130b. Model Sponge

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Not better than ''As Seen on TV'' for me....decent though..I liked SpongeBob's expression of his face at the end , and the beggining was funny, good quotes, nothing really bad in this episode apart from some moments that were forgettable and boring ...7/10 from me :thumbsup:

I rewatched the episode now! Still not better than ''As Seen on TV'' for me...but it's a really good episode with funny moments and good quality quotes! My favorite moments were when Patrick was taking SpongeBob's fridge and the ending...I also liked the misunderstanding of this episode , because Mr.Krabs was talking about a baby clam and SpongeBob thought he was talking about himself and that was funny too...It was also funny when SpongeBob was trying to compare to Squidward (for the height) :P , 8.5/10 :D

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
This is another one of those episodes that exists, and not much else. There's nothing that stands out or is memorable about this episode, but nothing about frustrated or annoyed me and it's not too boring.

5.5/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
Model Sponge was very interesting episode. SpongeBob thought he was fired except he wasn't. The episode wasn't too bad or too good.
Rating: 6/10

Pretty meh episode. I didn't find much of it funny, nor did I find much of it entertaining. It was just pretty average. The commercial was good, though.

Ranking so far:
1. The Inside Job (A+)
2. Growth Spout (B)
3. Greasy Buffoons (B)
4. I Heart Dancing (B)
5. Model Sponge (C)
6. Tentacle-Vision (D)
7. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (F)
8. Stuck in the Wringer (F)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I didnt really care about this episode it was boring and had waaaaaaaay too much SpongeBob torture yet we do get a really heartwarming ending this episode was just atrocious

Final Rating: 3/10 Terrible

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I actually liked this episode. Some of the scenes did feel on the unnecessary side, and there could've been a little more comedy here and there, but the episode tells a decent story with a truly hilarious segment of Spongebob getting dragged around in the advertisment.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, our first forgettable episode of season 7. I do actually remember this episode, but in general I don’t think it’s very talked about. I personally don’t think it’s actually forgettable or even unremarkable, but I think that might be the general consensus. And I’m not sure if people think this, but I can see someone making the argument for it, and I don’t think that this episode is a clone of “As Seen on TV”. It has some similar elements, but I would never call it a rip-off. I mean, we already know that I hardly call anything a rip-off unless it’s literally copying things 1:1 so…lol.

One fun thing about this episode is that it uses the fact that SpongeBob is a sponge. I like when episodes do that. And this episode places it front and center, which isn’t done very often. I feel like the last time it was done so blatantly was in “Suds”, but there could be others I’m forgetting about. This beginning scene of SpongeBob cleaning the mirror is fun, and I love how he trash talks it before cleaning it. Reminds me of “The Krusty Plate” (god I miss the shorts, can we bring that back). This episode also involves SpongeBob being a little more full of himself than usual. That’s not typically a characterization I enjoy unless done well (hence why “As Seen on TV” only got a good-tier rating), and so far at least it isn’t too bad. SpongeBob’s insecurity is also tapped into a bit in this episode, which is something I feel like we haven’t actually gotten since season 5. Not that that is exactly a character quality I love, but I mean it can be done well. It seems like this episode is drawing on quite a few older elements we haven’t seen in a while. Should be interesting.

This episode also provides some nice dramatic irony in that we find out that the “little guy” in question is not SpongeBob (which is predictable of course), but rather a scallop. And then, we get a Gary appearance, so that’s an instant win for sure! I’ve been missing my little guy (lol). Patrick’s surprise appearance in this episode is pretty good too, I love how he’s like “sorry to interrupt your fit of self-loathing”. And the part where he’s like “you can still buy food for me” is hilarious, and then I love how he and SpongeBob get all into the drama together once he realizes that SpongeBob can’t buy food for anybody. I also love that Patrick is legitimately trying to support SpongeBob here…god I needed this so bad after that episode.

Another thing I like about this episode is that we’re leaning all the way into that adult side of the child-adult line. Especially when SpongeBob starts woefully talking about how he won’t have money to buy anything, like whew just got real for a second there. And we also see SpongeBob deal with (perceived) unemployment and looking for a job in the newspaper. Seeing SpongeBob try out some different jobs is also interesting, because we’ve seen him work almost exclusively at the Krusty Krab for 7 seasons straight, so it’s nice to see something new. I loved the reference to “Missing Identity” in the bank teller part as well (I better start collecting these references to bring up to all the people who think that the newer seasons reference old seasons too much. I know that this middle era doesn’t do as much referencing as the newer ones, but I think it would be good to show that this show has always done references lol). I also love how consistent this show is with SpongeBob being literally unable to do anything else but be a frycook. It’s funny every time!

