138a. The Play's the Thing

Giant Clam
MrTortellini00 said:
You really shouldn't care that much about the SBM ratings of the episodes because there are a lot of them that are either underrated or overrated. Don't say that this place is full of enterbots (stupid term btw) just because of that.
I said the enterbots thing cuz of everyone saying "Urgghhh this episode is nothing but squid torture". As an ex-enterbot myself, now just seeing people use the term STP really grinds my gears.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
777 said:
I said the enterbots thing cuz of everyone saying "Urgghhh this episode is nothing but squid torture". As an ex-enterbot myself, now just seeing people use the term STP really grinds my gears.
Ew, the STP term is thrown out too easily sometimes. I agree, it's annoying.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
I really liked some parts of this episode! I liked the fact that they tried to ''copy'' Culture Shock...BUT I didn't like the fact that they were throwing SB and Squidward FOOD and stuff because they wanted to eat....is that even logical? I liked SpongeBob's ''crazy'' laugh at the ending :P ,I didn't like what Patrick said (can he get even more IDIOT? Because that's not stupid at all, it is just NOT GOOD) I also liked and laughed at a scene though :P ''But, who will refill the empty chasm in my soul?'' ''I...don't know, man...I don't know.'' and I also liked how Mr.Krabs was appearing out of the nowhere to say to Squidward do your job or else NO show :P But throwing food :/ ... I guess I will give a 6 out of 10

Poop

it is i
when patrick said i like throwing food the rating went down massively it was a 7/10 but now its a 5/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
It has an interesting concept, but goes nowhere. A few funny parts and a different tone give this one a notch above season 7's worst.

4.5/10

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: The Play's the Thing (S7-E138-A)

I like this episode but this is too decent. It's just a rip-off of Culture Shock. Why won't Mr. Krabs and the customers leave Squidward's play alone? To be honest, plays should be an elegant performance in order to impress the viewers, NOT INTERRUPT HIM (Squidward) FOR A ::dolphin noise:: KRABBY PATTY! All Mr. Krabs care more than Squidward's play is the stupid money. How cheap. The only thing I like is the food fight, but I don't like the ending. It's creepy. :patgross:

Final Score = 5/10

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Kinda surprised people don't like this one - I remember it being the only season seven episode that stood out to me as funny back when it aired, and I still stand by that.

One of the most boring and forgettable Season 7 episodes. Not too much stood out here, and the play idea was already kinda taken by Squirrel Jokes, a much better episode. I think this episode could have been good had they added more humor. But as it stands, pretty dang boring.

Ranking so far:
1. The Inside Job (A+)
2. The Bad Guy Club for Villains (A)
3. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
4. Growth Spout (B)
5. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
6. Greasy Buffoons (B)
7. A Day Without Tears (B)
8. I Heart Dancing (B)
9. SpongeBob's Last Stand (B)
10. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
11. Kracked Krabs (C)
12. Gary in Love (C)
13. Model Sponge (C)
14. Back to the Past (D)
15. The Play's the Thing (D)
16. Tentacle-Vision (D)
17. Summer Job (E)
18. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
19. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
20. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
21. A Pal for Gary (F-)
22. One Coarse Meal (F-)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I watched it again 2 days ago. This episode is nice. I give it 6.5/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
A recycled plot from Season 1 and it was a bad episode. 4/10.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I remember, back in the day, “The Play’s The Thing” was called one of the most boring SpongeBob SquarePants episodes of all time. After watching such snoozefests like “The Clash of Triton”, “Porous Pockets”, “Rise and Shine”, and the worst of them all thus far, “Hocus Pocus”, I want to see if this holds up.

This episode begins…interestingly. I mean, I was delighted to see SpongeBob act like a little weirdo, but this whole scene felt very slow. And yes, I know that this scene is one of those ones featured in those “subliminal messaging” or “adult jokes in SpongeBob” videos, which I think is a load of barnacles, to borrow some show terminology. He’s blowing up balloons guys, get your minds outta the gutter. I like how the mailman ended up running out in terror though, that was hilarious.

