12b. Employee of the Month

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
6.5/10

I find the second half to be a really great thing, but the beginning was kind of bland. I do like some of the humor, and the rivalry is nice, but other than that it's okay at best.

Naughty Nautical Neighbors: (10/10)
Ripped Pants: (10/10)
Tea at the Tree-Dome: (10/10)
Help Wanted: (9.5/10)
Pizza Delivery: (9/10)
Plankton!: (9/10)
F.U.N: (9/10)
Boating School: (8.5/10)
Bubblestand: (8.5/10)
Culture Shock: (7.5/10)
Reef Blower: (7.5/10)
Pickles: (7/10)
The Chaperone: (6.5/10)
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy I: (6.5/10)
Home Sweet Pineapple: (6.5/10)
Employee of the Month: (6.5/10)
Opposite Day: (6/10)
Squidward The Unfriendly Ghost: (5.5/10)
Nature Pants: (4.5/10)
Sandy's Rocket: (4.5/10)
Hall Monitor: (4/10)
Squeaky Boots: (3.5/10)
MuscleBob BuffPants: (2/10)
Jellyfishing: (1.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one easily one of the shows most fun and funniest episodes. The animation and visuals here were very clever. Plus the jokes were funny like the "Annoy Squidward Day" joke.

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
F.U.N. (Amazing!)
Pizza Delivery (Amazing!)
Reef Blower (Amazing!)
Opposite Day (Amazing!)
Help Wanted (Amazing!)
Pickles (Amazing!)
Plankton! (Amazing!)
Naughty Nautical Neighbors (Amazing!)
STUFG (Great)
Employee of the Month (Great)
Squeaky Boots (Great)
Bubblestand (Great)
Jellyfishing (Great)
MMABB (Great)
Ripped Pants (Okay)
Boating School (Okay)
Hall Monitor (Okay)
Culture Shock (Okay)
Tea at the Treedome (Meh)
Jellyfish Jam (Meh)
Sandy's Rocket (Meh)
The Chaperone (Bad)
Home Sweet Pineapple (Bad)
MuscleBob BuffPants (Bad)
Nature Pants (Terrible)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
"Employee of the Month" is one of those episodes where I feel like it has achieved "classic" status, but then I realize that it's actually extremely forgotten about. While I also don't regard this episode as a classic, I don't think it deserves the treatment it gets in this way. Really, this episode feels like a proto-version of "Pressure".

I think this episode gives us yet another good look into Squidward and SpongeBob's dynamic, while also flipping some of that dynamic on its head by having SpongeBob consciously antagonize Squidward. Now, I've said before that I don't think SpongeBob should ever be malicious when it comes to hurting Squidward, and I still stand by that. This episode is different though, because firstly, everything SpongeBob does to Squidward, Squidward does right back, and also, SpongeBob isn't hurting Squidward for the sake of it, this episode is about them competing. It's not an unequal exchange of blows, so it isn't grating to watch. I appreciate that we see SpongeBob actually get jealous and protective of his position of prized employee in this episode, because it makes him a more interesting character.

This episode relies a lot on slapstick, which although not my favorite form of comedy by any means, does its job well here. And slapstick isn't the only form of comedy in this episode anyway. There's plenty of witty and wordy humor as well. My mind immediately went to the alarm clock gag. Watching Squidward and SpongeBob slowly grow insane through the course of the episode is just too funny, especially the ending where they're frantically cleaning the Krusty Krab, trying to make themself look like the best employee.

There really isn't much to say about this episode other than what I already have. It's not a very plot-heavy episode, most of the minutes instead being taken up by running gags. This is neither a good nor bad thing, just a writing decision, and I think it works well enough for this episode. Yes, at some points it does get repetitive, but I don't think this episode would have worked nearly as well without us spending minutes watching Squidward and SpongeBob attempt to one-up the other. Mr. Krabs is a little weak in this episode, but given that he's little more than a supporting character, that makes sense. The ending of this episode, while fitting, isn't the kind of stinging ending I like to see, so that makes "Employee of the Month" shine a little less brightly in my eyes.

"Employee of the Month" sits right on the edge of my "Good" and "Great" tiers because although I do find it funny, I have to admit it is a bit repetitive, and if the jokes aren't hitting right on a certain day, then the episode falls apart because of its reliance on running gags. On the flip side, this means that if the jokes are hitting, then the episode is fantastic.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
"Employee of the Month" is one of those episodes where I feel like it has achieved "classic" status, but then I realize that it's actually extremely forgotten about. While I also don't regard this episode as a classic, I don't think it deserves the treatment it gets in this way. Really, this episode feels like a proto-version of "Pressure".

I think this episode gives us yet another good look into Squidward and SpongeBob's dynamic, while also flipping some of that dynamic on its head by having SpongeBob consciously antagonize Squidward. Now, I've said before that I don't think SpongeBob should ever be malicious when it comes to hurting Squidward, and I still stand by that. This episode is different though, because firstly, everything SpongeBob does to Squidward, Squidward does right back, and also, SpongeBob isn't hurting Squidward for the sake of it, this episode is about them competing. It's not an unequal exchange of blows, so it isn't grating to watch. I appreciate that we see SpongeBob actually get jealous and protective of his position of prized employee in this episode, because it makes him a more interesting character.

This episode relies a lot on slapstick, which although not my favorite form of comedy by any means, does its job well here. And slapstick isn't the only form of comedy in this episode anyway. There's plenty of witty and wordy humor as well. My mind immediately went to the alarm clock gag. Watching Squidward and SpongeBob slowly grow insane through the course of the episode is just too funny, especially the ending where they're frantically cleaning the Krusty Krab, trying to make themself look like the best employee.

There really isn't much to say about this episode other than what I already have. It's not a very plot-heavy episode, most of the minutes instead being taken up by running gags. This is neither a good nor bad thing, just a writing decision, and I think it works well enough for this episode. Yes, at some points it does get repetitive, but I don't think this episode would have worked nearly as well without us spending minutes watching Squidward and SpongeBob attempt to one-up the other. Mr. Krabs is a little weak in this episode, but given that he's little more than a supporting character, that makes sense. The ending of this episode, while fitting, isn't the kind of stinging ending I like to see, so that makes "Employee of the Month" shine a little less brightly in my eyes.

"Employee of the Month" sits right on the edge of my "Good" and "Great" tiers because although I do find it funny, I have to admit it is a bit repetitive, and if the jokes aren't hitting right on a certain day, then the episode falls apart because of its reliance on running gags. On the flip side, this means that if the jokes are hitting, then the episode is fantastic.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8/10
1668705183734.pngthis episode has alot of great visuals/closeups

Back