135a. Back to the Past

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
This is the LAST APPEARANCE of Squilliam. And it’s very minor. And it’s very sad. Because I need him back y’all don’t understand. I need to see this guy in HD.
he does appear in ''code yellow'' an hd episode in a brief appearance

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I know I just started another review with this but…when will Squilliam return from war? This is the LAST APPEARANCE of Squilliam. And it’s very minor. And it’s very sad. Because I need him back y’all don’t understand. I need to see this guy in HD. Clearly Dee Bradley Baker still has the voice down, if y’all have seen those Perch Perkins videos on YouTube. So what’s the big idea? Anyway, this has hardly anything to do with the actual episode. This episode is also part of a fun little Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy two-episode special, as I’m gonna call it. See, this episode is actually 16 minutes long (well, 15.5 but I round), and its sister is, of course, just 8. I actually did not remember this episode being longer or its sister being shorter, but that makes a lot of sense the more I think about it. “Back to the Past” is, in general, a pretty fun episode that I enjoy quite a bit. Y’all remember that online game Legends of Bikini Bottom? There was a mini game in that game based on this episode…ah, good times.

The imagery of the invisible boatmobile is always so delightfully silly, and it starts this episode off pretty well. I also can appreciate when an episode gets right to it like this one does. The locker of memorabilia is pretty cool, and so very comic book gimmicky. I like how at the beginning of this episode, Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy seem to be pretty friendly with SpongeBob and Patrick (I mean it seems like they possibly don’t know them, but I’m choosing to believe that they’re nearly friends by this point…it feels deserved). This episode also reminds me that the last time we even touched time travel in this show (up to this point) was “SB-129” (I think, and hope because I hate being wrong). So it’s been a while. I love the visuals of the time travel in this episode, and I think it’s inherently hilarious that it’s just this storage crate is the time machine.

One thing that…not necessarily bothers me, but I question, is why didn’t Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man just take them straight back to the present? Why have them get out and explore at all if y’all were so worried ‘bout changing history? I know it’s so we could have a plot, but they could’ve just stuck in a “the time machine needs to cool down” or even a good ‘ol “we need time machine fuel” excuse in there. And while we’re here, the one other thing that bothers me about this episode is how unhelpful Patrick is here. I mean he's the reason the future ends up being changed, and unlike SpongeBob he doesn't really do anything to try and fix it either, he just goes along for the ride and messes it all up again! It's a bit frustrating.

I appreciate this episode’s inclusion of Man Ray, because I love me some Man Ray. I also love that Adam West and Burt Ward voice MM and BB in this episode, I thought that was super cool and shows that this show has some real pull in its guest stars. And also it’s simply brilliant lol. The parodies meet the originals…I love it!

The way Patrick completely leaves Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy in the dust is a little bit funny lol, like I thought those were your heroes? But anyway, his actions allow us to see this pretty neat alternate timeline where Man Ray wins. And I really love the vibes here. SpongeBob and Patrick’s obliviousness is also pretty funny. That sign over the Krusty Krab reminds me of Mojo Jojo from The Powerpuff Girls. I also love how Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy end up aging the exact same way too lol. I also really liked how SpongeBob tried to go the “meaningful writing” route by saying that Mermaid Man had trauma from his defeat, when Mermaid Man is like “no I literally have a collar on my neck”. I feel like this was making fun of comics…I don’t know how but I feel like it was.

From here is where the episode starts going into time travel insanity. See, I suppose this episode does not work on multiverse theory LMAO. But having all of these copies of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy is really fun! Especially once it gets super chaotic. I love how especially in the beginning you can kind of guess where each SpongeBob and Patrick (or MM and BB) came from, before it gets completely unintelligible.

I feel like the ending of “Back to the Past” is its best part. And that’s not a knock on it at all! I just think the ending makes me think so much more positively on this episode as a whole since I like it so much, and that’s the goal for any ending, because that means this episode stuck the landing incredibly. Like I said before, this is a really fun episode that really hams it up with the comic book parody. While this may not be my favorite element of this show, these episodes are wholly necessary, and so I will always appreciate them (especially as we near the last appearances of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy).

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.8/10
I expected your rating to be higher but yeah this is a good episode and i want Squilliam to return in a future episode. This is easily one of the most enjoyable episodes and one of the most impressive from the Dark Era I give a Superior rank for me

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
he does appear in ''code yellow'' an hd episode in a brief appearance
I don't even count that one since it's just a gag, and it's not really "him" but more his face on Squidward's.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
What do you mean when Squilliam will "return from war"?

When was this announced and why is this the first time I'm hearing about it?
Oh, I'm just making a joke. It's a thing that people say, "when will XYZ return from war?". Usually people say it when something has been gone for a long time. Like how soldiers go to war for years and then return.

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
I don't even count that one since it's just a gag, and it's not really "him" but more his face on Squidward's.
angai313-spongebob-sad.gif

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode was sadly... Squilliam's last appearance (He would later re-appear as a cameo in Code Yellow). But i think its very funny. Great ending. Amazing amount of humor. The highlight is what? Well it is defiantly The Designated Area Where You Are Permitted by Man Ray, Your Ruler, to Obtain Sandwiches Using Man Ray Dollars scene

Rating: Superior Episode

Rankings:
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
Back to the Past (Superior)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
The Inside Job (Great)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Model Sponge (Meh)
SpongeBob's Last Stand (Meh)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
This Is the last THE LAST appearance that is not a cameo know this episode really does reminds me of sb-129 but Its More over the place than sb-129 its not as weird as I thought it would be all of the reasons I give this a 9.5/10 instead of a 10/10 its just that its bit boring I actually didn't mind patrick in this episode it is very similar to other episodes but its still one of the best season 7 episodes also 2nd worst of season 7? really pieguyrulz?

Back