I already said this but like I really am just sagging in relief at how much I like Patrick’s supporting appearance in this episode. How long has it been since I didn’t even have to qualify that statement? I also think that this proves that despite popular belief, Patrick did not become the worst character on Earth in season 5 or 6 and then never have any good showings. I’ve seen plenty since season 5. I’ve seen plenty of bad too, of course, but there’s been plenty of good!

The episode hits a snag when for some reason it starts bringing in the annoying noises…why are we doing that? Can they please, please, please stop doing that? At least there’s some fun visuals along with it. And the way the lady at the desk roasts SpongeBob is hilarious, so it helps make the scene better in retrospect. Once SpongeBob gets the audition, that utter confidence he has in himself returns, and he starts pulling a bit of an “As Seen on TV”. And you know what, I like it! Probably because he’s not pulling a “Porous Pockets” and being a jerkwad to Patrick.

And then we reach the shoot, which turns out to be for a commercial, so SpongeBob can be his kitchen sponge self. I have said this many times, but I’m not a fan of SpongeBob being gratuitously naked. However, this episode does it in such a funny way I actually don’t mind it. The director here is actually hysterical. And I love how this whole shoot is basically a call-back to “Suds”, Hans and all. Hans really gets around! Working at the doctor’s office, now working on a commercial shoot, he’s got it all. The commercial scene is also just hilarious, poor SpongeBob lol. You know what this reminds me of? That one fake ad from MAD, the Cartoon Network show. I suppose that technically the bit would’ve been influenced by this episode, but I think it was more influenced by SpongeBob in general. If you haven’t seen the bit, please do it’s hilarious (the entire show is hysterical).

Eventually poor SpongeBob has enough, because just refuses to do the toilet, and we reach the end of the episode. I love how Mr. Krabs is extremely confused here, but then just manages to turn the situation to his advantage. At least SpongeBob gets to use tools to clean the toilet. And then I love how Hans is just randomly in the bathroom too as the episode ends. Good ending.

I really liked “Model Sponge”. It’s really funny, really enjoyable, and fills me with satisfaction and glee in seeing both Gary and a really supportive Patrick. This episode is like a balm for the hurts I’ve been exposed to lol. And it also helps season 7 get back on track, because that’s now 3 really good episodes that we’ve had in a row! Can we keep the streak going?

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I didnt really care about this episode it was boring and had waaaaaaaay too much SpongeBob torture yet we do get a really heartwarming ending this episode was just atrocious

Final Rating: 3/10 Terrible
I will have you know my rating is higher than this.

My review in 2021 has in fact updated. This is a boring episode with no humor but its a guilty pleasure for me due to the ending.

Rating: Meh Episode

Rankings:
The Inside Job (Great)
I ❤ Dancing (Good)
Greasy Buffoons (Good)
Growth Spout (Okay)
Tentacle-Vision (Okay)
Model Sponge (Meh)
Stuck in the Wringer (Mediocre)
Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy (Despicable)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I think this episode is a bit of a sleeper in this season. It's starts out pretty generic, but I actually like the direction the story takes with Spongebob trying to get a job that takes advantage of his... y'know... Sponginess. The scenes in the middle aren't terribly interesting, but they manage to at least keep my attention for a little while which is a plus. I also like how Spongebob and Patrick are potrayed here, with Spongebob being timid yet eager to set out on this escapade and Patrick acting like a mentor towards him. It's a dynamic that I think has been sorely missed within the past few seasons. I like the commercial scene as well; it's a nice subversion of expectations and it actually makes sense that that would be Spongebob's breaking point. I feel like it was a bit short and could've been funnier, but hey, I'll take what I can get. Overall I thought this episode was a pretty pleasant experience with a simple yet solid story.

Good episode (7/10)

1. Growth Spout (7)
2. Model Sponge (7)
3. The Inside Job (6)
4. Greasy Buffoons (6)
5. I ♥ Dancing (6)
6. Tentacle-Vision (5)
7. Someone's in the Kitchen With Sandy (4)
8. Stuck in the Wringer (1)

Back