138b. Rodeo Daze

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 7

Episode: Rodeo Daze

This episode was very mediocre. The plot was kinda bland. Spongebob was annoying here, and it kinda bothered me. There were few funny jokes. 4/10

MissTree

Moby Dollar
"Plot: The whole gang is off to Texas to see Sandy in a rodeo."

we didn't even see Texas until the end :( they should have based the episode more on this sentence you see above

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
I used to think this episode was extremely boring, but after watching it about a week ago, It was really good. I can honestly say I was pretty entertained, laughed at the jokes, and the song was really catchy.
And to top that off, Sandy was the one singing it! She should sing more often.

And another thing that I appreciated was the relaxful soundtrack/song choice while they were all floating in the bubbles. Felt very hawaiian :)

Not sure what my rating would be, but I'll say, it's a good episode.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG , I don't like this episode...I only likethe beggining....that's ALL....1/10 :no:

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
This episode was just really boring to me, especially the parts in the middle where Spongebob gathers the Bikini Bottom citizens to "save" Sandy. I could tell that the middle of this episode was full of pointless filler that was bound to make me fall asleep. The beginning was pretty good since it reminded me of older Spongebob episodes, and I got a little laugh out of the part where a moldy Krabby Patty was inside Spongebob's ear. I liked the part where Patrick dug out the book called "How to Open Things" (Man, I NEED that book), even if the gag lasted for a bit too long. I liked the song in this episode, I felt it was an underrated and interesting song because I haven't seen Sandy sing a song for a while. That's about it for the positives here. The biggest problem here was that nothing happen throughout most of the episode. None of the Bikini Bottomites care that Sandy was in trouble, and that is a recipe to make a bad episode. The story just felt really uninteresting here as well. The climax was a ripoff a Pressure, only made really unfunny and full of stupidity. I will give it a 2.5/10. It's just better to watch Texas instead of this because Texas was charming, sweet, and funny.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Most of this episode is just filler with terrible live-action, and SpongeBob kidnapping people is questionable to say the least. There are a few good jokes but this is just uninteresting. Typical season 7.

3/10

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Ironically, I have pretty much the exact opposite opinion of this episode as most do. I think all of the episode is great.... except for the song, which is meh. Whereas most people think the opposite.

But yea, minus the song (Which wasn't even that bad in the first place), this episode was good. I thought the idea of Sandy going back up to Texas and Spongebob trying to save her was great. The parts of Spongebob trying to get other people to help him save Sandy was actually good and pretty funny. I also liked the idea of Spongebob putting everyone and the Pineapple in bubbles to bring them to Texas (And I liked the atmosphere and background music of when he was putting everyone in bubbles as well. It was really peaceful). And the ending was pretty cool too (Although rushed).

And honestly, this episode was pretty funny. The beginning part with the French Narrator was funny, Spongebob thinking Sandy was in trouble mostly because of the "scary" clowns was funny, Spongebob screwing up Plankton's dynamite plan was funny (The rest of that scene sorta was too), Squidward walking out of Spongebob's house only to realize that it was also in a big bubble, and then falling to the bottom of it was also funny.