I think one thing I like about this episode is that it further establishes Squidward as someone with hobbies and creative aspirations. Like, we already knew this of course, but I like episodes like this that show the reality of it instead of just talking about it. Like when we get to see him painting, or playing clarinet, or in this case directing and starring in a play. It’s just fun, and gives his character more depth. When Squidward gets the letter, I love how we continue this running joke of Mr. Krabs being perplexed by Squidward’s happiness. And SpongeBob having a happy break is so very him. The part where Squidward reads the letter (after preemptively quitting, showing how arrogant he is lol) is pretty entertaining, I love how he just circles back to reclaim his job. Mr. Krabs isn’t even fazed at this point, he fires and rehires his employees multiple times a week at this rate. SpongeBob’s constant riding of the Squidward hype train reminds me a lot of “Can You Spare A Dime?”, which is great for me.

This episode also is very reminiscent of “Culture Shock”. And yes, reminiscent. No “rip-off” or anything like that, y’all know I don’t use that word unless absolutely necessary (I still haven’t seen “Yellow Pavement”, but I have seen some clips of it…the word might be necessary there). I also love how SpongeBob clearly is learning from Mr. Krabs as he comes up with that marketing genius. Kinda feels like a continuation from “Kracked Krabs” in that way. And the name SpongeBob comes up with, Singy-Eaty Time, is hilarious. I’d go to that over dinner theatre any day.

The part with the anchovies was a nice reference to “Help Wanted”, but the joke with Mr. Krabs not paying then landed weirdly because they all reacted way too long after he said that. It almost felt like they were just wasting time here, it was weird. And so the joke wasn’t as funny as it could’ve been because the timing was off. The comedy regains its footing again once the play gets started. The part where Harold is eating Nat’s arm, and Nat just gives him seasoning is pretty funny.

And then we get to the actual play. And it’s, it’s fine! Squidward basically just monologues throughout the scene while having continuous interruptions from the customers and Mr. Krabs. And because the play is about Squidward working at the Krusty Krab, it just feels like Squidward dramatizing the work he’s already doing, so it works well. And there’s some pretty funny moments in here, like the way Squidward gets in that customer’s face about his soul, or when he calls Mr. Krabs a skinflint and then has to backtrack a little bit. Unfortunately, SpongeBob’s lack of acting chops kind of brings down the episode, because it’s just awkward and not in a fun way. But it doesn’t last too long, because we’re back to the dramatic monologuing by Squidward together with SpongeBob’s randomness. But then of course SpongeBob ends up being the better actor once he realizes he burnt the Krabby Patties lol.

Things take a turn for Squidward as his arrogance bites him in the butt…or hits him in the face. And I am again reminded of “Culture Shock”, as Mr. Krabs takes advantage of the customers’ anger towards Squidward. At least SpongeBob tries to save Squidward, using one of my favorite kinds of moments, where SpongeBob says something profound, and the town ends up being like “screw that!”. Though this time there’s a little bit of a twist, as Patrick shows up out of nowhere to start the food fight. Poor SpongeBob gets involved too, he didn’t deserve that patty to the face lol. I also love how Plankton somehow ends up being thrown, like that was a fun little easter egg. The episode ends quite well too, with SpongeBob and Squidward laughing dementedly when Mr. Krabs says there’s gonna be more plays in the future.

Yeah, no, “The Play’s The Thing” is absolutely not boring. And it’s for sure a hidden gem of this season. I really cannot see where the boring came from, because I had a pretty good time here! The only real issue I had with the episode was that weirdly-landing joke with the anchovies, but everything else was pretty good here. A good fit for my “Amazing” tier, that’s for sure.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Another meh episode? Season 7! PLEASE CHILL OUT WITH THE MEH EPISODES! In matter fact yesterday i reviewed this one on ESB.

Here is my exact wording:
"I enjoyed this for the most part but the execution is very vague and the weird joke at the beginning was kinda weird"

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
The Inside Job (Great)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
A Day Without Tears (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
The Bad Guy Club for Villains (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Gary in Love (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
The Play's the Thing (Meh)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
One Coarse Meal (Meh)
Summer Job (Mediocre)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

Back