133b. Squidward in Clarinetland

Tuba95

Dead Inspector
I like the approach here, with a fantasy-world episode, but we don't get to see Clarinetland for a while and when the plot device comes up it's there for not a long time, I dunno. My nitpick here is the chalkboard joke. It's painful and not that funny. The darker imagery though, is awesome. Few months later since my last reply and still 5/10.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Most of this episode is just boring and unremarkable but once the episode goes into the clarinet world it actually gets really cool and interesting and I like the darker imagery. It's a shame that only a 4 minute chunk of the episode is in it.

7/10

Donuts

Floating Shopping List
Really loved this episode. The first half totally roped me in. I was super interested to see where it would go, and there were a few lines along the way that kept me smiling. Everyone felt in character and served a purpose in the story, and once we got to the final act, it felt earned and refreshing, since the rest of the episode had been pretty grounded. Still, throughout the first half, the weirdness kept increasing gradually, with Spongebob's renovations getting more and more ridiculous, and there was definitely a sense of tension building. I think the final joke could have been delivered with more punch, but I liked the idea of that too. I'm watching the series out of order, so I still have a few more to watch, but this is absolutely my favourite season 7 episode I've seen.

Nickelodeon Stuff

Floating Shopping List
This is a really odd episode. I'm guessing the reason why squidward sees all of this because he's probably running low on oxygen inside that locker.

I liked this one. It's got to be one of the most bizarre episodes of the show. But it paid off, because the execution is pretty good! It's also got some funny moments, and I especially like the eagle. He's just so weird and out-of-the-blue that I love it.

Ranking so far:
1. The Inside Job (A+)
2. Squidward in Clarinetland (A)
3. Growth Spout (B)
4. The Curse of Bikini Bottom (B)
5. Greasy Buffoons (B)
6. I Heart Dancing (B)
7. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (B)
8. Kracked Krabs (C)
9. Model Sponge (C)
10. Tentacle-Vision (D)
11. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
12. Stuck in the Wringer (F)
13. Yours, Mine and Mine (F-)
14. A Pal for Gary (F-)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Squidward in Clarinetland” is an episode I’ve been pretty excited to review, and I’m sure for anyone who’s been following these reviews, it’s obvious why. It’s weird! It’s a very weird episode. And I love weird. I mean, I loved “SpongeHenge”, “Gone” (except the ending ofc), “Squid’s Visit”…even “Pineapple Fever” had some elements of weird. So obviously, I was going to love the weirdness in this episode, that’s basically a given.

I already love that this episode starts with the track Honolulu March, because it gives those “Help Wanted” vibes. Additionally, this episode begins with Squidward being uncharacteristically happy and unfazed, which is very similar to “Cephalopod Lodge”, so now I’m interested as to why he’s so happy. As Squidward walks into the Krusty Krab and his uncharacteristic behavior continues, we get a short break from that in the form of Mr. Krabs scratching his claws on a chalkboard we’ve never seen in this restaurant. Clearly, the sound designers have learned from season 6 because this sound isn’t really annoying, even as it’s excruciating in-universe. I love how this episode kind of calls to mind “Born Again Krabs” as Squidward maintains his chipper mood even in the face of all these annoying things happening to him, but eventually he completely loses it when a baby drools on his clarinet. I love that this episode continues a running gag of the whole show with Mr. Krabs being disgusted by actual workplace policies. In this way, this episode is almost like a Krusty Krab business practices plot, except obviously it’s not that in any way.

When Mr. Krabs brings out the locker and we get that morbid line about him having “forgotten about that prank” as there’s a literal skeleton in the locker, I’m taking this to believe two things: 1) Mr. Krabs has killed a man through negligence (forgot the guy was locked in the locker so he starved to death LMAO) and 2) this moment is kind of foreshadowing given what happens to Squidward later. I don’t think it’s meant to be foreshadowing, but I’m taking it that way. I also love all the throwaway lines in this episode showing how Mr. Krabs so…suspiciously or horribly runs his business lol. First he’s on the phone getting rude with his mother, and then SpongeBob says that they share hair nets (ew). It’s pretty funny. Honestly, Mr. Krabs is hilarious in this episode, such as that scene a little later in the episode when someone drops money on the floor and he goes apesh**.