People always say that the part where Spongebob tries to get everyone to help him was a bad scene and boring filler, but that's not true. It's not filler, it's an important part of the plot and sets up to Spongebob having to put everyone in bubbles. People say that it didn't make any sense that nobody wanted to help save Sandy and couldn't about her, but that's not even true, were you guys even watching? Sandy was never in trouble and Spongebob was simply overreacting and not understanding what the rodeo even was, he just thought it was scary because of the clowns there (Even though there was nothing bad about them). Of course the rest of Bikini Bottom would know that Sandy was clearly not in trouble and that Spongebob was overreacting. And even then, of course nobody wanted to help! Patrick was too scared about the clowns and clothes there and was simply running away, not thinking of anything else and was probably not hearing a word Spongebob was saying in the first place. He might have realized that Sandy wasn't in trouble in the first place too. Squidward and Plankton never cared about Sandy in the first place, Squidward didn't even seem happy when Sandy decided to stay in Bikini Bottom in Texas (The Episode), and Sandy and Plankton's relationship at this point so far was pretty much just Plankton stealing her fur coat, causing Sandy public humilation and getting her arrested in the end of the episode. Obvisualy they weren't going to want to help Sandy, espicially considering that they probably figured Spongebob was overreacting. And Plankton was holding a bomb that was going to explode really soon, he probably wasn't listening to Spongebob and just wanted to get away from him and over to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs also clearly wasn't listening to anything Spongebob said, he just wanted to get more money. Gary didn't really know why Spongebob wanted her to go somewhere at first, since Spongebob simply said "Let's go". and even then, once he found out why Spongebob was telling him to go with him, he probably thought that Spongebob was overreacting. Which was correct. And also, Spongebob never even asked any of the background fish or any other bikini bottomites except for those five. For all we know, that might have been willing to help Spongebob until he put them in bubbles. So really, it wasn't that they didn't care about Sandy, they just knew Spongebob was overreacting to something that wasn't a problem and knew she wasn't really in trouble and/or weren't listening, plus Spongebob didn't ask anybody else except those five characters, and two of the characters he did ask never cared about Sandy in the first place.

Prople also say that the live-action scenes were bad, but........ they weren't any differant than the other live-action scenes? If these were bad, then so were the scenes in Pressure and the two movies. They weren't any differant at all.

However, there were still two flaws with this episode.

The first is the song. It wasn't THAT bad, but it still wasn't the best. The tune was not good at all, and the lyrics weren't that good either. It was pretty boring and not that good.

The second was that it spent too much time on the song and the part following, and not enough on the live-action parts in Texas. The first part of the episode was a little boring, but I think the second part wasn't boring at all. It probably would've been better if there was more of the live-action parts and less of the song and the part following. The part at the end was so rushed that the end credits in the bottom of the screen are already rolling by the time it starts. There should've been time for it to be less rushed and have more to it.

And another thing: I liked how Sandy still won the rodeo at the end (Or at least get a lot of applause for saving Spongebob). They could've just had her lose it for no reason at all, like how Squidward got kicked out of the Cephalopod Lodge just because he was happy and Spongebob and Patrick wanted to spy on him because of it. Esoicially considering the Season this episode is in.

I'm not fully sure what to rate it, but I'd probably give it a 8/10 or something near that. It's actually a good episode. I'd say it's the third most underrated episode behind Truth ot Square and Atlantis Squarepantis.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Rodeo Daze (S7-E138-B)

This episode is boring. It's just a rip-off of Texas and Pressure. SpongeBob asking everybody to "save" Sandy is just a huge waste of 10 mins. The only thing I like there is the live action version of the fishes and the sponge when they arrive at Texas just to "save" Sandy.

Final Score = 1/10

An episode that relies way too much on filler and boring visuals. It's one of the weirdest and most boring episodes of the show. It's not as boring as The Play's the Thing, but at least in that episode nobody was acting like a selfish jerk besides the customers.

Ranking so far:
1. The Inside Job (A+)
2. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (A)
3. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
4. Growth Spout (B)
5. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
6. Greasy Buffoons (B)
7. A Day Without Tears (B)
8. I Heart Dancing (B)
9. SpongeBob's Last Stand (B)
10. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
11. Kracked Krabs (C)
12. Gary in Love (C)
13. Model Sponge (C)
14. Back to the Past (D)
15. The Play's the Thing (D)
16. Tentacle-Vision (D)
17. Summer Job (E)
18. Rodeo Daze (E)
19. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
20. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
21. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
22. A Pal for Gary (F-)
23. One Coarse Meal (F-)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I watched it again 2 days ago. This episode is just meh. The song is pretty nice, the scence when Spongebob asks Squidward for helping is nice. I like the book "how to open things". But that's it. The rest was just meh. I give it 5.5/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think it was meh. 6/10. The song was good though.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I can’t believe it…an episode actually focused on Sandy? In season 7? And I like it too???? Yeah, “Someone’s in the Kitchen With Sandy” is so far on my sh*t list that I refuse to count that one. And this episode features land, something we haven’t done since “Pressure” (not counting the movie), so now I’m excited! But I am wary, as no one seems to talk about this episode…ever. What could this mean? Honestly, probably nothing good. And I was right about that, because most people dislike this episode, or find it lacking.

