. And the end. Adorbs again.

Back