From here, the episode starts getting weird, and I love it. And I like that it starts off pretty slow. It starts with SpongeBob just putting velvet lining inside the locker, which is odd but not out of character for him. And then he walks in with a bunch of construction equipment, which makes us question wtf he’s about to do. And then we get the reveal that SpongeBob made an entire huge index system inside the locker, which already looks unnerving with its dark hallways and endless-looking filing cabinets. SpongeBob clearly went to the Doctor Who school of dimensional engineering.

Of course, this isn’t the end of it, as Squidward returns to work only to hear increasingly concerning construction sounds. And now the inside of the locker is even larger than before, sending Squidward on a wild goose chase that feels like my anxiety dreams. The music cues in this scene really sell the weird feeling, and then Squidward starts chasing SpongeBob who’s only laughing. Honestly, this episode almost feels like a very, very kid-friendly, watered-down version of a creepypasta. All we need is a reveal that this place that Squidward is in is purgatory and then we’d be set.

I love how once Squidward finds Clarinetland (or the Horned Forest), his hat ends up disappearing. I’m taking this to mean that this is foreshadowing that he’s simply dreaming/having a psychotic break. Also, the background art for Clarinetland is gorgeous. And this part of the episode is where things get truly weird, as there’s just a giant bald eagle head that ends up saying that Squidward isn’t “worthy” to play his clarinet, which throws Squidward into a bunch of weird and random chaos. Like the scene with the mirrors, literally what was going on there? We also get a surprise Patrick appearance with the pinball scene. And then when a vacuum appears out of nowhere, I’m choosing to believe that this is a reference to “House Fancy”.

We then get the reveal that Squidward must have been dreaming or something, as the locker opens with just a velvet-lined inside, and Squidward sitting inside of it, before he melts onto the floor. I love how we get literally no explanation for what happened to Squidward LMAO. Like when did the dream begin? I’m assuming after SpongeBob lined the locker? Squidward shoves SpongeBob in the locker, which is kinda not deserved given that Squidward was dreaming(?) everything, but it’s funny so that’s fine lol. And then the ending of the episode is great, with SpongeBob just randomly being in the case so he could bring Squidward his clarinet, and Squidward just running out of the audition in horror. Someone on the wiki was talking about how the whole dream Squidward had symbolized his anxiety over the audition, and I think I'll be adopting that interpretation, because that means this episode had some real tight writing, and we love to see that. Also, I think it makes sense.

“Squidward in Clarinetland” is a fun, yet very unexplained episode. And that’s fine with me, I don’t need an answer for every single thing that happens in this show. I think Squidward was just dreaming though, obviously. Anyway, this episode is also really funny, and really shines with some of its throwaway lines. A great addition to my “Amazing” tier, that’s for sure.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
What a weirdly good episode.... As in weird but good. The weirdness is the highlight and its so weird its funny and fun. While i dont like weird episode in general this one on the other hand was good. I also just love that ending!

Rating: Amazing Episode

Rankings:
Squidward in ClarinetLand (Amazing)
The Curse of Bikini Bottom (Superior)
The Inside Job (Great)
I ❤️ Dancing (Good)
Kracked Krabs (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful (Alright)
Model Sponge (Meh)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (Despicable)
Yours, Mine and Mine (Despicable)
A Pal for Gary (Despicable)

Bmv277

SoBob RetroPants
imma give this one a strong 7/10
i will admit a LOT of it is cuz of the visuals but can you really blame me?
this is a really interesting episode through n through when it comes to that
the story is just okay but i mean
if you want a fun kinda trippy adventure to just turn your brain off to then this is a great episode to do that for

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
Spongebob in randomland had more about the more weird stuff but it wasn't some of the weirdest i mean dream hoppers was weirder and much better than sleepy time in my opinion but this one took the weirdness of some episodes and took it to the max sure it doesn't have red mist like spongebob in randomland it has the weirdest atmosphere overall while the first half is decent the 2nd half is problaby the best part about this episode while this is 7B it has really bad pacing at the start it makes up for that for being the funniest season 7 episode i like the 2nd half and the place where squidward goes and sure it might feel like a squidward torture episode its not that boring its really interesting one of the best season 7 episodes and one of the best post movie episodes 10/10

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
This episode felt like a fever dream personally. Not a bad episode though, haven't watched it in a while but I still remember it well. Interesting.

I honestly could compare it to SpongeBob in RandomLand, both random episodes. Weird episodes.

7/10 episode!

Back