Hey, at least “Rodeo Daze” has a cool title card and music! That’s already an excellent start to the episode. And this beginning with the French Narrator is pretty fun, love to see him. And I love how he got scared by SpongeBob. Though, the staring contest is…a boring way to begin things. What happened to immediately hooking viewers? I mean, I guess I was hooked by the title card lol. Anyway, things pick up a bit when SpongeBob and Patrick head over to Sandy’s place. I loved the gag with the “How To Open Things” book, and I loved SpongeBob’s addition to the gag when he says that he saw the movie but never read the book. I wonder what a movie for a book like that would be like. Could you imagine movies for self-help books? God, no thank you. Also, I think the jar bit was a reference to “Big Pink Loser”, but maybe that’s just me. And the gag with SpongeBob and Patrick getting in Sandy’s suit is hilarious.

I love how this episode gives us more information about Sandy. Such as how she has a twin brother named Randy. Or that she has a championship title for rodeos. I feel like this particularly facet of Sandy, her Southern, cowgirl type part, is simultaneously the most- and least-developed and explored part of her. I mean, it’s most because it comes out with every word she says, but it’s least because outside of “Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm”, we don’t actually see Sandy put these kind of skills to use, much less than we see her karate prowess or her scientific knowledge. This episode reminds me a lot of “Texas”, right down to Sandy getting a musical number, and I absolutely love it. I also really, really love the song in this episode, it’s so good and super catchy. And also I’m reminded of an episode of The Backyardigans…yeah I know, weird connection. But listen, “Le Master of Disguise” was my favorite episode as a kid, so I can remember it pretty well, and there was a cowboy in that episode! See, it’s all connected. Trust the process.

I love how SpongeBob is overly concerned about Sandy in this rodeo just because of the clown part, like that’s pretty funny. And the whole sequence of Sandy launching to Texas is visually interesting, so that’s a plus. SpongeBob trying to recruit people to help him “help” Sandy is also entertaining. Mr. Krabs and Squidward are hilarious. I love that this episode includes so many different characters! It once again makes Sandy feel a part of the gang, something that has been sorely lacking as of late. And I love that Plankton was included as someone who could help SpongeBob, like that’s the exact kind of dynamic I love between these two. And his part is super funny.

The episode continues to be great as SpongeBob literally kidnaps everyone so they can “save” Sandy. Once we get to this part of the episode, I start to think about how this episode is almost like the inverse of “Prehibernation Week” and I love it for that. It’s about time that SpongeBob showed some reciprocity for Sandy’s actions in that episode! I’m joking, but my point is valid. The way everyone screams when they see they’re closing in Texas is so me-core…you’ll never see me buying into that state’s propaganda…never! Anyway, from here the episode has some great stylistic choices in those live-action cutouts of Sandy and the bullfrog, as well as everyone else once the bubble gets popped. It makes the episode unique and visually interesting. And while the ending of the episode is rather abrupt, I like it as it is, with a fun little pun closing us out.

“Rodeo Daze” is just a really fun and enjoyable episode, with some really great humor to boot. And it’s Sandy focused, though it doesn’t feature her as much as I’d want, but that’s okay! I really have nothing bad to say about this episode at all. It’s definitely a hidden gem, and people need to talk about it more, because it’s really good!

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
And now the streak of meh episodes end. And guess what? WE GET A TERRIBLE EPISODE! I liked nothing here. Not even the song. Clowns are stupid so why did Sandy dress as one? That is my question for this.

Rating: Awful Episode

Rankings:
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
The Inside Job (Great)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Rodeo Daze (Awful)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

Back